PDA

View Full Version : Is Tony's that bad?

Harkleroad
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
My question is does anyone like Tony's? When given a choice between Tony's and any other TS it seems like most posters vote against Tony's. We are already going to Crystal Palace the night of MVMCP in Dec. and had plans for Tony's on an extra magic night. Should we rethink this? If so any suggestions?

mook3y
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Well....

I have seen a few people who like Tony's.

For us, we have only ate there once. The food was not very good and the service was poor. So it will be quite a while before we would consider trying it again. Especially since there are so many places we have not tried yet.

For us, the ONLY meal we are eating inside of the MK for TS this year in 12 nights is Liberty Tree Tavern. And that my friend, would be where I recommend you eat!!!! :D

Suz36
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
We had a very good experience at Tony's last year. The food was good, and the service was excellent. My picky DD didn't like the sauce on her Mickey ravioli, our waiter saw she was unhappy and asked what was wrong, and then brought her a whole new bowl of plain ravioli. It's little things like this that make WDW so magical!! It was also great to sit in the restaurant and watch the action out in the square - our table was in the atrium area.

Disdude
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
We ate there last year and it was the only time I actually complained about the cost of a Disney restaurant. I know that the restaurants are expensive but I usually feel the value is good. Our opinion was that Tony's was way overpriced for mediocre Italian food. It is unlikely that we will return any time soon.

MommyDisneyFanatic
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I agree with DISDUDE

Lucyrella
07-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Well we are going there on August 31st, and if you aren't going until Decemberish, I will post about it. I have heard the negative's too, but my girls love spaghetti, whether it is Chef Boy Ardee or Fazoli's or whatever, so we will get the critics, Lucyrella and Lei Lei belle to decide.... I am curious about this too, but we wanted to eat somewhere in the park before the P&P party, and this was an easy selection.

wendy*darling
07-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I have eaten at Tony's about a half a dozen times over the years- and enjoyed every experience. :thumbsup:

I think it's a decent Italian restaurant. We have an awful lot of those at home, so it's not too unique for us.
I think when people are at WDW, they tend to like the experiences they can't find in the "real world" and so they'll choose someplace else instead of Tony's.

But I have never had bad food, or bad service at Tony's. I never order "spaghetti" in an Italian restaurant (I can make that at home for $1.50), but some of their seafood dishes (of all things) are among the best meals we have had at WDW.

JPL
07-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I never enjoyed Tony's or Mama Malrose but when it comes to Italian food I am spoiled. I think it's all a matter of taste and what you expect from your meal. Now for me the local Pizzeria on the corner has much better food than both places. Now I am not a fan of Olive Garden either and that's about what would compare the WDW Italian food too maybe not quite as good.

mook3y
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I never enjoyed Tony's or Mama Malrose but when it comes to Italian food I am spoiled. I think it's all a matter of taste and what you expect from your meal. Now for me the local Pizzeria on the corner has much better food than both places. Now I am not a fan of Olive Garden either and that's about what would compare the WDW Italian food too maybe not quite as good.

That is probably most of our problem with Tony's. I grew up eating at a couple of local eataries where the owners came over from Italy when they were little and their parents started the place. Tony's doesnt come close to the food quality. Then..... our first experience we had a really bad waitress which did not help.

As far as Olive Garden... they make a decent salad. :D

pixiesmimi
07-30-2007, 11:54 PM
We ate at Tony's midafternoon in June when we were there. Whether you would consider this dinner or lunch, I don't know. Anyway, we all thought the food was pretty good. It was very expensive, I thought, for what you got. That was my only complaint. The waiter was so attentive that he was almost too attentive. It was like he was trying very hard for a good tip. I commented that they must be slow that day, since we just walked right in and got a table with no wait, and he wasn't making much in tips. But I could have been wrong. He may have just been that good. He kept bringing me new glasses of coke without my asking even when I really didn't need them, not refills. I had the appetizer, calamari, as my main dish and it was very good. I am like the others, I usually don't choose Italian because we can get this at home anytime, but that happened to be where we were at the time and no crowds, so we chose to eat there. If you are on the dining plan or choose to pay for a more expensive meal, I think you will enjoy it.

Harkleroad
07-31-2007, 12:30 AM
I think that unless the rest of my party wants to change then I will stick with Tony's. I was glad to hear at least a few positive responses. I live on the MS Gulf Coast and even though it has been two years since Katrina good restaurants are still few and far between. The closest Olive Garden is almost an hour away so we really don't have alot of Italian choices. We are not terribly picky and are on the dining plan so I'm not too worried about expense. Thanks again for all of you responses.

conorsmom2000
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
We ate at Tony's on the night of the Halloween Party - so, it was extremely crowded! The food wasn't spectacular, but it was fine, and we loved the atmosphere, which is really why we wanted to try it. :mickey:

Marker
07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
"Is Tonys that bad?"... my, such a negative expectation.

I've only eaten at Tony's once, but it was a wonderful experience. The food was good, and our waitress was exceptional.

The only reason we haven't gone back is, there are still places we haven't tried, and we typically like to try places we haven't already been too. I have no doubt that at some point we will go back.

My opinion would be to go ahead and give it a try, WITH AN OPEN MIND. Don't let the negativity of others sway you from making your own decision. There are enough positive comments out there to make it worth a try.

Wrigley
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
We really like Tony's. We all enjoyed our food and the atmosphere is very nice. We would definately go back-maybe on our next trip!!!!:mickey:

dog-ears
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
We've only been there once and that was for breakfast - but it was good and I don't recall any problems with the service.

IC10
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
I would never say Tony's was bad it is that there were restaurants that were just so much better. To us we ate there and it was good but not sure when we will go back.

prprincess
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
We don't like it. Then again, we live in South Jersey and are spoiled by the plethora of Italian restaurants in the area. So those who like the taste of bottled spaghetti sauces would probably like it. We're just used to the homestyle "gravy" types.

wendy*darling
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
those who like the taste of bottled spaghetti sauces would probably like it

One of the tricks to eating at any Italian restaurant when you are spoiled by good sauce (I am Italian and make my own sauce the same way my grandmother always did) is to not order items with red sauce on them. No one will ever make it like your mom or grandma! :secret:

Tony's has some excellent dishes- their pesto sauce is quite good, as is their grilled salmon, chicken florentine, etc. Just order outside that "spaghetti and meatballs" mentality. No one will ever measure up. :mickey:

SignguyTom
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
We were there in May '06 and really liked it. My only complaint was that it took 40 minutes to get our dessert. Gellato. Ice cream. That was very frustrating, especially since it was early evening and the first full day of our trip and we were ready to get back out there!

dbmarie
07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
We had reservations and we still waited for over an hour for our table. The service and food just went downhill from there. After dinner we waited forever to order our desert and then even longer to get our check. It was almost a 3 hour meal.

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
We ate there 2 years ago for breakfast as part of a grand gatherings and had a great experience. Food was good, atmosphere was great. Really no complaints.

KevGuy
08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
We ate there last April one night at MK. Food was great, service was fine, perhaps a little long but to be expected given how many people they are serving, staff was excellent, and our table was perfect. I think you should go there and have a great time!! Nice porch outside the place as well where we pulled up rocking chairs and watched the lights parade at night, then a two minute walk up Main street for the MK fireworks. I don't think it gets any better than that IMO. Everything at Disney is overpriced and expensive so I'm not sure why some people expect different. I'd say for every person that posts they had a bad time you'll get a thousand to say that they had a fabulous time. Roll with the punches and enjoy yourself because if you don't try it you will never know. Excellent YOMD electric blue martinis too I must say lol. :thumbsup::marg::mickey: