PDA

View Full Version : Is this line cutting?

MS_mom_1965
07-30-2007, 02:24 PM
If your family gets in line for a ride/attraction while you run to get a FP, then join them in line, is that line cutting?

Or just making good use of wait time?

CleveSJM
07-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Line cutting. :thedolls:
No doubt.

Get the FP before getting in line, or the FP person rides the non-FP ride a little after you and meets you at the end.

PeterPanFan
07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
YUP!

This is line cutting!

Sneaky Pete
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
just once and immediately regretted it and felt slightly embarrassed about it even though we were only about 10 people ahead of the start of the line and no one said a word to me. It wasn't a big deal at all really but it felt wrong and I wouldn't do it again.

Jared
07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
YUP!

This is line cutting!
I entirely agree. Everybody should enter the line together. Joining a group in a queue under most circumstances constitutes cutting.

Seasonscraps
07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
It's line cutting.

mook3y
07-30-2007, 03:28 PM
How about getting out of line because your toddler has to use the bathroom and coming back and re-joining your party that is still in line?

vicster
07-30-2007, 03:36 PM
How about getting out of line because your toddler has to use the bathroom and coming back and re-joining your party that is still in line?

Taking a toddler to use the bathroom is certainly understandable and I would certainly hope people would understand that. Not having young children anymore I certainly do remember the days...

RBrooksC
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Well, while I abhor line cutting and I have prevented people from cutting in front of me many times. (I do get great joy from that especially when it is a bunch of disrespectful teens), this situation would be totally understandable since most toddlers learning to use the potty do not understand the timing of using the potty. However, I would be descrete and maybe even let people know what you are doing so as to not annoy those around you.

Remember there will always be those who don't understand it under any circumstance so be ready for that situation.

mttafire
07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I wouldnt like it if a family member decided to "join" the others in line. It would be different if mom had to take a child to the bathroom while i wait in line...I would be ok with that.

SBETigg
07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Things happen and I understand that. If a toddler decides mid-line that she(he) has to go, I am completely understanding if one parent holds the place and the other parent takes the child to the bathroom. However, my entire party would instead either split up at that point or all leave the line. In general, I don't think it's a considerate practice for one parent to get in line while the other parent takes kids to potty or eat or get Fastpasses planning to meet up in line all the while. Barring emergencies. I think that's cutting.

Jared
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
We debated a similar topic in this thread (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=83127&highlight=bathroom+line) about one year ago.

LudwigVonDrake
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
The first case is definite line cutting. The kid having to go the bathroom, I'll be honest that it would depend on the situation: length of line, heat of the day, time of day. It probably wouldn't be but what are you going to do? Explain to everyone you pass on the way out that you'll be right back?? Most people would take it as line cutting.

Wrigley
07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
For the first case, going to get a FP, then yes it is definately line cutting. I would get annoyed and upset if someone jumped in line ahead of me just because they went and got a FP. That is ridiculous. However, for the second case, taking a child to the bathroom, I don't think that is line cutting at all. That situation is totally understandable. Besides, in the very busy seasons those lines can be very long and so it can be extremely hard for a young child to "hold it" that long. I would totally understand and allow a parent to come back into line after taking their child to the restroom.:mickey:

caryrae
07-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I thinks it's OK if you have a kid or even adult in your group for that matter who need to use the bathroom to leave the line and come back. We had that happen to us a couple years ago. My niece had to go so her mom took her and a Disney CM helped them get back in line with us when they came back.

Clotho
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Line cutting to me = deliberately planning to come into a line later, or intending to join, leave and then rejoin a line as a plan to get errands or other things done during the course of a regular wait time.

It is NOT line cutting to me if you did not plan on it. So in the instance of a child needing to go, a child wetting themselves or soiling themselves and needing a quick clean-up, having to run to the restroom yourself when a line was much longer than posted, etc...all reasonable. It is the deliberate intention of cutting down on your own wait time that I consider line cutting.

Jasper
07-30-2007, 05:07 PM
In my opinion the only thing that is NOT cutting in line is taking a toddler to the restroom. However, this only applies if you all actually get in line and then have to leave to take the toddler to the restroom. Deciding to split up before you get in line is cutting in my opinion. Ok, I know this is splitting hairs, but that is just the way my brain works.

By the way, there will always be people in line who will not understand you catching up with your party regardless of the reason and will give you a hard time.

TinkInTraining
07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow, I must be extremely easy going...the question posed by the OP wouldn't bother me at all.

The only time I don't like line cutting is when a GROUP of people try to move ahead to meet someONE or two who are holding a place for MANY.

If it's one person or a parent and child I don't have a problem. What's one or two more people in a line.

I wouldn't limit my tolerance to a parent and a toddler...if it's a parent and a child, no problem...go ahead. Stuff happens and who am I to know why they had to get out of line...not my place to judge. They want to get up to where their family is...no biggie...I'm good with that. Just be polite when trying to get through people. That's all I ask.

To be honest, you wait in so many lines at WDW what is one (or three) more minutes for the next cart if those one or two people joining their group put you in the next cart...actually, I'm a family of 5 so one or two seats left and I'd have to wait anyway...

We'll all get on the ride...and it won't be any different from one go 'round to another!

Don't worry...be happy...you’re at Disney.

grumpycajun
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I guess I'll be the first dissenting opinion. If a family gets in line together and one person has to leave for whatever reason and then returns to their place in line, or catches up with the rest of their family, I don't have a problem with it. Now, a whole bunch of people wouldn't be appropriate. Nor would doing it more than once. But think about it. What difference does it really make if one person from a group or family leaves and comes back or catches up with everyone else? Are they really stopping anyone else from getting on the attraction any quicker? How do you know that the person didn't have to leave for a perfectly legitimate reason? Perhaps it was for a personal reason that had nothing to do with a child. It's funny, but having said all this, we don't send someone off to get fast-passes by themselves. We stay together and get in line together. But, I don't get bent out of shape if someone else does it.

PeterPan
07-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Relax! Be happy! You are at Disney World! I have absolutly NO PROBLEM whatsoever with ONE person trying to catch up with their family or group. For whatever reason. There is so much joy in riding together. I see no reason to deny a SINGLE person from trying not to be separated from their group. So many times, we have put people up in line for his very reason. They are 10, 12, even 25 people behind their group. If we find out, we actively try to get them back with their group. Done this hundreds of times.

Have YOU ever gotten behind your group? Didn't you wish SOMEBODY would be kind and patient enough to put you ahead so you could ride with your family/group? I certainly have.

I don't care if they went for a FassPass or to the bathroom, or simply got lost in the crowd and could not catch up. I want them to be with their group.

What's one person in a line going to add to your wait time? Nothing.

Now, this begs the remark: "What if every group in line had a person trying to catch up with them?" Honestly, how often is this going to happen? NEVER.

Relax! Have a heart! Let the person catch up! I mean, why ruin your vacation by taking on the task of monitoring every line you are in watching for line-hoppers. Life is too short. Get on with it! Relax! Have fun! LET THE PERSON CATCH UP WITH THEIR GROUP!

Someday, it will probably be YOU trying to catch up. Think how miserable you would be riding Haunted Mansion alone because no one would let you catch up with your family.

Catwillow
07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I look at it this way. I am not going to let 1 or a few people cutting in front of me ruin my moment or day. You are in line, you are going to get on the ride (unless it breaks down) and what goes around comes around eventually. At one time or another everyone is going to have some extenuating circumstance that requires someone to step out of line OR join up in the line. It's just not a big deal to me and the more I try to impress that upon the young children I have with me the more THEY too learn this lesson. They learn by watching.

snifflesmcg
07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
That's line cutting. Rule of thumb, if you think it may be wrong, then it probably is.

TIGGERSDOBOUNCE
07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
:mickey: I was a reader of the boards long before I was a writer...I realize everyone has a right to their opinion but, opinions can sometimes paint an ugly portrait...and the image I have in my mind of all of you who think there is any such thing as line cutting because you are catching up with your family or think that anyone else should have to explain themselves to complete strangers, is that of the driver who intentionally speeds up when the car next to them turns on their turn signal...God forbid anyone get somewhere before you do...what ever happen to live and let live...do one to others as you wish they would do for you...and let us not forget as you throw out your opinions so randomly..."if anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone..."

FUN FUN :tigger: FUN

merlinmagic4
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Honestly, neither situation would bother me. We all use the bathroom before we get in line but I have no problem with people leaving.

How about this situation, though: My DH gets in line with my DS. A few minutes later, my DD decides she' s not scared and want to ride with them. Do I let her catch up to them? It's never happened but it did just pop into my head :blush:

Clotho
07-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Honestly, neither situation would bother me. We all use the bathroom before we get in line but I have no problem with people leaving.

How about this situation, though: My DH gets in line with my DS. A few minutes later, my DD decides she' s not scared and want to ride with them. Do I let her catch up to them? It's never happened but it did just pop into my head :blush:

From my perspective, no. Again, it was not a planned intent to save anyone a wait over anyone else. No one was taking advantage of anyone else. I'd say okay.

squishy445
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
It is not cutting. It is deffinetly making good use of your time. We all know that we do it and would do it we had the chance. Now if you go wait in line and then have 10 people meet in line and go in front of all those people then that it wrong, but one more person in line isn't going to effect anyone's trip, or going to make their wait that much longer.

mainemajor
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Bathroom breaks for children is OK. Any thing else is not.

texasteacher
07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Line cutting.

jszczur5
07-30-2007, 11:57 PM

Emergency potty breaks (for all ages) is the only acceptable excuse to step back in to line. Even with that being said, you should still try to hit the 'loo on the way.

mook3y
07-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Emergency potty breaks (for all ages) is the only acceptable excuse to step back in to line. Even with that being said, you should still try to hit the 'loo on the way.

But of course! But when you have a DD just turned 3.... no longer in pull-ups... this is likely to be an issue.

I doubt it will be an issue this year for us as we are going at the end of sept, first of oct. So longest lines are like 15 - 20 minutes.

But... being a Disneyland vet... there have been times where multiple rides had 90 minute + waits. (not even going there on opening weekends... in which case, everyone might take a potty break :blush:)

princessjojo
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
My question is how long does it actually take you to get the desired FP? From my experience, not that long, not so long that I would send my family to "hold a place in line for me." We would just go get the FP, then get in line together, a delay in ride time by maybe 5 minutes at most....I think I can spare 5 minutes at WDW.

BigRedDad
07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Getting FP's is not an excuse to "cut" in line. You are getting a FP so you don't have to wait in line later. Therefore, you should take your turn waiting in line.

Our society has become such an impatient and disrespectful society. People dare others to think their time is more valuable than their own. If it is a matter of getting back up with your group, then your group can let everyone in line pass them until they finally drop back to you.

Children's potty breaks are about the only reason I can think of to allow this. Adults should know well enough by now when they should and should not go.

*You meaning the person trying to move ahead in the line, not directed at any poster*
If you don't think it is considered cutting, why not just push everyone out of the way and go to the front of every line no matter what the situation is? It's obvious that you have no respect for the other people there and you are the most important person/people in the Park.

Seasonscraps
07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
It is not cutting. It is deffinetly making good use of your time.

My problem with this is that it's making the best use of your (general you, not specifically you) time at the expense of someone else's time. Why is it ok to take that time away from someone else?

positive0negative
07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
I have to agree with everyone who said it's not a big deal. I'm usually having so much fun talking to my family or just being in WDW that I wouldn't even notice people joining their group.

Disneytravels
07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I would have to say I understand both sides.

I personally would get the fast pass together- I agree I would rather put our family out 5 min then put someone else out of a ride 5 min by catching up in line- I guess I don't like to upset anyone and this will upset somebody in line because it is line cutting of some sort in sombodys eyes-even my own.

The child going to the bathroom- I agree with going potty before you get in a line- great idea- will do so this Sept when we go. Although I understand if one gets out and gets back in and I don't think that is line cutting because they were in line before me and didn't have intentions of getting out like the fast pass one.
I would not get back in line if it was me- because I wouldn't want to upset anyone.

We have been to Disney many times and if you think about how many people do this and a weeks worth of it starts to get upsetting just because you see it a couple times on each ride and to me its just frusterating to wait my turn in line and have someone come join their party.. then another .. then another. I guess do on to others as you want done onto you is the key here. I wouldn't want it done to me so I don't do it to others.
The hard thing is some might not see anything wrong with it but you need to realize you are not the only one thinking this way and if you add them up you have many cutting in line which basically gives people a bad taste about it. Not everyone is easy going free spirited to let them all slide. It would be nice but not happening.
Just my input....

Marker
07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Imagine for a moment, if you will, a society where common sense, and common courtesy still exist...,.,. discussions such as this probably wouldn't have to occur.

I guess, in my mind, it has to do with numbers as well as timing. I mean, if a family gets in line, and a final family member arrives a few minutes late.... sure, that's line cutting, but I wouldn't really have a problem with it, it could happen to any of us. On the other hand, if the individual arrives and gets in line, to be followed later by multiple members.... then that's a problem.

If you've been waiting in line for 30 or 45 minutes, then it probably inappropriate for anyone to slide all the way up to join, but if you've only been in line for a few minutes, I don't see it as that big of a problem.

If you've been waiting in line, and are suddenly struck by a biological need, I would not have a problem with seeing a member of a group slip out and return to handle whatever the need was, maybe they had to go, maybe they needed water, whatever. I would think it rude of ME not to allow them to return to their previous spot. On the other hand, if they disappear for 30 minutes and return, then no, that's probably not ok.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's pretty much all "line cutting", but give an appropriate situation, it's may not really be a problem, at least not for me.

Basically, if you're trying to take advantage of others, it's not appropriate. If you're trying to improve your situation, at the expense of others, it's not appropriate. Guess it goes back to "Common Courtesy".

Lizzie
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I have no problem with this. We traveled with a group of 16 people last time. And to send one person to get fastpasses and the others to a line was easier than trying to get everyone else there.

But I am mellow on vacation. I have no problem if an adult needs to leave to go to the bathroom and come back. You could also come later with some food or a dole whip and I will probably just think that looks good.

As long as its one person joining their group or a parent with their kid. I just understand how hard it is to get a group there. And while I am on vacation I don't sweat the small stuff.

But I think I am in the minority.

irish1967
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
:twocents: In theory, one person in a group getting fastpasses and then joining the rest of their group would have minute impact on the people behind them. However, this would only be if one group out of every thousand did it.

What if one group in every hundred did it? Or ten, or every group did it. Eventually, it will impact the length of the line and the amount of time people waiting behind the original group will have to wait.

That is the problem...one person doing it isn't a big issue - when every group starts to do it...

We do one of two things when we want to FP a ride.

1) One member of the group gets the FPs and the rest of the group goes on the ride.

2) One member of the group gets the FPs while the rest of the groups waits nearby and the entire group gets in the line together.

Potty breaks - for anyone of any age - not a big deal - technically since you are already in line, you aren't impacting the amount of time people behind you are waiting.

CleveSJM
07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
It's cutting, pure and simple.

Let's keep it real simple. If you go in front of anyone who has waited for the line longer than you, it is wrong and is cutting.

If you are in line, have to leave, explain to the people around you that have been waiting LESS time than you that you have to leave and hope to be right back.

Most will understand and not be upset. Everyone has to try to think about others and not just maximizing their personal enjoyment at the expense of others.

To assume you can just pass by people who have been waiting longer than you is rude and courteous. Go to DL Paris if you want to be rude and bum rush lines... They do it everywhere the line is wider than one person.

caryrae
07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with everyone who said it's not a big deal. I'm usually having so much fun talking to my family or just being in WDW that I wouldn't even notice people joining their group.

Honestly, I am the same as you. I don't remember ever noticing anybody ever catching up to there group ahead of me in the many times I have been to WDW. Like you I am to busy talking with people to notice. Also I guess we mostly go at the slow time and the lines are pretty short for most rides.

I was just wondering too, how often have people had someone "cut in line" in front of them?

I do still think that the Fastpass thing isn't much different then one or more people "cutting the standby line" the only difference is with the FP you can use a different line to cut ahead of people in the standby line.

kimommy63
07-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Yup,
I guess I'm one of the laid back minority here. I really don't see anything wrong with one person joining their group already in line (or an adult with a child). I don't do it myself (too many grumpy people :angry:likely to confront timid me :blush:) but have myself allowed a single person or a mom and toddler combo to slip past me to find their party a few times. I can't recall it ever irritating me. However, I do really take exception to teenagers travelling in 2's or 3's or more trying to 'join their families up ahead'. I am highly skeptical that this 'family' exists and even if it did, why should we let a group skip the patiently waiting in line part of the ride? I think this is very inconsiderate and wouldnt allow my children to do this. :nono:
It does take a lot to get my goat at WDW though, I'm just so gosh darned happy to be in the World :cloud9:

mainemajor
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
My question is how long does it actually take you to get the desired FP? From my experience, not that long, not so long that I would send my family to "hold a place in line for me." We would just go get the FP, then get in line together, a delay in ride time by maybe 5 minutes at most....I think I can spare 5 minutes at WDW.

So well said. Part of the experience for children can be getting their own FP's. It's kind of neat to see the joy of young ones when they get it for themselves.

crazypoohbear
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with everyone being in line while someone else is getting a fast pass somewhere else and joins them in line. Or if everyone else is in line and someone meets up with them. I have had to get out of line to get out of the sun and wait in the shade, then I join up with my group when the get up to the shaded area.
What about the family waiting in a long hot line and the mom or dad gets out of line to buy everyone a mickey ice cream?
I would have an issue is one person is "holding" the line for several people but several people holding the line for one is not a problem.
I have even told people to go ahead and join others when I realize they are a group who have gotten split up.

Polynesian Dweller
07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a bit before posting. Normally I don't think holding a place for 1 member of a family is not cutting. But getting an FP. Yep, I think that is line cutting.

It only takes a few seconds to get an FP. You could easily get it before you get in line. By getting FPs for several other people you are intentionally trying to get ahead of others who stood in line to get the FPs and then went to the attraction ride. That's cutting.

Besides, one person going to the FP lines for all the others is in effect cutting in line (at the FP point) for all the others.

Its a cut one way or the other IMHO.

katzctkpt
07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't see anything wrong with everyone being in line while someone else is getting a fast pass somewhere else and joins them in line. Or if everyone else is in line and someone meets up with them. I have had to get out of line to get out of the sun and wait in the shade, then I join up with my group when the get up to the shaded area.
What about the family waiting in a long hot line and the mom or dad gets out of line to buy everyone a mickey ice cream?
I would have an issue is one person is "holding" the line for several people but several people holding the line for one is not a problem.
I have even told people to go ahead and join others when I realize they are a group who have gotten split up.

I agree with the above. As long as it's not 1 person waiting for a tour group of 30 to jump the line I don't see a problem with 1 person joining their family already in line.

BigRedDad
08-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I think a lot of this post, including my initial response, is answered not being in a line. If I were at WDW, I wouldn't care what others did. I am there to enjoy my vacation. I would not normally notice one person meeting up with a group. I do notice 10 people joining a single person in line.

cicelyalaska
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
To me, the definition of cutting is if you jump ahead in line and you do NOT have anyone to join up with. Someone mentioned Disneyland Paris, and this is what happens all over the place: For whatever cultural reason, lines are considered moot, so everyone just pushes past each other to get to the front. To me, you can't "cut" if you have someone you are joining in line. I'm just as manic about line etiquette as the next person, but usually only those people who are cutting just to cut. If you're joining someone...whatever. I'm in Disney World. I'm happy just to be in a line, period.:mickey:

Sinewiz
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Absolutly it's line cutting. It boggels my mind that there are actually people who don't consider it to be. The argument that seems to be prevelent among those that don't seem to have a problem with it is that if the occasional family member comes running in at the last moment after having the advantage of enjoying themselves on other attraction up till the last moment is no big deal.

Makes one wonder if they would be near as understanding if everyone in front of them did the same thing at the same time?

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
That's why I FP everything....no long lines. I never wait more than 15-20 minutes for a ride, so if the line is reaching the 30 minute mark, we grab FP's. We've never seen anyone meet up with their group in the FP lines.

Now, the very few times I have seen the single family member join their group in a regular line, it has never even so much as made a blip on my radar. Who cares? The argument of "what if everyone did it?" doesn't apply because.....nowhere near everyone does it. It's a rare occurrence (I don't think I've ever seen it more than once a trip), so it really doesn't impact ride load times at all. It's just not that big of a deal.

And, who cares if that one person got to enjoy another attraction while I was standing in line? That has never even crossed my mind. I can't be bothered to worry about how many things other people get done in a day at the park, and feeling jealous because I didn't get to do that one more thing because I stood in line and they didn't. Chances are, they were just getting FP's, or in the bathroom, or some other mundane thing. I'm on MY vacation, and I do whatever I want without worrying who wins the "who did the most rides" award.

I do remember one time seeing a group of about 5 or 6 people trying to meet up with someone up front, but the guests in line made sure they didn't get there. They were forced to stay back. :thumbsup:

Sinewiz
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
That's why I FP everything....no long lines. I never wait more than 15-20 minutes for a ride, so if the line is reaching the 30 minute mark, we grab FP's. We've never seen anyone meet up with their group in the FP lines.

Now, the very few times I have seen the single family member join their group in a regular line, it has never even so much as made a blip on my radar. Who cares? The argument of "what if everyone did it?" doesn't apply because.....nowhere near everyone does it. It's a rare occurrence (I don't think I've ever seen it more than once a trip), so it really doesn't impact ride load times at all. It's just not that big of a deal.

And, who cares if that one person got to enjoy another attraction while I was standing in line? That has never even crossed my mind. I can't be bothered to worry about how many things other people get done in a day at the park, and feeling jealous because I didn't get to do that one more thing because I stood in line and they didn't. Chances are, they were just getting FP's, or in the bathroom, or some other mundane thing. I'm on MY vacation, and I do whatever I want without worrying who wins the "who did the most rides" award.

I do remember one time seeing a group of about 5 or 6 people trying to meet up with someone up front, but the guests in line made sure they didn't get there. They were forced to stay back. :thumbsup:

I will absolutly agree with this. People for the most part seem to do a pretty good job of self monitoring what is simply an isolated incident such as one person who simply had fallen behind and was just catching up, and those that are simply trying to take advantage of a situation.

kurt
08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
line cutting

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Is it line cutting, yea I think so. But what's the rush?? Why run and get a FP then run to meet the rest of your party?? Relax.... enjoy your time in the parks..... FP's I believe are meant so you don't have to rush. Would I personally give you the evil eye, nahhhh:secret:

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm really curious.....really......I'm not trying to cause trouble......just curious......

How many of those who feel it's line cutting (I'm not one of them) also feel it's okay to use an expired Fastpass (I don't)? Because, technically, an expired FP means you are coming back outside your allotted time window, thereby making the wait longer for people in standby who had to wait there while you were enjoying another part of the park, or even those who came back during their proper FP window. Is that really any different?

I know there was a discussion about expired FP's a little while back, and I was surprised at the number of people who intentionally use expired FP's and feel it's perfectly fine to do so, all because a CM is afraid to say no.

Just wondering. :blush:

Seasonscraps
08-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm really curious.....really......I'm not trying to cause trouble......just curious......

How many of those who feel it's line cutting also feel it's okay to use an expired Fastpass? Because, technically, an expired FP means you are coming back outside your allotted time window, thereby making the wait longer for people in standby who had to wait there while you were enjoying another part of the park, or even those who came back during their proper FP window. Is that really any different?

I know there was a discussion about expired FP's a little while back, and I was surprised at the number of people who intentionally use expired FP's and feel it's perfectly fine to do so, all because a CM is afraid to say no.

Just wondering. :blush:

I think the situation the OP describes is line cutting and I don't agree with using an expired fast pass. A FP is supposed to be an "appointment" (for lack of a better term) to go on the ride and I think using them outside the return window completely defeats the purpose of line control which is what FP is supposed to do.

Sinewiz
08-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I think the situation the OP describes is line cutting and I don't agree with using an expired fast pass. A FP is supposed to be an "appointment" (for lack of a better term) to go on the ride and I think using them outside the return window completely defeats the purpose of line control which is what FP is supposed to do.

Couldn't agree more. Chances are those that use expired fast pass tickets are the same ones that would probably see nothing wrong with jumping in front of you in line. I have never even considered using an expired fast pass ticket. I suppose I just assumed it wasn't allowed.

angedeaile
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I am alittle uptight outside of DW when it comes to the topic of.....cutting......I can get down right mean, but for some reason I am a bit laid back at DW.

The way I stand, if it is one person meeting up with a family, regardless of why, I am not bothered by it. What is one person?

Typically, the rides are seated in pairs and one person doesn't effect you as much as say two or four.

If it is more than one adult, I have a problem.

If it is a child and an adult, I always assume there was an important reason...such as a bathroom break. So that doesn't bother me too much.

However, one person or not, it all depends how you cut. If you are rude about it, we might have a problem.

There was this one time this guy on a cell phone shoved my brother out of the way so he could hurry up and beat us to a seat for Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show. I shouted at him but he just kept going! Now that drove me nuts. Not because he was cut infront of us, but because he shoved a child, didn't apologize and behaved like it was his right to be infront.

Overall, I wouldn't "cut" in line, because everyone has a different OP. But if others do it to me...this is my stance.

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Couldn't agree more. Chances are those that use expired fast pass tickets are the same ones that would probably see nothing wrong with jumping in front of you in line. I have never even considered using an expired fast pass ticket. I suppose I just assumed it wasn't allowed.

See, that's the thing...

I don't really see one family member meeting up with their party as cutting in line. I just don't. More than one...that's a different story....

And, I also have never used (or even ever thought of using) an expired FP. I just noticed that a person here responded to the OP saying their example was line cutting, yet they were the same person who said they used expired FP's.

I know it may seem like two totally different things, but I was curious as to who thought one thing was bad, but not the other.

Just was wondering ....

By the way, Sinewiz......from your user name, are you a math guru? That's the first thing I thought when I saw it. :)

Clotho
08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I think it's cutting, and I don't believe in using expired FP's
*hand raised*

LilHooligan74
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Sure, it is line cutting to intentionally let your group get ahead of you to only join them later. Yes it is line cutting if a group goes ahead and others join after they have done other things. But what does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Time is the only thing that once it is gone you can never get back, but you are on vacation. I spend my entire life at work wondering about the finer datails and being aware of my surroundings and things going on. On vacation all I care about is having a good time.
When it comes to line cutting it is all about how it is perceived. The only time I have ever been affected by someone cutting is when they touch you or push you out of the way, I don't think I have noticed when people sneak by. How you are approached in a situation like that dictates how you will react. I understand that many foreigners have a different take on cutting, and that is a different situation.
I certainly don't take pride in stopping people from rejoining their group, even if it is wrong. It is the House of Mouse after all. Just breathe. 'Nuff said

Seasonscraps
08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
It's not just one person - it's the whole family or group that's going ahead. None of them would be on the line if they all went for the FP or waited near the line entrance for their designated FP person was ready to join them.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-02-2007, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=TIGGERSDOBOUNCE;1372340]:mickey: I was a reader of the boards long before I was a writer...I realize everyone has a right to their opinion but, opinions can sometimes paint an ugly portrait...and the image I have in my mind of all of you who think there is any such thing as line cutting because you are catching up with your family or think that anyone else should have to explain themselves to complete strangers, is that of the driver who intentionally speeds up when the car next to them turns on their turn signal...God forbid anyone get somewhere before you do...what ever happen to live and let live...do one to others as you wish they would do for you...and let us not forget as you throw out your opinions so randomly..."if anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone..."

AMEN! "Line monitoring" - Gets you angry :blowup: & Knocks years off your life :ambal: :medic: - Not worth it. :shrug: Not at Disney, not anywhere.

mainemajor
08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
It's funny how personal people have gotten with this thread. I earlier answered that I thought it was cutting, BUT for the most part when things like this go on while I'm at Disney, I don't care. I'm there for my enjoyment not to worry wether I got the last seat on a ride or not. I know that there will be another coming right along and on some rides the queue is just as much fun as the ride itself.
Hey every one: Don't worry, be happy :mickey:

Clotho
08-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Frankly, I am not pleased with the implication that if you think it is line cutting that you somehow regularly get bent out of shape about it or otherwise let it ruin your trip. I think, firmly and resolutely, that we are talking about line cutting. But I have never ever let it "ruin" my trip, nor have I tried to reach out and verbally slap the people who do it. If someone tries to cut in front of me, I may or may not say something. But I certainly won't let it do anything than flash across my brain that karma will get them one day, and then I am on with my business.

You can know right from wrong, and wish other people were smart or thoughtful enough to recognize it and act accordingly, but if we lived our lives allowing our happiness to hinge on it, we would be miserable. So please don't decide because I recognize right from wrong that I am constantly passing judgement on others and letting it sink under my skin. I don't, and I bet most people on here wouldn't either.

CleveSJM
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Frankly, I am not pleased with the implication that if you think it is line cutting that you somehow regularly get bent out of shape about it or otherwise let it ruin your trip. I think, firmly and resolutely, that we are talking about line cutting. But I have never ever let it "ruin" my trip, nor have I tried to reach out and verbally slap the people who do it. If someone tries to cut in front of me, I may or may not say something. But I certainly won't let it do anything than flash across my brain that karma will get them one day, and then I am on with my business.

You can know right from wrong, and wish other people were smart or thoughtful enough to recognize it and act accordingly, but if we lived our lives allowing our happiness to hinge on it, we would be miserable. So please don't decide because I recognize right from wrong that I am constantly passing judgement on others and letting it sink under my skin. I don't, and I bet most people on here wouldn't either.

Extremely well said!:notworth:

Too add, if something is going to upset you at WDW please let a CM know. Most will try to help. Not exactly sure how they can with cutting but that's the best part about a WDW trip. Lots of people wanting to see you happy.

teamblackwell
08-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi all,
Line cutting is one thing and one thing only. Entering an established line that you were never in to begin with.
If your 50th in line and a person ahead of you goes to the restroom and comes back. Your still 50th inline.

i AM Peter Pan
08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow! I'm new here too, and am a bit surprised at some of you hardliners. I'm in with those who don't have a problem with it being just ONE person.

We are a family of six, with four boys all age 12 & under. As "Dad", I take every opportunity I can to secure the limited access to FP's while my wife waits in those (oft times) long lines, sweating it out with the boys and everyone else. It costs me between 10-15 % of my entire ANNUAL SALARY to spend ONE week at WDW. I see (and sooo appreciate) the FP option as the best way, to try and do the most. Sheez, we can only afford a trip every 2-3 years. I'm just one guy joining up with my family already in line, and always try to be low-key and polite. I certainly view it the same way when it's one person joining their group in front of me. Although I respect everyone's opinion here regardless, a sincere thank you to those who haven't made me feel like such a terrible guy about this. With the overabundance of rude and thoughtless people in this world, I hope I'm not considered to be one of them!

Mike

CleveSJM
08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Mike, welcome to Intercot!

Sorry, but I'd consider you rude and thoughtless. It's not just ONE person. If it's ok for you, then it's ok for me and everyone else. It really has to be a black and white answer of NO, don't do it.

You should never pass someone in line who has been waiting longer than you. It's that simple.

Everyone pays the same to be there. It's tough for a lot of people. It seems like you are saying it's ok for you to cut in front of the rich people in front of you. That doesn't seem right. Would you not go in front of others if you knew they were poorer than you?

Thinking about this a little more, if anyone tries to pass me in line, and detract from my vacation, and I didn't see them leave from ahead of me, I will block their way and ask them to get a CM to explain to me why they should be let ahead of me.

DisneyGiant
08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Adding a voice to "its not line cutting" for all the reasons the "not line cutting" fellow posters stated.

And for the record - Disney allows "expired fast passes" for that particular day - so we take advantage of it, when we have to (ie fast pass time is the same as an ADR, etc).

As long as its officially allowed, we will continue with the practice. And fortunately, no one but the cast member in charge sees the time on the fast pass. Not one cast member has ever told us it was not allowed or we were cutting a line.

teamblackwell
08-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Thinking about this a little more, if anyone tries to pass me in line, and detract from my vacation, and I didn't see them leave from ahead of me, I will block their way and ask them to get a CM to explain to me why they should be let ahead of me.

Why would you instigate what will certainly end up as a physical confrontation near families? None of us are Disney security or have the right to impede others movements. Starting a fight just isn't smart and you'll end up with much worse than just being annoyed.

disneydaisy
08-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with someone stepping out of line and returning for whatever the reason. This would include someone taking a cell phone call (my pet peeve). I would much rather them step away to take a call privately than having to stand next to someone who is constantly on a cell phone and generally talking so loud (so that they can be heard by the caller) that it interferes with your own conversations. :(

crazypoohbear
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Mike, welcome to Intercot!

Sorry, but I'd consider you rude and thoughtless. It's not just ONE person. If it's ok for you, then it's ok for me and everyone else. It really has to be a black and white answer of NO, don't do it.

You should never pass someone in line who has been waiting longer than you. It's that simple.

Everyone pays the same to be there. It's tough for a lot of people. It seems like you are saying it's ok for you to cut in front of the rich people in front of you. That doesn't seem right. Would you not go in front of others if you knew they were poorer than you?

YIKES, it sounds like George Orwell is alive and well!

Big Brother is watching and judging.