PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and "Big Kid" Rides

jetsdc
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience taking toddlers on rides usually thought of as "big kid" rides? What do you think of taking a 3 year old boy (assuming he meets the 40" height requirement) on rides such as Splash, Soarin, or Thunder Mountain? Have you taken younger kids on these rides? Did it scar them for life? Or just leave them thirsty for more excitement?

diznee_buzz
07-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm hoping to find out in September. My DS3 will probably meet the 40"" height requirement by then. I will probably try Splash first, because it's only one big drop. He has said he wants to ride Barnstormer, so we will try that and if he loves it, we may try BTMRR, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

I have never ridden Soarin' myself, so I will have to try it out first and then make the decision about DS.

But basically, I think every child is different. My DS rarely shows fear in movies or in loud situations, but is afraid to put his head underwater in the pool! Go figure! (hmmm...maybe Splash isn't such a good idea afterall.....)

RBrooksC
07-30-2007, 11:03 AM
My take is this. First off you should know your own child and if you think your child can handle it, take him on the rides.

I truly believe that children take cues from their parents about what is scary and what isn't. If a parents isn't scared and is excited about a ride, a child may actually be excited also.

When I was about 7 years old, I wanted to ride the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens. I was more then tall enough to ride it. I ran up to the starting house super excited about it My parents were scared of steel coasters (and still are) and told me that I wasn't old enough for that ride and it could be dangerous and scary. So for years I would shy away from those coasters because of the impression I got from them. Once I finally rode one I realized how much fun I was missing and I ride any coaster I can.

My son will be 19 months and should be more than tall enough to ride Goofy's Barnstormer. I will take him on it if I can along with POTC, The Haunted Mansion, and whatever other ride there is I think he can handle. I will wait a few years to ride Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder and those rides.

IrishMickey
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Truly depends on your child. My DD(6) loves to go on all those rides and has for years, however my DS(4), looks at all those rides and says he will do it when he is bigger. Start off small and work your way up, Goofy barnstormer, Soarin, and so on... encourage but don't force and then you will all have fun and great memories. :mickey: Have fun!!!!!!!!

Jared
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
All children are different. I wouldn't ride Space Mountain until I was eight-years-old but always loved Star Tours. My sister loved Big Thunder Mountain Railroad when she was three or four but still won't dare try Splash Mountain.

If he meets the height requirements, let your son decide what he wants to ride. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is tame for a roller coaster. Perhaps have him try Goofy's Barnstormer first. It's a small kiddie coaster that can serve as a test.

As an aside, Soarin' is tame. Unless your son he deathly afraid of heights, bring him onto Soarin'.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
DD4 loved Soarin', Barnstormer, and BTMRR, but HATED Splash Mountain. She cried at the end after the drop. She is a daredevil and loves fast rides. Good luck!
Jen

Mickey'sGirl
07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
We took our 2 1/2 year old DS on all of these rides (and Test Track too!) last summer. He LOVED them -- especially Test Track and Splash. This past April he had just turned 3, and insisted on going on the Tower or Terror. I was reluctant, but was talked into allowing it by my other son, my husband and another family who overheard the conversation. As it turns out my fears were in vain - he LOVED TofT and it is his new favourite ride.

So, if you have a daredevil type kid like I do, and you think he/she will have fun with them...then by all means take him/her on these rides. If you have any doubts, then don't. A good way to test the waters is with the Barnstormer in Toontown. If your child enjoys the just a little less excitement provided on Barnstormer, then I would not hesitate to graduate to Splash and BTMRR.

Have a great trip no matter what you do!!

crazykids
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
My daughter is 3 & my son is 4 - we will be visiting all of the big rides this September! Like others said, each kid is different. Mine love rides, the faster the better!

Now I personally love rides & have been on every one of them in WDW. The only one I was really nervous on was Soarin. I think the fact that I was up so high & didn't have anything in front of me to hold on to was the problem.

DANAM
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
You have to try Soarin' it was my DD4 favorite ride when we went last year. I really didn't think there was much to be scared of but just in case try not to let him look down. The first time we went we were in the front row and she took a quick peek half way through. She held on real tight for a couple of seconds and then seemed to forget it. My husband took her right after and he said she looked down a couple of times and it didn't really effect her, they were on one of the back rows. Maybe the front row isn't a good spot for first timers? We are going in sept and I am hoping my DS3 will be tall enough to ride we have 2" left and just over a month to go. Hope you enjoy your trip:mickey: