PDA

View Full Version : Disney Bans Smoking in Films

Scar
07-26-2007, 07:58 AM

Disney-branded films to ban depictions of smoking

By Gina Keating
Jul 25, 2007

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying tobacco use would be off-limits in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and "discouraged" in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.

Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger also said in a letter to U.S. Rep. Edward Markey, whose committee last month held hearings on the effects of movie images on children, that the studio would place anti-smoking public service announcements on DVDs of any future films that feature cigarette smoking.

He said the company would encourage theater owners to screen anti-smoking public service announcements, or PSAs, before such films.

Iger cautioned that "cigarette smoking is a unique problem and this PSA effort is not a precedent for any other issue."

Markey described Disney's commitment as "groundbreaking" and urged other studios to follow suit.

Dr. Cheryl Healton, president and CEO of the American Legacy Foundation, commended Disney's move but said the studio left "some ambiguity about what would happen in relation to Touchstone and Miramax."

Research cited by American Legacy, a nonprofit created from landmark litigation between the tobacco industry and states attorneys general, children with the highest exposure to smoking in movies were nearly three times more likely to start smoking.

Tobacco is featured in three-quarters of G, PG and PG-13 rated movies and 90 percent of R-rated movies, the studies showed.

Seth Oster, executive vice president of the Motion Picture Association of America, said the move to marginalize smoking in movies "very clearly demonstrates the film industry is committed to playing a role in reducing the impact of tobacco on kids in this country."

The Weinstein Co., an independent film production company, is using PSAs produced by American Legacy ahead of its films that depict smoking, Healton said.

Universal Studios, owned by General Electric, said in April that it would reduce the portrayal of smoking in films rated for PG-13 and younger audiences. No such films have been produced since the statement.

"We feel it's important to use our influence to help stem a serious health problem in the United States and around the world," said Ron Meyer, president and chief operating officer of Universal Studios. "We believe it's possible to do that while respecting filmmakers' creative choices and we are committed to partnering with them in this effort."

Fantasmic
07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Great news! Never a good idea to portray smoking in films imho

gauvin4
07-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Kudos to Disney for leading the way!:thumbsup: Now lets just hope that the others follow suit.

DessertDivaFL
07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Kudos to Disney for leading the way!:thumbsup: Now lets just hope that the others follow suit.

My feelings too! Way to go Disney! :joy:

Figment!
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
:cop: Moderator Reminder :cop:

Just a friendly reminder to keep posts in relation to the posted topic and not smoking in general.

In case it is not clear the topic is:

Disney removing the image of smoking from its Disney branded motion pictures.

Consider this post a warning.

Any posts that discuss smoking in general, rather than the topic at hand will be removed at the Staff's discretion.

Thank you

INTERCOT News Staff

SurferStitch
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Uh-oh!

What will Cruella do now? I guess that means she won't be able to hold her cigarette during meet and greets, too. Oh well, at least I have one great pic of the classic Cruella getup.

Personally, I don't care either way what Disney does. As long as they put out good movies, I couldn't care less if they do or don't show smoking. It's not something I ever even noticed in movies anyway.

Brer Robert
07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Uh-oh!

What will Cruella do now? I guess that means she won't be able to hold her cigarette during meet and greets, too. Oh well, at least I have one great pic of the classic Cruella getup.

Personally, I don't care either way what Disney does. As long as they put out good movies, I couldn't care less if they do or don't show smoking. It's not something I ever even noticed in movies anyway.

I kinda agree with you. Smoking is prominently featured in "Pinocchio", "Newsies", and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I'm just a little worried over how this new ban may affect these Disney classics. But still, I definitely commend their efforts in the war against tobacco.

BrerEmma
07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
This is a great leap forward.:mickey:

Scar
07-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Smoking is prominently featured in "Pinocchio", "Newsies", and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I'm just a little worried over how this new ban may affect these Disney classics.I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that it is only new movies that will not feature smoking. The old movies will just have PSA's on the DVD.

CU Tiger
07-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I applaud Disney for this! :clappy: It is amazing what kids pick up and try to emulate in movies. What is the purpose of showing smoking anyway? :confused: I know it is everywhere in society, but why glamorize it or condone it? I feel Disney is showing great judgment on the content of their movies and gives me more reason to support them with my movie going dollars. :thumbsup::mickey:

CleveSJM
07-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Very good decision DIS. Bought some more stock on this news. One less lawsuit risk for the future!

:thumbsup: :party: :thumbsup:

Horizon93
07-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Great move!

SBETigg
07-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm really surprised that they hadn't done so by now.

SurferStitch
07-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I know it is everywhere in society, but why glamorize it or condone it?

Actually, if you look at a lot of movies (other than more adult oriented movies like dramas and action films), it was usually the villain of the movie who smoked, not the good guy. So, if anything, smoking was vilified, not glorified.

Plus, villains are allowed to kill (or try to kill), lie, deceive, and generally do things we would never want children to do, yet that's okay because they're villains.

Just an observation. :blush:

Frog
07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
i also noticed that the movies i can think of all have the villan smoking... bad old villans...
exception would be pinochio...

Still think it is a cool idea to be aplauded!

sly1
07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Great news! I can't imagine how many smokers there are now thanks to seeing smoking in movies when they were younger. LOL

Ian
07-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Personally, I think smoking is rapidly becoming a thing of the past within the general public. Ergo, shouldn't films follow suit?

I think this is a great idea ... a long time coming ... kudos, Disney!

mttafire
07-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Personally, I think smoking is rapidly becoming a thing of the past within the general public. Ergo, shouldn't films follow suit?

I think this is a great idea ... a long time coming ... kudos, Disney!
Yep..

BrerSchultzy
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
and from a business standpoint, this REALLY puts Disney back out there in the forefront of "Family Entertainment". I don't know how effective this move will be in curtailing youth smoking (hopefully very), but Disney is getting "Media Cred" back...and from some unusual places. Marketing blogs, corporate blogs, non-profit blogs and many others have picked up on this, and are applauding Disney for making this step.

Looks like Iger may be turning things around like we had all hoped he would!

HooksLeftHand
07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
i also noticed that the movies i can think of all have the villan smoking... bad old villans...
exception would be pinochio...

Another exception was Pecos Bill in "Melody Time." Although when Disney re-released that one, they digitally removed all the shots of Bill's cigarettes, resulting in some awkward-looking motions and expressions. It looked ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of tampering with the old films, but I doubt I'll notice the lack of smoking in any new ones. Then again, if I was a filmmaker and could think of a really good reason to show a character smoking (like, say, a biography of Walt Disney, who died of lung cancer due to his chain-smoking), I'd hate to be told I couldn't do it just because it's a Disney film.

I don't think just not depicting smoking makes too much of a difference either way (although I certainly understand not GLAMORIZING smoking). I'm with BrerSchultzy in thinking this is more a media/public relations move than anything else.

Frog
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
As I reflect on this topic a little, I am remembering reading somwhere that there is a picture of Walt somewhere in the park that use to have him holding a cigarette. It was airbrushed out later, but if you look closely (supposedly) you can still see smoke filtering up...
I want to say it was in the Conductor's lounge under the train station.
Anyone know of this, or was I just dreaming...

SurferStitch
08-01-2007, 01:11 PM
As I reflect on this topic a little, I am remembering reading somwhere that there is a picture of Walt somewhere in the park that use to have him holding a cigarette. It was airbrushed out later, but if you look closely (supposedly) you can still see smoke filtering up...
I want to say it was in the Conductor's lounge under the train station.
Anyone know of this, or was I just dreaming...

I know they removed the cigarette from Walt's hand in the large picture of Walt outside the main theater on the cruise ships. It's that large wall between the entrances that's covered with the picture.

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm just gonna say it's about time.