PDA

View Full Version : How many days in AK?

apequet
07-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Just wondering if I need to plan on more than one day @ Animal Kingdom? My kids are 6:princess: and 9:prince:....they both love zoo's, but we've been to many zoo's before. How much is there to see here? Will we need more than one day to see it all? I think we will try to see Nemo, but they are not big fan's of the Lion King, so if we miss this, I don't think they will care. Remember...kids are small, so I doubt they will be willing to go on any thrill rides like EE or Dinosaur. They even tell me that they are NEVER going on the Bug's Life ride again. (They went on this ride @ Disneyland when they where 6 & 3....BAD IDEA!! :covered::( ) This is their first visit to AK. Thanks for your help!

angel2931
07-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I would think 1 day is fine... I usually like to do 2 half days so I can see everything and enjoy my favorite rides and stuff twice!! But otherwise, I think you would be fine with 1 day. Enjoy!!

GhostHost999
07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I agree...one day should be plenty of time to see the essential stuff at the AK. Do yourself a favor though and don't miss "Flights of Wonder" a very good and very underrated show.

Jasper
07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Because of their ages I would also agree that 1 day is enough. I am curious about one thing though; you mention that you went on A Bug's Life "ride" at Disneyland. I have not seen the DL version of this so I am wondering if it is really a "ride" or is it a 3-D movie like the one at Disney World?

BelleBeauty
07-28-2007, 12:00 PM
AK used to be a 1/2 day park for us. We've upped it to two 1/2 days, just because we love EE and want to ride as many times as possible.

If your kids aren't into the big rides (EE, Dinosaur, etc.), I'm sure that one day will be fine. I hear that the parade is great, but we usually leave the park before the parade since it gets SO hot in AK.

markyv
07-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I also agree that one day will be enough. Make sure you hang around for the parade though. In my opinion, it is the best parade outside of spectromagic. I do however, think that you and your kids would enjoy the Lion King show. It is very energetic, and uses a lot of crowd participation. There is a lot going on in that show. I would suggest trying it. There are several show times a day, so find one that fits your schedule. It also offers a nice break from all the standing and walking around.

snifflesmcg
07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
On a 9 day trip, I only have one day planned in AK. IMO, it's just not that exciting of a park.

LoriMistress
07-28-2007, 05:12 PM
You can either do a one full day or two half days (mornings) for AK. DH and I are doing at least one full day and one half day at AK.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
07-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree - one day is enough. I also agree that The Lion King show is WONDERFUL!!! My kids are 8 and 4. They have been to WDW several times and this is not something we miss. It is very interactive. Lots of stunts and good music.
You may have to wait in line beforehand 30 minutes or so depending on what time of the year your traveling. Its worth it.:thumbsup:

apequet
07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
you mention that you went on A Bug's Life "ride" at Disneyland. I have not seen the DL version of this so I am wondering if it is really a "ride" or is it a 3-D movie like the one at Disney World?

Sorry....it's not a ride...it's the 3- D movie, but it scared the **** out my kids.

TheMartellFamily
07-28-2007, 06:18 PM
For us it is just one day. Or the option of two half days is there too. But we do not need more than that.

Mickey91
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
We can be done in 1/2 a day.

mttafire
07-29-2007, 12:12 AM
One day will be plenty. We usually do get to see it all be 4:30ish.:mickey:

jszczur5
07-29-2007, 12:32 AM
2 half days is perfect. In at opening, out by 1:00 p.m. This park is hot - hotter than the others. The temperature is unbearable by mid-afternoon. We don't find that there is a lot to do at this park, but the attractions that we do like, we really like. I can't really see spending two full days here though. But on our ten day trips, we find two mornings to be just right.

CuteAsMinnie
07-29-2007, 01:10 AM
I think one day is fine for AK. You should be able to hit everything you want to see. If you have a park hopper (which I highly recommend) you can always hop back to see a favorite or catch something you may have missed.:)

Maleficent's Dad
07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
The DCA version is the same as the AK version of "It's Tough to be a Bug."

The Lion King show is really great - regardless of the movie. It brings elements of the movie into the show, but it's really a high energy , liver performance show that entertains! It is one of our favorites to do at the AK.

Otherwise, we spend no more than 1/2 to 1 complete day at the AK.

princessjojo
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM
AK is most definitely a 1/2 day park. Our first time, we wandered around with no rhyme or reason and still say what we wanted to before the day ended. We usually make as much as we can out of 1 day, EE first thing, and again before we leave, then maybe come back again before we leave our vacation to hit the high spots again, EE, Kil. Safari, ect...

jenfriend
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
My princesses were 8,6,&2 when we went to AK. It was their least favorite park. There were some truly wonderful highlights though. Here is our don't miss list. Lion King Performance - THE BEST in all of WDW! Pochontas - decent live show especially if you have a princess of your own, Kilaminjaro Safaris - really cool and go in the morning, Dinosaur - 8 yo loved it and I thought it was good, rides in Dinosaurland, and Tree of Life - kids liked the "carvings." Although it wasn't open, I'd do the Everest Expedition.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-29-2007, 07:16 PM
We always do 1.5-2 days at AK. It used to be a 1/2 day park for us but, our family loves it now.

I also think you should try and see Festival Of The Lion King. It is amazing. My sons are 10 and 7 and they love it as much as their little sister. It is not an animated "baby" show like my boys thought it was going to be the first time we saw it. It is great and keeps kids of all ages entertained...especially me. ;) We see it at least twice a trip.

My kids do ride the big rides so that takes up some more time. One ride that your kids might like is the Kali River Rapids. Mine go on it over and over when there is no line. They do not like Dinosaur at all. Not that I can blame them. They are not thrilled with Its Tough To Be A Bug but, always ask to see it anyway. They also like taking the train over to Rafiki's Planet Watch. They eats up some time too.

You should plan at least 1/2 or a whole day there. I really think your family will enjoy it.

mainemajor
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Like so many others we opt for 2 half days. With the ages of your children that should be enough for them. One of my favorite things about AK is the wildlife everywhere in the park. Just walking along I'm always looking in the trees and waterways to see what is there.

apequet
07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you everyone! I think we will do 2 half days and hopefully, we'll get to see the Lion King! :mickey:

wedway76
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
For us it's definitely a 1/2 day park, however when my son was about 6 he spend almost an hour in The Boneyard, and probably could have stayed there all afternoon.

I think 1 full day gives you PLENTY of time to enjoy AK at a fairly leisurely pace.

Because we use WDW transportation, I wouldn't do it in 2 half days because the two extra bus trips could be a waste of several hours.

By the way, the “Bug’s Life” spooked the heck out of my son when he was 6 too. He is 14 now and still won’t go in a 3D show.

TheRustyScupper
07-29-2007, 09:30 PM
1) We have never been able to do more than 1/2 day at AK.
2) There just isn't that much there.
3) We find we can do a whole day at a zoo.
4) But, not Disney;s zoo.

NOTE: Yes, yes, I know. "not a zoo". But, in actuality, it pretty much is.