PDA

View Full Version : Everest angry - forcing a child on

yasmina
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I was so angry on Monday at a family in front of us waiting for EE. They had a 6 yo daughter who was obviously terrified at the idea of riding. They tried the right thing - found a family nearby w/ a young girl about her age who had already ridden and loved it - talked to her and said, "see, if she loved it, you will too".

Then they started threatening her. "We came to DW to have fun and we will NOT allow you to ruin it", " How can you do this to us?", and my (least) favorite "OK, we'll call gramma to come pick you up so you won't ruin our trip".

Even if you're right, and the child ends up loving the ride, is it worth the threats and tears? Not to me.

I made a decision 11 years ago that when my dd's 9 & 11 were born that when they were ready to ride something, they would. No amount of bribery, pushing, cajoling, or guilt would make it any better. Maybe the little girl did end up loving it, but she will always remember somewhere the guilt she was made to feel about it.

Two years ago, my little one - 7yo at the time, wanted to ride the HM. We got in line, and about halfway through she changed her mind. No problem. I would rather she change her mind then than scream the whole time and ruin it for me and all the other guests within earshot. This year she rode RnRC and felt like a hotshot b/c her sister didn't ride it until last year when she was 10.

We never found out if the little girl rode EE. We were stuck in a non-moving line for over 20 min. when finally they announced that the ride had broken down. They gave us all non-time specific fast passes, and we didn't see the family again.

It wasn't my place, but I wanted to tell them about the baby-swap availability, so they would all have a chance to ride.

Hog Wild
08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
How horribly sad. Now I can honestly tell you that I have used the "do you want us to get you a sitter and stay in the room" line when the kids have pulled attitudes. But usually that attitude comes after telling them they can't have the 900th pair of mickey ears:mickey: and reminding them that I begged them to bring the set that they had.

And I don't say it like a threat... more of a choice kind of thing. So the whole conversation sounds like this : honey we aren't going to buy another set of mouse ears. child: why? parent; well we have lots of them at home, and I asked you to bring a pair from home child; but that is last years parent; honey we may have bought them last year but no one here will know. child now in tears parent: here is the choice that you need to make- dry the tears and lets spend the day at the park, or I can get you a sitter and you can stay in the room? which do you want to do? at this point said child usually tells me that I am mean but that they would rather be in the park.

I have NEVER told them that not riding a ride will ruin our trip. Even over the ears, I have never said that! I'm not a big ride person, and I understand that not riding something might actually make the trip more enjoyable!

I really hate hearing that something so trivial as a ride could ruin a trip- not to mention what that is showing the child! As parents we should point out that life is a set of choices, some you have control of- others you can only control how you react to them.

Oh and the kids brought me in their mouse ears last night to pack! We arrive on Friday, and we WON'T be having that conversation! ;) It's only taken about 5 years, but it was well worth it!

Goes4FastPass
08-02-2007, 05:53 PM
It's an amusement park and being afraid isn't being amused.

I would encourage the child but not 'fuss'.

I also think it's important to properly prepare younger folks. "You're going to see a pretend abominable snow man... and if the ride will be fast or in the dark or whatever. I think it's more important for a child to be prepared than surprised.

Still, I would never scold a child about riding a theme park ride.

me...
08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
How about being the person having to tell the parents I'm sorry but I can't allow your child to ride for their safety and ours. I hate doing it but it sadens me when parents are forcing there screaming children who are jumping out of the ride even before it has started.

I once had a man tell his daughter that he's canceling her ballet lessons and they're never taking her on vacation again because she ruined their vacation. She was the sweetest little girl.

merlinmagic4
08-02-2007, 07:00 PM
I would never do this to my children but I do wish they wouldn't do it to me!!!!!!!!!!!

AuntDJ
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I agree that is horrible to guilt the kids into riding..

Before we went, in our planning conversations, I made sure they knew I would never put them in a bad place and that they were comfortable with that..then when we got in line for something, I would whisper, remember what we talked about..you know I wouldn't take you on something too scary..and this usually calms them down...

the only ride I have ever really insisted they try is Haunted Mansion, as the pre show is MUCH scarier than the ride itself, and I knew that once they got on it they would love it...and they did, it is now in the top two rides at the MK

DJ

5fromabove
08-02-2007, 07:28 PM
That's horrible!! Poor little girl!

We have a DD (15) who tries any/everything, she always has. She's a thrill seeker rides wise (I was the same way). Contrarily, our DS (11) is quite nervous about rides (and many things). When we were at WDW in '04, he was 8, and my Mom waited with our younger 3 while DH and I got in line for Mission Space with the older 2. We didn't know what to expect, and DS had always had a vivid imagination...so I wasn't overly surprised when it was our time to "board" and he went in one side of the "shuttle" and ran right out the other side. :D He panicked and got scared, later telling me he thought he was really going to space and what if he "messed up his 'job' as pilot". Guess that movie at the beginning is a bit too real! Anyway, I of course went running after him. DH and DD rode. When I caught up with him, he was afraid he "ruined my day" because I didn't get to ride. I reassured him that he is about a bazillion times more important to me than some stupid ride...and I'll go with him someday if he's ready...or never, that's fine too. I'm very glad I got to hang out with him and wait for them to get off...turns out they both felt :sick: anyway, and they told him they wish they had skipped it too. DH felt nauseous for several hours after. Anyway, I just can't believe someone could make their child feel bad for not wanting to ride. :( How sad. By the way, he did try out RR at MGM and loved it...but HE wanted to try it. :)

LibertyTreeGal
08-02-2007, 07:34 PM
That is just plain MEAN!

My twin boys are a funny lot. Matt loves everything, Andy loves everything EXCEPT ITTBAB and Dinosaur, two of my favorite rides. HOWEVER, I'm the mommy and I will sit outside of it with him 200 times before I force him to go inside. Not going on a ride doesn't ruin anyone's vacation! I had a parent who forced me into things and it made me more frightened, not less.

MinnieMommie
08-02-2007, 08:02 PM
It is always hard watching people talk to kids in a way we wouldn't. This sounds as if it was very hard to witness. Poor kids - IMHO not the way to go. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
That is sad. :(

My boys are as different as night and day. The younger one loves all rides. The faster and scarier the better. The older one is a little more cautious. My DD is right in between.

We have never pressured them to do anything they did not want to. Ride, attraction, etc. We tell them what we think of the ride, what it does and what to expect. Then go from there. They know now what rides they want to ride and which they want to avoid and we go through the parks with that in mind.

Hey..It is their vacation too!! ;)

mainemajor
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
How sad that is. I wish parents would remember that that what is fun for them might not be fun for their child and as parents it is their responsibility to look out for their children's well being and happiness.
There is NEVER a reason to force anyone at any age to do something they do not want to do. Period.

CuteAsMinnie
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I think it is just terrible for anyone to force a child to ride something they are not ready for. Just another example of the selfish people in the world. Too bad these just happen to be the child's parents.:mad:

DisneyGRL7
08-02-2007, 10:27 PM
When I was young (about 7) by parents made me ride a roller coaster, insisting I would love it. I was scared to death and ended up crying the entire time. It turned me off of roller coasters, and unknown rides in general, until I was about 14. I'm really sorry to hear about that story.

Stu29573
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
There is absolutely nothing to gain from a situation like that. My DD is very cautious about rides (as I was at her age) and I've had to step in when "friends" have made fun of her for not riding something.

LauraleeH
08-02-2007, 11:40 PM

We have a DD (15) who tries any/everything, she always has. She's a thrill seeker rides wise (I was the same way). Contrarily, our DS (11) is quite nervous about rides (and many things). When we were at WDW in '04, he was 8, and my Mom waited with our younger 3 while DH and I got in line for Mission Space with the older 2. We didn't know what to expect, and DS had always had a vivid imagination...so I wasn't overly surprised when it was our time to "board" and he went in one side of the "shuttle" and ran right out the other side. :D He panicked and got scared, later telling me he thought he was really going to space and what if he "messed up his 'job' as pilot". Guess that movie at the beginning is a bit too real! Anyway, I of course went running after him. DH and DD rode. When I caught up with him, he was afraid he "ruined my day" because I didn't get to ride. I reassured him that he is about a bazillion times more important to me than some stupid ride...and I'll go with him someday if he's ready...or never, that's fine too. I'm very glad I got to hang out with him and wait for them to get off...turns out they both felt :sick: anyway, and they told him they wish they had skipped it too. DH felt nauseous for several hours after. Anyway, I just can't believe someone could make their child feel bad for not wanting to ride. :( How sad. By the way, he did try out RR at MGM and loved it...but HE wanted to try it. :)
That thing about your son being afraid that he ruined your day and what you said back to him was so sweet. I hope I am a good mother and have kids like that someday.
Not that parents that force their kids on are bad or anything, but they should come up with something else. Like getting a Disney DVD ahead of time and showing the kids what the rides look like. If they don't want to ride it, they'll know before they get to Disney, instead of standing in line fighting over it.

DonaldDuck1117
08-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Ha, if I have waited 90 minutes for a ride you better believe I am making my kid ride it :D

BRJARE3
08-03-2007, 08:07 AM
This really got to me. I have a daughter who will turn five in WDW in Dec. She is very tall for her age (48 inches) and I know she can ride a lot of rides that kids her age can not. We would never force her to ride anything. Quite honestly, I do not know if Everest or some others would be good for her, because she is so young. I am actually going to ride Everest first, to see if I think she can handle it. I could not imagine telling any of my children that they ruined our vacation. This vacation is about the kids, not the parents.

Momof2boys
08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I would never do this to my children but I do wish they wouldn't do it to me!!!!!!!!!!!

:ditto:

My boys beg, deal, and cajole me to ride E:E, RnRC, and Space Mountain with them (they are 9 & 7) which I do because I couldn't stand it to wait for them to ride. DH has back problems so these aren't an option for him.

LauraF
08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
How sad that is. I wish parents would remember that that what is fun for them might not be fun for their child and as parents it is their responsibility to look out for their children's well being and happiness.
There is NEVER a reason to force anyone at any age to do something they do not want to do. Period.
On behalf of all the kids who DID have to go through that kind of treatment . . . THANK YOU! Maybe if more parents paid attention to that advice . . .

I still remember being in tears outside Space Mountain which I did NOT want to ride. (I was more upset at being humiliated than scared after a few moments.) After making a huge scene, my mother forced me to ride it. It was incredibly humilating, especially when she had to rub it in on the way out - "See, it wasn't that bad. None of these kids here are upset. Why can't you be more like other children? Now stop crying like a baby. I want to enjoy my vacation. I deserve one more than you." :mad:

(Don't get me wrong - I love my parents. But their priorities aren't always in the right places.)

mook3y
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
That is just plain MEAN!

My twin boys are a funny lot. Matt loves everything, Andy loves everything EXCEPT ITTBAB and Dinosaur, two of my favorite rides. HOWEVER, I'm the mommy and I will sit outside of it with him 200 times before I force him to go inside. Not going on a ride doesn't ruin anyone's vacation! I had a parent who forced me into things and it made me more frightened, not less.

Boy, I had never ridden Dinosaur but had ridden Indiana Jones at DLR before and my DS who was 4 at the time liked Dinosaurs wanted to go on it. :blush: I think I was more terrified than he was. I was scared to death that it was too much for him.

The trooper he is, when he got off his only comments were " that was kind of scary, I don't think I want to go on it again."

However, just this last week, my DS 5 informed my DW that he will go on it again with her, so that she can see it - (last year she sat out with DD2).

:D

Goofster
08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
My daughter can be extremely timid and worried about riding something that she is unsure of, while my son will jump on anything without a care. With my daughter, we usually will make sure to explain what the ride is and that we're all riding it together (very important to her as she puts her safety concerns in mom and dad). At the same time, we know which rides she won't have a problem with and which rides are out of the question (Stitch's Great Escape or Dinosaur). She usually will be fine with that, but sometimes it takes some gentle coaxing and reissurance that she'll have a good time. My wife and I understand that certain rides are just not on par for a young pre-schooler and, when the time is right, she'll want to ride them with us.

Not to make excuses, but I could see that some of these parents may have been having a bad day with their child (or the whole vacation) and it could have been the stress of the day talking. I imagine waiting in line for 90-minutes in the Florida heat could make the worst in any parent come out.

yasmina
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Not to make excuses, but I could see that some of these parents may have been having a bad day with their child (or the whole vacation) and it could have been the stress of the day talking. I imagine waiting in line for 90-minutes in the Florida heat could make the worst in any parent come out.

I totally agree with your point about waiting 90 in the FL heat and humidity. I've been known to snap stupid comments at anyone w/in distance when I'm tired/hungry. However, in this situation, the park had just opened, there was supposed to have been only a 10 min. wait for EE, as we had gone there right away. At the time of this conversation, we'd been in line for about 10 min. - 5 min. of moving line & 5 minutes stalled (not knowing the ride was down yet).

I also agree with all the previous comments about preparing your kids ahead of time. We watch DW videos, tv shows, DVDs that show the rides and what to expect. When my dd7 changed her mind while in line for the HM, she had seen the ride on tv, and I had talked to her about the "ghosts" not being real, and so on. Still, she changed her mind, and that was ok.

Here's a funny twist. When I can't convince my dd's to try something (a ride, a new food, a new activity, etc.) my sister usually can. I can't tell you how many times the kids have done something with her, but refused for me and dh!

janebanks
08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Then they started threatening her. "We came to DW to have fun and we will NOT allow you to ruin it", " How can you do this to us?", and my (least) favorite "OK, we'll call gramma to come pick you up so you won't ruin our trip".

Manipulative statements like this are emotionally abusive, plain and simple. It doesn't matter whether it's at a theme park or not.

vamaggie
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I think this is absolutely terrible! Whether they were waiting 9 or 90 minutes should not make a difference. Parents are supposed to love, protect and watch out for their children against all the evil and dangerous and life squashing things that happen in the world--not be the cause of it. Our DS (10) is not really into the coasters and big rides which is just fine with us. The magic of the trip is not only how many rides you can ride (and how many times) but teh whole experience as a family. I really don't understand why they require you to have a license to drive a car and own a pet but anyone can have children!!!

thrillme
08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I've never THREATENED my DS but I did push him to going back and seeing a 3-D show that he thought was scarey. There was NO screaming, crying, fighting. It was just MY "say so", a grumpy look and a threat to tell grandma on me.

I really wanted him to know that it wasn't REAL. After he realized how 3-D worked (it turned out to be an interesting bit of information to a 6 year old as I told him about HOW it's made with the different cameras...maybe taking a little magic out but it fastinated him none-the-less). He LOVED the movie and we see it EVERYTIME we go. He scoffed at being scared the first time. Said he was just pretending.

I have seen some kids totally "freak" about getting on a ride. I count my blessings that my DS is not like that he and loves thrills as much as I do. Before we ever went to Disney or anyplace else we went and tried out several "local" parks and I knew what he was good with and not. I admit if he was the type to "freak out" over rides I would NEVER "threaten" him (I'm a parent not a mafia boss). I'd NEVER "belittle" him (I'm working too hard create in him a strong self respect). But if theme parks weren't his speed I probably wouldn't waste my money in going till he's better able to handle them.

I have gone with some kids to theme parks that won't ride any kind of coaster or similar. I don't like it, but I don't insult them, threaten them or "force" them. I'll stand off to the side and let the ones that want to go on go while I watch the one that doesn't then I'll have that one pick the next ride. Alas...I'd be LESS inclined to take them to a theme park again but I'll take them OTHER places instead. Other places where they are happier keeping their feet on the ground.

mook3y
08-03-2007, 04:12 PM
This really got to me. I have a daughter who will turn five in WDW in Dec. She is very tall for her age (48 inches) and I know she can ride a lot of rides that kids her age can not. We would never force her to ride anything. Quite honestly, I do not know if Everest or some others would be good for her, because she is so young. I am actually going to ride Everest first, to see if I think she can handle it. I could not imagine telling any of my children that they ruined our vacation. This vacation is about the kids, not the parents.

Our DS is tall for his age too.

What we did was have him watch a movie online of the ride so he could decide if he wanted to go on it.

He ended up going on it and liking it. He could do without the Yeti, but I just made sure to sit him in the left seat.

yasmina
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Manipulative statements like this are emotionally abusive, plain and simple. It doesn't matter whether it's at a theme park or not.

That is SO true! That's why I was so sick at heart hearing their comments. I just wanted to hug that little girl and take her with me.

julieunruly
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I show my kids, DS-9, DD-6 the rides on You Tube so they can get a feel for what to expect and whether or not they want to ride that particular ride. Once we get to the park, if they still don't want to ride the ride, then we move on. It's not worth ruining their self-esteem.

------------------------------------------------
Oct. 05-POFQ
Oct. 07-Pop

:mickey:

K8screen
08-09-2007, 03:30 AM
I just dont understand why any parent would WANT to make a child ride something they werent ready for. Theres usually a next time, and doing something they were too scared to do last trip makes a kid feel so good!
My youngest did everything she was tall enough for on her first trip, but only TEN YEARS LATER did she tell me she spent the whole trip terrified, and only did stuff so her brother and sister wouldnt laugh at her. She's a good little actress, but all the same I felt bad I hadnt realised this and given her an easy get-out.

BigRedDad
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
That is cruel. These people shouldn't even be parents. When you take kids to WDW, it is THEIR trip, not yours. If it is your trip, then leave the kids home. Threatening and scolding a child that is afraid is the wrong message.

I agree with almost everything you said, except bribery. It sometimes takes bribery to a small child to get them to try something new. I am learning this with my DD/19months. I can't force her to eat something she doesn't want. However, I can bribe her to try something by offering ice cream, cookie, or popsicle after. I hope that will work in when we take her to WDW. But never to the point she is afraid, crying, screaming not to do something.

cheshirekitty
08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
My DH,'s family still teases him about not riding BTM when he was little. They tried to get him to ride, kept him in the line until the last second and kept asking "you are not a coward are you" to which he kept replying "I'm a coward." He was not crying and carrying on just kept expressing that he was not going to ride that ride. I think they thought he would change his mind once he saw it up close. They did not make him ride but they do still get a really good laugh out of it. We told that story to our kids and told them it is okay to be afraid, even Daddy was afraid before (in their eyes he could never have been little). Ended up they had no fear and rode everything but the option to back out without guilt or shame was always there.

gueli
08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
This will be our1st trip to WDW with DD who is 5. A big part of this trip is going to be watching her have fun. In some ways I am slightly worried that she will want to go on rides that are beyond her height (and will be saddened) that she cannot go on w/me. I would never force her onto a ride. I also do not want her to be soo exhausted at the end of the day (we plan on taking a break during the hottest parts of the day) that she will start to breakdown at a moments notice.
I will encourage her to go on many rides. But if she balks, there is always the parent swap option.
mike:mickey:

Disneypixie513
08-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Whether they were waiting 9 or 90 minutes should not make a difference. Parents are supposed to love, protect and watch out for their children against all the evil and dangerous and life squashing things that happen in the world--not be the cause of it. I totally agree with you. I can't imagine parents saying stuff like that to their kids. It makes me sad (i was almost in tears from reading what the parents said to the little girl) My parents have pushed me to go on a ride ( not at disney but Busch Gardens) But they were not threatening or anything of that sort. But i ended up loving both the rides they wanted me to go on. I don't think it's wrong for parents todo that.but when it comes to this extent. It's uncalled for:(

bleukarma
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM

What a wonderful mom!!! Just reading that got me a little choked up! The fact that your son was so thoughtful means your doing something right! I bet that was good mother/son time, too!

I don't have kids but when I do I would never force them into doing something they don't want to do, whether it's a ride or anything else. While I know a lot of parents want their kids have different experiences and not be afraid of everything, I know that in time they will have different experiences on their own when they are ready. I grew up going to WDW and I didn't go on Space Mountain until I was ready around age 14. When I was about 10 I went to WDW with my Girl Scout troup and I had to go through tons of teasing from the other girls that went on it, but I stood my ground. Teasing from other kids (whether a sibling or "friend") is normal, pressured into doing something by your parents is not.

I'm happy to hear that some cast members aren't letting screaming kids on. On a hot day when I'm hungry and tired I might be inclined to say something to these parents because sitting next to a screaming kid on a ride is not MY idea of a fun vacation! These parents are worried about their child ruining their vacation, what about the people around them? Obviously they don't care and my mouth has been known to get me in trouble some times!

Marilyn Michetti
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
When we reach the other side of parenting, (they're grown), everything we did wrong is a lot clearer.:-o:number1:

Our first trip in'84, our DD begged us not to make her ride the skycaps, but we were the next to load, and in those days, they didn't have "chicken exits". We nudged her on, she cried the whole time, and we felt awful. There was no yelling, or threatening, but we realized after that, that nobody has the right to force a helpless child to do anything that they're terrified to do.:(

Broccoli at dinner was a different matter. TRY ONE BITE - YES, YOU HAVE TO !

poeticeclipse
08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Being a huge pansy as a child, I may be able to shed some new light on the situation.

My first "sick it up" situation at WDW was when I was in the 7th grade. I went to WDW for the 2nd time ever with my mom and my older brother. I had never been on The Haunted Mansion and was told that it "wasn't that bad." We entered the line and I was already apprehensive. Once we got into the stretching room, the greeter cast member had this furry creature which, to this day, I swear was real. It looked like a ferret or something. It was crawling on her shoulders and she was holding it up to guests freaking them out. I was sooo scared by this point and had my head burried in my brother's stomach. The cast member then came up to me and put the animal thing on my shoulder for a second. I screamed and began sobbing. I then begged my mom to get out. I couldn't stand it. My brother kept telling me that there was only a little walk to go before the ride. Once the doors opened my mom asked the cast member where the emergency exit was. We went out one and ended up in a backstage area. My brother was HOT. We waited probably a half hour only to leave the attraction before we actually got to it. He said "well, lets just go back to the room, this is a wasted day."

Today, i'm great with Haunted Mansion. I went on it 3 years after the incident and loved it. I've learned how to handle taking my nieces on attractions at the World as well. My oldest is pretty brave and wants to do anything and my youngest niece tries some stuff but is pretty timid. I took them both on Mission:Space which I had never been on before, they loved it... I hated it. We also all went on Dinosaur together for the first time. My oldest niece loved it and my youngest was scared out of her mind (just like her Aunt Stacey). I go on Dinosaur with my family because everyone else likes it but I just keep my eyes closed so then I don't have to wait outside the attraction. Same goes for HISTA. I'm terrified of it. I went on it with my nieces for their first time. The eldest loved it. And my youngest niece was intimidated by the fact that I didn't take the glasses in. So, she sat there looking at me and then looking at the screen putting her glasses on and off of her face. I feel like I somewhat ruined her first experience for her. She asked me why I didn't have glasses on and I told her that I just get scared when things pop out at me (okay, really.... it's just a huge lion head that doesn't go over well with me). I can do other 3-D attractions... just not HISTA.

My advice to parents with young timid children... tell them that if they ever feel scared they can always close their eyes. Let them know that nothing can get them and that there are lots of other kids who ride the same attraction everday. Whatever you do, don't yell at them for not doing something. They'll never want to ride on it again.

grwoolf
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
First, I'll say that I agree that the approach these parents took was terrible. Kids that don't want to ride should never be forced. However, I do believe in pushing kids a bit to get on rides. Of course a young child is going to be apprehensive about these rides the first time they see them. The first year we went to WDW, my boys were 4 and 5. They were scared of PoC, Splash, Space, ToT, BTMRR, HM, and some others. We knew they would love Splash and PoC, not so sure on the others. Anyways, we ended up bribing them (a few extra $'s for their weekly allowance) to get on Splash and Pirates the first time and of course they loved them and we rode them all week. I'm not saying this is the right thing for all kids, but some kind of motivation is OK in my book to give the kids on the fence an extra push. For my kids, it was money they could use to buy a cool souvenier (they must use their own money to pay for anything they want besides food). After Splash and Pirates, they were asking us if they could ride ToT, HM, BTMRR, etc. and get the same deal. My 4 yr old wasn't tall enough for some rides, but my 5 yr rode everything that year. He wasn't too crazy about ToT and only rode that once, but everything else was great. The following year and since then, they love all the rides. They are now 10 and 11, very adventurous, and always trying to get me and their freinds onto everything at our local Six Flags.

briguy
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I agree that the way the parents went about it was stupid, but chances are they do plenty of stupid things with their kids in other areas, so pray for the kids...

However...I think there are times to give that gentle push to a kid who may need it, as long as threats and humiliation are not involved!

My nephew (9yo) is very timid about everything. Once he tries something he usually loves it or at least realizes it was not as bad as he feared. This is true for new foods, meeting new friends, new experiences...everything.

When we went with him to Disney I told him he'd love Soarin. He told me he did not want to go. I told him that he'd love it, and he should just try it. He reiterated that he did not want to go. I then explained that I knew all the rides since I've been there 100+ times, and I knew him pretty well. I explained that I knew he'd hate Mission Space, so that was out. But I knew he'd really love Soarin. He started to come around a little.

I then told him how about this...we'll make a deal. If he rode with me and did not like it, I'd put on his mouse ears and skip through the parks the rest of the day. If he did like it, he'd trust me again for another ride on something else. Well the thought of this 40+ man skipping with mouse ears on got him laughing so much, he was willing to take the chance.

Needless to say I had 100% confidence in the outcome, knowing both him and the ride, and when it was over he looked up and said, "okay, I have to apologize, you were right. That was awesome!" (he talks like he's much older)

Soarin was his favorite ride on the trip, and we went on a couple other things...he even asked me to try Mission Space with him (less intense version) which he also loved. Each ride he'd approach that was questionable he'd ask me to explain what was involved and if I thought he'd like it. I knew RnR would be too much for him, and told him so, so he knew when I told him he could do something else I wasn't just saying it.

Key point was I earned his trust and did not humiliate or threaten.

disneynarula
08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
So sad. Even if the parents knew that she would love it it seems like there would be a better way to get her to ride than humilitating and threatening her.

jax86
08-10-2007, 04:38 PM
last fall we went to EE with my nephew, age 8. he was terrified, so the cast member actually took him to the front of the ride and rode it with him!! he had a blast. sometimes it works, but if not, we would never have forced him. My daughter, on the other hand refused to ride it (it was the only ride she wouldn't go on) so i just sat and waited with her while the others went. it was a good excuse for me not to go on because i'm a big scardy cat!!:blush:

baldburke
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Once I heard a man telling his DD who was afraid to ride Spaceship Earth that she had to ride it. Then he took the keys to there room and said she couldn't go back yo the hotel until she rode the ride!

Belle619
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
That is so sad. If parents are this mean to their children at the happiest place on earth - I hate to think about how they treat them in everyday life.

MMouse6937
08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I guess I'm probably in the minority for this, but if my Dad hadn't made me do some things when I was a kid I would be living in a bubble right now. He never humiliated me or made me feel like I was preventing anyone else from having a good time but he used to push me to do some things I thought were going to be really scary. My mother was VERY protective and would have put me in her purse and carried me for the rest of my life if Dad hadn't said, "let's go, let's do it, be brave, you can do anything". I think because of that I am an adventuous person who tries to push the limits. I'm now married to an adrenaline junkie and he has even pushed me farther to try the unknown. Last year at DL he got me on TOT. I was terrified (the point, right? ;) ) but I did it and survived and the rush that this gave me was out of this world! My dad taught me that, sometimes you have to be scared and try something to find out that it's something that you love. Ok, my two cents! :D

#1donaldfan
08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
We've never made our kids feel bad, or put too much guilt on them, however we do push them some, to better themselves...for lack of better words. Our kids are pretty adventerous on their own, but when it comes to some of the rides and what leads up to them, they sometimes get a little "squimish"....we just keep them focused on having fun and the rides are there for fun....more often than not, they get on and have a great time.

mickeynuts
08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
It makes me sick to see people acting like that, but I can understand really wanting a kid to ride because I know they will love it if they can just get past being nervous. Our solution has always been this: if it's a ride we know they will like but they are scared to ride, we make them wait in line with us. They know that if we get to the ride and they are still scared that we would never make them get on, but they do have to endure us trying to talk them into it while we wait in line hehe. We never use threats or humiliation, we just really talk up the ride and go on and on about how fun it is, how much fun they had on the last ride, how brave they are etc etc. Probably 80% of the time they have decided to ride by the time we get there, but if they haven't, we wait with them with no criticism. I'd much rather miss a ride than make my child cry.
:cool: Laura