PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Lights On!!

WDWR FREAK
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
i rode space mountain with the lights on but it tottaly kills the ride!:mickey::mickey:

oh and also how do u get a intercot picture thing

RBrooksC
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Why were the lights on? Did Disney give an explanation?

IloveDisney71
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't want to ride SM with the lights on either, I think the best thing about it is that it is dark.
You add a picture by going to User CP. Click on Edit Avatar and then you can choose a picture to add.

Polynesian Dweller
07-30-2007, 12:06 PM
:ditto: Why were the lights on??:confused:

I've seen the ride with the lights on when they had a break down and had to get the cars back down safely and I can say it does take away the magic.

Jared
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I never rode Space Mountain with the lights on but saw the illuminated track while riding Tomorrowland Transit Authority. The ride broke down just as our car was zipping through the building. I was shocked to see so much metal twisting and turning. The darkness truly makes the attraction. In the light, Space Mountain would probably be lame.

RBrooksC
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Space Mountain is nothing more than an old fashioned "wild mouse" style roller coaster. The dark is what makes the ride "special."

Figgyluv03
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
They purposely had the lights on for a cast member night when I worked there, but by the time my room mate and I go there, the parade was beginning, so we watched that instead. I acutally would like to ride it with the lights on. I've seen the video on youtube and tryied showing DBf last night, but I think I might have scared him with how low the tracks really are above you.

grumpycajun
07-30-2007, 05:58 PM
It happened to us last year. We were about a third of the way into the ride when all of the sudden the lights popped on. Talk about a different perspective! DW wife thought it made it scarier because you could see what was coming. I thought it was kind of cool only because we got to see it in a way that not many people do.

WDWfanatic742
07-30-2007, 06:05 PM
It's alot scarier when the lights are off than when they are on. The support structure only comes close to you at some points but it looks alot worse on the TTA than actually on the ride.

I take the Ferry
07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree, it is MUCH scarier with the lights on.

I've only been on it once with the lights, and I thought it was awesome. It makes you not want to raise your hands on the ride ever again... everything feels SO close!

I love it when it's dark, but it's a special treat when the lights are on!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Zippy_D_DooDah
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey! Great avatar! That's Dr. Irving isn't it?

jszczur5
07-30-2007, 11:47 PM
With the lights on, SM would just be the Crazy Mouse at any state fair.
The dark is what makes the ride - not knowing if you're dipping or rising, banking left or right....

markb
07-31-2007, 03:04 AM
If it was in April this year it was our fault the lights were on :secret: We were riding TTA and as we were half way through the Space Mountain building it broke down. After about 30 seconds the CM's made an announcement that they were on their way to rescue us and a few minutes after that the lights in the building came on. When the CM's arrived to walk us out of the building, about 20 minutes later, they said that ours was the only train in SpM :thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 03:12 AM
As much as the lights on would probably kill the ride, I bet it's cool too. A different perspective. I saw a video on Youtube and I agree, it's kinda scary that way.

Fantasmic
07-31-2007, 05:35 AM
I wouldn't class Space Mountain as a wild mouse, the turns aren't sharp enough, that's just my opinion though.

I would love to ride it with the lights on though!

Rodders
07-31-2007, 07:47 AM
The lights were on for us in 2005. I felt that it destroyed the magic somewhat. The great thing about this was that they allowed us to run around the back for a repeat ride once they got the ride back online :number1:

StitchplusTink=STINK
07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
I never rode Space Mountain with the lights on but saw the illuminated track while riding Tomorrowland Transit Authority. The ride broke down just as our car was zipping through the building. I was shocked to see so much metal twisting and turning. The darkness truly makes the attraction. In the light, Space Mountain would probably be lame.

Definetly agree with you disney nut.i too saw it on TTA with the lights on. it does look like it would definetly stink with the lights on. i wonder why they were on.disney has rarely messed up like this.(one time i went on HM and the expanding room wasnt working!!!!!!!!)well i hope it doesnt happen again!!!!!!!!

RBrooksC
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't class Space Mountain as a wild mouse, the turns aren't sharp enough, that's just my opinion though.

I would love to ride it with the lights on though!

Actually, it is a version of a Wild Mouse. Yes, some "Wild Mouse" coasters have shaper turns or more dips but that is a funtion of the design of a particular coaster. In the genre of the Wild Mouse, Space Mountain is right in the middle.

ImagiAsh
08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I haven't been on Space Mountain with the lights on, but like a few others, I've been on TTA with the lights on. Luckily I had my video camera on and caught everything inside (including a very friendly CM waving at us from the top of the tracks! :laughing:)

Momof2boys
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
We also saw Space with the lights on while going thru on the TTA . . . and agree that it doesn't look nearly as exciting with the lights on. We were able to snap a few quick pics.

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
OK... call me weird or whatever u want.... but I would totally freak if I had to ride Space Mountain with the lights on. I don't really like roller coasters and the ONLY reason I tolerate SM is because the lights are off and I can't see what's coming. (I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels this way!)