PDA

View Full Version : Columbus day, popular Holiday ?

buzz638
08-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but is Columbys day a popular Holiday ?
We plan to be at Disneyworld around that period, and wanted to know if we sould expect larger crowds then usual the week and week-end before. Columbus day is the 8th of october,wich is the same date as the Canadian Thanksgiving.

Thank you for your help

Buzz

Dyanna
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
We booked out trip for Oct 6 - 12th. After we booked it we then found out that most southern states have their school fall recess that same week so that is why it is considered regular season & not value season as it used to be. It''s also during the F&W Festival as well as MNSSHP. Crowds tend to be bigger this week due to this but not as bad as summer crowds as I have been reading. Hope other posters can give us more info.

PeterPanFan
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok here I am. We went last year during Columbus day. WAY WAY WAY crowded. We were so dissapointed. At night the parks were so jammed. You could barely move in Epcot. I called about 3 weeks before our trip to upgrade hotels and everything was booked. Serious. All the way from All Stars to the Grand Floridian.

So now that I have given you the bad news.

Plan Plan Plan. Go to the Magic Kingdom early in the day. Then go to MGM or Animal Kingdom. Stay away from the park with extra hours. They tend to be a little more crowded.

GO TO THE HALLOWEEN PARTY its great plus not very crowded. Spend the money you wont be disapointed. We rode every major ride in the park that night multiple times and still had enough time to enjoy the parade and trick or treats.

Now given all the above info if you can bare 45 mins to a hour ride times you wont be disapointed but we are used to going in the off season and walking up to the front of the lines

Polynesian Dweller
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Yep. We've been there several times over that weekend and its always crowded. We try to avoid it if we can.

GreenBeetle
08-03-2007, 06:08 PM
We went last year during Columbus day. WAY WAY WAY crowded. We were so dissapointed. At night the parks were so jammed.

Couldn't have said it better! We were there last Columbus Day week and it was crowded everywhere - all the time! Even MNSSHP was very crowded on a Wednesday night. We've always enjoyed October, but were very disappointed at the crowds. I guess the October secret is out. :(

mrte62
08-04-2007, 12:41 PM
We were there Columbus Day weekend in 2005.

Food and Wine Festival, Race for the Cure (through AK) also going on.

We found all parks more crowded than expected - including water parks.

In addition, it was very warm (90's) all five days we were there.

We still had a great time and did MNSSHP which was a lot of fun.