PDA

View Full Version : Park Opening Ceremonies - Do You Go, or is it Too Early?

DisneyJunkie
07-28-2007, 07:47 AM
As far as the opening ceremonies go for each of the WDW theme parks when they open for the day, what is each one like?

And also, are most of you able to get up that early to be there for them, or do you find yourselves not getting to the parks until you've had some sleep-in time?

Maleficent's Dad
07-28-2007, 08:13 AM
MK lets you inside the gates, but you wait just inside until the train pulls up - they do a cute ceremony with characters and a specially chosen family to open the park - then it's the "mad dash" to the rides - people walking quickly down Main Street, USA.

EPCOT (usually I'm entering from Int'l Gateway, so there's nothing special there) on last visit let people in through the gates and stopped everyone at Innoventions. Then there was a long, large parade of people at the rope drop heading to Soarin'. No special ceremonies.

MGM - let you in and can walk down the main street until you get to the first intersection where there's a rope - at the drop, the majority of people head to TOT and RNRC. No special ceremonies.

AK - allow you into the gate, people gather at the end of the Oasis. There's a show to open the park and characters make an appearance, starring Mickey, of course. At the rope drop, most head to EE. Good ceremony, but not as elaborate as MK.

At least these are what I've experienced! :mickey:

luvdiznee
07-28-2007, 08:20 AM
We haven't made it yet. But it is because of my "travel party" not getting up. :thedolls:I don't have too much of a problem getting up. I geuss I just may have to attend on my own if I want to do it. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
07-28-2007, 08:21 AM
I like the AK the best. They do a show with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto & Goofy called "The Adventure Begins".

I've been to Epcot for park openning, but it was just a rope drop. No show or anything.

MGM was some street performers while waiting.

If you do get there at park openning, you will be able to get a couple of atrctions in pretty quickly. We like to get up and out a few times on our trips, but definately not every day.

disneymom15
07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
It's usually to early for all of us to be up. I went to MK on my solo trip last May. We're going to try to catch one of the openings this Oct,

BelleBeauty
07-28-2007, 09:58 AM
We always try to hit one park early, however our goal is not to make it there in time for the show. I have seen the MK show, when we had to wait in front of the train station for the park to open. It is very cute.

I enjoy AK's opening ceremony more. It certainly seemed more elaborate to me, with the characters talking, recorded music, and incorporating "awakening the spirits around you." It is entirely too crowded on the bridge from the Oasis to the Tree of Life, you are packed like sardines. Then the rope drops and everyone splits, half heading to KJS and half heading to E:E.

BritCody
07-28-2007, 10:25 AM
We get up early everyday we go to the parks and we are always one of the first to enter. As for the Pre-shows. I like the MK the best. I likethe characters coming in on the train.

alilprincessmom
07-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, in all of my trips I have only made it to one park opening and that was at MK! The show they do is very cute, and it gets you excited for the day! When we are on vacation, that is what we are there for, vacation, so we don't get up at the crack of dawn!

Mickey91
07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
We always try to make it to MK but don't always make it. Have never been to any of the others.

tinksmom02
07-28-2007, 08:48 PM
I voted for never seeing the park openings, but it's not really because we sleep in. It's more because for some reason we just never seem to get there right on time! We have all the best intentions, it just never seems to work out. Will try to fix that in Sept. I plan to be at MK for Magical Beginnings at 8am. BUT, they probably won't do the opening ceremony that day, huh? :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
07-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd much rather sleep in and get that extra hour in then watch the opening cermonies. Never have seen them and probably won't unless I want to get to a new attraction as soon as the parks open. Too much of a night person than a morning one.

snifflesmcg
07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I've only ever seen the AK opening ceremony. I usually sleep too late to get to the parks. This trip we are going to try to see MK's. Besides, I didn't think Epcot or MGM had any type of ceremony.

Polynesian Dweller
07-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm on vacation. I'm getting as much morning sleep time as I can get. :alarm:

CosmicRay
07-28-2007, 11:05 PM
We get up early and get to MK, Epcot and MGM before the parks open. We love to be there when the parks open, in the past, MGM and AK are done on the same days so we've never gone to AK first thing. After the first 3 days of the parks, the last few days we sleep in late and slow down a bit!

CuteAsMinnie
07-29-2007, 01:16 AM
In all our visits, we've never made it to the opening ceremonies. However once during EMH hours, there was a rope at the end of Cinderella's Castle (and probably at the entrance of other lands as well) No special ceremony tho... the cast members just dropped the rope and we RAN to Pooh!!:)

SpecJoe Magic
07-29-2007, 06:28 AM
We've been at all four parks at opening during the same trip. It's nice to be able to experience several attractions within the first hour or two with very little wait. However, that's not something that we want to do on every trip. There are several factors to consider when deciding on whether or not to go to a park at opening such as how late we were out the night before and if we've already been to that particular park on a different day of the same trip. So, it's one of those decisions that we make once we are there based on circumstances because we believe that a fun trip can be had either way.

dolphinmickey9170
07-29-2007, 10:29 AM
We like to see the openings, it brings the magic even closer.

Jared
07-29-2007, 10:43 AM
My family always arrives to the parks between 9 and 9:20 a.m. We are all morning people and the attractions are empty until 11 a.m., even in the busy season.

Because we usually stay at the Polynesian or Contemporary, we always see the opening ceremony at the Magic Kingdom. Sometimes we catch the one at Epcot, too. Rarely do we arrive at the Disney-MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom before 9.

:)

okw2006
07-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I would have to go by myself. My wife does not get in any hurry when we are on vacation.:D

wedway76
07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I would have to go by myself. My wife does not get in any hurry when we are on vacation.:D

Same here! I wake up at 6:30 every day whether I’m at home or on vacation. DW and DS can't get up early. I usually make a trip to the food court for coffee or start a load of laundry before they open their eyes. We are much more likely to close a park than open it.

jszczur5
07-29-2007, 04:48 PM
We have never made it to a park opening. We're not the type to show up hours late, but we usually straggle in within the first hour. This year, I plan to make it to at least one opening. Which one would everyone suggest? My gut feeling is MK.