PDA

View Full Version : Omg!

Dyanna
07-30-2007, 11:25 AM
A friend of mine, his wife & 17 yr old son went to FL 2 weeks ago to look at a college. While there they decided to take a day & goto Epcot as they have never been to WDW before. When they came home the parents ranted how much they hated FL & how they also hated Epcot. WHAT!!!??? How can you hate Epcot? "Disney is such a tourist trap & all they want is your money & how could anyone spend their hard earned money on such a place etc... The water & soda is so expensinve blah blah blaa etc..."
My thought is good, 1 less family I have to wait behind in line!:thumbsup: They have got to be the only people I know who went to WDW & hated it. Anyone you know who went to WDW & did not like it?

PS. This is also the same family who never took their kids to any amusement parks when they were little for fear they might have to spend a buck or 2. The mother also made all the kids clothes to save money. You get the idea.

IloveDisney71
07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
My husband never understood my love for Disney. I grew up going to Disney and made several trips with our kids by myself, because of various reasons that didn't allow him to go. He always made fun of it and said it was a "money maker". BUT I finally talked him into going with me as a "second honeymoon" and HE LOVED IT! He turned into a big kid and said he would go again. He is going with me and the kids for the first time in Dec. :) So, I don't know anyone who didn't like it once they went.
But I'm sure there are more people who just don't "get it". I feel sad for them, but you are right...it's one less family to get behind in line.:blush:

SBETigg
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I've known people who hate Disney. I think it's harder to get a good impression when you visit as a day visitor. The roads and traffic in the area, plus the shopping centers and tourist traps outside the Disney area can really be a turn off. I think it helps to stay on property so that you can immerse yourself in the magic. Plus, you have to have imagination and be the kind of person to relax, take it all in, and enjoy. Some people really just don't get it.

BigRedDad
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
My BIL and nephew hate. My sister and other nephew love it. Some people wind up hating it because of the cost. For a trip with 4 people for a week, you are looking at $3000+ easily if you stay on property. You can find a way to reduce it a bit, but vacations are not for trying to save a $100 for 5 hours worth of headaches.

LauraF
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Some people just don't get it, and I think you've got the right attitude - one less family to wait behind.

I've known people who dislike WDW. Almost all of them objected due to some combination of hatred/fear of corporations, the cost of visiting, and objecting to the fact WDW is all fantasy. (Geez - WDW is fantasy? No kidding! Why do you think I go?) You just can't please some people.

OTOH, there are people who think they don't like it, then go and LOVE it. My BF is one of those people. He kept telling me how he wasn't sure if he wanted to go to WDW, because it was soooo expensive, blah, blah . . . Now he's more excited about going this time than I am!

Marker
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't expect everyone to like the same things I do, and I certainly don't expect to like the same things everyone else does.

Florida, Orlando & WDW can be very hot and humid. Not everyone tolerates that sort of environment as well as others. In fact, some have great difficulty.

"Disney is such a tourist trap", well yeah, it sure is.

"The water & soda is so expensinve", well yeah, it sure is, and so is pretty much everything there.

"They have got to be the only people I know who went to WDW & hated it.", doubt it. I think there are a lot of folks who don't care for WDW, or even any amusment or theme park. As I said, to each there own. Sounds to me like they also didn't really experience WDW, or Epcot for that matter. They tried a one day trip. They experienced heat, crowds, high price. Perhaps it's just not their thing, or perhaps they didn't give it a fair chance, either way, it's just their opinion and their entitled to it.

This is also the same family who never took their kids to any amusement parks when they were little for fear they might have to spend a buck or 2. The mother also made all the kids clothes to save money. You get the idea.

No, I don't necessarily get the idea. There are a lot of folks out there who CAN'T spend the money and are thrifty by necessity rather than choice. On the other hand, choosing to be thrifty can also be considered very wise.

Whatever their reasons, their opinions are just as valid as anyone's. And as you say, that's one less family to be in front of you in line.

DizneyRox
07-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I know a few poeple who think it's really going downhill. I think it's more about the recent dollar first attitude.

A friend recently came back and he explained to me how it cost him close to $40 for a drink at PI. Between admission and drink prices, etc.

Just caught him off guard... I think first time or the occasional tourists do get the impression that it's very expensive and they are constantly looking for your last dollar. I've seen it as well, but I know my way around the system and find WDW vacations are actually pretty cheap.

So, yes, I do think it's fair to say that many people are finding what your friend found out.

lightyearfan
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
you really summed it up best, its not that they hate WDW it is that they are just CHEAP!! they probably try and rub a quarter to try and 2 dimes and a nickel out of it. people like this really upset me because you have to know going anywhere espically WDW you are going to be spending some cash, it's like going to a sporting event unless your at a football game where you can bring stuff from home to tailgate with you are going to be spending money. me and dw just got back from the world and almost at the end of every ride where you then walk into a shop, so many people have something to say, well you know let me finish by saying 2 things.

1. WDW isn't holding a gun to your head telling you to buy everything that you

2. At the the end of the WDW is in the buisness of making money, just like where i work and almost everyone else.

Victor

HOLITRIN
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I think people need to put WDW in perspective to other venues. We have an amusement park (formerly 6 flags) near us and it is $25/person and the food and drinks are expensive and IMHO STINK!! The rides are just that - rides. There is no story or theme, no fireworks, etc. The park is dirty and the employees don't care if you're there or not.

Now go to WDW (or any Disney location) and your put right into the experience with landscaping, storytelling, and all the other details that encompasses WDW.

So, dollar for dollar, WDW is a BARGAIN!! There is nothing else like it around.

MarkC
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
You're right that some people are so concerned about money that it clouds their judgment. If it costs a little bit, they can't enjoy it because they're worried about the cost vs. what they learn, how much they enjoyed it, etc.

I've also known people who weren't going to take their kids to Disney because it would cost too much, they're too young, etc. My response to them is "Don't worry, they'll be young again and you can do it next time around". Life is too short folks. Enjoy it.

mickey&missy
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree that a lot of people who dislike WDW dislike it because of the cost. But really, there are less expensive ways to do Disney. You don't have to go all out, you can bring your own water etc... I think they just don't go into it with the wrong attitude. If you think your going to hate something before you even walk into it your bound to hate it.

A friend of mine has been to WDW several times. As a kid, with her DH and for different conference. She told me she really didn't ever want to go back. ?*!%? In her case I think its that she's too much of a grownup. She doesn't want to ride rides, see characters, etc Personally, I think ever adult needs to have a little bit of a kid left in them or life stinks!