PDA

View Full Version : Infants in Theme Parks - a Good Idea?

Goes4FastPass
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I want to ask really (really),

Do parents take infants to theme parks because they really think it's something the child will enjoy or is it a matter of, Mom wants to go and babies, particularly nursing babies, can't be away from mom for the length of a WDW vacation?

We saw the movie version of 'Hairspray' recently and when a scene showed 2 obviously pregant women drinking martinis and smoking everyone in the theater laughed because moms wouldn't think of doing that like they did in 1962.

But how many times in 2007 did we see exausted babies in the MK... at 1am?

I know, every parent thinks they have some extra sensory knowledge about what's best for their child and gets offended if anyone suggests they re-think any decision they make but I have to wonder when a parent says, "I just can't wait til my Dsomething is old enough to go to Disney World" and acts on that statement by not waiting are they really going for the baby or regardless of their baby.

yasmina
08-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I want to ask really (really),

Do parents take infants to theme parks because they really think it's something the child will enjoy or is it a matter of, Mom wants to go and babies, particularly nursing babies, can't be away from mom for the length of a WDW vacation?

We saw the movie version of 'Hairspray' recently and when a scene showed 2 obviously pregant women drinking martinis and smoking everyone in the theater laughed because moms wouldn't think of doing that like they did in 1962.

But how many times in 2007 did we see exausted babies in the MK... at 1am?

I know, every parent thinks they have some extra sensory knowledge about what's best for their child and gets offended if anyone suggests they re-think any decision they make but I have to wonder when a parent says, "I just can't wait til my Dsomething is old enough to go to Disney World" and acts on that statement by not waiting are they really going for the baby or regardless of their baby.

Woo hoo! :woohoo: this one is going to get good!

Personally, I don't understand anyone who takes a child under 3 (at least). But that's just me.

I can't wait to read this thread!

magicman
08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I think its a great idea for FAMILIES to go to WDW. Sometimes every family member isn't the "perfect age", but whether they be too young or too old to get the "perfect experience", it is still an experience that is magical for the entire FAMILY.

- Leave No Babe Behind!!!

The Magicman

pook@wdw
08-02-2007, 06:48 PM
It has to be the latter! There's no way the trip can be for the infant, as the infant can't understand nor will they remember the trip. :confused:

merlinmagic4
08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
We brought our one year old "regardless" I guess. I have two other children ages 7 and 10. I wasn't about to leave the baby home! However, we also spend very short days in the parks and are NEVER out a 1am with exhausted children. Although, an infant is easy in that he/she can sleep in the stroller. What I'd like to know is how people have their older (say 3-11) year old kids out at 1am!!!!!!!!! ;)

magicofdisney
08-02-2007, 07:03 PM
My youngest was 10mos old his first trip. Did he enjoy it? Absolutely! Did I keep him out till 1:00AM? Absolutely not! Did my other children, girls 6 and son 8 enjoy it? Absolutely! I don't understand those who think a toddler or anyone under 3 shouldn't be there. Are you kidding me? Should we deny the older kids because they have a sibling that must wait until someone's preconceived idea of an appropriate age? I have my own ideas of an appropriate age to begin in the parks, but by no means do I feel the need to questions others on it.

I do think you may want to define what age you are specifically referring to when you say infant. :mickey:

Mickie the Pooh
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
You may really really want to ask, but it really really isn't your business what other people decide for themselves and their families is it.

John
08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
!!! Warning from the webmaster !!!

I just don't understand why these topics come up over and over again. All they end up with is hurt feelings on both sides of the issue.

I am warning everyone involved - tread lightly or the thread will be closed and then deleted.

mickey&missy
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Our next trip in March will be with a 9 month old, 7 year old and 5 year old. Do I expect the little one to have any idea whats going on? No. Do think we're going to have any problems? No. Do I think he'll enjoy the trip? Absolutely. Would I stay out with him (or the older two for that matter) until 1am? Absolutely no way! Do I think WDW is for families no matter if there kids are 9 months or 9 or 19? Yes.

We've never, except for MNSSHP, stayed in a park much past 8. Usually we're back to the hotel after dinner, which is usually around 6. It's important to know your childs boundaries. I know that my kids may act like their fine and ask to stay later but I know that if we do, we'll pay for it later.

Our first trip, DD was just 4 and DS was 2. I know that they probably won't remember any of it when their older. But, the memories that DH, myself, my MIL and FIL have them during that trip are priceless.

I wouldn't deny my older 2 the opportunity to have a wonderful time at WDW because they have a baby brother. I wouldn't leave littlest DS with someone for a week. We're all going to go and have a fantastic time!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Do I think that my son, at one year old, remembers any of his first trip to WDW? Of course not. Did he have a great time while he was there? Of course. Was the trip more for DH and I? Of course. Were we going to leave our DS home with other people? Of course not. Could we have gone somewhere else for vacation? I guess so, we didn't want to. Selfish, Maybe.

My younger son went when he was 5 months old. Same questions as above, except now you are adding an older sibling to the mix. Eventually we had my DD too. What is the "right" age for WDW??

I will tell you this. My kids are never pushed to exhaustion. They are very well cared for in the parks, at the hotel and at home. Everything we do is in their best interests. We have avoided many nights of fireworks, shows, etc at WDW in order to get our kids back to the room and in bed by their 8pm bedtime. If we thought we were harming them in anyway by taking them to WDW we would wait until they were older.

I guess this topic confuses me. I hope I don't come off as offended because I truly do not get offended by this question. It just makes me wonder why people really have an issue about young children being in the parks, etc. My daughter was just shy of 3 our last trip (not "old enough" by someone's standards previous) and she had just as much of a good time as her brothers, DH and I had. The look on her face was priceless. And yes...She remembers everything about the trip and talks about things I did not even remember daily.

:)

larandtra
08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
It is left to the individual family and our opinion of others decisions on when its ok to take a child to DW is inconsequential.

poohbear813
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I have always wondered about seeing newborns in the parks. It wasn't really because of the late nights (babies sleep anywhere) it was the heat I was more concerned about.
I think it's a decision that has to be made by each individual family :). My children are 4 and 5 and they haven't been yet. We live close enough that we don't stay overnight and I know my kids (especially my son who is autistic) wouldn't enjoy a marathon day.

chefmickey3
08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Just my two cents from experience, my children love DW and they are hopefully developing a lifelong passion like their dad and I. My oldest (5) has been six times and can recite the entire opening to the HM. He probably knows the parks better than most adults. Even at 3 years old he had memories from past trips and would say stuff like "Remember when we did this..." We didn't remember until he reminded us. For us it works - we would never stay out until 1 am. Once during the trip we stay for Wishes. No Illuminations or other nighttime shows. Disney is one of the only vacation destinations designed for families where the entertainment is included! We have such amazing memories of the babies in DW. And to see their faces when they meet Mickey for the first time... even if they won't "remember it" we have pictures!

Mommy2boys
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I think its a great idea for FAMILIES to go to WDW. Sometimes every family member isn't the "perfect age", but whether they be too young or too old to get the "perfect experience", it is still an experience that is magical for the entire FAMILY.

- Leave No Babe Behind!!!

The Magicman

I agree!

CandleontheWater
08-02-2007, 10:01 PM
The first time I went to WDW I was 9 months old, do I remember it? no, do my parents? you bet they do! They still talk about how Pirates was my first ride and how much I smiled during Dumbo. I'm proud of being indoctrinated to WDW at such a young age and I'm happy to know I litterally cannot remember a time before the magic touched my life. I'm sure my parents were responsible for my well being in the parks, but for arguements sake, even if they did keep me out to 1am, I obviously suffered no lasting side effects (except for Disney obsession :mickey:). I love seeing children in the park, even infants. I think that is part of what makes Disney so special is that everyone, from babies to grandparents can come together and have the times of thier lives (even if neither of them remember it). I can't wait to have children and take them to the parks and introduce them to something that has been such a positive force in my life. I'm certainly not going to waste years waiting until they are old enough to remember, because even if they don't remember with thier mind, they'll hold the memories in thier hearts forever.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Speaking from experience....Once a mother has a child to most that child does not become something that can be tossed aside. That baby becomes the most important part of her life, the reason she breathes. That baby becomes part of her family. I took my son to Disney when he was just 13 months old, and yes we look at pictures constantly and talk about it, he is now 7 and has been there numerous times and has some of the best memories. I can honestly say that we brought him that young not for selfish reasons but because he definately was part of the family, unlike the dog who get boarded when we go away. Disney is a family atmosphere and it tough to find that anywhere else. My son has also traveled to virginia beach, wildwood nj, ocean city, niagra falls, different theme parks close to home, and yes we brought him along, well because frankly he is part of the family. We like to travel and Disney happens to be one of the places we visit most. Even when we are not there Disney seems to be our favorite subject! LOL!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
08-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I have mixed emotions about this one.
Personally, I would NEVER EVER take my child to WDW until they were at least 2. At such young ages, they get hot, tired and hungry alot more than older children. You have to have strollers, snacks, naps and alot of patience.

With that in mind, my parents took me, 9 my brother 7 and my sister who was only 7 months old back in 1988 (Our first time). We went again in 1989 with my sister only being 19 months. I told my mother she must have been insane to take 3 kids, especially with one so small to Disney. But she did it! They did luck out, my sister was an incredibly well behaved baby and yes, when she was 19 months she was able to enjoy it a bit.

I think what upsets the original poster is that some parents don't take into consideration how much of a toll even a day trip can take out of child so small and they do push them to exaustion.

So, in conclusion, I would never do it but to each their own.

DonaldDuck1117
08-03-2007, 02:41 AM
Personally I'm not going to even consider taking my future children to Disney until they are at least 4 years old. They won't remember the trip before that, or even really comprehend where they are/what is going on. If there is an age difference, one is 5 the other is 1-that's what Grandma is for :thumbsup:-have a week of bonding with her grandchild, and the child will have just as much fun there as they would at Disney...or in a cardboard box for that matter.

Lizzie
08-03-2007, 02:59 AM
We took our twin girls at 7 months and are taking them again at 17 months.

Right now I now the vacation is for us. The memories are something I will cherish. The picutres they can look back on.

I go to Disney for a vacation and I want to be there with my whole family. And enjoy hanging out with each other.

When the girls were little it was easy. We gave them bottles and in the heat of the day we were in airconditioned rides or often in the baby center.

This next trip it will be harder because the kids are older but are very aware of the need for naps and breaks. We don't care about slowing down we are excited to take it easy and watch the girls reactions. We also have no problem getting back to the hotel at a decent hour for the girls to sleep. If we want to stay out we will look into one of the babysitting services.

We don't have anyone to leave the kids behind with and we have done the beach and other vacations and my husband and I admit were Disney people and will do Disney at the pace which is healthy for the kids.

Fantasmic
08-03-2007, 05:22 AM
Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten

It's entirely a personall choice as to whether someone brings their infant to the parks.

merlinmagic4
08-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I have mixed emotions about this one.
Personally, I would NEVER EVER take my child to WDW until they were at least 2. At such young ages, they get hot, tired and hungry alot more than older children. You have to have strollers, snacks, naps and alot of patience.

Yes, moms have strollers, snacks, naps, and lots of patience!!!!!!! It actually makes for a very relaxing trip for everyone when you have an infant because you have to rest and take it easy :cloud9: My family vacations everywhere together. You don't need to stay home for three years every time you add a baby to your family ;)

sonayo74
08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I think it's up to each family to decide for their children. Some very young children or infants may not be able to handle that kind of vacation, some can. If both parents or all the adults on the trip help out, I believe everyone can have a good time regardless of age.

Gottaluvgoof
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I honestly think, to each their own. I myself, did not take my kids until they were three years old. I have four children, so there were times babies were left behind. To me, it was no fun for them, and no fun for me either, carting them around in the heat. With having four kids, it was nice to spend time with older ones while the babies stayed behind with relatives, or with DH who enjoys Disney but not NEAR as much as myself. He was perfectly content to stay home with the babies and the remote control, while I went to Disney with the older kids. Now, the kids are 11, 12, 14, and 16. We can all go, although, now we have the DS 16, who has no desire to go. He stays with relatives while we all go. The Circle of Life...lol :D I say, do what you're comfortable with. No right or wrong answer.

mainemajor
08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Our next trip in March will be with a 9 month old, 7 year old and 5 year old. Do I expect the little one to have any idea whats going on? No. Do think we're going to have any problems? No. Do I think he'll enjoy the trip? Absolutely. Would I stay out with him (or the older two for that matter) until 1am? Absolutely no way! Do I think WDW is for families no matter if there kids are 9 months or 9 or 19? Yes.

We've never, except for MNSSHP, stayed in a park much past 8. Usually we're back to the hotel after dinner, which is usually around 6. It's important to know your childs boundaries. I know that my kids may act like their fine and ask to stay later but I know that if we do, we'll pay for it later.

Our first trip, DD was just 4 and DS was 2. I know that they probably won't remember any of it when their older. But, the memories that DH, myself, my MIL and FIL have them during that trip are priceless.

I wouldn't deny my older 2 the opportunity to have a wonderful time at WDW because they have a baby brother. I wouldn't leave littlest DS with someone for a week. We're all going to go and have a fantastic time!

A great big "GOOD PARENT AWARD" to you. For knowing your children's limits and including the entire family on family trips. You, unlike many others posters are realistic about what infants remember and act accordingly. You are wise to realize how important is is for your other children sharing the time at Disney with their younger sibling. They will always remember the fun they had with the entire family. I hope you have a great trip with your family.

avantgardeinker
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
It's personal preference... If you don't want to take your infant to DW, then don't. But I don't think you have a right to trash talk the parents that decide to take their babies. I took my daughter when she was 7 weeks old. We had a group of 3 families going and then DH and I found out we were expecting. One of the other families backed out and then we felt bad that my in-laws would be going by themselves, so we decided that as long as DD was okay we would still go. She was perfectly healthy and we had a wonderful time. I'm not going to sit here and try and justify myself to you. If that's your opinion, that's fine. But don't bash others that have a different opinion. Just because people do things differently doesn't make them wrong.

126 more days!!
:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I didn't read everyone's responses because I was pretty sure there might be some unhappy people. I understand the OP's question, and I think it is better phrased as "Why do SOME people push their infants past reason at WDW." That instead of how many would interpret it as being an attack on a family going together. Because frankly, some parents do treat their babies badly. We see sunburned feet, cranky babies who need to return to the hotel for a nap but the parents want to ride, ride, ride all day ,etc.... and I think that bothers most any parent.

Families come in all kinds and with people of all ages, understood. If, by some strange series of events, we adopted an infant before November, we'd have two six year olds and a baby. Would we still go? Yes!

Would I be out all night lugging a baby? No way! I'm afraid my vacation would tend to revolve around what the baby needs, while my DH takes care of the older ones. Sure, we'd end up together a lot, but we'd be separate by necessity too.

And would we leave the baby in the stroller while we rode POTC, no.......... but that's another thread :D

Flower
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Our reason was different:

We took DS 2 in February 2006. We split our stay between Coronado Springs and DH's parents house near Lake Wales Florida. While we were there, my in-laws asked us to vacation the following February (2007) and stay at their house to dog sit so they could go on a cruise with the people at the park they lived in. OKAY!!! Twist my arm for a Florida vacation!! What we did not know, is that while we were staying at Coronado, we brought home a 'little Disney Souven'ear'!!

When I announced I was pregnant at Easter the first thing my father-in-law said was 'Your still coming to Florida in February right? We already put a deposit on the trip.' We had already decided that yes, we were still going and why not? I was on maternity leave and did not have to take time off work, and we had already traveling with 1 child so what difference would 2 make.

Our trip with a 3 month old was great! As someone stated, we HAD to take breaks and the baby care centres are awesome! I wish more places were so child friendly. Most rides are accommodating for babies and there was so much we could not go on because of our 3 year old that with the baby it did not matter. February was a cooler time to travel as well.

Everything worked well traveling with the baby, so good in fact that we are flying down this September to stay at Disney (kids will be DS 3.5 & DS 11 months) and are considering driving down to stay at the in-laws for Christmas.

Just to add:
We are NOT pushy parents, we know our kids limitations. If either needed a break, we would take one. We always planned hotel time in the afternoon and if our 3 year old was too tired, we stayed at the resort. In fact, one afternoon we just arrived at MGM and he started crying and acting crazy. After being there for no more than 10 minutes and knowing there was no way he was going to last, we turned around and headed back to the room. DH stood in line with him for about 45 minutes to ride the Astro Orbiter. Once at the top and front of the line Brandon decided it was too scarey - DH backed out and left the ride. We would never be 'THOSE' parents that force their kids to try something they are not ready for.

SurferStitch
08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Okay, this is from someone without kids yet, but here goes....

I USED to think people who brought infants were crazy, but I now see it in a different way. Of course, if you have older kids and a baby, you want the whole family together, and you don't want the older kids to have to wait years until the youngest is old enough, so the whole tribe goes. Works for me.

Also, I think it's fine if the parents want a trip to WDW, and bring their baby along. Sure, it's a trip for the adults, but so what? Believe it or not, parents don't have to give up their lives and sit at home with a baby. My parents would just pack us up and go with the flow. My parents never had an issue with vacationing with a baby. It just changed the experience for them (in a good way).

The argument of "why take a baby...they won't remember anything" doesn't hold water with me. Just because a baby may not remember the trip, doesn't mean they don't need stimulation.

So, with that logic (of why waste the trip), that means the baby should never go anywhere or see anything until they can remember it? That makes no sense. Babies need stimulation to properly mature and develop mentally. Just because the baby won't remember anything, doesn't mean they shouldn't experience something. Believe me, while they won't understand the business behind WDW, they will absorb a lot of what's going on around them, and they will have a great time.

So, that's just some insight from an adult without children yet.

MinniesMom
08-03-2007, 10:50 AM

I just don't understand why these topics come up over and over again. All they end up with is hurt feelings on both sides of the issue.

I am warning everyone involved - tread lightly or the thread will be closed and then deleted.

I agree! This is a loaded question meant only to provoke an emotional response. It's obvious what the poster's point of view so in essence he/she is truly asking parents to defend their choices as parents (hidden behind a WDW question.) Is this really the spirt or nature of this board? I'm not opposed to a good debate but this is a question better suited for a parenting message board rather then "WDW Themeparks."

Goes4FastPass
08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think a child (or baby) has to be old enough to remember a family trip to WDW to benefit from it. We're planning to take a 2YO on an extended family trip next year. Will he remember it? No. Will the rest of us? Always, I hope.

If it's a family vacation then I agree no family member should be left behind... but each of them affects the "total plan" whether it's using a wheelchair or being to short to ride some headliners or grandma who insists we ride Dumbo again because for her it isn't a trip to WDW unless you do. All for one, one for all.

We're not going "for" him or "regardless" of him. We're already planning who's heading back to the room for his break while his mom rides Tot and RnR - two of her favorites. We won't need baby swap at SplMtn during a super late EMH because by then, the little guy will be 'riding' a Pack & Play.

As far as "I just don't understand why these topics come up over and over again." goes, it seems like over and over, or at least periodically, a thread comes up that seems to say, "I've been to WDW every summer for the last 11 years and next summer I'll have a 2MO... I couldn't possible miss a year... are babies allowed in clubs at Pleasure Island?" Maybe I've see too many Britney parenting stories... and too many babies enduring long theme park days.

magicofdisney
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think a child (or baby) has to be old enough to remember a family trip to WDW to benefit from it. We're planning to take a 2YO on an extended family trip next year. Will he remember it? No. Will the rest of us? Always, I hope.
I think the problem is your original post hinted at disapproval of little ones in the park. I'm sorry if I took it out of context, but I think many would agree with me. If you had stated your opinion up front, maybe so many would not have been defensive. But so far I think we've all remained civil.

offwego
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Growing up our family had age difference issues to be aware of.

I was I think 7 my DB was 5 my other DB 1 on our first trip as a family and it was great (at least from fuzzy memories and wonderful photo's).

Having said that DS was 5 his first trip and my DB choose to only bring one DN (5) and leave the other (then just 2) with his other grandparents..I think it's a personal choice re the idea of a trip.

And only the parents can make the call as to when enough is enough. In any group of people you will get some who make good and bad choices..it's nice that here on intercot so many come to research how to make good choices for themselves..

Jfamily
08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I am going in three weeks with my mom, and my three kids (9,7, and 8 months). Am I crazy? Probably, but I am going for the memories of my mom being their with the kids. Will the baby remember. No, But he will have pictures and our stories. We rented a van so if we need to leave the park in case of a melt down. It is possible you just need a plan for all problems.

wedway76
08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree that you shouldn’t deny your older ones a trip just because they have an infant sibling. I don’t see any reason not to bring a baby to WDW.

Whenever I see a family with a real little one in the parks, my reaction is usually “WOW that’s a parent with patience” and frankly I’m a little jealous, because I know I would never be able to do that.

As long as the baby is safe and happy I say Bravo.

Long hours for a child of any age happens to be a pet peeve of mine. Anyone that’s been in the parks at midnight or later knows that at that time WDW often doesn’t seem to be “The Happiest Place on Earth”.

irish1967
08-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe I've see too many Britney parenting stories... and too many babies enduring long theme park days.

People tend to notice the overstimulated, unconsolible (spelling?) infants but the ones who are well rested and appropriately enjoying the vacation tend to be overlooked because they aren't doing anything to attract the negative attention (it's like the "bad" CMs - which ones do I notice and remember? The one who was having a bad day or the 50 that acted as I expected or the children being forced to ride something they don't want to ride - I don't notice the ones that the parents are walking out the chicken exit, assuring them that it is ok, I notice the ones who are being forced to ride. )

As for the EMH - well, you only see the babies that are enduring the long park hours because all of the happy babies have been taken back to the hotels to sleep :cloud9:

fairies*n*fireflies
08-03-2007, 02:14 PM
As a parent of 4 kiddos ranging in age from 16 down to 2, it's really no choice for us as to whether we take a baby on any vacation. Be it, WDW or the beach or anywhere. Its just part of being a family for us. We took our 2 youngest for the first time when one was approx. 2 and the little one was about 6 months. Did the baby remember it? Definately not. The 2 yr old did though. She begged to go back all through out the year. The following year we went back and our youngest was 2 and her sister was 3. Whole different ball game. Both thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the characters. Even at the age of 2 they have both remembered their trips and to this day (a year later) are asking all the time when we are going back?

When the youngest was an infant, we dealt with the parent swaps. Luckily for us, my parents always accompany us on our WDW trips and since my mother doesn't ride the big rides, she will sit in the shade or shop with the little ones while the rest of us hit the roller coasters. It works out great. We definately don't try to do our trips in the summer. It's way to hot and crowded and it only makes for cranky family members, EVERYONE.

I personally wasn't offended by the question, but feel that just because you have an infant, you shouldn't punish the whole family and hide in the house until they are old enough to go. By then, the oldest kids are missing out and that is not fair to them.

Dicecatt262
08-03-2007, 02:20 PM
One of the best memories of MY life is seeing my 17 month old play Eskimo with Minnie Mouse...the look of sheer joy on that baby's face...will she remember it? No. But at that moment she was in baby heaven, and so was I!

We take mid day breaks. And there is only one time she was out later than 8 PM or so, for MNSSHP, and she slept in the stroller.

I think that if a family feels comfortable bringing their little ones, why shouldn't they? My now 2 year old doesn't remember our trip, exactly...but she sure knows characters, and what Disney is...she says "Meenie" and "Aeal" and "Cindy" and "Pooh."

Not to mention, if I waited until she was 5, my oldest couldn't go until she was 16, my twins until they were 11...For what? Because people without little ones think it is too hard, or not worth it? It is worth every second.

Okayy...now that I've said that, in July I saw many families at Pleasure Island at 2 AM with little ones...like 3 years old, 5 years old...heck, even 10 years old is too young for 2 AM IMO. And Pleasure Island??? Not exactly family environment at 2 AM...

thrillme
08-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm terribly wishy washy on this. I love to travel with my son and we're doing "O.K." now...not necessarily GREAT but "O.K.". If we really watch our budget we can afford a couple of "nice" trips just the two of us. We he was younger my late husband had very little leave and we were often quite tight on money especially after buying a new house. Now I'm a little more balanced financially.

I would have LOVED to take him when he was about 4 but it just didn't work out (my husband got cancer when he was 2 then fell out of remission when he was 5). Being that money was TIGHT and we didn't live in Florida going on the trip was a MAJOR expense. We wanted the most "bang for our buck" and have him "remember" the trip. But that was just ME. A lot of people have a LOT more money and/or are much better at budgeting than I and I think it's GREAT.

Being that we live in San Antonio...his very first summer I could be seen pushing a stroller through SeaWorld because we had AP's. He enjoyed the trip and I liked being outdoors and walking. I figure if I lived withing a couple of hours of Disney...that might have gotten a pass and been out at Disney a lot with a baby. So I might be walking in a different pair of shoes.

Also I only have ONE. That's a big difference too. If I had an older child like my sister-in-law had (hers are now 7, 14 and 21)...I wouldn't want to "cheat" the older children out of THEIR time at Disney to wait till the youngest was "old enough"...(Shucks the oldest is married now and expecting HIS first baby).

Also when I go to Disney I do not go to RELAX. I don't believe in that word. I'm a "marathoner" and sleep is for wimps. I'm not at all keen on not being able to ride EVERYTHING. Which when taking my DS at 6 he was able to get on EVERYTHING. I did get him a stroller because he got tired a bit easier. When he wanted to nap I found a shady spot and got me a nice pineapple drink.

At one time I thought some people were crazy for taking babies but then when I added in stuff like OLDER siblings, parents with superior budgeting skills, parents with MONEY, Annual Pass holders or in the area for a non-mouse reason (ie visiting relatives) I can see why someone would take a baby. If I had any one of those reasons I probably would too.

So in all would I take a baby...unlikely. If I should ever have another baby would I still take my 11 year old DS? Yep. Would I take the baby I don't know. Probably because I couldn't bear to be seperated from it.

I guess I just see it as such a "debateable" area with no right or wrong.

Gator
08-03-2007, 03:15 PM
It has to be the latter! There's no way the trip can be for the infant, as the infant can't understand nor will they remember the trip. :confused:

I took my DD when she was 7months to DL. It was rough, but we went because we had free tickets. We then went to WDW when she was about 18 months and she loved it! And for the last year, all she wants to do is watch home video of all our WDW trips. The first point is she did remember the second trip. The second point is she was already quite familiar with a Disney theme park from her first trip(rides, very large characters) which made the second trip much better than it should have been. If I had the money, I'd do the same thing with my DS, but he'll just have to start with a WDW trip when he's about 18 months.

BRJARE3
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I am a person who likes Disney. I am not a huge Disney fan, like my husband. I think it is great for the kids. Personally, my idea of vacation would be someplace cold, hiking in the mountains or skiing. With that said, I am the one who told my husband we had to go this year to Disney. We had always said that we would never go until our youngest was 4. Well, that will be 3 years from now and our oldest will be 8 then. I did not think that it was fair to her to have to wait. She is so into the Princesses and just loves them. She will turn 5 in WDW. Her brother will be 2 1/2 and her sister will be 13 months. My husband and I plan to go back to the hotel with all the kids in the afternoon, for naps and some quiet time. We will be there for 8 nights, but are only doing 5 days at the parks. We want to make sure that we go on their schedule, not ours. If our oldest wants to stay, one of us will take the 2 younger ones back to the hotel for the evening. We do have tickets to the MVMCP and will be going as a family. We will take that night minute by minute and see how the kids do. Again, one of us will take them back if we have to. My parents offered to watch our youngest, but we did not want that to happen. We want to experience Disney as a family, and without her there, it would not be enjoyable, at least for me.

4ubie1
08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I think it boils down to the individual/family. My family never went when my little sis and I were young (we were 10 and 11 the first time we went). My parents didn't see the point of taking us when they would have had to haul us around, when we would not have been able to enjoy all the attractions/rides, and when we were of an age that wouldn't necessarily remember it... basically it would have been too big of an inconvenience for everyone involved.

Now do I think that everyone should wait to take their kids...NO. That is their opinion and choice. Will I ever take my kids when they are young, probably not. I sortof share the same opinion as my parents. But then that is just MY opinion/decision. And trust me, when i get stuck next to a screaming child that the parents don't feel obligated to calm, I wonder if it was the best decision for them. But then, that is their decision and I just move on. :D

January-2007
08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
DH doesn't want to bring our future baby to WDW while they're still a baby. We talked about it a few months ago, there might have been an age, I don't remember. I think each family is different and I just hope that everyone is safe. I agree that it changes once there's an older sibling and a baby, but when I was younger my parents wouldn't take us to WDW until we were older. There was talk about going when I was 3 (I am the baby in the family) but I didn't actually get to go until I was 6. DH on the other hand had his first trip when he was just a toddler, around 2 years old, and he turned out just fine. I don't want to take an infant to the park because I would worry about their safety with all the crowds and germs and heat and just plain being so far from home at that age. But I'm not a mother yet and can't speak from experience.

pixiesmimi
08-03-2007, 09:41 PM
You know, it doesn't matter whether it is WDW or any other place, there will always be parents that don't exactly make the right decisions for their children. But the majority of mothers know what is good for their children and what isn't and won't do anything to intentionally harm them just so that they can do what they want themselves. Mothers are very protective of their young by nature. We took our two girls to DL when one was 5 and the other had just turned 1. The 5 year old had a blast with her Dad while the one year old and I watched and enjoyed and rode the things she was able to go on. She still has her Pooh that we bought her 30 years later as does the older one have her original Mickey. They love them and love the memories of playing with them all those years. We have recently taken all of our DGKs ranging in ages from 6 mo. to 15 to WDW and everyone has enjoyed. We did not keep any out past their endurance. Our youngest DD did not want to take her children until they were over 3, which was her choice. But she did end up taking her 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old this year on a short trip to MK. They loved it and I wouldn't have missed the DGS's reaction to all the characters for the world. It is something he will always remember. The youngest one may not remember it but we will when we look at the pictures of him pinching Mickey's nose or touching Tigger. :mickey: There aren't many places you can take your children these days that is as much fun for the adults as the children and as safe as WDW. We will enjoy it as long as we can, no matter what the age.

By the way, this says this is my 100th post, whoo hoo!, but something is wrong with the counter because I posted about 4 times yesterday and each one said number 99. Oh, well, 100 now! :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
My nephew will be 7 weeks and 6 days when we go at the end of the month. Will he have fun? Well, he's only little so who knows? It's not like he can talk yet and tell us what he wants to do. As long as he is fed and changed, he's happy. Is the trip for him? Heck no, it's for us. Is this the only time he'll ever go? Not a chance! His brother was only 2.5 when he went the first time and he had a ball. And we were those people you see out late with the kid. But he's a night owl. He'll stay up till midnite here at home if he can. And if he's tired, he'll fall asleep in the stroller. Did he have fun the first time? Absolutely!

jszczur5
08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
We didn't start taking our boys to Disney until they were 7 and 8 years old, so I have never been with an infant or toddler. I can tell you, however, that every time I see an exhausted overheated, bored screaming baby, I say "Thank God, that's not me"!

janebanks
08-03-2007, 11:45 PM
The first time I went to WDW I was 9 months old, do I remember it? no, do my parents? you bet they do! They still talk about how Pirates was my first ride and how much I smiled during Dumbo. I'm proud of being indoctrinated to WDW at such a young age and I'm happy to know I litterally cannot remember a time before the magic touched my life. I'm sure my parents were responsible for my well being in the parks, but for arguements sake, even if they did keep me out to 1am, I obviously suffered no lasting side effects (except for Disney obsession :mickey:). I love seeing children in the park, even infants. I think that is part of what makes Disney so special is that everyone, from babies to grandparents can come together and have the times of thier lives (even if neither of them remember it). I can't wait to have children and take them to the parks and introduce them to something that has been such a positive force in my life. I'm certainly not going to waste years waiting until they are old enough to remember, because even if they don't remember with thier mind, they'll hold the memories in thier hearts forever.
Beautifully said!

LovinWDW
08-03-2007, 11:55 PM
My oldest daughter is now 5. Her first trip was when she was 2 and this Oct will be her 8th time to WDW. Does she remember her first trip? Very little of it, but she does remember some of it. Do my wife and I remember her first trip? Every single second of it! We love every trip to WDW but nothing will ever top my daughters first trip. Watching her take in everything for the first time, I wish she was 2 every time we went. My youngest will be 7 months when we go in Oct. Am I expecting her to get anything out of it? No but, we will be traveling as a FAMILY to the happiset place on earth. To each is own.:thumbsup:

kimommy63
08-04-2007, 01:28 AM
My DH and I took our 2 1/2 year old to Disneyland Paris when we were stationed in Europe. I might have waited til he was older if we had been stateside, but the opportunity to see DLP was there are we grabbed it with both hands and we had a wonderful time. We did it at a time of year when the sun wasnt blistering down on us. He was in a child backpack a good portion of time. With a sunshade and a hat on as well. And I can prove he had a ball because from that height he had a birds eye view of everything and was grinning from ear to ear:D. He enjoyed the day trip so much that 6 months later we booked a 4 day trip there and had even more fun. We just factored in quiet time and nap time and snack time and it was great! So no, I don't think the little ones should be left behind if at all possible.:mickey:

teamblackwell
08-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi all,
Not taking a young-one to a Disney park because they wouldn't remember it, is like, not taking a vitamin because you can't taste it.
If we can't enjoy something like Disney, as a family, I think our country is in real trouble.
Ask yourself this; would Walt tell you to leave a child out of a Disney vacation? In his opening day ceremony, didn't he say " I built Walt Disneyland for children and grownups of all ages to enjoy"
Temblackwell

crazypoohbear
08-04-2007, 10:14 AM
My kids have been everywhere we go since birth.
My 2 have never stayed away from me as babies, toddlers or pre schoolers.
I had them, they were mine to raise! (my mother's words!)
Some people don't have family or friends they can leave the young ones with!

Of course I took after my mother, she had 8 kids, moved around the world with every one of them and took everyone with her! :D. She moved from Maryland to Mass with about a 6 week old! just tossed everything in the cars and off we went!
Most of these moves were without a husband around to help out, he had already shipped out.

Just a couple weeks ago my sisters and I were talking about all the "Stuff" you "need" now bringing a newborn anywhere!

I said I don't remember mom even having a stroller or a diaper bag, to which Payroll princess replied " she didn't that's what the older kids were for":blush:
I remember changing diapers on my younger siblings and I was only 18 months older than one of them!
So, I say if you want to and can do it then go right ahead.
A good parent does know their kids limits and abides by those.
I know that #1 son loves thrill rides, we enjoy them together!
#2 son thinks of the TTA as a thrill ride I don't push him to do RNRC he enjoys the TTA with his dad!
#1 loves to adventure with foods
#2 does not AT ALL
We also had them out late at the parks, the loved it and were very well behaved. If they did not like it or wanted to go back to the room for a nap, then we would go back.
both boys were early speakers ( FULL sentences by age 1!)and would not hesitate to tell me what they wanted or needed.

WE are going with a 7 week old in 3 weeks. HE also has 4 year old brother. IF the 7 week old or him mom needs to go back for a break then we keep the 4 year old with us ( if he wants to stay)
As a family you make adjustments as needed for whomever needs the adjustment.
I'm sure the teen boys will want to sleep in and meet up with us later, that's fine
IF the young ones are early risers then off we go!

janebanks
08-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Not taking a young-one to a Disney park because they wouldn't remember it is like not taking a vitamin because you can't taste it.
Brilliant!
:clappy:

PirateLover
08-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I think that it doesn't matter how old the child is... if the parents are good parents. I applaud all of you who plan your trips around your child to include naps and breaks and multiple applications of sunscreen etc.

But yes, it DOES break my heart to see cranky children being drug around the MK at 1am, and to see sunburned babies, and toddlers with no hats/sun protection who look as if they are about to pass out in the midday heat while mom and dad are obliviously staring at the map deciding where to go next. And yes, these instances DO stand out more than the babies who are properly attended to, because it is the mistreatment that draws the attention in the first place! Sometime I want to smack these parents over the head.

When I have my first child, if funds allow, I would love to take him or her to WDW as a baby to get their first haircut and see how they react to the characters etc. And of course it will be a trip "for me" but if my child is anything like me, he/she will love to look at pictures and videos from times that they can't remember to see how much mommy and daddy loved them from the very beginning. :mickey:

merlinmagic4
08-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Some people don't have family or friends they can leave the young ones with!

Yes, and nursing babies can't stay behind either!

jclightchasr
08-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I am the father of 3 and we have taken infants on two trips. The enjoyed it, we enjoyed ourselves. We didn't have the family split up to go. Yes they have to catered to and we go in the late fall to avoid the heat. And we risk taking our own stroller which is very comfortable for napping. We adjust our sleep schedule slightly before leaving so we can stay out late while our little one is crashed in the stroller. Both trips were great, feed em, change em, let them play, and most importantly let them sleep. I plan everything so I plan the daily itinerary for naps that aren't interupted.

floogen6
08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey, all. My husband read the beginning topic to me this morning and I have been thinking about it ever since...

My husband took me to WDW for first time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in December 2004. I grew up in California and have been to Disney Land but never WDW until then. During our fist evening there on Main Street, admid the Christmas carols and falling snow, he proposed to me. As soon as I accepted, I knew this trip could very well become a tradition for us, and the four children we share together from our previous marriages. We married in 2006 and soon after discovered we were expecting our own little bundle. We were already in the midst of planning the first "floogen-family vacation" (floogen being our nickname since we share 2 different last names between all 6 of us) and when we arrived for our week-long excursion I was 6 months pregnant. Our children were 12, 9, 7, and 5 years old at the time and all did great with our long days. We did plan on breaking our days up and heading back to our rooms at Carribean Beach to rest in the middle of each day, believing at least the younger two and pregnant me could use the time in the pool or just to get off our feet. After only one time, the kids didn't want to leave whatever park we were at and I was holding my own just fine. We went off their cues and made decisions based on how we were all feeling as a group. The one evening we chose to do the "extra-magic hours" at Magic Kingdom, it was agreed that I would take the two youngest and head back to our resort to have a calmer, quieter night. They appreciated it and all went just fine. Our whole trip turned out to be so much better than either myself or my husband could have imagined, and we decided while we were still down there that we would be coming back for 2008's Christmas Party.
Our daughter was born December 2006 and obviously will be just turning 2 years old when we arrive to celebrate. We have also invited MANY extended family members to join us for a reunion of sorts to share what fun we have discovered. Our daughter will be the youngest of the whole gang, but will not be left behind our left out. Just this morning we were discussing what slow-paced rides she would be able to go on with us and how some family memebers would probably have NO PROBLEM staying back at whatever resort we end up in so that she can have her down time. Even if it is myself or my husband, we understand the responsiblity to EACH of our children, taking each age into consideration as we make our plans.
I apologize for being so long-winded, but my point comes down to this...

We are planning a FAMILY VACATION. That means non of our 5 children be left out. Just because we will have a 2 year old in tow, we will not be leaving her behind, only paying attention to the appropriateness of rides and time schedules and weather. Strollers recline for sleeping, blankets keep her warm, and I would like to think we are pretty dang responsible when it comes to being parents. Our littlest one may not remember her first trip (outside my belly) to Disney World, but she will have pictures of herself with the whole family that she will be able to look back on as an older child and know that she was just as much a part of our celebrating as her brothers and sisters!! :mickey:

kakn7294
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm the kind of person that could not go on a trip (unless it was a business trip and I had to go) without taking one of my children regardless of their ages until they reach adulthood. We have always taken great pains to ensure that our girls have a great vacation. They were allowed to nap when they need to as infants, they are protected from the sun as much as possible, and they are encouraged to take part in vacation planning. We took our oldest when she was 13 mo old and she had a great time and no, she doesn't remember a thing but we do and we have plenty of pictures. And yes, that trip was for us more than her but we chose to share it with her rather than leave her behind. Our children are a vital part of our family and Walt's vision for the parks was to create a place where families can spend time together - why not take them?

tigger24601
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
as with many other posters, it depends solely on your family. every one knows the limits of their children and themselves. i wouldn't take my 5 month old for the weekend this past January because i knew the physical toll it would take on me. i was still nursing and i was not looking forward to hauling her around disney with only my husband, who was not very into her yet. . i can honestly say that, while i do really want to go, this trip is for my dd. i can't wait to see her reactions and watch her eyes light up. however, we began planning a trip for November. will i keep her out till 1am....i doubt it. it will depend on her. currently she stays up till 9, sometimes 10pm. perhaps we'll leave her with my dm and our best friend who will be going with us. they're not big night owls like dh and i. so we may have to have a night out.

but a side note, she was there at 5 weeks conception, so it is never too early to start.

kris10399
08-04-2007, 05:41 PM
ok, I don't know why people are complaining about people taking their infants to WDW at a young age and staying out late. I took DD at 9mos and will be taking DS at 9mos too. What about the people that take their infants and kids to Vegas and expose them to all of the secondhand smoke and the heat and nothing to do? At least at WDW there are things that kids would like!

MouseDAD74
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I come from a large family, and am the youngest of six. The first time I was in the parks was when I was maybe 3 months old, and I can say thanks to the rest of my family I remember that first trip. We have Super 8 movies that are now on DVD. We've been to the parks about 16 times since including the seven times with my own family (four kids). Everyone of my kids has been to the parks within their first year and thanks to all the video we shoot during those trips, they too will have memories forever. As for staying out late, remember your on vacation and not going to school the next day. Relax and worry less about what other people may think.

MickeysEars
08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
we took my infant to WDW, but we kept our days short. Also, it was not about what she was going to remember. We went for one more trip before it was all about what the children would want to go on. It was funny though, the trip soon became about her and her reactions to fireworks and the characters. She loved it. Her first trip was 15 months and my sons first trip was when he was 10 months. He loved the characters too.

DisneyJunkie
08-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Personally, I think it's incredibly naive for a parent to think an infant would get anything out of a trip to Disney that they couldn't get from a simple ride around the block in the car at home. The infant-through-toddler stage of life is WAY too early, IMO, to take a child to someplace as wonderful as WDW. Their minds aren't developed to the point where they can even appreciate where they are or what they're seeing. Why should a parent be the only one to enjoy it, especially when all they're looking for is a smile on the child's face? You want them to smile, just play a little peek-a-boo with them.

No child between the ages of 6 months and 4 years old (at the maximum) is going to remember a single, solitary aspect of a trip to WDW. Even looking back at pictures, the parent will be the one with the memory and explaining it back to the child later. My opinion is that I wouldn't take a child to WDW until they're of the right age range in which the appreciation for the trip can be retained by both them and myself.....so I wouldn't take a child until they're about 7 or 8 at the earliest.

DisneyJunkie
08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Not taking a young-one to a Disney park because they wouldn't remember it, is like, not taking a vitamin because you can't taste it.

I'm afraid that analogy doesn't fit, because at least they'll get something with the vitamin whether it's tasted or not. Taking an infant or toddler to Disney, when they don't have the ability to even appreciate or remember such a trip is pointless.

DisneyAndRedSox
08-05-2007, 08:28 AM
I am one of those who took my DD as an infant. My DH travels every week for work and was gone to Europe for 2 weeks in the middle of Jan (we live in New England). I had the opportunity to go with my parents and their friends for free and jumped at the chance. Having 4 adults helping with a 9 week-old was the best vacation I ever had! There was times they went off and did their own thing and DD and I hung out in the baby center, but I was in heaven! I took DD again at 14 months, again had the grandparents to help out and she started enjoying some of the attractions, plus with 3 adults it is easy to baby swap. I have one of those rare kids that never naps and is cheery from sunrise to sunset no matter what we are doing, but when we go back at 2 years old you can bet I won't push her beyond her limits, if she starts having melt downs we will just hang out at the pool. If my DD wasn't such an 'easy' kid to travel with, I would never take trips like this! Since we go every year in Jan when it is less crowded we tend to not rush things and take our time. Once anyone gets tired we leave the parks and go back to our timeshare.

I am thrilled that my DD & I will have the memories that her grandparents took her to WDW every year since she was born! I know she doesn't remember the first few years but when she is there she is having a wonderful time and it makes me and my parents happy. If I took the reasoning that "if she won't remember something so don't do it", then I guess I won't take her to Elmo Live in Oct, I will cancel the 'music together' class she attends and get rid of the Baby Einstein and Disney videos and just lock her in her room all day. I can't wait until our next trip when she is 26 months old, she is getting her 1st haircut on Main Street and going to her first Character Meal. Plus with the grandparents there DH and I will get a few 'date nights' out!

Sixx
08-05-2007, 09:16 AM
This is an interesting thread.
Let me start by saying that my wife and i do not have kids. We have been going to the parks together for about 13 years. We live in Jacksonville FL and go to Disney 5-6 times a year. So we love Disney and the atmosphere of all the parks. And children are definitely part of that. Now, my problem with young kids in the parks, is not with the kids, but with the parents. SOME parents, I repeat SOME, think that their kids can do no wrong. I see so many little kids running around causing all sorts of chaos for OTHER people, and the parents just sit there. It is when the parents push their kids too far, that the rest of us suffer. They don't take into condsideration of how their screaming infant, or rowdy 2 year old affects other people. I'm sure i will get slammed for this post, but again, this is my veiw of the situation.
Love ya

Mary M
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't know why people bring kids at all. It's completely inappropriate for children.

I'm not bringing my kids until they're at least 22.

;)

snifflesmcg
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, moms have strollers, snacks, naps, and lots of patience!!!!!!! It actually makes for a very relaxing trip for everyone when you have an infant because you have to rest and take it easy

Sadly, this isn't always true. If it was, there wouldn't be so many kids in state's custody. Some parents only look out for the good of themselves, not their children.

This is an interesting thread.
Let me start by saying that my wife and i do not have kids. We have been going to the parks together for about 13 years. We live in Jacksonville FL and go to Disney 5-6 times a year. So we love Disney and the atmosphere of all the parks. And children are definitely part of that. Now, my problem with young kids in the parks, is not with the kids, but with the parents. SOME parents, I repeat SOME, think that their kids can do no wrong. I see so many little kids running around causing all sorts of chaos for OTHER people, and the parents just sit there. It is when the parents push their kids too far, that the rest of us suffer. They don't take into condsideration of how their screaming infant, or rowdy 2 year old affects other people. I'm sure i will get slammed for this post, but again, this is my veiw of the situation.
Love ya

I won't slam ya! I agree!

Even in everyday life this is also true. It's only intensified when excited parents don't know the limitations of their baby.
In 2003, on the flight down to Florida, there was a child, unsure of age (assumed to be around 1 1/2) who SCREAMED bloody murder at the top of it's lungs for over 3 hours straight. The poor kid probably had ear pain but who knows for sure. Let's just say, the 8 of us in my party on the plane couldn't get off it faster. We actually couldn't even talk to each other because the screaming was so loud.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't know why people bring kids at all. It's completely inappropriate for children.

I'm not bringing my kids until they're at least 22.

;)

:funny:

wdwfansince75
08-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok, I deleted my first response....It made sense, but would have hurt some feelings. I have been to Disney World with grandkids as young as 4 months (twice, for two different grandkids).....Maybe they didn't get anything from the experience, but their families, including siblings and cousins did. My grandkids live in MD, PA, and SC, but know and love each other from the times they have shared, including family trips to WDW.

We have wonderful memories, even some in digital forms, of our trips. Had each family waited until there were no children under four, we would have made only one trip with the entire family, instead of seven. And some of the best memories are those that include infants or toddlers.

Go when you wish. Stay where you will. Do what you want.....but leave a small space, a little time, for others.

Oh, and as for kids on airplanes, after 40 plus years of traveling far, wide, and frequently, I can guarantee that most of the unpleasantness I experienced was because of (in age) adults, not infants. Never saw a drunk child in all those travels!

I absolutely agree that there are many children less pleasant than the ones in my family. Don't have a specific solution, but I guarantee that it didn't take a village to raise my kids.....

pixiesmimi
08-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but the comment about children under 4 definately not have a memory of going to the parks is totally false. My DGS who is now 16 remembers when we took him at the age of 3. My DGD who went when she was 2 and again at 3 has not stopped talking about it for a year now. She definately remembers and will always remember when she first saw Cinderella. The look of awe on her face was priceless and we got a picture of it for memories. They may not remember every ride they went on but they remember seeing the characters and being with the family and having tons of fun. We take our kids everywhere we go and just adjust our schedule according to age. But to leave them at home would not even be considered in our family. But this is up to each individual family and what they think is best for their children. Just know your child's limits and don't try to push them past that.

MouseDAD74
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I would never dream of leaving anyone out no matter how young or old or able. Families who play together stay together. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the parks and have seen a family with a mentally disabled person with them who may or may not understand or remember their experience. But the smile on their faces and the faces of their family members were priceless. The memories for those families, again priceless. Remember this is the Happiest place on earth and that should be for everyone. Those of you who disagree please try to remember that we are never gauranteed tomorrow.

disneynarula
08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
We are going in Sept with at 3.5 year old and a 11 month old. We almost went last January but decided that our baby would be too young.

Now we are going because our Disney Visa rewards point are going to start expring.

I wish the kids were a little older but now is when we are going because of the points thing and to take advantage of free dining.

I have to admit it is mostly for me. DH is not a WDW fan but I really want to go.

That being said I am going to have to change a lot of my WDW past habits. We will most likely be going back to the room early because I refuse to drag two screaming toddlers through Epcot at 1 in the morning.

I think some kids have schedules that can be tweaked so they can stay up late but if your kids are tired they need to go to bed.

merlinmagic4
08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I would never dream of leaving anyone out no matter how young or old or able. Families who play together stay together. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the parks and have seen a family with a mentally disabled person with them who may or may not understand or remember their experience. But the smile on their faces and the faces of their family members were priceless. The memories for those families, again priceless. Remember this is the Happiest place on earth and that should be for everyone. Those of you who disagree please try to remember that we are never gauranteed tomorrow.

Wow, good points. I mean, I'm on the "bring infants" side but you brought up some great points. Our family does everything together and I'm not about to leave the youngest member of our family behind! Our little one is happy to be anywhere that we are!

And about tomorrows, you are so right. My oldest son has TWO life threatening illnesses. We don't sit around waiting for the "right time" for anything; we do it while we can!

DisneyTwinsMommy
08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Let me just say that I can not stand this entire thread, i have been reading it for days and have been trying to refrain from posting... I think that there are many people posting without experience or knowledge... If you do not have infants, then it really shouldn't matter what others do.

When we go next spring our twins will be 6 months old and it will be their first trip. Will they remember? Probably not, but we will be starting the next generation of the Disney magic... Every time I walk down Main Street I am instantly taken back to the same feeling I had when I was a child...(how old was I the first time I remember? i dont know, but it doesn't matter!) All I have are wonderful memories of yearly family times in WDW... I dont even know when I started remembering... I want my babies to have the same "magical" feeling when then "walk right down the middle of main street u.s.a" as I do... And when they are grown, and have their own children, I hope to be standing with them as they take their little ones for the first time... It's about magic and making memories, and if it's a little bit inconvienent for a while, so be it! :mickey:

mickey&missy
08-05-2007, 09:27 PM

:thumbsup::clappy: exactly!

crazeedizneefinatic
08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Let's even step away from the parks for a few minutes. If we were to leave behind small children just becuase they do not "understand" or "remember" certain things, we would never be with our children, LOL. IMHO we have friends who have 2 children that have gone nowhere, simply because of this "they won't remember" or "they are too young" attitude. I can say that they probably don't want to put forth the extra effort it takes to have kids. I can say there children are the most unsocialized beings. They cannot sit still in a car for more than 5 minutes without complaining. Forget an airplane, I could not even imagine. So I do believe that children do get something out of traveling and family vacations at any age. My son has been "on the go" since 3 weeks old. He does not complain on road trips, has never given me trouble on an airplane. I belive out of all the years of traveling and being on the go that he has learned to be socialized. I can honestly say that IMHO I have had more bad experiences with cranky, rude, overtired, loud, obnoxious adults at Disney than children. I too can sympathize with many that have concern with parents pushing their children, I certainly do not agree with that either. But let's think back and realize that adults have done that too. I think children get the bad rap for that more than adults because children do not know how to express "mom and dad let's go back to the hotel". How many times have you run into an adult that could use a good nap themselves?? Just some thought.:mickey:

pixiesmimi
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
I think this subject has been beat to death but I don't always remember everything I did as an adult like our trip to DL in 1977. I remember going and bits and pieces but not everything we did and I was an adult with two small children. But we still enjoyed it while there. It isn't about whether you remember it or not, it is about the fun you have while there. I live in the moment and enjoy life every step of the way regardless whether I am going to remember it or not. (And that is getting to be less and less every day.:secret:) So I think everyone has their own opinion about this and we should all just go to WDW with or without children and enjoy ourselves to the limit. :mickey:

kris10399
08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
"In the late 40s I was watching my two daughters at a park near my home. I thought "this place is SO dirty. It's run by people who want to take all your money." I noticed parents who wanted to leave because there was nothin' for THEM to do.

Their kids would get all upset because of that.

I thought: "something could be built where parents & children could have fun together."

and

"I thought that my work, and company, had an image of real family. Stuff that all ages could enjoy."

These are both quotes from Walt himself. As you notice, Walt Disney never put an age on the entry to the parks. It is a place for families to have fun. Not just the adults.

Flower
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
My son was adopted by us at 18 months of age, we took him to WDW a month before his 2nd birthday, we also took him a month before his 3rd birthday.

He is now 3 years and 5 months of age and almost everyday he talks about going back to Mickeys House - obviously he remembers it was fun, he may not remember specific experiences, but he does talk about some, such as going back on Goofy's roller coaster. Does he get the ride names right , no, but it doesn't matter - he had fun, he has recent memories that he enjoys and he is looking forward to our next trip. He even saves his money so we can go to Mickeys House, and it soothes him to know that 'Daddy is at work so he can make money for us to go see Mickey Mouse'.

I don't care that he won't remember everything, I care that as a family we can enjoy ourselves together! My youngest DS will have his 2nd trip before his 1st birthday, I know he won't remember a thing but I don't care! Walt built Disney for families.

And now I am off to sit with my 3 year old so we can watch the Mickey Mouse Club House and dance around to the theme song like goofies - will he remember that when he is older? Nope, but you can be sure I will remind him of it!!!

snifflesmcg
08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I can't belive how many great points on both sides of the story there are.

In a previous post I put I would never take a child younger than 2 (or even 3). However, I DO remember very small bits and pieces of when I was younger than 3. I remember my brother, when he was born, in the hospital when I was 2 years 4 months. I also remember when my parents were moving out of our apartment into a house at 2 1/2.

Dicecatt262
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Guess what? I actually see where you are coming from with that. I really do. I don't necessarily agree with the age of 3 or 4...but 2...yes, I get what you mean. I don't think there is any hard and fast age that you suddenly remember. I do know how that can happen, pictures, other people's memories create your own...

I still don't think it isn't worth doing anything special just because you won't remember anything later. Why is the remembrance part of it so important? What if everyone looked at things like that? What if my husband didn't fly me up to the Grand Canyon for my birthday, because when I'm old I won't remember it? That is more to life than just remembering things, don't you think? Take Disney out of the equation. You aren't truly saying that nothing is worth doing if you can't remember it, are you? I've asked you a couple of times about the whole remembering part...you don't really say anything. But I truly am interested...why is the remembrance part so important? What about the experience "in the now?"

DisneyJunkie
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Guess what? I actually see where you are coming from with that. I really do. I don't necessarily agree with the age of 3 or 4...but 2...yes, I get what you mean. I don't think there is any hard and fast age that you suddenly remember. I do know how that can happen, pictures, other people's memories create your own...

I still don't think it isn't worth doing anything special just because you won't remember anything later. Why is the remembrance part of it so important? What if everyone looked at things like that? What if my husband didn't fly me up to the Grand Canyon for my birthday, because when I'm old I won't remember it? That is more to life than just remembering things, don't you think? Take Disney out of the equation. You aren't truly saying that nothing is worth doing if you can't remember it, are you? I've asked you a couple of times about the whole remembering part...you don't really say anything. But I truly am interested...why is the remembrance part so important? What about the experience "in the now?"

Perhaps, for me, I find an experience more valuable, when it's something I can remember. It's something I can think back on at any time fondly. I'm not one of those "just enjoy the moment" types, because they make me feel like "what was the point?" afterwards. Trips to Disney are almost like the definitive trips to remember. Sure, I remember trips to the beach or other places with my family, but the ones to Disney have always been the most special. I'm not saying doing something that you won't remember later isn't worth doing....there are plenty of things I've done and enjoyed at the moment but can't really remember all that much about it later.

Carol
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM

I am applauded by the behavior displayed in this thread.

INTERCOT does not condone personal attacks OR public bickering within threads. Those are very simple rules to follow and agreed to upon registering for this site.

All such replies have been removed.

Since many did not heed John's warning - this thread is closed!

Perhaps it's a good idea to reread INTERCOT Terms of Service before posting again!!!!!