PDA

View Full Version : Once

Jared
08-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Has anyone seen this movie? It's playing only in small artsy theaters, but Once is easily the best movie I've seen in 2007 and one of my favorite films ever.

Since this thread has 50 views and no replies, I wonder if anybody has heard of this movie. If not, search on Google or one of the movie review sites like Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic.

Advnt05
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I haven't seen this one but have read a lot of positive reviews. They are really marketing it well by sending the duo around doing concerts around the country. Unfortunately for me, the nearest theater to me is over 1 hour away. I'll probably catch it on video.

Jared
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen this one but have read a lot of positive reviews. They are really marketing it well by sending the duo around doing concerts around the country. Unfortunately for me, the nearest theater to me is over 1 hour away. I'll probably catch it on video.
I'm surprised no theater in Atlanta is showing the film. At least somebody else knows what I'm talking about.

NotaGeek
08-15-2007, 02:17 AM
The trailer looks great, unfortunately there's no theater in Phoenix or the surrounding area showing the film, considering we are the 5th largest city in the USA and we tend to get most films (and we have 2 really good artsy cinemas) it's kind of weird this movie didn't show here, or it did and there it was a really limited release.

Jared
08-15-2007, 10:54 AM
The movie may have already passed through Phoenix. I think "Once" opened in the United States in March. One theater in White Plains, N.Y. has been showing it since. I suppose I'm just lucky.

NotaGeek
08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
The movie may have already passed through Phoenix. I think "Once" opened in the United States in March. One theater in White Plains, N.Y. has been showing it since. I suppose I'm just lucky.
yep, I just checked and it opened in May. No wonder no one's heard of it! If you ever find another movie like this be sure and post early! I love a good independent film!

Jared
08-15-2007, 06:48 PM
yep, I just checked and it opened in May. No wonder no one's heard of it! If you ever find another movie like this be sure and post early! I love a good independent film!
I'm always on the lookout. I'll keep you posted, and I expect you to do the same. :)

NotaGeek
04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Ok, so I FINALLY saw this movie. it was good, and I did enjoy it. My only criticism is that some of the musical interludes were WAY too long. The story was amazing, but it definitely wasn't a musical per se. I like that they called it a "music film" on the cover.

I wish more people saw this film, and I would actually really like to know if the soundtrack is worth buying? :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Ok, so I FINALLY saw this movie. it was good, and I did enjoy it. My only criticism is that some of the musical interludes were WAY too long. The story was amazing, but it definitely wasn't a musical per se. I like that they called it a "music film" on the cover.

I wish more people saw this film, and I would actually really like to know if the soundtrack is worth buying? :thumbsup:

Hey Michael! I love this film and bought the soundtrack a few months ago. It has all the tracks from they guy's record on it, the street songs, and the girl's piano solo from the scene in the recording studio. Even the song the guy sings on the bus! I listen to it a lot at work, it's very soothing.

diz_girl
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Saw it, loved it, got all weepy at the end. As for the music, 'Falling Slowly" did win the Oscar this year for Best Original Song, so I'd expect the rest of the soundtrack to be good, since the rest of the music from the movie was also good.

Just an aside, it's weird, but songs that were nominated for or won the Academy Award for Best Original Song used to be good, memorable and usually chart-toppers. Then, around the 80's, that changed. Maybe it was because the dawn of MTV (which I used to love), but now the songs up for the Academy award are neither successful nor memorable and rarely any good. The only hits of recent note were rap or hip-hop songs. 'Falling Slowly' is both good and memorable, but not a hit, probably because the film, although very successful for an independent film, was hardly a blockbuster.

NotaGeek
04-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Saw it, loved it, got all weepy at the end. As for the music, 'Falling Slowly" did win the Oscar this year for Best Original Song, so I'd expect the rest of the soundtrack to be good, since the rest of the music from the movie was also good.

Just an aside, it's weird, but songs that were nominated for or won the Academy Award for Best Original Song used to be good, memorable and usually chart-toppers. Then, around the 80's, that changed. Maybe it was because the dawn of MTV (which I used to love), but now the songs up for the Academy award are neither successful nor memorable and rarely any good. The only hits of recent note were rap or hip-hop songs. 'Falling Slowly' is both good and memorable, but not a hit, probably because the film, although very successful for an independent film, was hardly a blockbuster.

Well, I suppose that the nominations for best song can only be as good as the music that comes from the films that get the nomination. There haven't been "Titanic" type songs for a few years, but I think it's actually better when film companies look towards smaller scale musicians to fill their music needs.

There's a cool list on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Song) of the entire history of nominees/winners in the best song category, and to be honest there is merely a handful of rap and r&b numbers on the list, but looking at the names of the songs there are lots that are memorable, the films however, as you said are another thing.

Aggie97
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I saw this movie and thought it was great -- just a really wonderful story! :thumbsup: