PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a sleep walker?

conorsmom2000
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm honestly not sure if that's what Conor is doing - but he's definitely never done stuff like this before!

It started a little over a week ago, the night I went to the HP book release. I got home at 12:30 and started to read - at about 2:00 am, I heard Con get up, run into our room, then he came downstairs. He ran over to me and jumped on the couch, but I could tell he was not really awake. I asked him "Con, what's the matter?" and he said "so....what's the matter?" Again, I could tell he really had no idea what was going on. So, I said, do you want to go back to bed? He nodded, so I put him back to bed and he went right back to sleep. Now, I know he doesn't like it when I'm out and he's going to bed, so I just chalked it up to the fact that, even though he really seemed to still be asleep, he was thinking of me and wanted to make sure I was home.

But, then a few nights later, he did the same thing - it was about 11:00 PM and he ran right downstairs. Again, I could tell he wasn't really awake - he just kept wringing his hands and trying to say something, but he couldn't get he words out. He had that same look to him - like, his eyes were open, but you could tell he had no idea what was going on. He remembers nothing about either incident.

Now it just happened again last night. Mike was going to check on him as he went to bed. When he went into Con's room, Con sat up. Mike tried to tell him to lay down and go back to sleep. He then got up, and walked into the bathroom. Mike said he walked next to him the whole time, so he wouldn't go to the stairs. When he was done, he saw Mike standing there and he jumped and said "Daddy, you scared me!!!" Mike told him that he'd been there since he sat up in bed, but Conor never saw or heard him.

Now Mike, who's an electrician and cautious by nature ("safety first!"), is freaked out by this - and terrified Con's going to hurt himself or fall down the stairs. I'm not sure what's going on, but this is definitely new territory for us! Any experience with this??? A friend of mine suggested we gate the top of the stairs but I'm afraid that would cause more harm because Conor wouldn't be expecting it - he seems to be able to find his way (but, both times he came downstairs, I was up, so all the lights were on).

I'm not sure what to do or if there is anything we can do.... :confused:

kakn7294
07-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't have any personal experience with it although I know a bit about it. Sleepwalking is fairly common in children, moreso in boys, and Conor is right at the age in which it usually happens in children. Many times they grow out of it. You can talk to his doctor but usually they don't do anything to treat it. Generally, it occurs within the first 1/3 of the night and often they will gravitate towards the parent's room or a light. If it continues to happen, there would be some safety concerns - at that point, consider a door alarm or investing in locks that he can't open to keep him from going outside or a bed alarm that alerts you to when he gets up so you can keep an eye on him. Good luck - hopefully it's only a short-lived phase!

SBETigg
07-30-2007, 09:21 AM
My best friend's daughter did this. It scared the heck out of them, too. She would get up and walk around the house, and not be really awake or aware of her actions later. The doctor didn't recommend anything special, as I recall, they just made sure she was safe. Nothing bad happened and she outgrew it. I think they did make sure they kept a regular schedule and had regular bedtime rituals- like no food or drink three hours before bedtime, same bedtime and waking time every day, that kind of thing.

RenDuran
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
My daughter has had night terrors and sleepwalking since she was about 2-3 years old. Fortunately the night terrors have almost disappeared, but she still sleepwalks at age 8.

You're doing the right thing by gently guiding him back to bed and not waking him up. Sleepwalkers, to my knowledge, can generally get around pretty well without tripping down stairs, if they're used to stairs to begin with. The only thing her doctor ever mentioned was making sure exterior doors were secured, in case she decided to go outdoors. She never remembers anything the next day and gets quite a kick out of hearing what she said or did during the night.

ftwildernesskid
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Sleepwalking and sleep disturbances seem to run in families. All 3 of my children and myself have some form of sleepwalking. I have done it since a child and have had no ill effects. Except sometimes I have been embarrassed by something I have said or done while believeing what I was seeing was real. 2 of my children have night terrors, and the other sleepwalks. I guess the sleepwalking has never concerned me since I do it myself and it is so much less disturbing than the night terrors. i do find that the sleepwalking is worse when children are overly tired, out of schedule, upset or stressed, or sick. Don't worry about your daughter navigating the house. Locking the door or latching it where she can't reach might be a good idea. If you still have concerns, talk to your pediatritian who may reccomend a sleep study.

princessjojo
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
For about 4 years, our younger son, Colbey, went between night terrors and sleepwalking about 3-4 days/week. During the night terrors, he would wake up screaming and crying, but had no idea we were there trying to console him. It would honestly take about an hour to bring him around without actually waking him. Other nights, he would just get up and walk around the house doing crazy things, nothing that he wouldn't usually do (no cooking or dangerous things) but things like getting pots/pans out of the kitchen and bringing them into our room, turn on the t.v., ect. We became concerned that he would walk outside, so we changed our deadbolt locks to ones with key locks rather than "turn-type" locks, but that just presents other issues for us. We turn our alarm on as well, so that if the door opens, it will sound.

We were told that if we were sound sleepers, to keep our bedroom door open so we could hear him easier. We were advided that when we would hear him, it was just best to communicate as usual, talking easily to him and as you've done already, just guide him back to bed. If you arouse him making him aware of what he's doing, he may be even more awake for quite a while, then not be rested the next day.

Unfortunately it took a severe accident to break Colbey of this, but we told the doctors and nurses of this history incase he began to scream in the middle of the night. We really didn't want them to think we were hurting him.

I do know that it's not unusual for children to do this, in our case it was during times that were kid-stressful (changing daycares, brother leaving him for "big-school", and then him going to school), but not unusual changes in life. Something like this could be a trigger for him and once he adapts, the activity could sease. Colbey has only done it twice in 2 years now. They've never really given me a remedy, but I do know others who have put a baby gate at the door so they couldn't get out and get hurt, but they could still hear the child, but that could also be done with the monitors you often put in baby rooms to listen.

Like others have said, they're pretty aware of where they're at so falling usually isn't a big issue. Just make sure the doors are secure. You could, ifyou don't already, place night lights in the hallways that are motion activated to light his way. Though I know it doesn't answer or solve the issue for you, he really should be ok. Good luck and good night...

Dracula766
07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
My son Damian is a sleepwalker too. there have been a few times that I've caught him in the middle of the night standing motionless in front of the refigerator with the door open.

Most of the times he's done it, he usually just walks from his room to mine and then has no idea how he got there in the morning. He hasn't done it lately so i guess he is starting to outgrow it.

murphy1
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I've caught my 8 yo twice at it, once she walked into our room, muttering some words. I just walked her back into her room. Her ped said that was fine when I walked her back to her room. I firmly believe we work a lot of things out in our subconscious especially during our dreams or sleep. Just keep watch over him. I was primarily worried about our staircase.

DMApixie
07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
My oldest twin (12) used to sleepwalk, but she has for the most part outgrown it in the last 3-4 years. She still does it once in a while, usually when her normal sleep pattern is interrupted. She would wander down the stairs and just stand there eyes open, but no recognition on her face. She never slipped or fell on the stairs, I think because she was used to them already. We would talk gently to her and coax her back to her bed. It was like she could hear us, but not respond verbally.

I did learn the hard way that I had to be VERY specific with her when talking to her while she was sleepwalking. Case in point when she was about 3 or 4...we asked her once while she stood at the end of our bed if she had to go potty. She nodded yes and the immediately started to 'tinkle' in her pjs while still standing there. Another night, same scenario, but we said go to the bathroom if you have to go potty. She walked to the bathroom, stood there in her pjs and, well, you can guess the rest. So after that, we were cautious to be very specific...go to the bathroom, take down your pjs and undies, sit on the potty, etc. I can laugh about it now, but it wasn't very funny at the time. :D

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I used to sleep walk when I was a young child. Right around 7-8.

My parents told me I would walk down the stairs and either just walk into the living room and stand by their chair or walk into the kitchen, get the milk out of the fridge and bring it to them. I would just stand there with the container of milk in my hand. They said it was the weirdest thing.

Each time they would just gently walk me back to bed. I would not talk to them or respond at all. :paranoid:

I eventually grew out of it and the Dr told them at the time that it was very common. They just made sure I made it back to bed alright. The were also told it was a genetic thing and that my kids could do it. My oldest son has done it a few times. Same exact thing, minus the milk. He just comes down the stairs, walks into the room and stands there. I am usually home alone since DH is working until 11:30 pm so it scares the day lights out of me!! We do have a gate to keep the dogs from going up there at night and he even opens that up. I do not think I would put one up in your case though. As you said it might confuse your DS. My son has never gotten hurt, thank goodness and neither did I as a child.

The only fear I have is that he might let himself out and not realize it if we were sleeping. So, I leave a small bell on each door to the outside at night. Makes me feel better. ;)

Good luck, I am sure he will grow out of it too.