PDA

View Full Version : One Week Awy From Our York Beach Trip!

darthmacho
07-30-2007, 08:39 AM
A week from today I'll be getting ready to pack up the family and head north to York Beach, Maine for a week of fun and (hopefully) sun at the beach!

In any case, we're hoping to take a Trolley Tour, go to York's Wild Kingdom, climb mighty Mount Agamenticus (a whopping 692' above sea level) and of course, go to the beach. Early weather reports look shakey, but a lot can change in a week. I'm going to eat seafood all week, hopefully lots of lobster.

Decided against chartering a whale watch, but maybe next time.

Looking forward to it. Would love to get any info on places to eat or things to do. :crab:

SBETigg
07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh, fun! We love that area. We usually stay at Wells Beach, but sometimes we like to walk around the York Beach area, too. It's fun to go out to the Nubble Lighthouse at Cape Neddick. Fox's Lobster House is out there, too. Our kids love to stop at Yummies for candy in Kittery. Flo's hot dogs are supposed to be the best, but we've never stopped there. There's also a Western-themed burger place on rte one that is supposed to be fantastic, Wild Willy's.

In Wells, we love the Hayloft for casual meals (good prices, great whole belly clams) and Billy's Chowder House. Lobster is everywhere, of course, and I eat that as often as possible while in Maine. There's mini golf, too. We usually take a few hours away from beach time for a family mini-golf tourney with ice cream afterward. We like to walk around Perkins Cove in Ogunquit, too- great shops, and they do have some sight-seeing cruises as well as whale watch. But on weekends, Perkins Cove is crazy busy and overcrowded. If it was just you and Mrs. Darth Macho, you could do some wine-tasting at Perkins and Perkins in Ogunquit but it's not kid-friendly (not kid-opposed, but boring for them!). Have a great time!

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I have to agree with Perkins Cove shopping. It is awesome. I also recommend that you visit the Kittery Trading Post. Lots of cool stuff. Maybe wander up toward Portland, north on 95, and go to Cape Elizabeth and see the Portland Headlight. It's a great lighthouse. Google it.....it's beautiful. Webshots has lots of pix of it too. Also go to Capt Newicks for some great seafood and lower prices. Check out the Maine Mall in Portland as well. Wells Beach is a really great place too. Oh, I almost forgot, go to Freeport to LL Bean. Awesome store with lots of cool stuff.

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I just found Capt Newicks closed a year ago, my Mom still lives there and she said it closed last fall. She suggests Warren's on Route 1 in Kittery, just after you cross the bridge on Main Street its just beyond Strawberry Banke on the right. They have a huge salad bar, lobstah, and all the fixins, lobstah rolls, scallops, shrimp, clams......you name it they have it!!