PDA

View Full Version : USA take on the Beckham Circus

RAIDER
08-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Just curious to know how you feel about David Beckham ... Do you think he is worth the money
Do you think he will have any effect on MLS in your country .....

Just for the record my thoughts are these.... He was a half good player for England and likeable ..His downfall on the English point of view was his wife ( Posh Spice ) on the English scene . As she has been so pushy :mad:with the media etc ..

However for that money the LA GALAXY is paying they could have got someone far better

kaylamag
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I used to like to watch Beckham play for England, although now that he is in the US, i could care less. I really don't think he is going to do much for the popularity of the sport in the US either.

Scar
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, first of all, I’m not in LA so I don’t know about there, but in the rest of the USA it is certainly not a circus. My father, who watches the news everyday wouldn’t know who he was if he hit him in the head with a soccer ball (sorry, football. ;) )

As far as being “worth it”, I guess if they can sell about 2,000,000 more tickets a year (league wide) over the next 5 years because of him then he will be.

And yea, they probably could have gotten five far better players than him at that price.

Christine
08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I guess it's a fair trade...we get the Beckhams, you get Madonna! :D

Who would you like next??? :thedolls:

We'd like Johnny Depp back, please!! :blush:

RAIDER
08-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I guess it's a fair trade...we get the Beckhams, you get Madonna! :D

Who would you like next??? :thedolls:

We'd like Johnny Depp back, please!! :blush:

hahaha .:)...... please dont send over Paris Hilton :ack: to us even though she would have an excuse for bad driving as were on the otherside of the road:D

As for Madonna we dont mind her at least she can sing unlike Beckhams wife :D :thumbsup:

Christine
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
hahaha .:)...... please dont send over Paris Hilton :ack: to us even though she would have an excuse for bad driving as were on the otherside of the road:D

As for Madonna we dont mind her at least she can sing unlike Beckhams wife :D :thumbsup:

Alright then, would you like Britney????

RAIDER
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Alright then, would you like Britney????

Beyonce or Halle Berry and then we will hand over Depp :thedolls: :D

And if the USA want to buy other overated English players you are welcome to Frank Lampard of Chelsea :D

Christine
08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Beyonce or Halle Berry and then we will hand over Depp :thedolls: :D

And if the USA want to buy other overated English players you are welcome to Frank Lampard of Chelsea :D

Done! Now give us Capt. Jack! :pirate:

We would be happy to take more English sports players. Just no criminal ones...we have enough of those! :rolleyes:

MGKpotc8283
08-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I think Beckham is doing exactly what the LA Galaxy and the MLS expected him to do. He's selling more tickets in stadiums, selling more jerseys (no coincidence that the Galaxy just happened to get a uniform change at the same time he arrives), and yes people are more aware that there is a professional soccer league in the U.S. Will the league gain more fans? Probably, but not enough to make soccer one of the "major" sports of the country. I don't live in LA, but I'm sure there are plenty of people wearing Beckham jerseys around town, but most of these people are the same ones who probably have never even watched a MLS game(which becomes annoying to us real soccer fans). As for Beckham's skill; sure there are plenty of players in Europe that probably have more skill. But can they sell as many tickets or as many jerseys? Not in America (most Americans wouldn't know who those other players are; they do know who Beckham is). It's your typical double edged sword. Yeah it stinks that it's probably become more about selling more kits and tickets, but at the same time if you don't bring him, then the league's not making nearly as much money. The same money that the MLS can now use to go out and get those players who some people feel may have more skill. Personally, I'm enjoying Beckham being here. I just wish he didn't have that injury. During the 16 minutes he did play he looked alright (the one 40 yard service he sent up the pitch looked nice). I do get to see more games on tv now as well. I can't wait to see him play when he comes to my area.

BrerSchultzy
08-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I think the bigger deal about this whole Beckham thing is that we will get to see more of Landon Donovan and the final year of Cobi Jones' career.
I don't think American soccer will catch on, unless we can rally around the American players. Nothing personal, of course, but let's face it...Americans prefer to watch Americans succeed. I think Beckham will help to bring exposure to some of the North American talent, and THAT is where the true value of Beckham comes in.

After all, I still remember the chaos that surrounded Valderrama when he came in...and I thought THAT was a big deal.

I also think that losing Freddy Adu to Portugal will hurt the league a little bit, but I think it will hurt Freddy's career more than it will hurt the MLS.

Davyjones
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I am reserving judgement on Becks until he actually starts playing on a regular basis. He still has a good amount of skill left, just ask Real Madrid and Fabio Capello. He has enough to earn a recall to the England side. Until he actually starts playing in matches, I don't think I can truly say whether he is worth the money he's being paid.

I saw a banner during a Galaxy match that said "Bench it like Beckham". I found it funny.

As far as Freddy Adu goes, I think his move to Benfica will be a good one for him. I think he was kind of stifled here in the MLS and did not play in a position he was comfortable with. He had flashes of the old Freddy during the U-20s World Cup. I hope that continues with Benfica.

Melanie
08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Done! Now give us Capt. Jack! :pirate:

Totally off topic, but I thought Johnny Depp lived in France, not England. :confused:

Anywho, I think the Beckham circus is a little much at this point, but will reserve further judgement until a while into his tenure in LA.

That said, I watched a bit of Victoria's show, and that was ridiculously scripted. :unsure:

Christine
08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Totally off topic, but I thought Johnny Depp lived in France, not England. :confused:

I stand corrected! He is in France...I don't know why but I thought he was in England???