PDA

View Full Version : Memory Cards

Mnchknbrat1982
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm curious as to the number of pictures the digital camera users take on an average on your trip. Trying to figure out if I need to get more memory cards. I've got enough for about 2,400 pictures on the high setting. So please tell me the number you normally take on average.

princessjojo
07-31-2007, 12:01 AM
2400 pics is A LOT! I have a 2g card and have been taking pics with my 8mp camera for just over 13months now. I took so many at WDW last year that I just never deleted them because it would just take so long. I just kept adding to the card. I think now I have just over 800 pics on the card.

My thoughts, if you're going to take anywhere near 2400 pics, you will either be there for a very long time, or will take pics of EVERYTHING all day long. Keep in mind as well, the cost involved in it's convience. At roughly .15cents x 2400pics is $360 having someone else print them for you. You do it, and the cost increases with cost of ink & paper.

jszczur5
07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
2400 pictures is a lot. We were there for 10 days last year plus another 3 days at the beach, and we took less than 400. Plus, it seemed like we were taking pics constantly.

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm curious as to the number of pictures the digital camera users take on an average on your trip. Trying to figure out if I need to get more memory cards. I've got enough for about 2,400 pictures on the high setting. So please tell me the number you normally take on average.

That is ALOT of photos. If you have enough memory for 2,400 pictures, over 6 days you will be taking a picture every 30 seconds (saying the parks are open for 12 hours) or 400 pictures per day. My trip I am bringing a 2GB card with a 512 mb backup. I don't know exactly how many that takes but I highly doubt I'll be taking more than that. Last year I still had a film camera and I averaged a roll and a half each day....that was only 36 pics a day.

The only way you might need more than that is if you plan on using your camera to "video tape" each ride. Beware though, it will eat up your batteries and you will miss out on watching each ride first hand as you will be paying too much attention to the taping of each ride.

BigRedDad
07-31-2007, 06:55 AM
You will not take 2400 pictures unless you are taking movies with your digicam. Even if you do not erase the "bad" pictures, you will not take that many. If you do, then you should be using a very high end DSLR. In that case, you can get another 8GB card for around $100 and never have to worry about picture capacity. The only thing you would have to worry about is your kids abandoning you. 11 hours of pictures, 1 hour of enjoyment at the parks per day. Not a good idea for any vacation in my book.

BritCody
07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I don't think you will take 2,400 photos, but.... you never know.

Last year myself and my two picture happy teens took slightly over 1,200 photos on our 10 day trip. Now we deleted some of the bad ones on the spot or each morning before we set out on our day. I don't have an exact total on how many photos we printed out ,but I do know we filled two of the big albums bought at Downtown Disney and the kids also had a bunch more printed for 3 scrapbooks they made

DDuck66
07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
My DW is the camera operator in our family and for a week long stay at Disney she usually will take about 500 pictures. That does not include the 100 or more that she deletes because they do not turn out. Next year we will both have digitals so we might get about 1000 pics at the most....

crazeedizneefinatic
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Last trip we took roughly 400 photos that we printed. This year we upgraded our camera to a 7.2 mexpixal witha 4gb card. On the 4X6 setting we can take over 4,000! Probably will never be done, I laughed when I saw that number. I wondered how many days it would take to download all of those! Our camera also has a camcorder built in. It will record as long as the memory in the camera. We purchased an additional 4gb card just for movies. I would say we are set for our 10 day vacation.

Lizzie
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
We took over 3,000 pictures on our last trip. But that was 11 days and 6 people's cameras. And a couple of those people were avid picture takers. So I think you will be okay.

berri_boo
07-31-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm a photo nut...I always have my digital camera on me. When my DH & I went last year for our honeymoon between the 2 of us we took almost 2,500 pictures....I took a little over 2/3rds of them - and this is after the pictures we deleted (so the true number is probably 2,700). It was also my first time there so it was an even bigger deal! We were also there for 15 days so that helped. We brought all sorts of memory cards....'cause you never know! This year I'll probably bring a 4 GB card plus a couple 1 GB just in case.

Just a side note: Utilize Photopass while you are there as well....in the time that we were there we had 214 Photopass pictures...it's well worth the extra money to purchase the cd from Photopass as long as you have enough pictures on it!

IloveDisney71
07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I am an avid picture taker - my kids get to the point that they say "NO more pictures and run away"! LOL Last year we spent 7 days at Disney and I took just over 400 pictures. I think you will be fine with 2400 unless you plan on taking pictures of every single thing you see. :thumbsup:

JPL
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
2400 pictures is alot of pictures :jaw: I'm usually in 400-500 picture range for trips. But that's the great thing about digital you never have to print them :thumbsup: I find that I will print the best of the best from any given trip and just the rest to CD or DVD to look at when I need a Disney fix :mickey:

Disney Doll
07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
2400 is a ton of pictures! You don't want to spend your entire vacation behind the camera. I love to take pictures, but I never take more than 300 for a week long trip to Disney. Plus, with a digital camera you can immediately delete the ones that don't turn out. I think you've got more than enough memory. :twocents:

Goes4FastPass
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
My wife's record is 3,400 pictures for a single WDW vacation.

Memory cards are super cheap now, as someone said earlier, you can get 8gb currently for about $100.

however

Only 'newer' camera work with high capacity cards.

We certainy didn't print 3,400 pictures - when we we do print several hundred 4x6s we send them to to where we can upload them electronically and get them in an hour - at 17 cents a piece.

pook@wdw
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
:mickey: 2400 pics...WOW! :eyes: The print cost would be pretty substantial. But, you definitely wouldn't miss a thing !:thumbsup:

battlefield2freak
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
i took about 256 pics last time in 2006 but that was with a 256 mb so i was a bit restricting myself but i now have a 1 gig which holds 1078 and it also can sometimes involve your camera when you are determining how many it will hold. like my 3.2 MP cannon powershot A510 holds the full 1278 but on my friends 3.2 cannon powershot earlier model it held less than 1278.

Magic Smiles
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I average about 1000 pictures per week. Our last vacation was 20 days and I had amost 3000 pictures. The year before was 2 weeks and I had a little over 2000 pictures. Printed about 1000.

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
My wife's record is 3,400 pictures for a single WDW vacation.

Memory cards are super cheap now, as someone said earlier, you can get 8gb currently for about $100.

however

Only 'newer' camera work with high capacity cards.

We certainy didn't print 3,400 pictures - when we we do print several hundred 4x6s we send them to to where we can upload them electronically and get them in an hour - at 17 cents a piece.

Just a little side note. Anybody who has a ShopRite near them, they offer really cheap prints. If you go on their website, you can get 4x6 prints that get delivered to the store within 2 days. When ordering large amounts, it really adds up.

Spaceship Tigger
07-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I guess what I want to know is what people are taking pictures of to have that sheer number of them? We usually take around 200-250 for an 8 day trip and I always feel that we have a good amount. We print most of them and always fill one good album that we buy in the parks.

tinksmom02
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I took about 325 pics during our 8 day vacation, and had to pare it down to 300 to fit into the photo album I bought. Mom took just about 200 (many, but not all, were identical pics).

I must say that I stressed before we left because we only had one memory card (I think it's a 2gb), and what was I going to do if I ran out of memory? LOL I don't think the card got filled halfway during the whole trip.

Cinderelley
07-31-2007, 10:08 PM
We've taken over 2000 pictures on each trip. We don't print them all - just the ones I want to use for a scrapbook and then put the rest on CD and make a movie out of them.

disneyboy98
08-01-2007, 01:11 AM
If you have read my trip reports and have linked to my online photo album from there, you know that I take pictures of EVERYTHING!

Before going down at the beginning of July I purchased a 1GB card for my Kodak Easyshare V610. With the camera and that card it gave me 540 pics and 27 minutes of video.

I constantly felt that I was taking pictures all day long (I don't think my camera ever made it back in the case) but I never filled up the memory card.

At the end of the day I put the pictures on the laptop we brought, and backed them up to the Internet just to be on the safe side. I would then delete the card for the next day (or continue on if I had more than enough space) so I knew I wasn't going to run out of space.

I would say if you are going to be a die hard pictures taker, I would get a 2GB card. Otherwise, just stick with a 1GB. Remember, everytime you go up in a memory card it will cost you.

Have an awesome trip!:thumbsup: