PDA

View Full Version : Glavine wins his 300th; is he the last one to get there?

Hammer
08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
How is no one posted this and the Phillies fan has to be the one to do it? Haven't we contributed enough to his total ;) ?

CHICAGO (AP) -- Tom Glavine knows exactly why his 300th win should be savored.
"If I was the last one, I guess it would be pretty cool to be the last one to do something in the game," he said Sunday night after leading the New York Mets over the Chicago Cubs 8-3.
It was vintage Glavine, mixing pitches and fooling hitters, all the things that over the years made him one of baseball's best pitchers. With nervous family and friends looking on, Glavine left with a five-run lead after 6 1/3 innings, and New York's bullpen held on.
"It wasn't a dazzling performance in terms of striking people out. It was an exercise in hitting my spots and changing speeds and letting the guys behind me do their work," he said, a look of relief on his face.
Glavine (10-6) became the first 300-game winner since former teammate Greg Maddux reached the milestone in 2004 while with the Cubs.
"I think the feeling right now is probably relief," Glavine said. "At some point in time, I don't know when, the historic side of it will sink in. I know the company I'm in, and I'm as proud as can be to be in that company."

The club might be closed. Randy Johnson has 284 wins but back problems have plagued him and he turns 44 in September. "I'm not saying I want to be the last one," Glavine said. "I would love for someone to have this feeling and this sense of accomplishment."

The 41-year-old Glavine, only the fifth lefty to win 300, capped a momentous weekend in baseball. On Saturday, Barry Bonds hit his 755th homer to tie Hank Aaron's career mark and Alex Rodriguez became the youngest player to reach 500 homers. Glavine said he spoke with baseball commissioner Bud Selig, who also spoke with A-Rod but didn't get in contact with Bonds.

In his first try for No. 300, Glavine left with a one-run lead at Milwaukee only to watch his bullpen blow it. Wife Christine Glavine, who had slumped in her seat at Miller Park, wiped tears from her eyes as Billy Wagner retired Mike Fontenot on a grounder for the final out at Wrigley Field.

Glavine, who watched from the dugout, came out in a warmup jacket and exchanged hugs and slaps with teammates. He then hugged his children and his wife, giving her a kiss, received congratulations from his parents and waved to the crowd. "It's over with now," he said after his hugging his youngest son.
He was worried that if he didn't win in this start or his next, his children would have to return home for the start of school. "I was more nervous the first time," Christine Glavine said. "I felt pretty calm today. He was actually more nervous. I felt like what you're supposed to do as a wife and you just say, 'You know what, go out there and you do what you've done for 20 years and who gives a [darn] if somebody has to fly to some other city.'"
His face showed her nervousness when Chicago closed to 5-3. Then the Mets pulled away.
Carlos Delgado backed Glavine with four RBIs, and Luis Castillo had four of New York's 16 hits.

Coming off a night of little sleep because two of his children were sick, Glavine felt drained early and put a towel soaked with ammonia on his head when he came off the field during the early innings. "I think I put a little bit more pressure on myself tonight to go out and try to get it done. Once I got to the ballpark I seemed to clam down a little bit, but all day at the hotel I was nervous about it and uptight about it," he said. "I was kind of drained once I got here. "After the third inning I started to feel better physically and started to pitch a little bit better."

Glavine appreciated the warm reception he received at Wrigley Field. Mets fans chanted his name after the game "Tom-mee Glavine!" as he met his family. "It was pretty special moment to be able to hug all those guys on Wrigley Field like I did tonight," he said. "There's no way I could express my gratitude for everything they've done to all of them to allow me to to focus on my career and focus on baseball."

Before a crowd of 41,599 on a muggy night, and with flashbulbs popping all over the old neighborhood park, Glavine allowed two runs and six hits, struck out one and walked one.
He left after Angel Pagan doubled on his 102nd pitch, getting a high-five from manager Willie Randolph on the mound and a standing ovation as he left the field.

Guillermo Mota came in and gave up a single to Jason Kendall. Pedro Feliciano then relieved and gave up an RBI grounder to pinch-hitter Jacque Jones. Fontenot's double made it a 5-3 game, bringing on Aaron Heilman, who retired Ryan Theriot on an inning-ending flyout.
"That was a huge out. That was a big turning point in the game, they were gaining some momentum had the tying run at the plate," Glavine said. "That's about the time where you start going through the 'Oh, no. Not again.'"
Delgado hit an RBI double in the eighth off Will Ohman, and Paul Lo Duca followed with a run-scoring single against Michael Wuertz.
Glavine was the third pitcher looking for his 300th win at Wrigley Field in the last five seasons. Roger Clemens (June 7, 2003) and Maddux (Aug. 1, 2004) both failed.

Glavine, won his first game with the Atlanta Braves on Aug. 22, 1987, was a five-time 20-game winner with the Braves and joined Maddux and John Smoltz to give Atlanta one of baseball's most formidable rotations for years. He captured the NL Cy Young Award in 1991 and 1998, was the MVP of the 1995 World Series and is a 10-time All-Star. He went to the Mets as a free agent after the 2002 season.
Before Glavine, no pitcher had won his 300th game in a Mets uniform although some 300-game winners have pitched with New York -- Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan and Warren Spahn, who won four games in 1965.

There was big news for the Cubs, too,
Kerry Wood pitched the seventh in his first major league appearance since June 6, 2006 after a long bout of shoulder problems. The crowd began chanting "Ker-ry! Ker-ry!" and Wood retired Lo Duca on the first pitch he threw as even more flashbulbs began going off. Wood allowed one hit in a scoreless inning.
Chicago had an early threat against Glavine in the third but instead it ended with a leg injury on the basepaths for Chicago star Alfonso Soriano.

Soriano singled with two outs for the Cubs' first hit and when Theriot followed with a single to center, Soriano took off for third. But Soriano pulled up lame between the bases, favoring his right leg and as he tried to hop to the bag was tagged out easily. He was helped off the field with a strained right quadriceps and left the game. Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Soriano will be sidelined at least two weeks and up to a month.

"It's going to be a tough loss. I don't know what we'll do," Piniella said. "Losing Soriano is the toughest thing about this homestand."
Entering with a .231 batting average this season, Glavine showed his prowess with the bat, hitting a two-out RBI single in the second to put the Mets ahead. Run-scoring doubles by Delgado and Shawn Green off Jason Marquis (8-7), Glavine's former Atlanta teammate, made it 3-0 in the fifth. Reyes had a run-scoring single that chased Marquis in the sixth and scored on Delgado's groundout.

Scar
08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
No, he won't be the last.

C. C. Sabathia has a shot. 95 wins, just turned 27. If he can aveage 13.5 wins a year and pitch to 41 he'll do it.

Of course, he'll have to pitch for a team that contends almost every year (sorry Cleveland fans. ;)) Glavine pitched for a winning team in all but I think 5 years. Including something like 14 division winners.

shan-ash
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Yea for Glavine!! As a twenty year fan of the Braves, I am happy he finally got his 300 and that the Braves don't have to face this week:)

Melanie
08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Way to go, Tommy! You are a class act.:thumbsup:

I sure miss ya on the Braves. :(