PDA

View Full Version : Very busy Bridge in Minneapolis MN collaspes.

caryrae
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
A very busy bridge just collaped over the Mississippi river at around 6:00 pm central time during rush hour. It was Highway 35W. Cars fell in the water, there was a school bus with young kids on it (all were ok only 1 kid injured). 2 deaths so far. Very sad.:( This has never happened in Minnesota that anyone knows off. I am sure it will be on national news at some point.

caryrae
08-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Story from Kare 11 news

The Interstate 35W bridge that MnDot has been working on all summer has collapsed.

The entire span of the 35W bridge collapsed about 6:05 p.m. where the freeway crosses the river near University Avenue. Traffic in both directions was affected.

Much of the bridge is in the Mississippi River.

Cars are crushed under the debris and some who survived the fall are swimming in the water.

At least one vehicle, believed to be a semi truck, is on fire.

Pieces of the bridge are on the parkway, which was filled with bikers and pedestrians.

Bumper to bumper traffic and road construction were slowing things down and all of the sudden the bridge collapsed said a man who was in that traffic around 6:45.

That motorist told Joe Fryer that there was shaking from jack hammer and then the bridge just dropped.

He said a school bus was on the bridge, but it appeared all the kids on the bus were carried off. They were injured but he thought most of the kids on the bus got off.

Medical personal from around the city is arriving on the scene, but there so many people injured

PirateLover
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
OMG this is one of my worst fears! I always think what the heck would I do if the bridge collapsed or got blown up as I drive over one of our two main bridges across the Delaware River almost every day. I hope that not too many are injured. How scary :pixie:

caryrae
08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Just heard 50 or so cars fell into the river and 25 to 30 workers were on it to.

(WCCO) Minneapolis The Interstate 35W Mississippi River bridge near University Avenue has collapsed into the river.

Both the northbound and southbound lanes of 35W are lying in the Mississippi River.

There are multiple cars in the river and a couple cars on fire. According to one witness, there was a school bus full of children on the bridge.

Cars are still on the bridge.

Tons of concrete have collapsed and people are injured. Survivors are being carried up the riverbank.

Some people are stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

A tractor-trailer is on fire at the collapse scene.

Some cars are still precariously perched on the bridge. Sections of the bridge are mangled, some are pointing up in the air and some are in the river.

"My truck got completely torn in half," said a witness who was on the bridge when it collapsed. "The bridge started shaking and it went down fast."

"It is just horrific," said witness Marilyn Franzen, who saw the bridge collapse. Franzen said she saw a school bus that managed to stop before the going over the edge of the bridge that she said was carrying 20-30 children between the ages of 8 and 12 years old.

According to witnesses, cars are crushed and mangled under the bridge where it collapsed onto the shore of the river. Street signs also crushed cars.

The road has been under construction since the beginning of the summer.

Stay tuned to WCCO.com and WCCO-TV for more information on this breaking news story.

SBETigg
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
This is horrifying! I've been watching on the news, and my heart just goes out to everyone on that bridge and their loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

caryrae
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Puts things into perspective when you see something like this and here we are worring about someone cutting in line at a Disney ride on a different thread. Makes the cutting not such a big deal.

MauiMouse
08-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow, I'm watching it on t.v. right now. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

kaerbear178
08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
My brother crosses that bridge everyday. Luckily he wasn't on it when it collapsed. :pixie: to everyone that was involved today. I worry about things like that in Cali with earthquakes but I never thought about it when I lived back there.

TINKERBELL_82
08-01-2007, 10:49 PM
This is just awful. :(

My thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.

disneyboy98
08-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Many prayers to all of the victims and families involved in this horrible collapse!

Prayers also for the emergency technicians and local authorities taking care of the scene during this tragic situation.

conorsmom2000
08-01-2007, 11:08 PM
They broke in to regular tv here in NJ tonight with a special report. It is just so awful - my heart goes out to all involved. All will be in my thoughts and prayers. :( The pictures are just frightening.

mttafire
08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Puts things into perspective when you see something like this and here we are worring about someone cutting in line at a Disney ride on a different thread. Makes the cutting not such a big deal.
You have just spoken the truth my friend...:thumbsup: 110% correct.

WonderlandsMostWanted
08-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh this is so surreal. I've had the news on for the last 5 straight hours. they've set up free wifi internet access in Minneapolis and the surrounding area for people to use to contact loved ones, since there's so much cell phone activity that lines are tied up all over. They're asking that people avoid using cell phones as much as possible just so people can reach emergency numbers if they need them. This is such a major traffic area, and such a popularly used bridge, that everyone knows SOMEBODY who uses it on a daily basis. Friends and family members are e-mailing and posting updates on message boards on the status of EVERYONE they've had contact with since this happened to let them know who's alright.

It's only a few miles from the school I work at and I'm so worried about our students who would have been leaving about that time. I can't even count the number of times I've driven that same stretch of road at the same time of day.

It hits so close to home, it's strange to know this is the #1 breaking news story on the internet right now, or that people in other areas are watching it too. All I can do right now, is cry and pray.

vizsla
08-02-2007, 05:49 AM
That is just a tragedy. I am familiar with that bridge on 35W. I have been over it several times when I went on some business and recreation trips up to White Bear Lake.

TooGoofy
08-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Many prayers to all of the victims and families involved in this horrible collapse!

Prayers also for the emergency technicians and local authorities taking care of the scene during this tragic situation.

Amen to that!

Donalds Duckie
08-02-2007, 07:05 AM
This is extremely sad. I have been watching it on national news. I am relieved to see that those of you who live in the area are okay. I have definitely been praying for those involved in the collapse and their families as well as all for of you that live in the Twin Cities and first responders.

Jeri Lynn
08-02-2007, 07:14 AM
My prayers and thoughts go out to all of those families this tragedy has affected.:(

Caroleh
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I had been watching this story also from up here in Canada. It really hits home for me since I'm orginally from Iowa and went to several Twins games.

My prayers goes out to the families and the workers having to deal with this tragedy.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 08:12 AM
All thoughts prayers and :tink: go out to the families of those affected! It is a tragic occurance!My DW and I are with you all in spirit in your time of need! :goofy:

ImagiAsh
08-02-2007, 09:24 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people who were affected by this tragedy. This is absolutely terrible news.

Melanie
08-02-2007, 09:44 AM
This is scary, plain and simple. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved!

jennbunn
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
they have lowered the death toll to 4 from 7 last night but they expect that # to rise today. my sister works and lives in mpls. my family was on a walk last night to go to dinner when we got a text about this. it took a half hour for me to contact my sister and it was the most scary 30 min of my life. when we walked into applebees every tv was on local news. i could not believe that that was real and not a movie set. my thoughts and prayers are with the familys that have lost loved one's to this tragic event.

Dopey's Girl
08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
It's really scary...my SIL was on the bridge about an hour before it collapsed...needless to say she was pretty upset when she heard. It's so sad...lots of questions with very few answers.

A special thanks to Wonderful Wendy of MJ, who sent emails to check up on us today! She's so much more than a travel agent!

snifflesmcg
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
What a horrible tragedy. What is scary is, it could happen anywhere to anyone.

Nascfan
08-02-2007, 01:29 PM
My prayers go out to those poor people, and condolences to those who lost loved ones.

jillluvsdisney
08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I sat on the couch watching ABC News tonight and just sobbed when then replayed the voice mail one of the kids on the school bus left her mother. It was beyond horrifying.

merlinmagic4
08-02-2007, 08:34 PM

It absolutely puts it in perspective!!

I did not know about this until today. My son needs a test run that is only done at a hospital there and the doctor was telling me she didn't want to call there today because of all they are going through. This is one of the saddest stories I have heard.