PDA

View Full Version : WDW Rated & Reviewed - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (The Real One)

Red Randal
08-03-2007, 05:03 PM
It took three tries, but I think I've figured out this whole posting thing. You'd think I'd have learned somewhere around post 1,000 or so.

My roller coaster countdown continues with the second of the World's coasters, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad...known amongst our lazier posters as "BTMRR."

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

"Hang onto them hats and glasses, 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Intro: Opened in the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland in 1979, "Big Thunder" helped turn a mostly empty and, in many ways, boring section of the park into the most crowded and constantly trampled land in the Magic Kingdom (of course, it was the addition of Splash Mountain a decade or so later that really pushed things over the top.) With Disneyland's Matterhorn bobsleds and Tomorrowland's Space Mountain, Disney toyed with the concept of a roller coaster that the whole family could enjoy. This was achieved by taking what were essentially "wild mouse" coasters and "plussing" them (as Imagineers like to say, or so I'm told) by giving them stories or putting them in the dark. Big Thunder Mountain would be on a much grander scale have a much deeper story and much more closely resemble a real roller coaster than anything else Disney had attempted. Let's see how it turned out...

Queue: Through a "wild west" themed maze of mining tools and other such things, guests weave towards a train depot at the bottom of the "cavern" like queue. The idea is that guests are preparing to head out to a mining site to strike it rich.

Ride: The trains (yes, they are actual mine trains here) move out of the station and weave around the dark for a while (hey, this is starting to look familiar) before making their way up a lift hill towards sunlight...and A WATERFALL!! Relax though, because it's a swerve and nobody gets too wet. Instead the trains go down a hill and into some helixes past rock formations and cacti.

It's past some mining equipment and through some tunnels and caves before heading up a second lift hill. This gives riders a moment to catch their breath and catch a glimpse of the WDW Railroad trains going by and of the various bits of theming strewn about. The trains head down the hill and over a few bunny hops then turn into a mine.

After the mine, it’s over a few more hops and then down into a helix, past some dinosaur bones (strange for Disney to let us know that an innocent Tyranosaurus Rex died for our enjoyment) and and a geyser before pulling into the station.

Thoughts: Well, my review is pretty terrible because roller coasters don’t translate too well to play-by-play. The idea is that a big flood came through and mangeled the train tracks, thus resulting in the wild ride. There are little things that you need to look fast with a keen eye to see that help tell the “flood” story. Note that the rivers of America are nearby and that there is a geyser. At various points there are things like a guy floating on a bathtub in a small tidal pool that are meant to show that the river wasn’t meant to go through this area.

Really, though, the story is completely unimportant and the ride’s merit exists soley on account of it’s nature as a roller coaster. That having been said, the ride is good but nothing spectacular. Once again, the themeing is much more elaborate than a roller coaster you’re likely to see any run of the mill Six Flags but from a coaster enthusiast’s standpoint, the ride is nothing special.

Nevertheless, Disney was getting better at doing roller coasters and then next time they built one in Orlando (almost 2 decades later) they tried their best to knock it out of the park.

Overall Rating: *** 3/4

SBETigg
08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
This is a solid five star experience for me. True, if you're looking for a great coaster, this is not it. And most Disney coasters aren't. But that's the beauty of Disney! It's not just about banks, curves, hills, and thrills. It's all about the theming, and this has it in spades.

There's the "wild ride" element, where- if you have the imagination- you can buy that you are on a train running out of control. Wheee! There's something new to catch the eye around every corner. It's just plain fun. Every time I get off this ride, I am shaking with laughter. That makes it a winner for me.

dolphinmickey9170
08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
We love Big Thunder. But I must admit, the front car is quite......um.....boring. I truly prefer the caboose, if you will.

IloveDisney71
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree that BTMR is not a big thrill ride. BUT I think it is a perfect ride for Disney. It was the first roller coaster I ever rode - I think I was 9 or 10 at the time. It was a great first experience because it was NOT terrifying. :) I still ride it several times during every trip. I especially like to ride it at night1

Polynesian Dweller
08-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Like the other Disney coasters, its about the entire experience and the plain fun of the ride. I have more plain fun on BTM than many larger coasters. Its not always about the thrill. :mickey:

January-2007
08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mainemajor
08-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Riding it during the daylight hours it's ok, BUT at night its really great :number1:

True Disney Fan
08-03-2007, 07:07 PM
:number1:One of the best rides in MK.

We just returned from the World, and my 7 yr.old grandson could not get enough of the BTMR while there.:mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Riding it during the daylight hours it's ok, BUT at night its really great :number1:

agree totaly, riding thunder at night is like no other experience! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BritCody
08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
A great ride and yes it is a different experience at night

emmingo
08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
I love it. It was better when I was littler, but its still a really fun ride...and better when its dark and spooky and you can't see where you're going!:crazy:

DisneyGRL7
08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I gave it 4 stars. I enjoy it mainly because it's a roller coaster, but I never even knew the flood story that accompanied it. But as was stated in the review, it's average by roller coaster standards.

Kurtoon
08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
I Must have a "ride the ride" on BTMRR
hold on to hat's, glasses, and autogragh books!!!:mickey:

Fantasmic
08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I love BTMRR but I still voted for average, as it's only a truely good ride in the backseat

DisneyFreak23
08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
, as it's only a truely good ride in the backseat

Totally! i give it 4 stars :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Stu29573
08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Roller coasters are a two edged sword. On one hand you have the people who want a fun ride with some thrills, on the other hand you have people who aren't satisfied unless they are seeing the handburger they ate before the ride revisit them. "I am the ghost of Lunchtime past....." I usually try to avoid feeling like I need to barf, so I guess I fit into the first catagory. The point is, you are never going to please everyone, and rating roller coasters is subjective at best, and useless at worst. That being said, I gave it five stars....By the way, I do think the back story adds to the ride....:mickey:

PirateLover
08-04-2007, 11:40 AM
If you REALLY want to have the wildest ride, try riding at night in a back car. Holy floating bathtub batman! Fun times. Never fully appreciated this ride until I had that experience.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Probably my favorite ride in MK. I can't wait to take my boys on it for the first time at night this year. We are going to MNSSHP on 9/14 so I figure that will be the perfect time. They love it during the day so I know they will love it even more at night!

septembergirl
08-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I picked "average but still pretty fun" but I really don't consider it a must do attraction. I found it to be a little bumpity for my taste. And it was exremely hot in the summer to stand in that line.:(

garymacd
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
We love Big Thunder. But I must admit, the front car is quite......um.....boring. I truly prefer the caboose, if you will.

I agree completely. And, while you're at it, try and ride after dark! The ride takes on a whole new feeling. While you are going past the tavern, look in the windows - you can see people dancing and having a grand time. You can't see this during the day.

Best ride in the park. I love hearing my daughter laugh when we get off this ride. One night, during EMH's we rode this ride about ten times in a row. There was hardly any line. We just walked down the ramp and back on.

Excellent!

snifflesmcg
08-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I voted that it is average. It's a great ride but it's nothing something that is spectacular.

Red Randal
09-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Bump! Enjoy all the glory of my roller coaster countdown...ending only a month late!!

LoriMistress
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
This is one of my favorite rides. I was upset when BTMRR was closed for our November 2003 trip. But this time around, it's going to be open for my December trip, and I'm excited. I just love the theming of this ride.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I agree it is much better at night. Last year it starting to pour down rain while we were waiting to ride. It was actually a lot of fu to ride in the rain. Most people left the park and we just kept riding the rides in the rain and had a great time.

Jared
09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Your star rating is way too low! Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of the best attractions in the Magic Kingdom and an absolute Disney classic. It's not thrilling like Expedition Everest and other intense roller coasters, but Big Thunder Mountain Railroad oozes with theming.

Tink#64
09-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I completely agree with you "Disney_nut"! It is one of my fav's & an absolute must do for us every visit! I'm not a thrill ride junkie, nor a coaster enthusiest. But it's the ride along with the theming! In my opinion, it's just another example of what sets Disney apart from the amusement parks.:coaster:

WEDTOPIA
09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
If this isn't a must-do at MK then I don't know what is.

Truly inspired themeing and always a fun ride , especially at night. The " thrill " is only a piece of any Disney thrill ride. The only point is to have fun , and I thinK BTMRR ( Yes I'm a lazy Intercotee ) , fits the bill.

By the way , who's the wise-guy/gal who voted " not worth it at a carnival " ?:shake:

:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
09-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I love it -- I love the tie ins to the original "Train Ride through Nature's Wonderland" that was overhauled to make up BTMRR. This is the wildest roller coaster you will ever get me on, that's for sure. It's just so Disney to me -- much more so that RNRC or any of the other new ones, except EE which I call the Matterhorn on Steroids.

mermaidmarian
09-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Your star rating is way too low! Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of the best attractions in the Magic Kingdom and an absolute Disney classic. It's not thrilling like Expedition Everest and other intense roller coasters, but Big Thunder Mountain Railroad oozes with theming.

Yeah - I love BTM too; no one would call me a coaster afficianado - never even been to a 6 Flags or to Universal - but I think this is a terrific WDW ride/attraction, and I never miss it.

One of my favorite details is how they get that smell - I guess it would be diesel and oil - it seems just perfect to me.

And as far as thrills go, I am always screaming when I ride it, and never go through that dip where the dried bones are without yelling "Duck!".

DisneyorBust
09-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I gave it 4- stars. The reality of this attraction is that you have such different, but great rides if you ride this during the day or at night. I must agree that the best place to ride this is as far back in the train that you can get!

4ubie1
09-17-2007, 09:30 AM
This coaster is definately a "must try to do" whenever I am in MK. The only "downer" about the ride is the last two times I went..it was...well down. :unsure: I do enjoy a good roller coaster ride but like someone pointed out, it is not the most thrilling coaster out there. It is tamer than some at WDW but I highly recommend as a good family coaster. I enjoy this one whenever I can. :thumbsup:

beksy
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:
One of my all-time favorite rides and a must-do every trip (several times each trip!). I don't care as much about big thrills as I do the theming and everything so this is great for me. Obviously I've been missing out, though, I've never ridden it after dark! :blush: That's on my list for the next trip! :thumbsup: