PDA

View Full Version : 50's Prime Time or Mama Melrose's

pooh0601
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Which one would you pick and why???

I've never eaten at either and we are trying to decide on which one of these to try.

Jeff
07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
IMHO:
The food is better at MamaMel's.

The atmosphere is very cool at 50's.

I would go to the 50's just for the atmosphere and fun of it.

okw2006
07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
You have to go to 50's prime time at least once. It's a great place to have fun and the food ain't bad either.:thumbsup:

LoriMistress
07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
50's Primetime Cafe. I love their food. They have the best friend chicken ever! And their mash potatoes where amazing!

GrmGrninGost
07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
50's Prime Time for me!! :mickey: The food and the atmosphere are awesome! I love this place!! :thumbsup:

Mickey91
07-26-2007, 11:58 PM
If you have a sense of fun, definitely 50's Prime Time! We love it there!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-27-2007, 12:40 AM
My vote goes to 50's Diner as well. When I ate at Mama Melrose, it was.....ok. Nothing great but it was our least favorite of the trip. Don't get me wrong, it was still ok but not as great as other places. I think it's because the menu is a tad limited (I would have liked some sort of either Stuffed shells or lasagna type food, it is Italian correct?).

DDuck66
07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
50's PT is a must. Make sure that you tell the hostess that you want a waiter that will play. You can request our favorite, "Sister Jamie", if you do not mind waiting. I think the food there is some of the best at MGM and (IMHO) it is far better than MM.

SBETigg
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I would not pick 50s Prime Time. I know a lot of people think it is fun interaction, but I would be annoyed to be pestered during my meal. I can go to my grandmother's for that any day of the week. And it still looks like the 50s there, too. :blush:

Mickey'sGirl
07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd go to the Sci-Fi. :D

Wrigley
07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I have never eaten at Mama Melrose's, but I have eaten at 50's Prime Time. We had alot of fun eating there. Everyone in our party really liked the food and the atmosphere is alot of fun! I ordered the meatloaf and it was wonderful! The waitresses are alot of fun-they make sure you don't put your elbows on the table and that you finish everything on your plate, or at least try everything. I highly recommend 50's Prime Time!!!:thumbsup:

EmmMOM2
07-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Even if you dont go for the food (which is great) go for the atmoshpere at 50s primetime. The waitress's are a hoot. Kids will be sure to enjoy this resturaunt as well.

comicguy
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
After eating at both, I would suggest 50's primetime hands down.

Mama's: out of the 3 of us there was only one good meal. Plus the waiter was rude and arrogant. The atmosphere was good so I can't complain about that.

50's: Good home cooking food, Fun wait staff, Great atmoshpere.

mdrob214
07-30-2007, 09:02 PM
on the last trip. MM-F! package and 50's for lunch. We're forgoing the F! pkg this time for an early dinner @ 50's. We really liked the food there (comfort food: meatloaf, chicken dinner, etc) and Aunt Sue was a hoot! She got my DH to eat DD's green beans before he could have any dessert (DD & I snuck them onto his plate right before she came to clear the dishes!) We thought MM's was ok, but the F! pkg. was limited. Enjoy!
:mickey:

Here we go again...
07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
My vote goes to 50's Diner as well. When I ate at Mama Melrose, it was.....ok. Nothing great but it was our least favorite of the trip. Don't get me wrong, it was still ok but not as great as other places. I think it's because the menu is a tad limited (I would have liked some sort of either Stuffed shells or lasagna type food, it is Italian correct?).
I agree. We ate at MM for the first time in early July and thought it was just okay... we have always had good meals at 50's Prime Time.

I would not pick 50s Prime Time. I know a lot of people think it is fun interaction, but I would be annoyed to be pestered during my meal. I can go to my grandmother's for that any day of the week. And it still looks like the 50s there, too. :blush:

Have you ever been to 50's? They seem to do a very good job of figuring out who will play along and who will not. They do not make any one do any thing they do not want to do. It is all good clean fun.... no pestering.

Rhetoric2000
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I would rather eat at Hollywood and Vine or the Brown Derby than either to be honest.

If you're sticking with those two as options then, as implied above - the food is better at MM but the atmsphere at 50s is unique and worth one visit.

However, 50s has been the location of one of only two meals on Disney property that I would describe as "very poor". (Other being ESPN). Mamma Melrose is basically just fine.

SBETigg
07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Have you ever been to 50's? They seem to do a very good job of figuring out who will play along and who will not. They do not make any one do any thing they do not want to do. It is all good clean fun.... no pestering.

No, I haven't been. It's not my kind if place.

If you're not going to play along and enjoy the interaction, why bother? Good home cooking? I make that at home. I prefer more creative cuisine when I dine in restaurants. Plus, I have been inside 50s Prime Time briefly and it really does not appeal to me. But I know it has it's fans and that's fantastic. Something for everyone at WDW. This one's not for me. But thanks for trying to reassure me if I ever decide to give it a go.

poeticeclipse
07-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I've tried both within the last few months. 50's Prime Time was always one of my favorites at WDW. Still is! You really can't beat how fun they make it. If you're not into the spectacle of it all... don't go. You'll just find it odd. I witnessed a mother/daughter duo who didn't enjoy the comedy of it all. That just puts the waitress/waiter in a pickle because they need to do their job and play the spectacle up. If you're not into it... it's makes it that much harder on them. 50's Prime Time doesn't have "gourmet" food.... your basic stuff. Still decent.

Mama Melrose was a first for us in May. WONDERFUL! Loved it! Yum yum yum. The atmosphere is nice and it is a change of pace to just feel like you're the only two in the place. I really enjoy it. Pictures online of the restaurant make it look run down and old. I should have taken really decent ones to show how nice it is inside.

I have both of my reviews posted somewhere in the Dining Thread. Just click on my name and research what threads i've started. It's there somewhere!

Jared
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
If you have never eaten at 50's Prime Time Cafe, try it. Everybody should experience the restaurant once. The food is only decent, but the atmosphere is unique and fun. Think of the restaurant as an attraction itself.

Reviews for Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano are always mixed. I ate there in January and May and had great experiences both times. The food isn't incredible, but it is standard Italian fare. It;s usually easy to secure a table, too.

Good luck!

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd choose Mama's just cuz the food is better and quieter.