PDA

View Full Version : The "lost all our belongings" scam??

drevlo
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
A while back I would have posted this is the "Mouse-allaneous" thread, but since it's no longer around, this header seemed to be the most appropriate...
Has anyone ever encountered someone (usually nicely dressed, and very cordial) who approaches you and tells a story about either being robbed of all of their money/luggage, or of an issue with their baggage at the airport that left them in a similar situation....and then ask you for money to help them?
I ask because we've experienced this twice in the last five years, and our neighbors who just returned from thr DLR had the same experience.
The first time we were approached in the parking lot of the Ramada. The next time we were at the Chevron on Harbor.
Our friends just got back from staying at the Castle inn, and described a situation that was eerily similar.
I understand that in touristy areas, these types of things are not uncommon, but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced anything like that.
Thanks!

Lucille
07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm a city girl and I've heard a million stories, including this one. Its a bit funny when they want cash, but don't need to call anyone with a phone. :mad:

NotaGeek
08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
There is a Mousellaneous, and this is on it's way... follow the thread kids! :mickey:

AND ... this happened on my recent trip to DLR in front of the Ramada, I declined to help, but I did tell them that I could use any change they might have towards my Churro fund. I got a not so nice response. Oh well. :cool:

crazypoohbear
08-04-2007, 07:42 PM
This has not happened to me but if it did I would exclaim OMG, and take out my cell phone and call the police for the "poor people"
That would cure them quickly!:mickey:

IloveDisney71
08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
This has not happened to me but if it did I would exclaim OMG, and take out my cell phone and call the police for the "poor people"
That would cure them quickly!:mickey:
What a great idea! :yes:

angedeaile
08-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I love the calling the police idea! This hasn't ever happened to me on vacation, but if it does, this is what I will do!

Now that I think about it, even homeless folks don't ask me for money.

Just a few weeks ago on our trip to Toronto, a bum was asking everyone walking by for some change...but decided not to ask me! My brother thought it was hilarious.

I figure it must be one of these reasons:
I look broke
I look mean
I don't look naive

I guess no matter the reason, I shouldn't complain :D

Here we go again...
08-05-2007, 05:17 AM
This is one of the biggest scams ever. I used to travel a lot and would see it in gas stations all the time. Most of the time they had a child with them to make it look legit.

Watching America's Most Wanted last night I heard a new one... People will come up to you in a gas station and tell you that they need cash but all they have is credit cards. They will offer you $15 in gas on the card for $10 in cash. They run the card, get the cash and you are both happy... the only problem is that the card is stolen.

Marker
08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I can't help it but, in situations like this, and I've experienced a few, my thoughts go to those poor souls who are seriously in need.

I only pray I never deny someone in serious need for trying to save $5 or $10 bucks.

Which is the worse mistake to make, helping someone who didn't really need it, or failing to help someone who truly does.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd say if they look affluent and are panhandling, then they are scamming you. If they lost everything, there must be someone in their life they could call for a wire transfer. That only takes a short time until you receive the money. So you don't have to feel you are denying someone who really needs help.

LauraF
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
People will come up to you in a gas station and tell you that they need cash but all they have is credit cards. They will offer you $15 in gas on the card for $10 in cash. They run the card, get the cash and you are both happy... the only problem is that the card is stolen.
Except that most gas stations take credit cards these days (sometimes you have ask inside if they aren't accepted at the pump) and the ones that don't usually have ATMS. (DUH!) Sorry, no deal.

Trust your instincts if you aren't sure if they're legit. (Clue #1 to a scammer - if they offer you money . . . they DON'T need yours.)

Polynesian Dweller
08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
In terms of this scam, the way I think about is, if I was to lose all my luggage the last thing I would do would be asking for a handout. I would be asking about where the police station is, or looking for an ATM, or a bank or anything that I could do to at least get emergency supplies.

Always ask yourself, what would a reasonable person do to deal with the situation you are being asked to help out with and you can usually figure out the scams.

SteveL
08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I can't help it but, in situations like this, and I've experienced a few, my thoughts go to those poor souls who are seriously in need.

I only pray I never deny someone in serious need for trying to save $5 or $10 bucks.

Which is the worse mistake to make, helping someone who didn't really need it, or failing to help someone who truly does.

I have had a couple experiences where people have asked for cash for either food or for gasoline to get home. I have always offered to buy them food in the store, or put gas in their tank. Never offered them any money.
Both times they said "forget it" and moved on.

pook@wdw
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Not to get off the subject, but I have encountered someone w/a sign saying..."will work for food". so I stopped and told them I had some yard work I could use help with, and I would get them a meal when we were done. Well...as you would guess, they simply "weren't physically able" to do the work but they could use a little $ for a meal. The only thing they ate was my dust!!:D