PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to carry/hold a 5month old on rides?

Cozfamilyof6
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Just wondering for our trip in October....I'll have a 6 yr old, twin 3 yr olds and a 5 month old - how can I take my 5 month old on the rides? My 'big 3' are going to want to do as much as they can and I'd like to go with them rather than swtiching off with DH or not going at all.

Is is possible to carry her in a front facing Baby Bjorn on such rides at Buzz Lightyear, Tommorowland Speedway, Pirates, Kilimanjaro Safari etc....

Obviously I wouldn't take her on Big Thunder or Space Mountain...

Many trips 1972-1994
BWV -Finally back with my DH and 3 children in 2006
BWV -Forgot how much I loved it, so returning this October with DH and now our 4 children.

PeterPanFan
08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
you should be able to hold her on all the rides you listed except the speedway. Even if they do I would advise against this. There was a accident at another park where a baby was on a moms lap in a simular type car and she was not paying attn and rammed the car ahead of her the baby was killed. Remember there are others front and back who you cant control.

have fun and be safe

kakn7294
08-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Most of the rides without height restrictions should be safe for you to take baby on in a baby carrier. Children under 12 mo are not to ride the Speedway so that's not an option for you. For any ride that baby cannot go on, you can child swap and your other children will get double the rides without waiting in a long line again so you can still experience the attraction with your children, just not with DH.

Cozfamilyof6
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=PeterPanFan;1374641]There was a accident at another park where a baby was on a moms lap in a simular type car and she was not paying attn and rammed the car ahead of her the baby was killed. Remember there are others front and back who you cant control.

I didn't know about the accident, sad news...thanks for informing me of the danger. I never even thought TS would not be safe, but you are right about not being able to control others. I'll keep it in mind for other rides/activities that we plan to do.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-01-2007, 11:02 PM
We used a Baby Bjorn with our son when he was 5 months old in WDW. It was great for getting on and off the rides. We faced him out most times, in if he was sleeping. The only time it was an issue was if the ride had a bar that came down close to my body. Most were okay. If it was too tight I would just slip him out and sit him next to me with my arm around him. The Baby Bjorn is great for keeping hands free with the other kids. :)

Have a great trip!!

Lizzie
08-02-2007, 12:34 PM
We used the baby bjorn for our 7 month old twins at the time. And it worked great.

magicofdisney
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
If your twins aren't tall enough to ride a ride (and they won't be for the TS-unless an adult sits in the car also), then don't plan on taking your baby on it either. That makes things much easier to plan. Have a great trip. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
We took out 7 mo DGD and we just sat her on our lap for most rides. Sometimes she was asleep so she just laid on our shoulder and then sometimes even on the seat beside us laid out napping.

WDWPRIME
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Leave them out of the park... too young.

pixiesmimi
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
They are definately not too young for the park at 5 months. We took our DGD when she was about 6 months and she loved some of the rides like IASW. We used a sling (Bjorn is good too). Saved us a lot of backaches. When she slept in line, we laid her down in the sling and still had our hands free. I even held her asleep in this on the safari ride in AK, worrying that it might be too rough for her but she never woke up. She slept in the stoller a lot too but when she was awake, she seemed to enjoy everything around her. Just go prepared for a lot of breaks and sitting out some rides and baby exchanges on rides. We held her on our laps for a lot of rides, even ones that had a bar on them. Some I sat her in the seat beside me and held on to her well.

LibertyTreeGal
08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Duct tape.... just kidding ;)

Actually, I would also recommend a baby bjorn, the sling just isn't as practical for an all day thing. Just be cognizant of the fact that a baby can get overheated from being against your body for hours and hours upon end -- be sure to schedule some blanket time on the grass :thumbsup:

Honestly, as the mother of twin boys, I'd be more concerned with what you're gonna do with TWO THREE YEAR OLDS! :D I hope they are girls and not boys, for your sake.... ;)

pixiesmimi
08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
We didn't use the sling all day, we used the stroller part of the time but used the sling in the lines and on rides. We had no problem using it and my DD who has a Baby Bjorn said the sling was actually more comfortable, especially when the baby was asleep. But, yes, you don't want to carry him on you all day. Vary it.

Whoo, hoo! My 100th post!

Flower
08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
We took DS at 3 months and I wish we had a sling. The Snugli was too big for him and he did not find it comfortable, I found it a strain on my neck. We ended up holding him on most things.

Either way, you should be fine!

We also had brought our own stroller with travel system and if Ben was asleep we would take the car carrier to some attractions: shows,etc.

fairies*n*fireflies
08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I am in agreement with Pixiesmimi... (but then I am her DD:secret:) I purchased a sling called Hotsling froma website called hotsling dot com and it was WONDERFUL! I couldn't use the Bjorn's, because they hurt my back to bad. This sling was soooo comfortable, because there are various positions to carry the baby in depending on the age (all the way up to I believe 35 lbs.) With DD being 6 months old, she was carried on the hip position most of the time. Now I do have to note that really the only time I carried her was when we stood in lines for the rides and while riding. It definately took the strain off my back while standing in line and freed up my hands. If she fell asleep I just moved her in the laying down position which is like a papoose in the front and she never moved. Plus to me it made me feel a little more safe having her on the ride when she was snuggled in the sling, kind of like a seatbelt.