PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used a GPS device in the parks?

janebanks
08-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Was curious to know if any of the parks have been mapped into any existing GPS software/devices? Or just WDW property outside of the theme parks? Has anyone experimented with this?

Polynesian Dweller
08-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Yep, used GPS on the last few trips. Not exactly sure what you are asking, but the parks are included in the mapping software for the major brands, not tremendous detail but if you know the park the map shows you where you are.

What do you want to use it for?

Disneypixie513
08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
My dad uses a Garmen and he uses mapsource for like the programing for the waypoints and stuff.

janebanks
08-04-2007, 10:11 AM
the parks are included in the mapping software for the major brands, not tremendous detail but if you know the park the map shows you where you are.

What do you want to use it for?
Not wanting to use it for anything in particular -- was just curious to know if the parks themselves (paths, rides, walkways, train tracks, etc.) had actually been added in.

So, there's no Disney detail? - attributes about the rides? restrooms? counter service areas?

Was just thinking how neat it would be if you could get the actual park map in your GPS device!

emmingo
08-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Thats a really cool idea, actually...kind of a GPS/Pal Mickey combination. Sounds like I need to program something for my iPhone for my next trip...:)

We've used phone map systems before, but they haven't been helpful for much other than getting around inside the World itself. I know that there is a Wiki out there that is incredibly detailed, but the GPS maps I've seen are just roadways (and, for me, the location of every Starbucks and McDonalds within driving distance).

pixiesmimi
08-04-2007, 07:21 PM
We used one in June around the parks and it was very accurate but not inside the parks. That would be cool if you had one that worked in the parks to help you figure out where to go instead of trying to read a map.

Polynesian Dweller
08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Not wanting to use it for anything in particular -- was just curious to know if the parks themselves (paths, rides, walkways, train tracks, etc.) had actually been added in.

So, there's no Disney detail? - attributes about the rides? restrooms? counter service areas?

Was just thinking how neat it would be if you could get the actual park map in your GPS device!

Not that level of detail. There are some things but really its quite limited. You can, however, create you own waypoints with that information and load them to the GPS. I've done that for some of the things I like, walkway trailheads, washrooms, restaurants etc.

I'll tell you what they are great for. Finding your car in a parking lot. Mark its location before you leave the car and when you return your GPS will take you right to it. Works great!

GiltterDisneyGirl
08-05-2007, 03:38 AM
rofl! lol ok that is too funny you make me want to buy one to just use it at WDW. lol

The reason i'm lauging is because i'm picturing some one the park using a GPS instand of a park map. lol

TheRustyScupper
08-05-2007, 11:13 AM
1) Used one once.
2) We got the location off by about 2º.
3) Ended up at Universal.
4) Now, we just say, "meet me at Space Mountain".
5) Seems a lot easier.

janebanks
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I found a company that makes theme park maps to upload to your GPS device - yes, WDW and Disneyland are included. If you want info, please PM me.

scoot241
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Could you send me the link to the theme park GPS maps?

Thanks!