PDA

View Full Version : Best place to take kids for ice cream

courtney2006
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
We will be in WDW in a little over two weeks and we can't wait! The first night we get there we won't be going to any of the parks and thought maybe we would just walk around and check things out. Can anyone suggest a good place to get ice cream? My husband is an ice cream addict and since I'm sure it will be hot, he'll be worse than ever!

Figgyluv03
08-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Beaches and Cream!! It's at the Beach Club resort! They have something called the Kitchen Sink and it's literally a kitchen since with all this ice cream and every single topping you can imagine!

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
DH and I have never been to Beaches and Cream, but we are definitely trying it on our next trip in December! I want to get that kitchen sink!

We have had incredible ice cream at Ghirardelli in the Marketplace. :cloud9: That's some of the best ice cream I've ever had.

BelleBeauty
08-01-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree - Beach & Cream for the Kitchen Sink. No better way to start the family magic than sharing that!

Gusgus
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Hands down Beaches and Cream! To get there exit Epcot through the "back" entrance between France and England. It's at the beach and yacht club about a 10 minute walk.

There is also the ice cream shop on main street at MK and Giradelli's at downtown Disney.

Gusgus

shan-ash
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I also agree with Beaches and Cream. Then you guys can walk around the boardwalk to see the sights:mickey:

dizneeat
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Another vote for Beaches and Cream and another vote for the kitchen sink!
If you cannot make it there Ghirardelli's at DTD is a good runner up!

Have fun and enjoy your ice-cream!

gauvin4
08-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I have never been to Beaches & Cream (plan to in Dec.) but I know Ghiradelli's is awesome!!!:mickey:

mook3y
08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Beaches and Cream!! It's at the Beach Club resort! They have something called the Kitchen Sink and it's literally a kitchen since with all this ice cream and every single topping you can imagine!

:number1: What Figgy said!

tadshome
08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Ghiradelli's at Downtown gets my vote :thumbsup:

hokies4life
08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I am definitely an ice cream addict too, and I most definitely agree with Ghiradelli's :thumbsup:. They have amazing sundaes!!

:chipdale:

AvonleaCF
08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
In my opinion I'd go to Downtown Disney. There's more to see and really gets you in the magic. Plus it's easier to get to Downtown Disney from a resort than to the Beach Club.

Stop at Ghiradelli's for ice cream.

disney_mommy
08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
About how much does the Kitchen Sink cost? I have heard great things about it and I think it would be a fun thing to try.

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
About how much does the Kitchen Sink cost? I have heard great things about it and I think it would be a fun thing to try.

$21.99

animalkingdomguy
08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Beaches and Cream for a traditional parlor or any cart for a Mickey Bar.

wdwfan
08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Went to Beaches & Cream for the first time couple of weeks ago. Had a very good lunch, then ice cream sundaes. The ice cream is very good, I was just disappointed that they have butterscotch as a topping flavor and it's carmel. DH had banana split which was yummy too! Ghirardelli's has real butterscotch and that's my favorite. The girls picked Ghirardelli's over B&C as having better sundae's.
So, I'd pick Ghirardelli's plus you have more to do in DD.

CleveSJM
08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Ghirardelli's for sure. Especially if you like chocolate ice cream. Chocolate is Ghirardelli's specialty and it is awesome.

Like raspberry and chocolate together? You MUST get a Foghorn at Ghirardelli's... It's the best ice cream dessert I've ever had.:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
08-01-2007, 04:28 PM
With kids, we actually prefer the Sweet Shop on Disney's Boardwalk - get cones and walk around the BW, play some games, see some entertainment - very fun atmosphere! :clown:

Our other favs have been mentioned - Ghirardelli's and B&C.

You can't go wrong! :tasty:

LibertyTreeGal
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Beaches & Cream or Ghiradelli's get my vote too!

Checkers
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
:mickey:Ghiradelli's at DTD. DTD would be easier to get to also -- should be able to get a boat at POR. Have a great trip.

snifflesmcg
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Ghirardelli's for sure. Especially if you like chocolate ice cream. Chocolate is Ghirardelli's specialty and it is awesome.

Like raspberry and chocolate together? You MUST get a Foghorn at Ghirardelli's... It's the best ice cream dessert I've ever had.:thumbsup:

This is something my BF would probably love. What's all in it?

tinkerbell04
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
ghiradellis' gets my vote!:mickey:

CleveSJM
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
This is something my BF would probably love. What's all in it?

Not sure exactly everything but it's a few scoops of the world's best, richest chocolate ice cream, then a layer of freshly ground raspberry sauce (I've seen them make it. A little sugar and about 5 packages of fresh raspberrys crammed into the blender and "saucified"), then some more of the creamiest, richest chocolate ice cream, topped with real whipped cream and little Ghirradelli chocolate chips.

Wow, when's the next flight down to Orlando. I need one now! ;)

I've also been to Ghirradelli's in downtown Chicago, Monterey CA, and, of course, San Fran if those places are closer...

Jared
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Beaches and Cream is my favorite ice cream place, especially for huge sundaes.

:)

courtney2006
08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. I knew that I could count on you guys! It looks like we'll have to try both Beaches and Cream and Ghiradelli. I can't wait!:thumbsup:

wendy*darling
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Since you are staying at Port Orleans- I think a lovely boat ride down to Downtown Disney is in order! :thumbsup:

Ghiradelli's is terrific, too. Best ice cream in a great location.

Have fun. We'll be right behind you (18 days and counting):mickey:

HOLITRIN
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Definitely Beaches and Cream for the Kitchen sink. But don't forget, when you're in the MK you MUST get a Dole Whip!! :cloud9:

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Well, if you can hold out until you're at MK, or just give yourselves an extra treat once you're there.... The Main Street Bake Shop has the Tollhouse Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches which are absolutely to die for!!!!!!!!:cloud9:

LoriMistress
08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I would suggest going to The Boardwalk Resort. Walk down the boardwalk there will be a restaurant that's called Beaches and Cream. I would suggest just have the entire family split the Kitchen Sink.

Or go to DTD and eat at Ghirardelli. DH and I would eat there several times on our last trip. If you save your reciept, you'll get 10% of your next purchase.

tinksmom02
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Here's another vote for Ghirardelli's--their hot fudge is fantabulous! :mickey:

Although...the kitchen sink sounds yummy, and I would love to try it someday!

Soul_Power
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
As if it hasn't been said a whole bunch of times already, Beaches & Cream for sure! My boyfriend and I were at WDW in June and made it appoint to go to Beaches & Cream because of the fact that everyone raves about their ice cream! Because it was only the two of us, we skipped the Kitchen Sink and went with a banana split instead. It was DELISH! The whole restaurant just has a really fun ice cream vibe to it as well!

Have a great trip - I'm soo jealous!

snifflesmcg
08-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Not sure exactly everything but it's a few scoops of the world's best, richest chocolate ice cream, then a layer of freshly ground raspberry sauce (I've seen them make it. A little sugar and about 5 packages of fresh raspberrys crammed into the blender and "saucified"), then some more of the creamiest, richest chocolate ice cream, topped with real whipped cream and little Ghirradelli chocolate chips.

Wow, when's the next flight down to Orlando. I need one now! ;)

I've also been to Ghirradelli's in downtown Chicago, Monterey CA, and, of course, San Fran if those places are closer...

I'll have to let him know. We went to a local place that has homemade raspberry ice cream with chocolate sauce ect ect. He ate that up!

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 04:30 AM
I would have to go with Ghirardelli's!! :cloud9:

8 more days!

playdead88
08-02-2007, 05:57 AM
i agree beaches n cream is awesome! and not just the kitchen sink they have a menu of yummy icecream but i also have to add tamu tamu at animal kingdom which we think has the best soft serve in the world and anything from aloha isle in adventure land! :eat:

jwallace378
08-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I'd vote for Ghirardelli's as well. Very high quality ice cream. Beaches n Cream is good as well. It's got more of a "fun" atmosphere.

Maleficent's Dad
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I would suggest going to The Boardwalk Resort. Walk down the boardwalk there will be a restaurant that's called Beaches and Cream.
B&C is actually at the BC - across the lake from the BW.

ImagiAsh
08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Another vote for Beaches 'N Cream-- it's an absolute must! I wasn't a fan of the Kitchen Sink, but the Strawberry Shortcake...amazing!

Spinmatt
08-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Just got back from WDW, 4 of us split a kitchen sink and could not get through it.(and this was 2-3 hrs after eating dinner). While we were there, a group of five guys (approx 20yr olds)each tried one, only 1 ate in within an hour (free if you can do it). But it was worth the trip just to try it. and it was reasonably priced.
Try this link for a video of the Kitchen sink
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/video.html%3FplayerId%3D203712212%26lineupId%3D562 438188%26titleId%3D17041151

ElenitaB
08-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the awesome video!

Even though DTD and Ghirardelli's is more convenient to POR, you can't beat the atmosphere at the Boardwalk for some fun family time and walking (or riding a surrey bike) the ice cream calories away (oh, I forgot... Disney desserts don't have calories! :secret: )

Wrigley
08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Another vote for Beaches and Cream!!!! Awesome ice cream!:cloud9: