PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express 2008

BabyBun
08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know if Magical Express is still being offered for 2008? Will it still be free? Thanks.:mickey:

playdead88
08-06-2007, 06:31 PM
i booked my 08 package yesterday and chose DME as my transportation so its being offered with 08 packages - if i remember correctly i believe i read somewhere there was a contract signed with MCO that took DME through 2010 -also there was no mention of DME not being free when i booked yesterday - hope that helped :mickey:

DizneyRox
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I think the contract was extended for ME until 2010 or 2011... As for it being free, everything point to yes, at least for 2008. Room rates and DDP went up, I'm sure (if only partially) to cover the "free" transport.

Piglet822
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
DME's contract with MCO was extended to 2011.

I'm not sure if it'll be free or not.

Figgyluv03
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I was playing around with the quotes on the website and the price rate didn't change when I entered to use it both ways, so I'm assuming it's free.

Donalds Duckie
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
If you look at packages on WDW dot com it says that DME is complimentary. So, it's still free for 2008 anyway.

Figgyluv03
08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Do you guys tip your driver? I mean they are getting the luggage for you and everything? It's been so long since I've been to Disney and the last time I was down there, I took Mears to my apartment complex for the college program, but I really can't remember if I tipped or not.

DizneyRox
08-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Do you guys tip your driver?
No, "free" is free...

I mean they are getting the luggage for you and everything?
Actually, your luggage gets to your resort using a different service, so mostly the DME drivers DO NOT handle your luggage. Unless you pick it up at baggage claim and bring it with you.

It's been so long since I've been to Disney and the last time I was down there, I took Mears to my apartment complex for the college program, but I really can't remember if I tipped or not.
Sorry can't help you there, although I can tell you DME is basically Mears.

Disneyatic
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
We tipped our driver last year.
He was very friendly and did load all of our carry-on luggage under the bus and then unload it for us when we got to our resort.
I can't remember how much we tipped, I think like $5.

Figgyluv03
08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Liz!!

CleveRocks
08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
although I can tell you DME is basically Mears.I disagree. I bring this up only because many WDW veterans have bad memories of Mears, and thus, for many people, equating DME with Mears is an unfair insult to DME, whether you intended it that way or not.

DME is basically Disney. It was designed by Disney, is managed by Disney, the policies and procedures are Disney's.

They subcontract the buses and the drivers to Mears. But Mears doesn't make any of the decisions, Mears doesn't decide how DME is done. Think of it this way ... Mears is the muscle and Disney is the brains.

On the tipping issue ... DIsney NEVER said that any tips for the DME drivers are included. To blithely say "Free is free" is awfully simplistic, in my opinion. If a DME driver handles any of your bags, whether checked or carry-on, then it is a general convention in our society that that person deserves a tip. Not a rule, not a requirement, just a societal convention. There's no requirement to tip food servers (usually), but we all do that, right? Just my opinion ....

Piglet822
08-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Think of it this way ... Mears is the muscle and Disney is the brains.

On the tipping issue ... DIsney NEVER said that any tips for the DME drivers are included. To blithely say "Free is free" is awfully simplistic, in my opinion. If a DME driver handles any of your bags, whether checked or carry-on, then it is a general convention in our society that that person deserves a tip. Not a rule, not a requirement, just a societal convention. There's no requirement to tip food servers (usually), but we all do that, right? Just my opinion ....

Absolutely correct!! And I couldn't have said it any better.

Mears operates the buses and provides the drivers, Disney runs the show. I mess up, I answer to Disney via my Driver Manager at Mears.

As far as tipping, YES! DME drivers work for tips and they are very much appreciated. We make a lower hourly wage than Disney bus drivers because we can accept cash tips.