PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm suffering from TMA. Are you?

Marker
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
That's right, I think I'm suffering from TMA, or "To Many Acronyms".

Do you ever find yourself read an interesting post only to find you have to pause to translate what seems to be a random collection of lettes?

Or do you ever find yourself attempting to translate an apparent acronym only to figure out it's only a misspelled word.

Oh sure, I know there is a translation list, but quite often folks invent new ones that just aren't on the list. Then there are the acronyms with multiple translations.

I contend that many of us are suffering from TMA.

Consider the following ---- "One day while on my way to the CP I decided to go to the CP instead. Later, while at CS I decided I wanted DD before going to DD with DD for a CS meal, so I stopped by DI before going to DI". Does that make sense?

Or would it make more sense if it read ---- "One day while on my way to the Candlelight Processional I decided to go to the Crystal Palace instead. Later, while at Coronodo Springs I decided I wanted Disney Dollars before going to Downtown Disney with Dear Daughter for a Counter Service meal, so I stopped by Disney Institute before going to Discovery Island".

Is it just me?????

LauraF
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :funny::silly:

ISWYM. JM2C, PITB. OTOH, ICBW. HTH. LOL!
(I see what you mean. Just my two cents, it's a pain in the behind. On the other hand, it could be worse. Hope that helps. :laughs: )

Yeah, it's the common acronyms that are a problem for me. I've been using DTD instead of DD for Downtown Disney simply because many think I'm going to go visit their teenage daughters or something. I personally use the acronyms because I tend to type so fast I skip or transpose letters and then people are ready to kill me for saying weird things I didn't intend.

SBETigg
07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy taking time to figure it out, if it isn't obvious right away-- and it usually is.

disneydrmr
07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
LOL ROTFL (translations: :funny::rotfl:)
You are too funny! :mickey:

IloveDisney71
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
I loved your post! :funny: I'm very new to this and I find myself having to grab my translation list that I copied so that I know what I'm reading. Then I find myself starting to use the acronyms and then I think "Gosh, I hope I typed the right thing!" :eek:

magicman
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't care for all acronyms. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I guess I can understand using them on a cell phone for text pages, but it seems easy enough to me to just type out the words. Also, like LauraF said in her post, I'm afraid I might use the wrong acronym & end up getting arrested for scoping out someone's "Darling Daughter" when I meant to say I was scoping out "Downtown Disney").

jedigrrrl
08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
this might be the first time i ever agree with you.

it's majorly annoying.

Marker
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
this might be the first time i ever agree with you.

:cheers: