PDA

View Full Version : Interview Thank You leter

mamacon67
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
After a long absence from corporate America, I am trying to find a job. Yesterday, I had a great interview with a company that I would love to get on with. I am putting together a thank you letter, but am not sure if I should snail mail it or email. It's been so long since I have had to go through these steps, I am not sure what is proper. I would hate to make a mistake that would cost me this position. What seems to be the standard?

merlinmagic4
07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I think I would definitely use snail mail if there is time. I don't know.......there's something impersonal about email (even though I prefer it and use it ALL the time!). I think a handwritten, mailed letter would make more impact. Then again, I have been out of the professional workforce for 11 years so am WAAAAAAY out of touch. Anyhow, good luck :)

ChipDale
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd go with an e-mail. My boss gets follow-up e-mails all the time from candidates. I don't think anyone snail-mails letters anymore!

mook3y
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree, E-mail is a readily accepted form of communication for follow up correspondence.

So long as the e-mail is written formally, no misspellings, slang, etc.

Lynn J Mc
07-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I am an HR manager. Send the letter snail mail if you have the time. You never know what kind of programs a person has installed to filter their email. I only check my filtered email every couple of days. I check the mail when it is put in my hand. Call me old-fashioned. It takes more effort to send the snail mail and I think it is worth it. Good luck on the new job!

DisneyDog
07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
If you are really enthusiastic about the position and want to let them know right away, I would email the thank you. My DH was an executive recruiter and always recommended an immediate thank you email.

I would hate for someone else to be interviewed, have them email a thank you note and you snail-mailed yours (theirs would arrive before yours), and have their efficiency be what the hiring authority remembers.

princessjojo
07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I'd do snail if you had the time. Though I love e-mail and it's so widely accepted in today's corporate world, there is something more "pleasing" about the actual written word. I was told that when you actually take time to put your appreciation on paper, there is an underlying message of sincerity, maybe because you took time to do it, not just peck it out. The same as with thank you notes for gifts.

Then again, I still love tradition, too. Emily Post and I would get along great.

offwego
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
One way to "split the difference" is to do a "real" letter but hand deliver it to the reception area if there is one.

Thus getting all the "traditional" bang for ones efforts and not worrying about the time lag a great deal. Of course if it's not near you that's a different story.

And if possible nice personal stationary can make an impact (not flowery but a simple heavy cream with say a monogram or similiar)

mook3y
07-27-2007, 09:14 AM
And if possible nice personal stationary can make an impact (not flowery but a simple heavy cream with say a monogram or similiar)

Yes, if you take the time to write a letter and then mail or walk it in, take the extra step to go to Kinko's or some other copy center and get "resume" paper to print it on.

It should not be wild paper. But it should be thicker stock. I recently took a business communications class and was required to submit a resume on "resume" paper.

I walked into Kinko's asked if they had resume paper and was handed a book to choose which color/type I wanted. It's very cheap.