PDA

View Full Version : Pal Mickey

BigG007
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what ‘Pal Mickey’ is, does it work in all the parks and is it worth buying

:mickey:

only 4 days to go

TinkerbellFan16
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
pal mickey is a doll that you buy and what it does is you carry it around and when you pass certain points in the parks, it triggers the pal mickey to say something about where you just passed. i have never gotten it so i dont know if its a good buy or not. hope this helps!

mickey&missy
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
He talks to you and tells you different things at different points. He'll tell you if a certain ride has a short wait, if the parade is about to start, etc.

Is he worth the $$ ? Well, he is expensive. Over $60 US I believe but can't remember exactly. Little ones seem to enjoy him. But, after a few days you get kind of sick if carrying him around! Once home he plays games and sings songs.

LibertyTreeGal
08-01-2007, 04:28 PM
He gets old REALLY QUICK.... and since the kids get tired of carting him around, guess who ends up with him?

I, at least, bought mine on ebay for half the price. I wouldn't pay park prices for him.

DNS
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
We bought one the first year they came out with him. We got a kick out of him that vacation and take him with us every time we go, but usually leave him off now. If I had it to do over, I'd buy him again because I think it's pretty unique. Now you can even buy different outfits for him.

iheartmickey
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
We really like ours. I can't wait to use him in Oct.

DD rarely carries him, but I really don't mind. I like the reminders of show times and wait times at rides. :thumbsup:

emmingo
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Its definitely useful, since it spits out great information about stuff in the parks, but its WAY expensive...eBay is a great idea! :D

snifflesmcg
08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Does anybody know where you can buy one cheaper but not from Ebay? I'd only be using him once. I have no use for him at home.

KAJUNKING
08-01-2007, 04:52 PM
we bought ours from disney merchandise before our trip last sept and really enjoyed him and cant wait to use him again this trip, he is a lot of fun

PeterPanFan
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
We have 2 and love em both. just when you think you know it all Pal Mickey tells you something new

DNS
08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Does anybody know where you can buy one cheaper but not from Ebay? I'd only be using him once. I have no use for him at home.

You used to be able to rent them at WDW.

Clotho
08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
You used to be able to rent them at WDW.

Renting ceased in 2006.

We love our Pal. We thought he was well worth the money, and we are two 30-somethings.

There are tons of threads on here about him if you want to read more. But I tried to search for them and the search kept timing out. Is it broken today? ANyway, keep looking him up, and Google about him, too.

We will be getting a new one on our trip coming up (28 days!). The older ones will work, but will not have all the latest information. That is why older models sell so cheaply. It is still probably going to be fabulous, if you need to save a few bucks, but he won't have info on stuff like EE or Soarin or anything else that came out since that Pal Mickey was released.

The most current version, available as of 2006 and is the 3.0 version, is Sorcerer Mickey. The previous version--which would be the most accurate of the older versions, would be 50th Celebration Mickey in his tuxedo.

But be aware that outfits can be purchased. Make sure if you buy on Ebay that someone didn't just dress up a 2.0 in a 3.0 outfit to sell him at a higher price. Verify the version!

More reading for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal_Mickey
http://www.palmickey.net/
http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/pal.htm

snifflesmcg
08-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Renting ceased in 2006.

We love our Pal. We thought he was well worth the money, and we are two 30-somethings.

There are tons of threads on here about him if you want to read more. But I tried to search for them and the search kept timing out. Is it broken today? ANyway, keep looking him up, and Google about him, too.

We will be getting a new one on our trip coming up (28 days!). The older ones will work, but will not have all the latest information. That is why older models sell so cheaply. It is still probably going to be fabulous, if you need to save a few bucks, but he won't have info on stuff like EE or Soarin or anything else that came out since that Pal Mickey was released.

The most current version, available as of 2006 and is the 3.0 version, is Sorcerer Mickey. The previous version--which would be the most accurate of the older versions, would be 50th Celebration Mickey in his tuxedo.

But be aware that outfits can be purchased. Make sure if you buy on Ebay that someone didn't just dress up a 2.0 in a 3.0 outfit to sell him at a higher price. Verify the version!

More reading for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal_Mickey
http://www.palmickey.net/
http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/pal.htm

Wow, thanks for the info!! I never even thought to ask that question.

Fantasmic
08-02-2007, 06:55 AM
I'll probably get a Pal Mickey for my trip in 2008 as it will have bben a few since since my last trip.

BigG007
08-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Do they work at any of the Disney Resorts?

EmcDuckRN
08-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if they work at Disneyland, but Disney world is a definite yes.

All over the four parks he gets excited and lets you know a parade is going to start, etc. Plus he has some simple games that the younger kids can play while standing in line.

We are happy with ours and have even bought the little pin trader outfit for him. he came wearing a tux for the 50th.

Clotho
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
There is no Pal Mickey at Disneyland, unfortunately (I WISH!!), nor are there are any "hot spots" at the resorts (I ALSO WISH!)

I hope he continues to grow and develop into an even more robust sidekick. Though I know some people have reported on tests of new Mickey PDA-type device that allows you to go on in-park adventures, engage in trivia and scavenger hunts, etc. I think that may in fact be the future of this technology. BUt I prefer the plushy Mickey for now!

koyote19
08-02-2007, 09:32 PM
We got our Pal Mickey in Feb 2006. Not sure which version this is?

Will it still work and be useful when we got back in January?

CandleontheWater
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I LOVE my pal mickey, and I'm in my late 20's! :secret: I frequently travel the parks alone, since DH is frequently deployed, and having Pal Mickey is like having a traveling partner. He tells you some of the most amazing stuff, neat details about the countries in World Showcase and all sorts of information about the animals at AK. He is full of triva and plays cute games that are perfect for waits in long lines. I especially love it when he sings songs to me. I just think he is such a clever accessory and a neat use of technology. I would highly suggest purchasing one on Ebay, I think most people would enjoy it.

Clotho
08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
We got our Pal Mickey in Feb 2006. Not sure which version this is?

Will it still work and be useful when we got back in January?

What outfit was he in? Did you buy him in the parks?

Any previous Mickey will still work, he just won't have data on any attractions that came out since he was released. In your case, things like the Nemo Attraction at Epcot, Expedition Everest in AK, etc. But he will work just fine for everything else. It's a small limitation.

Figgyluv03
08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I would love to buy Pal Mickey for DBf since it's his first trip! If I do end up purchasing it at the World, would I be able to purchase it early and have it in the room for us when we get there? I think it would be a nice treat for him, since I won't be 100% tour guide mode myself.

koyote19
08-03-2007, 09:06 PM
What outfit was he in? Did you buy him in the parks?

Any previous Mickey will still work, he just won't have data on any attractions that came out since he was released. In your case, things like the Nemo Attraction at Epcot, Expedition Everest in AK, etc. But he will work just fine for everything else. It's a small limitation.

We got him in the park, he's in a tuxedo.

I don't really care about the new ride info, but will it still update us when a parade is about to start or if a line is short?

Clotho
08-03-2007, 09:13 PM
We got him in the park, he's in a tuxedo.

I don't really care about the new ride info, but will it still update us when a parade is about to start or if a line is short?

Absolutely. That info is updated as you enter each park. If you are at all concerned, go to a shop that sells him and have his data updated there. :)

HAVE FUN!

psychotekkie
08-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Whoa everybody! Before you go and purchase a second Pal Mickey, just check around. I am positively sure I read from another post that if you take your Pal to MK.... ummmm.... somewhere on Main Street but I can't remember where, they will take in your Pal and update his microchip with the latest stuff. And I am not positive but I think it was either for free or for a very small fee.

Certainly this would be a better deal than buying a whole new one. And then if you really want the new clothes you can buy them separately for less than another whole Pal.

Let me do some more research and I will try to get back to this thread if I find out the specifics.:mickey:

K8screen
08-04-2007, 06:05 AM
We are just back, and I didnt notice one anywhere. I wasnt looking all the time, of course, too much to do ;), but I thought I would have spotted SOMEONE with one.

Gottaluvgoof
08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Gotta luv Pal Mickey's jokes :mjump: My daughter bought one last year on our trip. We loved him. Still do and he's going with us in September.