PDA

View Full Version : anual passes

snowblack
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't know if there is a topic on this but does anyone out there have an anual pass? Is it worth having, and how much of a discount on room rates do you see? I am considering investing in one or more. Also How does it work when you purchase it, If I bought it in september is it good until the following september or do you have to get it in january and it is good until the following january?

Donalds Duckie
07-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey, snowblack!:mickey:

I live in Texas but I have an AP. If you purchase online you will receive an "Exchange Certificate" in the mail that you "activate" at Guest Services at any WDW park or DTD. The one year begins ticking off when you "activate" your AP, not when you purchase the "Exchange Certificate". Example, I purchased the Certificate for my current AP in Sept. 2006 but did not activate it until my trip to WDW May 25, 2007. Therefore, my AP will expire May 25, 2008.

It's difficult to know what one might save on room discounts with an AP. There were no AP rates available at CBR for my May 2007 trip so we went w/AAA discount. However, I did get an AP rate for my Labor Day 2007 trip. It all depends on whether AP rates are available during your travel dates and at the resort you select.

I believe APholders receive 10% discount on table service meals for lunch and dinner. However, I paid the $60 to purchase the Disney Dining Experience available to APholders and Florida residents. That give me 20% off food and beverage at table service restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

APholders also receive discounts for merchandise at World of Disney and select other DTD stores.

This being said, whether I buy an AP or not all depends on how many trips I will be making to WDW in a given year OR if I plan to take a second WDW vacation before my AP expires.

I'm certain that many other Intercotees with more AP experience will be along soon. This is only my 2nd WDW AP. My first was 2004-2005, now this AP in 2007-2008.

Maleficent's Dad
07-28-2007, 01:39 PM
AP discounts for rooms have been harder to come by over the past few years - Disney has given less and less of them. This is not to say that they won't, they just don't seem to be as bountiful as in the past. I wouldn't purchase it in hopes of a room discount any longer. This may have once been the case, and whereas there definitely are still good room discounts, they are not always available.

There are some discounts on food - and when a restaurant is discounted, it's usually food only, 10% off (very often for lunch only). But as stated above, you can buy the DDE with an AP - very good value for $60 or so.

The pass pays for itself in numerous ways, but the most obvious is in park entrance.

ibrowse17
07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
DW and I have AP's. We have them mainly because we spend enough days in Disney each year to warrent buying them. As far as discounts, we tend to us something like AAA more than an AP discount. We did get a DDE card, which pays for it's self rather quickly:thumbsup:

Not2Loud
07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
I think its worth it. This is my first year getting it. I redeemed the "exchange certificate" in Feb of this year. Other than the being able to go in as much as I want to whichever park I want, I have found it valuable.

On our Feb trip, we saved over $100 per night on the cabins. I went in June and got a room at Port Orleans for $143. I am going this Monday to Orlando for business, and thought, "Why not stay at Disney?" The rate was in the $139 per night. Definately within the normal range for me on a business trip. Plus instead of being bored Monday night at the hotel, I can go to the parks, or swim at the great pool at POFQ!

So, I have saved more than the $400 for the AP in room discounts this year and gotten the park usage. I am happy with it!

hrkingriz
07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
It depends on how many days you use it and what uo use it for. I get a 30% discount on golf for a foursome so thats 120 saved . Dinner is 10% off btu it allows you to buy the dinning card at adiscounted rate which gives you 20% off meals inccluding alcohol.