PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped passes in Disney World?

foreverpooh19
08-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi. Has anyone ever used a handicapped pass, issued by WDW? We will be leaving next week and my son has Asperger's and is Bipolar. His physician has issued a letter and said that we could give it to Guest Relations and get a pass. I have confirmed this with WDW. My concern is that my son looks perfectly "normal" however when a meltdown occurs it can take 2 hours for him to recover. He cannot wait for long periods of time and becomes very frustrated. We thought that getting the pass would be good for him as well as the other people in line. We are just worried about reactions from others at the park. We have taken our son 5 other times and it has always been a mess. Any thoughts?

jenny1976
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi,
As a disabled person (who is going on her 17th trip to WDW this Sept.), I understand your concern, but must reassure you that Disney deals with our neeeds in the best way possible. What other people might or might not think should not worry you. The law clearly states that you can have a disability even if it's not visible. Take this experience as a way to educate people about your son's condition and bring awareness to people who may be a little ignorant in that respect. This will also provide you with a wonderful opportunity to show your son that he has rights that he should not be afraid to exercise. The pass will allow you to use alternate entrances or fast pass lines whenever possible, so it's not very noticeable when you use it. Just have a wonderful time and don't sweat it!!!

Seasonscraps
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't worry about other people's reactions. You are taking your son on a family vacation and taking steps to insure that your family enjoys it without causing him distress. At the same time you are trying to be considerate of how his melt down may affect other people.

Here we go again...
08-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I have Rheumatoid arthritis and Fibromyalgia. Those are 2 things that no one can see... I am 44 years old and look fine most days. I have had to use the pass on bad days...
When the regular lines are short I wait. When I am having a good day, I wait even though the lines are long.

These passes do not get you to the front of the line, they only let you enter through an alternate entrance where available. Many of the newer rides had made it so that handicap people can access the regular line so you will need to take advantage of the fast pass option for those rides. When you get your pass they will give you books for each of the parks that tell you which rides you will need to use the fast pass option.

Disney is wonderful about not drawing attention to anyone using the card. It is hard enough not being able to do the things I want to do, it makes it harder when people judge you.

Make sure to bring your doctors note. I had one CM that went to the back because he said they had to call to validate the letter. I guess I looked fine that day.

foreverpooh19
08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the support and infomration. Like I said this is new to us and we were a little unsure about using this because of the reactions of others. However, we wanted this to be a nice trip for our son. Also our DD has been through a lot with her brother and we wanted to try to make it as nice as possible. You have all been very helpful. Thank you and God Bless!!!!!!!:mickey:

Hayden's Dad
08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
My 18 moth old son is disabled, and when we went to WDW in May we got one of those cards and it made everything so much easier. Most of the rides you just flash the card to the CM at the front of the line and they show you through to a side entrance around the queue. It worked wonderfully, and my son's wheelchair looks alot like any other stroller and they never once questioned us and we didn't have a letter from a doctor. We only had to explain to a couple of the bus drivers that his chair did not fold up and needed to go up the wheelchair ramp. Overall it was a wonderful experience.

tiaramom
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi There
My mom is taking my Gram( in a wheel chair with altzimers disease) . Where does she get these passes?
Can you get it at the Disney Resorts at check in???

Imakejessicarabbitjelous
08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
My brother has cerebal palsy and learing differculties which leads to him shouting and screaming alot and he cant wait in long lines he also gets restless in his wheel chair we have went to WDW a few time and have had a disabled pass we dont take it for granted but it helps alot when he is having bad days:)

Daisy'sMom
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
My nephew is an 8 year old autisic child. He loves IASM ! They used this pass on their last trip to WDW and it helped ALOT. His mom spent alot of the time at the cabin in FW (they think this is the best place in case of a meltdown) while Dad and brother did the parks. It turned out to be a goreat trip for all, especially J who got to ride IASM several times. Good luck!:mickey:

Jenemmy
08-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi there. I have a 9 year old with autism who is a gorgeous little guy with a normal appearance. We have used this pass on several trips and it is a lifesaver. I am well acquainted with the meltdowns you speak of, and I can tell you that the guest assistance pass is really the ONLY thing that allows our family to enjoy the parks. Without it....well, I probably wouldn't attempt it.

I have never been asked to show a Dr note, although I think it is a good idea to take one, just in case. It has always been discreet to use and I have never noticed any glares or bad comments from other guests. Of course, I wasn't really watching for them, either....just enjoying my son enjoying himself.

Let me know if you have any other questions :mickey:

jusandnew
08-02-2007, 01:01 PM
We have annual ticket passes. both of my son's have a disability. they look typical. I took a copy of their dx to guest relations and we have a pass for 3 months. It has helped so much. I have not had anyone say anything to us.They can not handle waiting in long lines and with the pass it helps.
I wish universal would have this.
Do not think about what others think , just think about you child and how it will help you and your child.
I felt guily at first then I seen how much it helped.

Mickie the Pooh
08-02-2007, 05:52 PM
What you are talking about is a Gac guest accomodation card. and you will not have to show a Dr. letter in fact they will not look at one as it is against the law for them to ask or see one. You go to Guest services and just tell them what accomodations you require, for instance needs to wait in a quiet area or needs to be out of the sun etc.
For the person asking about their grandmother in the wheelchair, unless she has other specific needs that need to be addressed such as mentioned above then you will not need a GAC the wheelchair itself will inform the Cast members that she needs assistance etc.

pugslave
08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi! I have a 7yo daughter with Asperger's, and we have been taking her to WDW since she was 3.5 mo old! We haven't used the guest assistance card because she is able to wait in lines because there is so much to see there. She is not prone to tantruming, so we are very lucky in that respect. The only time she gets a little iffy is if she is hot, so we always have a fan/mister thing with us if it's going to be warm. As she is an only child, we pretty much let her choose what she wants to do. Disney is FANTASTIC for special needs people. Have a wonderful time.

bethnowllin
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
For the person asking about their grandmother in the wheelchair, unless she has other specific needs that need to be addressed such as mentioned above then you will not need a GAC the wheelchair itself will inform the Cast members that she needs assistance etc.

Please keep in mind that CMs are trained to check for GAC cards, and just having a wheelchair will not guarantee an alternate entrance. To minimize any troubles, I would highly recommend stopping by city hall on your way into the park and grabbing that lovely red card. :thumbsup:

Matt's Dad
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I have a son (now 6) who is autistic, and he's a vetran of 6 trips to Disney. We only had to use the card one time, but it was great to have it that day.

We got our at the Guest Services at the MK, building on the Left as you enter the park. Started to explain to the CM why we needed it .... and she stopped me in mid sentence and just filled out the card for us. She offered to make it good for our entire stay ... but it was our last day, so it was a one day pass.

We only used it a couple of times ... but it made a world of difference for my son on those few rides.

There are a lot of great post on the subject if you search .... but I hope you and your family have a great time.

Disney handles kids with special needs better than any other place I have ever been ... thier chefs are incredible.

Twinkletoes77705
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I have recently posted threads about this very thing. My son is autistic and I was concerned about meltdown too. However we both seem to be going during a good time & I plan on using fastpass for everything. One thing I read somewhere is to get earplugs or headphones for the loud noises. they also said to bring along something they can hold from home to give them that assurance if needed. One person said with headphones and a gameboy thay had NO problems. I was nervous at first....due to the waiting factor...however I know it will be just fine. hope you have a wonderful trip.

ArtDeco
08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
We are just worried about reactions from others at the park. Any thoughts?

Don't worry about other guest's reactions because Disney is EXCELLENT and DISCREET with front-of-line situations. Few if any guests will notice you.

Many rides have discreet separate queue entrances (Haunted Mansion, for example) and some have Fastpass entrances that can be used to handle front-of-line guests. They'll accompany you backwards through the exit queue at It's A Small World or through a little-noticed gate at the Tomorrowland Speedway.

They do it all day for VIPs, tour guests, and disabled guests. My daughter and I once got front of line privs for the afternoon because she was heartbroken about a pair of broken Minnie ears and the kindest CM ever saw her crying (she was only 3... poor thing).

Don't worry 'bout that! Nobody will even notice.

merlinmagic4
08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I really don't think many people will notice. I mean, you'll always have a few who are more concerned with your family than their own but they are really rare. Have a great trip :mickey: