PDA

View Full Version : Calling all teachers,

princessjojo
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
which would you prefer?

I should preface by saying that we live in a very poor school district in NC, so not only do the teacher often get shorted with regards to supplies, but many of the students often don't even begin school prepared.

Knowing this, each year while buying supplies for both boys, I also buy things for the classrooms, but with both of them having 2 or more teachers, it gets very expensive :spend:. After our own supplies, here is my shopping list for the teachers:

white board markers & cleaner
100 ct pencils
50 ea 1 subject spiral notebooks or composition notebooks
100 pencil erasers
paper towels
tissues
2-3 disinfectant wipes
large bottle hand sanitizer
10 pk color pencils
25 glue sticks
10 pks crayons
5 pks markers
1-2 cases copy paper
10 pks notebook paper
1pk 20ct ink pens

That's about it, but it gets very expensive when you do this twice. Last year they both had 2 teachers and I only did this for their primary/home room teacher. This year, Colbey will have 4 teachers and Gray will have 3. Gray is also in middle school. At what point do I draw the line?

A couple years ago, Colbey's teacher, who was somewhat appreciative of the gift, asked me again after Christmas, if I would buy many of these things again! I purchased some, but not all.

Have I set the bar so that each year, they expect me to do this, without even asking? I have thought of not doing this for Gray's middle school teachers this year, but can't justify other than the students are older, are suppose to be more responsible, and the schools have more resources. But I can't afford to do this for all 4 of Colbey's teachers this year.

As teachers, what are your suggestions:cart:before I head out for the store. Should I resort to smaller giftcards to the teacher stores?

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I think if I was one of your children's teachers I would be so happy. They will appreciate anything you give them. I often find the deals at Staples at this time of year and stock up. I also think a smaller gift card would be great too.

My only other suggestion is to try area churches which sometimes do school supplies drives and/ or try to lookup freecycle on yahoo groups. If there is one in your are, I often ask about school supplies and things for my classroom on there and many people donate to me when they hear that I teach in an urban setting. You would be suprised. The only thing is that you would have to go to people's houses to pick up their donations.

Also, try Kiwanis or Rotary or other clubs like this as they like to help too.

Good luck and remember you are making a difference in the lives of many children!
Jen

Jeff
07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I have no advice; just wanted to say
"Good for you Amy"!

richardsa98
07-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I for one am a teacher and think your generousity is overwhelming.... i think your idea of gift cards is a great idea! As the students get older supplies become less generic that are needed. For example, Perhaps the teacher would like to do a poster project but most of the kids can't afford the poster board; She could use the gift card to buy it in bulk!!! I personally think you are Awesome:number1:

Donald
07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
You are a very generous person.

Have you looked at Target? I know they have some great sales right now ($ .20 for crayola crayons, $1 for a 5 pk. of glue sticks). Staples also has some great sales right now. No reason you can't save a little money while your being so generous!;)

ftwildernesskid
07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Wow, what a great thing you're doing! The lists sound great, but the gift card is a great idea too! Spreading the wealth when the kids move into middle school is a big challenge. But you can only do what you can do. Maybe a smaller gift card for each? With such a generous gift, I'm sure the teachers will be very appreciative of whatever you decide.

princessjojo
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
I usually spend more than I would like to get these things, but the manager at our local Wal-Mart & Staples usually gives me somewhat of a discount & I do take the tax write off each year, so I do get something in return. I'm thinking the gift card to the local teacher store would be best. I don't think my son's teachers this year would do it, but I have known some to spend the funds on themselves rather than what they were intended for.

I also feel that if I help them out, they will help me out when one of them needs extra help in school. I guess I do it for two reasons, I want to level the playing ground as much as I can for the classroom, but I want to let their teachers know that I do appreciate what they do for the kids. Not everyone was cut out to teach and I admire those who do it year after year and always with a smile.

Thank you to all of you teachers out there!!!:thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
07-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I am a teacher and I think what you have been doing is amazing! I always hit the local stores (Wal-mart, Staples, etc...) and pick up crayons, glue, folders, etc. when they are on SALE for my students. I always have students who can't afford school supplies.
I think you might want to talk with your school's guidance counselor (at the middle school) because they would know of students in need.
As a teacher, I am always VERY GRATEFUL for parents like you and I'm sure whatever you decide to do, will be appreciated. :thumbsup:

ibrowse17
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
As a teacher that has seen so many students that have very little to nothing, I think this thing you do is wonderful. I wish more would share a few bucks or some small amount of time at their child's school. Gift cards are a great idea in case there are any special items that may have been overlooked. Thank you:thumbsup:

disneydeb
07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
My school has around 90% free and reduced luch population. Churches around town are good to supply school supplies for kids that can't. Our local board designates monies to spend to supply classroom needs (or much of it). When I get extra things for my class, I just use my own money and have never thought about asking a parent to donate extra items. I think it is nice of you to do so, but don't feel obligated. That responsibility should fall to the state or local school district to fund for their students.