PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress refurb or replacement?

StitchplusTink=STINK
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Now i could just be going crazy, but is there any chance that Disney is going to replace or refurb COP???i really hope they just change the attraction all together. its really stupid. the only purpose it serves is a cool place to be in the summer. what are you :twocents: and do you know if this is a rumor, something in the works, or if they are definetly doing it? please tell me anything you know. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SBETigg
07-31-2007, 12:41 PM
I really enjoy the Carousel of Progress. I'm not sure what the plans are for the attraction, but it is a sentimental favorite of many due to Walt Disney's involvement and I don't think it will go away anytime soon. Refurbishment is always a possibility- they tend to keep the final scene updated as much as possible.

chrisb26
07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
The Carousel of Progress is one of my all time favorites at WDW. I love to watch the progress of time on that ride it is so cool. I would be very upset if they where to ever remove this ride I don't think that would make many people happy. The only thing I does think need to be done to it is maybe update the last scene because all that stuff is out already. I think it would be neat to make what the future could hold.

Dopey's Girl
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I love CoP and would be so crushed if they ever got rid of it all together. Sure it could use some updates (the last scene is a bit dated) but getting rid of it all together would just be too sad!

Imagineer1981
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Now i could just be going crazy, but is there any chance that Disney is going to replace or refurb COP???i really hope they just change the attraction all together. its really stupid. the only purpose it serves is a cool place to be in the summer. what are you :twocents: and do you know if this is a rumor, something in the works, or if they are definetly doing it? please tell me anything you know. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT??? This is part of Walt's legacy! Under no circumstance should it ever be removed. However, refurbished/updated would be great. With all the new technology Disney has invented, I am sure there is a way to bring excitement and a freshness to this attraction.

mdearmas
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
the carousel of progress is one of my and my DW's favorite rides in WDW. We can not go to the MK without a ride on this ride. It would truly be a shame if they were to get rid of it. Having said that, the final scene could use a refurb! :goofy:

WDWgoofy
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Gotta keep CoP, it a unique attraction and one dear to Walt Disney.:mickey:

JPL
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
CoP is a classic not just a Disney Classic but an American Classic. It truly show the spirit of Walt and what he was all about. This attraction should be preserved at all costs.

Marker
07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
its really stupid. the only purpose it serves is a cool place to be in the summer.

STUPID?!?!?! Now come on. Granted, you may not like it, but that surely doesn't equate to it being STUPID. And by declaring it to be STUPID, does that also imply a similar assessment of those who enjoy it?

No, it doesn't go upside down, doesn't go fast enough to require seat belts, doesn't scare you, and doesn't increase your heart rate, but to many people it is a very enjoyable stage show.

Some people enjoy it, and some people don't. However, isn't that the idea, to provide something for everyone. In fact, I'd say the same could be said for every attraction, and every park in WDW, some people like it and some people don't.

Not liking an attraction is fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and their opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but STUPID just seems a little harsh to me, a little condecending. But then that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong. Maybe I'm just in an overly sensitive mood today.

But to me, the fact that there are people who enjoy it, including myself, does in fact give it a purpose other than just coming in out of the heat. That purpose is it makes us happy, and to me that's not STUPID at all. Certainly not everything has to be "exciting" to be enjoyed.

IloveDisney71
07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
CoP is a classic not just a Disney Classic but an American Classic. It truly show the spirit of Walt and what he was all about. This attraction should be preserved at all costs.
I totally agree with this statement. It is a must see for my entire family on every trip and my family includes 2 teenagers! I would be very upset if they ever closed it!

DisneyTeen
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Though it may be dated and it may not hold up to other attractions within the world, this is "Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress", as it says on the sign for the attraction. I think it will never be updated and never go away just because of the involvement that Walt had in this project as well as the history this attaction holds.

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 01:17 PM
I love CoP and would be so crushed if they ever got rid of it all together. Sure it could use some updates (the last scene is a bit dated) but getting rid of it all together would just be too sad!

:ditto: CoP is one of my all time favs!! I would be devestated if they ever tore it down. I don't think they will since they knew this was one of Walt's babies.

dumbo ears
07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
i don't think that cop will go anywhere. its a classic attraction that was one of the firsts at the mk and if they did anything to it they would maybe refurb it.

cajunprincess
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I love this attraction. On my very first trip, I made my husband go on it several times. I have visited it every time since then. I hope that this one stays. A refurb would be ok, but it definatley needs to stay.

DawsonAR
07-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I LOVE CoP. I would hate for them to remove it.

Rosanne
07-31-2007, 01:31 PM
If Disney got rid of CoP I would be a wreck. Seriously, CoP is a classic.
Do I think they could upgrade the last scene? Yes. Slightly. But there's no way they could get rid of it.

Learning the history of CoP may help you appreciate it more. My trip is not complete until I ride CoP.

offero
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
In as much as I love the COP it badly needs a facelift. if possible use the starting stage to add another era. Then it could be the 1890's, the 1920's, the 1950's, the 1980’s and then the 2000's.

Getting rid of it could be one of the worst things they could do to the true Disney fans. (Patriotic music plays and people start to stand one by one.) To me that ride is as much a part of the park as Pirates, IASW or HM. This is not just a ride but a treasure. The ride echoes back to the beginning of Disney, Walt himself had a hand in its conception and we have family members who are now 'older' who rode this as children in Disneyland with their parents. The ride stands as a testament to what the park can do and has done.

Pixie Power
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Our entire family would be absolutely crushed if they got rid of CoP...it's a Walt Disney classic in the true sense of the word.:mickey: We're even :( when we are there and it isn't open to enjoy. But still just knowing that Walt's legacy is there, intact, but not open, still makes us :D!

LauraF
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
its really stupid. the only purpose it serves is a cool place to be in the summer.
You probably won't get a lot of favorable responses with an ignorant comment like that. At least I don't have to worry about standing behind you in line!:D

I enjoy the CoP quite a bit actually, for more than free shade and AC. It may not require seat belts, medical clearance or scare people, but nobody said it needed to. I prefer my rides with a story and some soul.

I've seen it through one update already and it did a nice job of keeping the spirit of the ride. That is a CLASSIC Walt Disney ride - cherishing where we've come from, celebrating where we are, and wondering where we might end up. I have yet to talk to my stove when it's cooking, or teach my grandparents VR, but that doesn't make it any less valid a ride for me. I don't mind if they choose to update it as long as they keep it in the parks.

battlefield2freak
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
dont expect it to be going anywhere. it was one of the few WDW rides walt had a hand in making and its a classic and where would it go if it was taken out, it fits perfectly in MK and tomorrowland just wish they would open it more often.

KAT1811
07-31-2007, 02:56 PM

I agree totally. I love COP and would be devistated to see it removed. I would also like to see the final scene updated. I'd like to see more of what the future could bring.

I also think that the OP has every right to post his/her opinions and the rest of us should be more respectful of that. If they think it is stupid there is nothing wrong with that even if we don't agree.

jszczur5
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
WHAT??? This is part of Walt's legacy! Under no circumstance should it ever be removed. However, refurbished/updated would be great. With all the new technology Disney has invented, I am sure there is a way to bring excitement and a freshness to this attraction.

I agree. CoP is one of our favourite attractions, and not just to escape the heat. I feel a tremendous sense of nostalgia whenever we visit. This is one of the few attractions that carries Walt's personal touch. To eliminate it would be a true sacrilege (not like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride). A little maintenance is in order, as it was not operating perfectly last summer, but no major changes - PLEASE!

okw2006
07-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I can't imagine WDW without COP. It is truly a classic that I enjoy every visit.:thumbsup:

TINKERBELL_82
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow, you're really harsh!! We happen to absolutely love the COP and the wonderful legacy behind it. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the history of the ride. You may have a little more appreciation for it!!

jszczur5
07-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Wow, you're really harsh!! We happen to absolutely love the COP and the wonderful legacy behind it. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the history of the ride. You may have a little more appreciation for it!!

Yeah, what she said!

crazeedizneefinatic
07-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Isn't this ride exactly what the MK is built around?? To remove it would be devastating. It's positively what Walt wanted.

:mickey:
"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day, It's a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away. Man had a dream and that's the start, he followed his dream with mind and heart. And when it becomes a reality its a dream come true for you and me SO IT"S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL................"

Okay, now that the song is stuck in everyones head! I know you were singing along! LOL:mickey:

pook@wdw
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
:twocents: Replacement...I hope not. Refurb...most definitely! The general message of this attraction is right up Walt's alley! However, to appeal to today's audience, there must be some upgrading. I think kids find the "old" days before Ipods and computers somewhat funny. And no cable or even electricity...fugetaboutit!!!:D

AllDisney
07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
We look forward to COP as one of our first stops in MK. It's classic. It's a must.

lindique
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
For those who didn't know, Walt designed this ride for the 1964 World's Fair in NYC. The 4 shows he did for the Fair were the beginnings of audio-animatronics! The original show had scenes from 1900's, 1920's, 1940's and 1960's (the latest technology!!) When the Fair ended, this show (along with Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, it's a small world, and the dinosaurs from the Ford pavilion) was dismantled and moved to Disneyland in California.

When Disney World was being built, the show was brought to Orlando and updated. The song was changed to "The Best Time of Your Life". The final scene was changed to the 70's or 80's. Around 2000, the entire show was updated again and the song was changed back to "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Please correct me if anything I wrote is incorrect.

In any event, the CoP is part of Disney History - it's how audio-animatronics started - and I believe it should remain at Disney World forever. (However, the final scene should continue to be periodically updated.)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
COP is one our favorite family rides. Even my young kids love it.

I would be crushed if it was ever removed and I don't think it ever would be.

Maybe a refurb of the last scene but, that might even be pushing it for me. I really love the ride as it is. :thumbsup:

CandleontheWater
07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Nooooo!!! Don't hurt COP! :fit: I would be seriously devistated if they ever removed this ride. I'm not usually one for drastic action, but if Disney threatened to remove it, I would consider going down there and throwing myself in front of the bulldozers. :blush:

squishy445
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
I never go to the MK without going on CoP. It is one of my top 5 favorite rides in all of WDW. It is one of the few rides left that Walt designed himself and although I know people are constantly wanting something newer and bigger and better, but we also have to preserve some of what makes WDW so special, those nostalgic rides and places in the parks that no matter how old you are make you feel warm and fuzzy. Those orginal things that were his first concepts are what keep him in the heart of what makes Disney so amazing. :dory:

DisneyLuver91
07-31-2007, 09:28 PM
This ride is amazing! I can't even imagine MK without it! Besides, where would the TTA go if it were gone!??! Haha.

But seriously, all they need to do is some maintenance (sp?) and that's it. Its quite amusing seeing how "the future" will look. It makes me giggle. Keep this ride!

And I also think that Uncle Walt said to never remove this attraction in his will. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nekochan
07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
I rode it my last visit, and I seem to remember it from the 1964 world's fair (I was 4). I can't imagine that something that has lasted this long would be changed. Then again, they did (hem hem) upgrade the tiki room.

wdwfansince75
07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
If we all had the same tastes, we'd all need Fast Passes for CoP! Actually, as I see from the responses, most people enjoy the attraction. It is a classic, and I usually ride several times each trip.

Ensuring something for everyone is part of the magic. There is no medal or pin for perfect attendance. If you don't like it, ride something else. If enough people agree with you, Disney will notice that and will decide whether or not to keep it, refurb it, or replace it. I suspect that those of us who love CoP will be able to visit for some time to come!

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
07-31-2007, 10:06 PM

Well Said.

handmaidenofprincesses
07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
If they were ever even to consider doing away with CoP I would go absolutely bonkers and drop in on a CEO meeting through the celing to give them all a piece of my mind! (or something else extreme;))

CoP isn't just a classic.... It's Walt's. It's one of the last few things that remains of him in the parks, of his own ideas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against new attractions. I just think that Walt Disney World ought to have a piece of Walt in it.

That, and I would sorely miss... :sing: There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day! There's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow is just a dream away! man has a dream and that's a start. He follows his dream with mind and heart. And when it becomes a reality it's adream come true for you and me!" :)

PeterPan
07-31-2007, 11:27 PM
To the original poster: Did you actually think your "Stupid" comments would get a favorable response here at Intercot? You are talking to some of the most Disney Savy people on the planet. People here understand TRADITION, LEGACY, and CLASSICS. COP will never go away.

battlefield2freak
07-31-2007, 11:37 PM
you know i just thought of something. if everyone loves this ride then it amazes me how long the line is for it when its open, normal wait for me is like a few minutes. that kind of makes you think though.

Gottaluvgoof
08-01-2007, 08:52 AM
GET RID OF COP? aahhh! I would be very upset! :mad: It's not a thrill ride, but I can't imagine DW without it. We go on it every time we're in the MK. Maybe update but NEVER get rid of.

PeterPanFan
08-01-2007, 08:59 AM
If you want COP gone than your not a disney fan. This was one of Walts all time favorites!

Besides when you leave you feel so good.

Theres a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

What if we all went to sleep with that thought. Wouldnt life be grand.

Rodders
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I was about to get on my high horse when I read the initial post. But many people have already taken the wind from my sails. This is a well loved classic which had a substantial input from Walt himself so IMO an update is the most that they should do :mickey:

DisneyAndRedSox
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Once I was playing a trivia game and got the question "What are the four holidays represented in WDW's CoP?" Everybody just rolled their eyes since I LOVE IT!

My DD is too young for it, every year one of my parents take a turn watching her so I can go in!

jefmblrd
08-01-2007, 10:12 AM
CoP is one of my all-time favorite rides in all of WDW for many of the reasons already stated. Giving it a little TLC would be great but taking it out would be awful.

Darin M
08-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I love CoP. This is one of my favorite attractions at MK. When I step through the entrance, I feel like I am 7 years old again. The show is good and the AC helps too. CoP rocks my socks off.

poeticeclipse
08-01-2007, 10:29 AM
If you know me well... you'd know that i'm a Disney originalist. Things can be "updated" but not changed in a dramatic way. If Walt touched it... leave it (meaning don't remove it). I'm a firm believer that Walt had a reason for doing everything he did. I mean, WDW would not even exist if it were not for this man. To me, it's disrespectful to remove and "overly adjust" something that was Walt's creation.

The last scene is very stale. It's funny but... old. Animatronics will still continue to amaze people no matter how "futuristic" they may get. If they do update the last scene, they need to keep in mind that they can't make the new "people" look too real. It wouldn't blend in with the other scenes at all.

*steps off soapbox*

4ubie1
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
My :twocents: is that it should be kept for sentimental reasons but should definately be refurbished. Last time i was in there, the carpet and seats were looking very sad and the last scene was badly outdated. However, I would be severely upset if they got rid of this attraction all together.:mad:

prttynpnk
08-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Are we being toyed with? Is this heresy being spouted just to get our Disney Dander up?
I still want a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day, gosh darn it! :mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
me and my family would be very upset if they were to get rid of this attraction, it is one of our favorites in mk and is usually the first we go on!

texasteacher
08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Walt Disney loved the COP, and so do I. A little corny, yes, but a classic Disney attraction that I enjoy visiting every trip.

PurpleEeyore
08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Even my ex BF loved this attraction.. and he's a 23 year old cynical Londoner! As much as I love the new attractions there isn't as much warmth and Soul in them as there is in CoP

disneynarula
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I think that the COP should be left alone. I would say that it could use an update to the last scene but past WDW history shows that when WDW updates a ride/attraction they change the whole thing.

I think COP represents Walt's WDW and needs to be left as a testament to his creativity.

magicofdisney
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
If they removed CoP, then I'd begin to know the devastation Horizon fans felt when it was removed. Just as TheRustyScupper can't imagine a Real World without a Disney World, I can't imagine MK without CoP. :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
It wasn't that many years ago that CoP was only open seasonally and all the hot rumors had it closed for good. I remember the "how could they do this?" threads but before long CoP was open on a pretty regular basis.
WDW management needs to remember that a significant percentage of their guests don't want Disney World to become just another collection of thrill rides.
It has a unique heritage.
There was no Mr. Six Flags or Ms. SeaWorld...but there was a Walt Disney. And his spirit lives in classic attractions like CoP. It needs to stay in operation as long as there is a Walt Disney World.
And that is my slightly more than 2 cents worth...

kakn7294
08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm so happy to see so many other people enjoy this attraction as much as I do. It's one of my favorites despite the fact that it's not some big thrill ride. I think what I love the most is the simplistic, idealist life that it portrays. BTW, other than the clothes that they are wearing, what is so dated about the last scene? I don't have an electrical system or stove that responds to my voice commands in my house and video games are as popular as ever.

disneycouple2004
08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
This is one of our all time favorites..i hope they never change it..maybe add to it a little..and for sure NEVER NEVER GET RID OF IT..this was Walt's idea from start to finish..it is a legacy for sure...there is all sorts of info about it..maybe you should read up on it a little and you will understand what this attraction is all about...
Welcome, to Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. You're in for a real treat. The Carousel of Progress was Walt's own idea from beginning to end. He loved it. He introduced the show at the World's Fair in New York City in 1964 and it was an immediate smash hit. Millions of people came to see it and since then, the Carousel of Progress has had more performances than any other stage show in the history of American theater. You know, Walt loved the idea of progress and he loved the American family. He himself was probably as American as anyone could possibly be. He thought it would be fun to watch the American family go through the twentieth century experiencing all new wonders as they came. And he put them together in a show called Carousel of Progress, which we are about to see. Although our Carousel family has experienced a few changes over the years, our show still revolves around the same theme - and that's progress. May the century begin.
:thumbsup:

Darin M
08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
NEITHER, I HEART CoP, this is my nostalgic ride

MadMadamMim
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
CoP is one of the last rides in MK that ushers the rider into a more simple time. Why on earth would they want to get rid of that? Just because some people are unable to appriciate just how wonderful this ride is doesn't mean that Disney has to redo it. Keep it as it is, it's wonderful.

Alpha Jeanie
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I hope that Disney doesnt replace the COP. My whole family enjoys seeing it.

It is one of my favorite memories of Disney vacations from when I was a kid in the 70's. I remember my whole family singing the song...."it's a great big beautiful tomorrow"....together when we were reminising about our vacation.

I hope they only make the necessary repairs and updates to the attraction and not replace it all together.

battlefield2freak
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
BTW, other than the clothes that they are wearing, what is so dated about the last scene? I don't have an electrical system or stove that responds to my voice commands in my house and video games are as popular as ever.

nether do i. do they even make them? also ive never seen a VR video game system other then infamous nintendo one that they made in the 90's. thats all the wii needs is a helmet that pus you in the game it would be perfect for zelda lol.

disneycouple2004
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Found some more good news !!!:D

NEWS FROM CAST MEMBER...

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:09 AM

Subject: This is from a CAST MEMBER

I am happy to report that there is no planned closing of COP!*

COP's external paint refurbish has just been completed last week.

Seating replacement and new carpeting is nearly done,
along with exterior 'pre-show' monitor repairs.

The scrims for the first three scenes will be replaced within the next 3 weeks.

Discussions are currently that the skins on father Audio-Animatronics figures throughout maybe replaced within the next quarter.

While COP isn't totally out of danger--all in the know seem to now believe for the present time there is no plan to remove it or close it.

* There may be some closure of a limited nature for refurbishing

:thumbsup:

battlefield2freak
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
thats great news. i never saww the face of the father AA up close we always sat like 3 rows fromt he back wall so we could get a good view of the entire scene so i guess it must be in bad condition then? if they are replacing carpeting and seats then im sure there will be some closureat some point even though its closed alot as it is right now since its a seasonal attraction.

Mickie the Pooh
08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
This is very good news. If Disney is smart, [which is sometimes questionable LOL] they would rebuild some of the old earlier attractions that the baby boomers remember from their childhood, It isn't like they don't have the room there to do it, if they must put in thrill rides so be it, though Walt no doubt turns in his grave, but bring back what Disney was intended to be, and bring back the quality that made it what it was.

Stu29573
08-09-2007, 08:23 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned (or at least I didn't see it when I was reading through the thread) is that I think this is the ONLY attraction at WDW that Walt personally worked on. Yes, there are Pirates and Small World, etc, but they are copies of the DLR originals. COP is the real deal.

By the way, as for the previous post, I've always wondered why they built Pooh in Mr. Toad's spot instead of on the filled in lagoon. Why do we have NO attractions on this spot? Is it cursed??????:mickey:

DisneyKim22
08-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Get rid of CoP??? Eeegads NOOOO!!!!! I look forward to this ride every trip and I'm glad I always missed the seasonal closure. It's always been open for me!

I am unbelievably happy that the seats and carpet have been replaced as they were getting a bit droopy. I'm okay with a refurb as long as it is just maintenance and sprucing up (and perhaps the updating of the final scene). I'm always afraid when they do major refurbs on rides I love (a.k.a. the original Imagination ride).

burnt orange
08-10-2007, 11:14 PM

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!:mickey:

burnt orange
08-10-2007, 11:18 PM
This is very good news. If Disney is smart, [which is sometimes questionable LOL] they would rebuild some of the old earlier attractions that the baby boomers remember from their childhood, It isn't like they don't have the room there to do it, if they must put in thrill rides so be it, though Walt no doubt turns in his grave, but bring back what Disney was intended to be, and bring back the quality that made it what it was.

You are expressing my sentiments exactly. I still miss World of Motion so much and of course Horizons. At least Soarin' has helped to fill a void.:mickey:

poohbearkris
08-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I just have to say that I took DH to WDW lasr year. This was one of his favorite attractions. I also love it because it may be one of the best depictions of life in the past, reminding us of all the advances over time. I think it is great for teaching children as well. I have loved thid ride since I have been small. I guess if you are looking for more thrill rides, you may want to look for a different park. :pooh::roo:

WEDTOPIA
08-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I've defended classic WDW attractions many times because some people just don't get it.

First of all , Intercot is firmly established as a site where WDW fanatics from all over the world come to share their passion for their favorite place on Earth. To be sure ,there are opinions , both positive and negative , but for the most part the comments are kept subtle and usually reflect a persons preferences , but not outright hatred.

Most of us don't have any problem with discussions on favorites and least favorites. But when comments are made that are offensive and downright rude and crude , I think we have every right to knock it it down and convey the message that certain phrases and terms have no place in an environment such as this. I believe that the original poster has used one of these terms and the resulting onslaught proves my point. As Marker mentioned , certain words may imply that anyone who enjoys a particular attraction that is being condemned ,is " stupid " as well.

I fervently hope that anyone wishing to post comments would think them out before posting , and understand the magnitude of fervor that some words create .

And by the way , CoP is a classic attraction and in my opinion , should be re-furbished as needed ,but never taken away.

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
We rode COP on Saturday. As we were exiting we (and many others) were stopped by CM's who wanted to know if we liked the ride, the CM's, why did we like the ride. Everyone around me gave it the highest marks and talked about the linkage to Walt. Hopefully this is a good sign!

note - we noticed some additives on Saturday - Valentine's Day gift on the table in the one scenario, boy on the dog in the last scene.

Wolfbanesquest
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
If CoP was ever removed, I think there would be a revolt at WDW, of which, I would be the leader!:thedolls: It is a Walt Disney original and still very enjoyable to me and mine. Yes, the final scene needs to updated, but that ride is the epitomy of what WDW is all about.:mickey:

The Bookseller
08-16-2007, 01:05 AM
There's many rides out there that are original (I.E. without Animation theming). Places like the Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, Pirate of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, the Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress are all embedded in WDW-MK's DNA. Getting rid of them is like denaturing the place.

There's so much pixie dust in these walls, they don't deserve to be teared down.

PirateLover
08-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Put me in the "love it" category as well! I would be devastated if it were removed, though I wouldn't care if they changed the last scene. The other scenes represent technologies that became household staples, whereas the last scene represented where people thought technology might be heading in the 90s (i'm not sure when that scene was last modified). Something is just off about it. Although the voice-recognition oven does provide for some hilarity :cool:
Other than that I love this attraction.

texasteacher
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM

I second that!

Clotho
08-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I am in the "BOOOORING" category.

AND

I am in the "don't take it away" category.

I think it needs updating in a big way. I agree that a voice activated stove doesn't exist...but the IDEA of it is outdated. The idea of voice-activated things isn't so "futuristic" any more. I mean, seriously...the iPhone isn't known for it's voice-activation, and even as a current innovation, it is far more futuristic than a stove you can tell to cook at 435 for 10 minutes! With all the amazing Imagineers on staff, you would think that they could update it to be more innovative.

I also think that the last jump to the final scene is getting too big. If you can't add an additional scene (I know they can't), they need to do a MAJOR update, where the time between the scenes is longer, so it isn't a jump-jump-MEGA LEAP!! Literally it is 20 years-20-years-60 years (and this leap is alreayd outdated)

Hubby and I just talked about it, and we think it has to be impossibly sci-fi for the future scene to last more than a decade. Maybe even 5 years, at the rate things move...

So ultimately, this is an attraction that is dying a slow death. It can't continue on this theme successfully for the forseeable future. Every year that passes, the final scene becomes either increasingly outdated, or if updated, will reveal and increasingly larger gap compared to the previous scenes by comparison. And this will become increasingly jarring, interrupting the "story" of the show irrevocably.

So get rid of it now? No. Get rid of it in the next decade plus? Yes. This is a ride that cannot stand the test of time, I am afraid.

Hubby just mentioned the idea of it being a "history" or "nostalgia" ride. Basically drop anything having to do with the present or future, and end, for instance, in the 60's. Then you don't have to keep trying to chase a decade ahead or more. I posit that kids would NOT be interested in this. (I already think that Hall or Presidents bores most kids; and though I am sure I will get a smattering of people who have kids who LOVE it, but I bet if you polled a majority of kids, it is not even in their top 100 things to see at Disney...) Maybe a one-trip kind of experience, but not the classic we may believe it to be today. Sad, but I believe it to be true...

Thoughts?