PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair parking?

dteed
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
To my DW's dismay she may have to use a chair for a portion of our trip. She was in an accident and damaged most of her miniscus which keeps bone from rubbing on bone in her knee. Do I park it like a stroller or does each ride keep it near the exit? We are leaving tomorrow 6p.m. for a Sat a.m. arrival.

MMouse6937
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
When my MIL was in a wheelchair a couple years ago when we went, I also thought that we had to park out by the strollers and did quite a few times with no problem. I also realized quickly that a lot of the queue areas accomodate wheelchairs or ECVs and you can go right up to the load on area with it. Once you transfer into the ride car, a CM will move your wheelchair to the exit so you can use it when you get off. Either check the signs at the front of the attraction or ask a CM if she has to get out before getting in line or if she can use the wheelchair up until the end. Have so much fun!! :thumbsup:

wdw_bound
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
You do not have to park a wheelchair. Many attractions are accessible, meaning your wife can stay in the chair through the entire queue, and then transfer to the ride (if it is a show, she can stay in the chair and be seated with you in the handicapped seating area). Some rides have a seperate entrance, but, again, your wife will be able to stay in her chair until transferring to the ride. For example, Splash Mountain has stairs in the regular queue, so there is a seperately marked entrance. If you don't see a sign directing you to a wheelchair entrance, it is generally safe to assume that the queue is accessible, but you can always check with a CM.

Additionally, if you stop by Guest Services when you enter the park, they should have a disabilities guide for you.

Have a great trip!

K8screen
07-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I seem to remember that wheelchair guests used to get on rides quicker, with their parties, but this last trip that did not seem to be the case, although I may be wrong on both or either fact. It also seemed that there were far fewer wheelchairs. Have Disney had to remove the handicapped privileges due to misuse? If so it is very sad for genuine cases. But perhaps I am wrong. I hope so.