PDA

View Full Version : Birthday dinner for sweet sixteen

kaylamag
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
I need an idea of where to take my niece for her birthday dinner while we are at Disney World. I had originally planned on 50's Primetime Cafe; however, i just read it would be closed for refurb on the day of her birthday (Jan. 29). My backup was Chef Mickey's, but i'm afraid it may be too childish. Any ideas?

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 11:33 AM
16 is one of those akward ages. I think the character dining is great and we are two adults but 16 year olds have an image. Anything that would be kiddie like will be too childish, lol. How about one of the dinner shows? I am going for the first time to the Spirit of Aloha and I have heard rave reviews about the Hoop De Doo Review. Another fun restaurant to check out is the Wilderness Canyon Cafe. It's been told to me it's along the lines of the 50's Diner.

Jared
07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort is a perfect restaurant for a birthday party. The food is absolutely delicious, and the atmosphere is fun without seeming childish or silly.

Children participate in coconut races and hula-hoop contests, but the festivities are not distracting to other diners. Tables near the windows have a perfect view of Wishes.

Dinner is a family style feast, starting with an array of delicious appetizers. A green salad with honey-lime dressing and fried wonton chips with a trio of dipping sauces--peanut, harissa, chimichurri--comes first.

Next is a plate of sweet and sour shrimp and incredible honey-coriander chicken wings.

The main course is skewers of grilled meats including turkey, steak, sausage and park served with scalloped potatoes and stir-fried vegetables. Servers visit tables offering more meat whenever a plate looks empty.

For dessert is a yummy bread pudding a la mode with Banana's Foster sauce.

Go hungry, and I think your daughter will have a great birthday.

Donald
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
My niece celebrated her 16th birthday at WDW last year. It started at the guest check in with a surprise delivery from the Disney Florist (a tote bag filled with goodies) from her loving aunt! The CM also gave her a birthday card.:mickey:

She had lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. The menu is definately not child like. She loved it. My sister ordered her a birthday cake, but they forgot about (or misplaced) the order. Instead, the CM brought out a package for my niece. It was 2 crystal wine glasses with Cinderella's slipper engraved on it.:princess::wine: Nice substitution!!

Needless to say, it was a wonderful birthday. I hope your niece has a wonderful birthday also!

robnadina
07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Birthdays at WDW are the best! I spent my 30th there this year and had a blast. Tip: have the check-in desk get you a BDay Pin on the day you arrive. I wore it all week and not only did every CM wish me a Happy Birthday, but I got a free dessert every day.
If you are looking for a family experience Ohana's is great. Food is fabulous and entertainment is top notch.
If you want a more grown up feel, woud suggest California Grill (it is pricey). We had my B-Day dinner here and the view of Wishes is second to none.
I can say, no matter where you eat, Disney CM go out of their way to make birthday's special.
Good Luck!

IloveDisney71
07-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I have two teenage daughters (17 & 18) and they absolutely love Ohana's at the Poly. In fact it is their favorite restaurant at Disney. Ohana's offers great food and it's a fun family atmosphere!