PDA

View Full Version : Salads ?? Whose is the best?

Lucyrella
07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Everyone, I was wondering who has the best salads in and around Disney? I have been doing Weight Watchers and have lost 20 pounds and do not intend to surcome to temptation while I am vacationing. So for the lighter fare meal, and I do love salads especially when it is hot, where is the place to go? I have ADR's at Chef Mickey's, Ohana's, Crystal Palace, and then we are just winging it the rest of the trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:eat:

wdwvacationeer
07-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Flame Tree Barbecue in Animal Kingdom actually has a very good salad, my oldest daughter had it last year and really liked it. It is called the Mixed Green Salad with BBQ Chicken. You can get it with or without the chicken. It is not a real heavy salad, the dressing is a balsamic vinaigrette and the chicken is grilled. Good Luck!:mickey:

Mickey 101
07-28-2007, 02:28 AM
The Cobb Salad at Hollywood Brown Derby is excellent!

Maleficent's Dad
07-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Although I agree that the Cobb Salad at BD is tops, it's not Weight Watchers "friendly!" It has eggs, bacon, avacodos... :tasty:

If you make it over to the BW area, the Blackened Mahi Mahi salad at Big River Grille is quite good and not as heavy.

Most places in WDW now have "healthier" options - although those not-so-healthy alternatives are a mighty tasty! :eat:

sleepingbooty
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I love the Kit Carson grilled chicken salad at Pecos Bills - the lime vinaigrette dressing is wonderful!

kathiep
07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
:congrats:

First of all, a great big congrats for your weight loss. I just recently joined and have lost 10 lbs so far.

I've been worrying about my upcoming trip as well. I do want to enjoy myself but I have no intention of falling of the wagon.

For cs, I remember a great salad at Columbia Harbor House.

playdead88
07-28-2007, 01:10 PM
my husband also has changed eating habits over the past year and i have to say disney is great in that they offer so many choices for better eating - not just salads there are veggie burgers and carrots vs fries and smoothies vs. milkshakes not to mention you can always find a fruit cup for a snack - epcot had a cart in front of the fountian with the best cup of watermelon i have ever had!! congrats on your weight loss!! have a great vacation :mickey:

tinkerbell04
07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
:mickey:I like to have salads for lunch since we usually eat bigger dinners. Here are some that I have enjoyed:

1. Earl of Sandwich-You can add what you want to them and then they mix it all up for you.

2. Wolfgang express cafe: Great BBQ chicken salad.

3. Grilled Chicken Ceasar salads at Sunshine seasons and pizzafari.

Have a great trip!

garymacd
07-29-2007, 12:20 PM
We love the taco salad at El Perico e Pirata. Not exactly Weight Watcher friendly, but tasty.

Lucyrella
07-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks everybody for the congrats and great ideas..... I love the Earl of Sandwich idea, that sounds like a must do.:thumbsup:

miasmom
07-29-2007, 05:41 PM
A diet-friendly salad is the greek salad at Pizza Planet at MGM. Just eat it without the dressing and it is great.

SurferStitch
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
The Plaza Restaurant at the MK has a delicious strawberry and chicken salad. Pretty light, but you have to remember, most of the salads have regular dressings (not low fat), have cheese, sometimes nuts, etc. Chances are, many salads have at least 20 grams of fat or more.

Unless you're eating lean chicken, fat free or low fat dressing, low fat cheese or no cheese at all, no croutons, then you're not exactly eating a "healthy" salad. Just because something has a vinaigrette dressing, doesn't mean it's low fat....I just saw that the vinaigrette dressing at Panera has 18 grams of fat per 2 tablespoons, and I almost fell over!

With that said, as long as you do plenty of walking (which is bound to happen), you can really eat what you like and not gain weight. I never gain weight on vacation, and I eat everything I want (not 3 big meals a day, but 3 meals and a snack here and there). I also just lost about 7 pounds (with more to shed), and I know I'll be eating what I want in December at WDW.

BethieTink
07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
First off, let me say Congrats on the weight loss. I have been a member of Weight Watchers since March of 2006 and lost 70 pounds so far. Less than 5 to go till I hit my goal. I have been to Disney twice since joining WW and I always have eaten what I want when down there. Both times I have come back only had gained a pound or two. I find that most salads (unless made at home) are not even close to being the healthiest options. The dressings are full fat and they are full of tasty ingredients (cheese, bacon, etc.) that make them just as bad, if not worse, than a grilled chicken sandwich. With all the walking you do, it should all even out. Good luck and congrats again.

WeWantTheRedHead
07-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi,I just lost weight with Jenny Craig.I met my goal and we go to disney next week.My family loves to eat.:thedolls:Their middle names are food.I plan to bring my own salad dressing and diet snacks so I don't get tempted.It is hard to be strong when hungry. I am sure weight watchers has "stuff" you can bring with you.Jenny Craig has travel food and I have become an expert adding safe stuff to salads.Good luck I will see you at the salad bar:congrats:

LibertyTreeGal
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Well, the best in my book is the Colony Salad at LTT -- but it isn't very diet friendly with the candied pecans, cheese and bacon

On a side note, I have recently been having blood pressure issues and found that by developing a taste for straight balsamic vinegar, I was able to eliminate most salt AND salad dressing fat from my diet :)

Here we go again...
07-31-2007, 01:02 AM
I can't believe that no one mentioned the Galley salad at Harbor House in Magic Kingdom!
This is such a tasty salad! It had pineapple in it so it has a sweet flavor (which I never thought I would like) and is delicious! Order your dressing on the side.

I am on Weight Watchers and went to Disney World June 29th through July 8th then spent 3 days in Destin. I missed 2 weigh ins so I was really worried. Imagine my surprise when I went to my meeting and found that I lost 6 pounds!!!

You will find it much easier to make healthier choices now. We were on the dining plan and I still did not over eat. I did not eat a single burger or french fry while I was there.
I ate lots of fish, and soups. (Columbia Harbor House has a creat clam chowder too!) There are so many different choices that you should not limit yourself to salads, you will get bored really fast.
Just remember to stop when you start to feel full and drink lots of water.

And, for the record, I was in a scooter 99% of the time due to knee replacement and still lost weight. If I could do it, you can do it! :thumbsup:

DisneyAndRedSox
07-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Congrats on your weight loss! Last time I was on WW and went to Disney I had a hard time keeping points but with all of the walking I didn't gain! When we go back in Jan we are going to wear a pedometer to see how much we actually walk!

My Mom and I love 'Sunshine Seasons' counter service at The Land in Epcot. They have grilled salmon, caesar salad with chicken, seared tuna on mixed greens, and everything is made to order and you can ask for dressings on the side, etc... Good luck!

dog-ears
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
I really like the China Island Chicken Salad at the Rainforest Cafe. Both locations (DD & AK) have it. It's got grilled chicken, potato sticks, toasted sesame seeds & scallions with the greens and an Asian soy-gingery type dressing.

WelshieLover
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
The Beef Teriyaki Salad at the Kona Cafe in the Poly is very good. I don't know what it would be in points. I know there is cheese in it, but it is really tasty and you could always ask them to hold the cheese.:thumbsup:

RockChalkKimball
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Wolfgang Puck Express has a wonderful Sezchuan (sp?) Chicken Salad. Also, the buffets that you have planned all have lots of choices. Most have a good selection of salads, veggies, fruits,etc. and most also have a baked fish choice. All of the food is wonderful, even the stuff that is good for you!

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 04:29 AM
Last year we had a chef's salad at Plaza with a raspberry vinagrette dressing. It was sooooo yummy!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey Everyone, I was wondering who has the best salads in and around Disney? I have been doing Weight Watchers and have lost 20 pounds and do not intend to surcome to temptation while I am vacationing. So for the lighter fare meal, and I do love salads especially when it is hot, where is the place to go? I have ADR's at Chef Mickey's, Ohana's, Crystal Palace, and then we are just winging it the rest of the trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:eat:
I lost 58 lbs this year on Weight Watchers. My leader suggests switching to the Flex Plan for vacations because you don't have to count points. Of course, that would count out any dressing on any salad you eat. The good news is that you can eat all the grilled meat you want, just have them hold any gravies or sauces. Even if you gain 1-2 lbs while on vacation just get back on the plan immediately upon returning and you should be okay.

Jared
11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Has anyone suggested trying Sunshine Seasons? The salad station offers a few selections all made to order. I especially like the one with the seared tuna on mixed greens.

:tasty:

KarenP
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I like the beef teriyaki salad at Kona Cafe. The salad with the honey lime dressing at 'Ohana is excellent too.

Cinderelley
11-07-2007, 02:08 AM
My favorite salad is at LTT. 2nd favorite is at O'hana's.

azdisneymom
11-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Way to go! I love the BBQ chicken salad at Flame Tree but don't know if it would be considered good under the WW plan. I would just say two words - portion control. You are obviously good at it so keep it up while touring disney.

tomorrowschild
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Congrats on the weight loss! That is awsome. I lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers about 4 years ago.
I agree with the posters who have said that all the walking you do really helps you not put on weight while at WDW. Whenever I go I don't worry about gaining weight. I eat what I want (and I do mean what I want- burger, brownie....). All the walking keeps it off. I have even lost 1-2 pounds from time to time at WDW.
If you order a salad at one of the parks make sure you ask for dressing on the side (which I am sure you already do). Disney pours sooo much dressing on.

Samtastic
11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
While I agree with most of the posters that unless modified the salads served are not exactly healthy, sometimes it's nice to know you're eating your veggies! I plan ordering the salad from Columbia Harbor house when I go down--it looks yummy! But being on vacation, and the tons of physical activity, I say eat a few salads, but if you really want a burger--go for it! Last time I tried to be healthy (i've lost 40 lbs on weight watchers and kept most of it for 2 years now (my body is more comfortable about 125 than 120 but it fluxuates), anyway, I was at 50s PTC and order the vegetarian stuffed pepper, while my BF ordered the fried chicken. Well I've been craving that chicken for a year now and when I go back in January, you can bet I'm going for it! I lost 5 lbs over that trip, but this time I'm eating what I want and if I gain, I gain. I've lost it once and I know I can again.

But good luck with whatever choices you make. As my nutrtion professor says: Eat healthy only 90% of the time, and for the other 10% don't feel guilty!