PDA

View Full Version : Year of a Million Dreams Extended Through December 31, 2008!!!

Eeyore's Pal
08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
In the Fall Mickey Monitor it states that the Year of a Million Dreams promotion is going to be extended for another year. Yeah!!!

Since we premiered The Year of a Million Dreams, our Guests have seen so many wonderful dreams come true, they’ve wished that this amazing event wouldn’t have to end. Well, we have great news, and we’re telling you first!

We’ve decided to continue The Year of a Million Dreams celebration for one more exciting year! You’re among the first to know that all the fun, magic and dreams come true will continue through December 31, 2008! And we hope some of the extra dreams will be yours!

New dreams are coming true next year

You’ll be happy to hear that there are a lot of new surprises in store as we continue The Year of a Million Dreams. As next year unfolds, we’ll immerse you in new parades and the exciting new attraction, Toy Story Mania!, where you’ll interact with characters from the Disney•Pixar “Toy Story” films in exciting 3-D midway-style games. It’s a different experience every time!

But like any beautiful dream, The Year of a Million Dreams can’t last forever. Be sure that you’re a part of all the excitement for one more year. In the meantime, have fun telling all your non-Passholder friends this news they probably haven’t heard yet!

Christine
08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh good! Another year for the Dream Team to pass me over! :thumbsup:

goofyfan4466
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
what is the mickey monitor ?

Christine
08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
what is the mickey monitor ?

It's a newsletter that goes out quarterly to annual passholders.

poeticeclipse
08-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh my gosh!! Are you serious??? That means one more year of chances to stay in Cindy's castle!!!

LaDracul
08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
YES!!!!!

This makes me even more excited about going in May!

:mickey::ewok::dory::kermit::stitch::jack:

Figment!
08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
It might be good to clarify if this pertains to the Year of a Million Dreams (marketing promotion), the Disney Dreams Giveaway (giveaway of prizes) or both.

mickey&missy
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I had seen a rumor on another board about this. A person who is supposed to be a cm said "why stop at a million, we're just getting started!"

I'm excited! When we where there in October they had just started and there where very few dream teamers out and about giving out prizes.

CleveSJM
08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
If this is true, I really, really hope they rename it to "The Dreams Continue" or something...

It's bad enough it's 15 months now, make it 27 or 30 and everyone will wonder if Disney know's how long a "year" is...

Geez, the word Year is part of the promotion... :confused::confused::blush::confused::confused:

mdearmas
08-01-2007, 03:58 PM
This is so awesome. I got caught by the dream squad and given a prize so I can't wait for it to maybe happen again! Maybe i'll get lucky in september on my vacation! :goofy:

automation85
08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I worry about this promotion in general. When people come in expected to be handed a prize, it takes the magic out of it. Sure, your chances of getting a prize are small, but when people know about it, they don't seem to feel the excitement as much.

I've seen on other posts how take 5's and magical moments were amazing, for a cast member took their time to give you a special experience. But when they are told to give out X number of prizes out, or to look for a specific type of group to give out a prize, both the cast member and the recipient seem to feel like it was the person's job to do it.

IMHO, this year of a million dreams was a nice thought, but really didn't increase ticket sales enough to warrant a return. I don't know, maybe if they stuck to making the experience for everyone magical, everyone's expectation would be to have fun, not to win a free cruise.

I realize that not everyone goes into the parks expecting anything more than the vacation. But this promotion leads many down the path of jealousy.

But then again, this is just my :twocents:

Eeyore's Pal
08-01-2007, 04:30 PM
It might be good to clarify if this pertains to the Year of a Million Dreams (marketing promotion), the Disney Dreams Giveaway (giveaway of prizes) or both.

Here is exactly what it says:
Since we premiered The Year of a Million Dreams, our Guests have seen so many wonderful dreams come true, they’ve wished that this amazing event wouldn’t have to end. Well, we have great news, and we’re telling you first!

We’ve decided to continue The Year of a Million Dreams celebration for one more exciting year! You’re among the first to know that all the fun, magic and dreams come true will continue through December 31, 2008! And we hope some of the extra dreams will be yours!

New dreams are coming true next year

You’ll be happy to hear that there are a lot of new surprises in store as we continue The Year of a Million Dreams. As next year unfolds, we’ll immerse you in new parades and the exciting new attraction, Toy Story Mania!, where you’ll interact with characters from the Disney•Pixar “Toy Story” films in exciting 3-D midway-style games. It’s a different experience every time!

But like any beautiful dream, The Year of a Million Dreams can’t last forever. Be sure that you’re a part of all the excitement for one more year. In the meantime, have fun telling all your non-Passholder friends this news they probably haven’t heard yet!

By the way Figment, thanks for all the wonderful news that you report. I always check out your thread to see the latest info.:thumbsup:

Figment!
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I've added the quote to your original post. :thumbsup:

The announcement doesn't specifically mention the Disney Dreams Giveaway by name, but it does seem to infer they are extending it as well.

bleukarma
08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
That's good news! I liked this promotion!! I didn't go in expecting anything, but the idea that it might happen got me even more excited about being there! And it was just bonus when I actually got a dream fastpass!! :mickey:

snifflesmcg
08-01-2007, 04:45 PM
That's cool. I'm glad they are extending it.

CleveSJM
08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
It's a nice promotion but it shows me that they have a REAL lack of creativity in the DIS marketing department. I'd fire that VP tomorrow.

Let's see... 30 months and over a million prizes, let's call it "The Year of a Million Dreams." You can't get 2 of 6 words wrong in a promotion motto.

Also, the "... can't last forever ..." line is sad. Yes it can if you can't think of anything better... :confused:

Deesdisney
08-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Great news. I am going in feb. so this is really good news. Yeah!!!!!! I hope to be one of the visitors that wins. I would love to have a DVC timeshare.

mousetrapper
08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Perhaps they're extending it to give the word-of-mouth machine more time to generate buzz about this. Maybe the thinking is, by the time some people hear about it and decide now's the time to take that WDW vacation, the promo would be over...?

Crow
08-01-2007, 08:26 PM
it would b nice to allow more people to experience the magic

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I am not saying this is a good thing or bad thing.... I am neutral to the promotion... Maybe it is better off they continue the same promotion until they can come up with a knock out of a promotion to counter Hairy Otter opening in the U word parks....

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM

:rotfl: Me too!!

Melanie
08-02-2007, 10:07 PM
My :twocents: --------> :ack:

Spaceship Tigger
08-03-2007, 12:13 AM
My :twocents: --------> :ack:

I concur.

I don't think it is a good promotion at all. A good promotion exists to makes people want to come to the parks. The promotion often seems to say that if you come to WDW you might win something. If people are coming to WDW because they hear about the Dreams giveaways and then walk away empty-handed (like most people do), some of those people will be fairly disappointed.

DisneyDudet
08-03-2007, 03:29 AM
It does seem the "dreams" have dwindled, even thought I'm sure in science they haven't. So many people are saying they haven't seen a dream squad, when, in the first few months, there were plenty.

I sure hope they change the name, because, they REALLY don't know what year is. Things last 18 months to them.. hardly ever a year.

I am really disappointed, but since I'm going in October, and not again until Jan 2009 for the Marathon, I can live with the celebration.

I just hope that when this Celebration of a Million Years (what I will call it from now on) is over, they will still continue to make guests feel as special, minus Dream Team.

Like I've always said, why do we need a celebration to celebrate what Disney and Cast Members should be doing every day?

CleveSJM
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I... Celebration of a Million Years ...

Perfect! LOL! :D:rotfl::thumbsup:

Horizon93
08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Well this mens I now have 2 trips during this thing and I still will never see the "dream team".

HOLITRIN
08-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I think the concept of this is wonderful. Maybe Disney will expand their "dreams" to include not only a stay in Cindy's castle or all day fastpasses.

Some ideas are:

1. An upgrade when checking into your resort
to a suit or DVC accomodations.

2. An meal at one of the signiture restaurants
(on Disney)

3. A matching character tee-shirt or
sweatshirt for the entire family.

4. Special passes to MVMCP or MVSHP.

There are so many other ideas that can be part of the promotion!!

NotaGeek
08-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Hmmm. Did they not come up with another park promotion in the last year and a half? I am personally a bit tired of this promotion, and even more tired of chasing that Dream Squad around the park every time I visit! :mickey:

Another year ... thank goodness they are pulling all those creepy pixie decorations from DLR and trying to let the WDW and DLR have their own personalities again ... well, I guess in that case Dreams did Come True for some of us! :balloon:

wjrhw
08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I would love to visit WDW during the year of no celebrations. Just a normal trip. Having standard non-celebrating times would make the celebrations actually special. When they never stop they are not special and don't make me want to visit any more or less.

I will have at least 2 more trips to be passed over by the Dream Team. Last January we just missed them over and over which frustrated us. We tried not to let it bother us, but after awhile it just seemed outrageous. I hope I don't see any Dream Team members next week when I'm there because I'd rather not think about it.

dlpmikki
08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok, I didn't chase the dream teams in the park although I did trade pins with one of them. I didn't win anything but I saw quite a few folks over the trip with dream fast passes and we all know Ian won a night in the castle. Those who win seem to be pretty happy about it and some of them even share it by passing on passes they can't use for example. I like the idea of Disney being nice to guests and those guests being nice to other guests!

I did do a few postcard entries and actually won 3 times (2 hats and a lanyard) but that felt pretty good too.

Some of the stories about little extras being given by staff are great and there do seem to be more of them happening than before. Not enough to make it a matter of course but enough to realise something special is happening. If this extra year makes more people happy then great. If everyone is grumpy who misses out on a 'special' prize/moment while there then maybe not so great. But is that the guests fault or Disney's fault?

IloveDisney71
08-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Some of the stories about little extras being given by staff are great and there do seem to be more of them happening than before. Not enough to make it a matter of course but enough to realise something special is happening. If this extra year makes more people happy then great. If everyone is grumpy who misses out on a 'special' prize/moment while there then maybe not so great. But is that the guests fault or Disney's fault?
I totally agree! :mickey:
I think Disney is a great place all on its own, but I think it is a great idea that they are going above and beyond with the extra "little perks".

Nate's Grandpa
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I think the concept of this is wonderful. Maybe Disney will expand their "dreams" to include not only a stay in Cindy's castle or all day fastpasses.

Some ideas are:

1. An upgrade when checking into your resort
to a suit or DVC accomodations.

2. An meal at one of the signiture restaurants
(on Disney)

3. A matching character tee-shirt or
sweatshirt for the entire family.

4. Special passes to MVMCP or MVSHP.

There are so many other ideas that can be part of the promotion!!

I agree with you completely!

Bethanymouse
08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
This is great news!

lockedoutlogic
08-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I concur.

I don't think it is a good promotion at all. A good promotion exists to makes people want to come to the parks. The promotion often seems to say that if you come to WDW you might win something. If people are coming to WDW because they hear about the Dreams giveaways and then walk away empty-handed (like most people do), some of those people will be fairly disappointed.

I too...think this is one of the worst promotions they've done....

A free meal or a hotel night is great and all....but beyond that is just seems to be windrow dressing at tthe best.

I'd rather they saved the money that went into planning and execution and put it into a new show, restaurant, or attraction....
...something tangible that everyone could use.

IF they want a "celebration" at all times....a 25 year of EPCOT would have been fine...

ccp1
08-04-2007, 08:46 AM
IF they want a "celebration" at all times....a 25 year of EPCOT would have been fine...

I agree!

Has anyone else noticed lately that the Year of a Million Dreams has been looking more like a Year of a Million REHABS?

Spaceship Tigger
08-06-2007, 12:11 AM

Definitely... at least something internal to Epcot. Now it feels like they've totally ignored the park's fairly important birthday. After all, they did have a 25th birthday for the Magic Kingdom.

Also, I wonder how much this multi-year 'promotion' costs vs. the design and building of one ride in the WoL or remaining 20K space, neither of which they seem to be able to do...

Bethanymouse
08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Has anyone else noticed lately that the Year of a Million Dreams has been looking more like a Year of a Million REHABS?

This is so true! And funny!:D

DisneyJunkie
08-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Woo-hoo! Now I have even MORE to look forward to when we go back in September 08!

fig's disney
08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I think simply the thrill of the possiblity is what makes this promotion work.....like the idea in Vegas "just one more hand and I could be a millionaire".....People are drawn to the maybe.....and it is true some will be dissapointed,i just doubt it will be a major bummer for anyone...(but if your like me seeing people happy @ WDW makes me happy)

I'm excited that they did extend this because it give those who don't make a yearly journey to disney an oppurtunity too.

I also agree with someone's previous statement about Disney trying to think of a really powerfull promotion to combat the sure to be insane Potter-mania in 2009.........We shall have to wait and see though!!!!

I like most of their promotions......I still have the "Celebrate the future, hand in hand" theme stuck in my head

lockedoutlogic
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Definitely... at least something internal to Epcot. Now it feels like they've totally ignored the park's fairly important birthday. After all, they did have a 25th birthday for the Magic Kingdom.

Also, I wonder how much this multi-year 'promotion' costs vs. the design and building of one ride in the WoL or remaining 20K space, neither of which they seem to be able to do...

I'm sure the cost to do it was way more than you think....

but even if it wouldn't be enough for a new E-ticket....to go towards anything new at MGM, a table service at AK, or an Animal Habitat at AK would have been a far greater use of the funds...

OR a main pool at CBR that isn't 1/5th the size it needs to be...or or a hot tub or two at the poly...or part of a monorail station at WL....anything....

Mickey07
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM

I hear ya, all I wanted on our last trip was one of those fastpass tickets...since they extended it maybe I can get one on our next trip. :thumbsup:

CleveSJM
08-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I hear ya, all I wanted on our last trip was one of those fastpass tickets...since they extended it maybe I can get one on our next trip. :thumbsup:

:whisper::fingers:
I think I have a little tip to increase your odds slightly. After my own experience and everything I've read, it seems most of the "easy" prizes are given away early in the morning and to people in line for, on, or just off of a ride.

People that "sleep in" and don't ride the rides have lower chances of getting ears, a FP, and/or pins.

Get there early, ride the rides and you'll maximize your chance to see the Dream Squad with a duffel bag.:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Very Cool!!! Glad it will still be going on for upcoming trips...I think it adds to the "magic" to have the "dreams can come true" possibility..........:mickey: