PDA

View Full Version : Any experience being offered "inappropriate things" in ports of E.Caribbean?

DisneyRN
07-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I have heard stories from cruisers on other cruise lines that went to St. Maarten and St. Thomas that told me horror stories of being offered drugs MULTIPLE times while in both ports.

They had 6-8 people in their party and everyone was approached multiple times. And in no way do they look like that would be something they would do. Is this something we should expect? :confused:

What do you say to someone when they say that?

DisneyDudet
07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
We sailed on the Eastern Caribbean Cruise in Jan and we were not offered anything. The only thing that we were offered were cab rides or other things like that. My suggestion is at St. Maarten, there is a ferry that is $5 a person for all day service to different parts of the "main strip". We took this to the less crowded part of town to shop and that helped with those people waiting for the tourists (we got to avoid them). The water taxi was nice and very helpful when having to get back for lunch. There are three stops, one at the port, one near the end of the shopping area, and one in the middle.

There is a new port in St. Thomas, and there is hardly anyone there, and its very nice. Here, we took the excursion to Magen's Bay, and we weren't approached by anyone. Thats all we did that day.

When I went to Nassau in 2002, we were approached for MANY inappropriate things and people wanting inappropriate things. We say no thanks and keep moving.

Hopefully that settles some fears for you. I am a 23 year old female if that helps? Also, we stay in the main areas. We went to the shopping seminar on the ship and they tell you where to go. If you follow this, then I don't think you'll have a problem. But, if someone does approach you, make sure there's others around and say no and walk away.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon. We were offered things several times, but all you have to do is say no thank you. Don't stress over it Don't act nervous. Stay in the touristy areas and you'll be fine.
Jen

Jasper
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I have never been to these specific ports of call, but have been to others in the past and have had similar things happen. Unfortunately there are a lot of countries that either don’t have the resources or the desire to police things like this as well as we are used to in this country. Don’t get me wrong, this country is not perfect either.

Generally these people are not looking to hurt you or even to hold you up, they are just trying to make a buck. Remember all the basic rules of travel that we have all been taught from childhood;
1. Always travel in groups.
2. Always stay in well lit/well traveled areas regardless of whether you are with a group or not.
3. Don’t be afraid to say no loudly and clearly.
4. If you do decide to buy something (legal of course) than be sure to examine it carefully before buying.
5. BUYER BEWARE!!!! Remember, if it is too good to be true than it probably is.
6. If you want to drink and are going to drink to excess it is best to do it on the boat where you have a more controlled environment and normally have better enforcement of laws.

If you follow all the common sense rules of travel you should have no problems even if you do get approached to buy illegal things like drugs. Don’t let the prospect that you might get hit up to buy illegal drugs or other things keep you from traveling. From my own experiences I would say that your friend’s experience is the exception rather than the rule.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-03-2007, 11:45 PM
It can happen anywhere. I would just say no thanks and keep walking. Don't act nervous. A confident stride helps too.