PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Question

Vinny
07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I recently purchased my first HDTV a short time ago and am looking for some info in regards to receiving broadcasts in high definition. My television, a Visco 32 inch widescreen, is currently setup with 2 cable inputs. One goes to standard cable reception and other to HD reception. The reception on standard cable is ok but I would like to get more of out the set. My tv is able to get local stations over the air in HD but not others like ESPN, ect... that broadcast programing in HD. My question is, would I need to purchase an HD tuner and an indoor antenna or just the antenna because my television can receive over the air HD? If the HD tuner is necessary, I have been researching the Samsung HD Tuner (DTB-H260F). Thanks for any help or info you can provide.

DizneyRox
07-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Sounds like you're asking about HD stations through your cable provider. Many cable providers offer HD porgramming as a seperate package.

For example, COX communications offers "free" HD programming with their digital cable package. I can get ESPN in SD or HD, but ESPN is actually on 2 channels. Regular ESPN in on it's normal channel, and HD ESPN is on a channel in the 700's.

I wouldn't get channel 700 if I:

a. Didn't have digital cable
b. DIdn't tell them I needed HD

I had digital cable BEFORE I got my HD tv, and needed to get a new cable box in order to get the HD programming. This was a few years ago, so I'm not sure what they are doing now, nor do I know if any other cable providers do the same thing. I'm pretty sure Comcast offers HD programming as a seperate tier (at an additional charge).

You need to call your cable provider. I don't know of any TVs that can receive HD cable channels without anything being done by your cable provider. You would need at the very least a cablecard in order to descramble the broadcasts, but something tells me your TV does not have a cablecard slot, so you're going to need a cable box.

Vinny
07-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you're asking about HD stations through your cable provider. Many cable providers offer HD programming as a separate package.

Thanks for the reply but my question does not deal with HD stations or packages offered through my cable provider. The Samsung HD Tuner (DTB-H260F) (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-HD-Tuner-DTB-H260F/sem/rpsm/oid/164855/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do) is a stand alone HD tuner that I would be able to purchase from a local retail electronics store. My HDTV receives all my local channels in full HD quality over the air with no added cable box or antenna. I am trying to find out if the Samsung tuner will allow me to access other stations like ESPN that broadcast programing in HD.

dw2649
07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the reply but my question does not deal with HD stations or packages offered through my cable provider. The Samsung HD Tuner (DTB-H260F) (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-HD-Tuner-DTB-H260F/sem/rpsm/oid/164855/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do) is a stand alone HD tuner that I would be able to purchase from a local retail electronics store. My HDTV receives all my local channels in full HD quality over the air with no added cable box or antenna. I am trying to find out if the Samsung tuner will allow me to access other stations like ESPN that broadcast programing in HD.

I believe that in order to recieve the HD channels like ESPN you will have to get a HDTV Box or Cable Card (if your TV can support a cable card) supplied by your cable company. Also, you may have to subscribe to to a digital package. In my area the HD packages cost an addition $5.00 a month if you rent a cable box (we do) and $2.00 a month if you get a cable card. The only boxes that I know of that are sold directly to consumers that can pick up HD TV channels like espn are both from tivo. This one, a brand new model, costs $299.99 at circuit city:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TiVo-HD-DVR-TCD652160/sem/rpsm/oid/188555/catOid/-12883/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The other one costs $800.00

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TiVo-Series3-HD-Digital-Media-Recorder-TCD648250B/sem/rpsm/oid/159824/catOid/-12883/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

With both you'll have to rent 2 cable cards from the cable company.

The Samsung model you listed above most likely will not pickup the cable channels like ESPN HD.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Speedy1998
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Nope, HDTV tuners allow you to pick up only the HD signals that are in the air (sounds like your HDTV already has a tuner built in). Many of the early HDTVs did not have HDTV tuners built in, it was assumed that you were going to hook it up to a cable or Satelite box anyway and it kept the cost down.

Look into what your cable company offers as far as HDTV programming, if it is lacking look into Dishnetwork or Directv, both have HDTV offering, and in my opinion both are better than cable (at least the cable that is offered in Houston).

DizneyRox
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM
There's a reason why they call them local broadcast channels. They are local.

EPSN is NOT available over the air, it's a cable channel and only available with cable. As I mentioned, you will need at least some connection with your cable company for anything other than OTA broadcasts which you already get.

My suggestion would be to use the cable box provided by the cable company. It's a "small" rental fee that will cover the device for a lot longer (probably) than purchasing your own. Even if you purchase your own, you're going to need to rent a cablecard from your provider.

That's the only way that I know of to get HD programming beyond the OTA broadcasts.

Remember there is a difference between Digital and HD programming.

Vinny
07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
There's a reason why they call them local broadcast channels. They are local.

EPSN is NOT available over the air, it's a cable channel and only available with cable. As I mentioned, you will need at least some connection with your cable company for anything other than OTA broadcasts which you already get.

My suggestion would be to use the cable box provided by the cable company. It's a "small" rental fee that will cover the device for a lot longer (probably) than purchasing your own. Even if you purchase your own, you're going to need to rent a cablecard from your provider.

That's the only way that I know of to get HD programming beyond the OTA broadcasts.

Remember there is a difference between Digital and HD programming.

Thanks for the additional info. I think I am going to look into something like this.