PDA

View Full Version : grand canyon

jax86
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
i would like to plan a grand canyon trip for next summer. i have 2 teenagers and we have never been and i am clueless. does anyone have any ideas of websites or where i can get a good trip package? do we rent a car? is it better to stay at a hotel inside the grand canyon? we will be flying from N.J. any suggestions would be appreciated.

wilcat
07-31-2007, 04:34 PM
You will have to fly into either Las Vegas or Phoenix and rent a car. I'm not sure of the distance from Vegas but it is about 4 hours from Phoenix. The hotels in the Grand Canyon are very nice and there are lot of hotels just outside the park. If you want to stay in the park remember to make your reservations early as it fills up quickly. Remember it costs about $10 per day per car to enter the park and you will have to drive in because walking is not an option. Just log into the web and search for Grand Canyon. There is a lot of great information out there. Also there is a small town called Sedona that is about half way in between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon that deserves a look. The many red rock formations will just take your breath away and is just a pre-curser to the canyon. Have fun planning your trip. I have been there 3 times already and am going back next year.

Cathy

Tick-Tock
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Check out the National Park Service's website for Grand Canyon. You should be able to get lots of trip-planning info there, including how to get there, lodging options, etc.

luvdiznee
07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
I just PM'd you a bunch of sites. Have Fun!

Cinderelley
07-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Are you coming early in the summer or mid- to late-summer? How well do you handle the heat? Do you have plans to do anything else besides the Grand Canyon? I would consider all of these before you decide on where to fly into. If you're really adventurous, you can try to sign up to ride the donkeys down into the Canyon.

jax86
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
thanks for the info! the websites were helpful.:thumbsup:

CPT Trips
08-03-2007, 03:09 AM
Definately stay "on property" as it is easy to wander over to the rim when the mood strikes at any time, day or night.
Las Vegas or Phoenix are the two options and you almost certainly want to rent a car. It is really a matter of cost and scheduling convenience. That said, when comparing cost, be sure to factor in rental car costs. The last time we did this trip there was a considerable difference in car costs and only a small one on the air costs.

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2007, 03:53 PM
You have a lot of choices, depending on your family's preferences. One one hand, you could fly into Las Vegas. That would enable you to see the Hoover Dam on your way to the Grand Canyon. From Las Vegas it's about 4.5--5 hours to either the South or North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The South Rim has more facilities (hotels, lodges, restaurants), but will be more crowded during the summer. The North Rim is about 1800 feet higher and much quieter. However, there is only one "official" lodging choice over there, which is the North Rim Lodge (you don't stay in the lodge itself, but in cabins along the rim). Our cabin there was very rustic (no TV, of course!), but when you walked out the door, it was a mere 15 feet to edge of the rim. What a sight to wake up to each morning! We combined a stay at the Grand Canyon with a few days up in Zion National Park in Utah, which is absolutely stunning. If you like to hike, you can traverse up the Virgin River Narrows there, with canyon walls rising up over your head. Make it your last hike though, as your shoes will be soaked for a couple of days!

We've never flown into Phoenix, but if you want to go that route, I highly recommend the Sedona area as side-trip for a few days. The natural beauty of the area is breathtaking and Sedona itself has many lodging and restaurant choices. We had a memorable day at Slide Rock State Park, which has a creek running down through natural stone chutes that people like to slide down. Very fun!

The Grand Canyon will fill you and your family with awe, I guarantee it! Lots of great hiking. We never did the mule trip to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon, but it looked like a lot of fun to me. :thumbsup: