PDA

View Full Version : Standing in line for Shows Question

Sneaky Pete
07-26-2007, 01:56 AM
What's the acceptable protocol for saving places in line? For example, if you are a family of 6 and wish to see the Nemo Musical, is it acceptable for the DD and maybe one child to stand in line for 30 - 45 minutes and save spots for 4 other family members or does the entire family of 6 have to stand in line.

Just wondering because I have 4 young children and standing in line with them for 30-45 minutes would not be pretty.

snifflesmcg
07-26-2007, 02:20 AM
I personally don't like anyone saving any spots in any line. Can you imagine looking at a line and seeing 20 people but then every single one of those people was saving a place for 4 people each? The line would explode and how fair would that be to those who stood there patiently? I would just make sure you take advantage of Fastpass as much as possible.

DonaldDuck1117
07-26-2007, 03:00 AM
I agree, I cannot stand ANYONE saving a spot in line for ANYONE. I don't care if they are saving the spot for a 70 year old or a 4 year old, if you are not in line, go to the end.

tadshome
07-26-2007, 03:06 AM
I agree, it is not acceptable for people to "save" places.

dizneeat
07-26-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't think place saving is okay.

Since this is a family place most of the people would have children with them. Now imagine, your DD standing in line for 40 minutes and everyone in front of her would have 5 people coming into the line. You would NOT be happy with that, neither are the other people waiting in line behind you!!

BigRedDad
07-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I agree. Holding places is not something I think is ok. If someone left the line to get a drink or go to the restroom, I think that is ok. But holding a place for others that are going to other rides, etc is not good.

mrp4352
07-26-2007, 07:24 AM
The nice thing about that queue is that it's wide and roomy! And I would hope no one would mind if you walked one child a little bit outside the queue, as long as you made it very obvious you were with people in line. It is hard for little ones to wait that long, especially when the line just flat doesn't move...

irish1967
07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree - this is an absolute no-no! Just wait until you are waiting in line and a family in front of you does this to you :mad:

But, there are a lot of things you can do to help the wait go faster. My kids are older now and have been several times so we spend the time in line talking about the ride and what we really like about it, what we don't, what changes we would make, etc. We also plan what to do next. We also play 20 questions and "I spy"

Good Luck!

princessjojo
07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree, with the only exception if one of those children had to use the restroom. But at that point you would have been in line anyways and those around you would more than likely, at some point, heard a child say "I gotta go..." That would be the only time I would feel it would be ok.

Fantasmic
07-26-2007, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't mind if you all joined the queue together, then maybe took the kids to the loo, or to get an ice cream.

But it's down right rude to not join the queue at all until the last minute.

If the line doesn't move it's a good chance to play some games, or have a sit down on the pavement.

Mickey'sGirl
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't feel it is acceptable to "hold" places in line either. Like other posters have said... most people are there with gaggles of kids...so your situation is not unique to WDW. What I can recommend (having two young sons of my own) is to use Fast Passes as often as possible. We will not wait if the posted time is over 20 minutes as our guys would go wrangy. Go early to avoid the late morning/early afternoon crowds. Have a great trip with your gang! :thumbsup:

Roo Girl
07-26-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree- saving places isn't fair to those that are standing in line waiting their turn. What is the point of a line at all if we could just vote someone as the official line stander and then spend the next half hour having fun. It just isn't fair to others. If the line is too long, or the kids aren't cooperative with waiting, then I think it is best to move on to another attraction. Stepping out for a child's bathroom break is OK, kids don't always anticipate that they have to go 30-40 minutes into a line wait. Plus they are young and can't hold it like adults.

LauraF
07-26-2007, 09:51 AM
That's what Fast Pass is for - it acts as the "line holder". Plus it's FREE. :mickey: Look at the news stories about fistfights starting over line jumpers. Just don't do it.

The only protocol I embrace is "wait your turn." There is enough room for everyone. (There are no bad seats at Disney.) Holding places for others I consider extremely arrogant and thoughtless. If they try to skip ahead . . . BACK OF THE LINE!:thedolls:

My BF has ADD and he has a INCREDIBLY difficult time standing in a line. We spend the time in line talking about anything other than the wait. He's very much looking forward to FP - he can get his place in line and go look at shiny stuff in a nearby store until our time arrives. :cool: (ooooo shiny . . . )

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-26-2007, 10:28 AM
We have been visiting WDW since my first son was 1. We now have 3 kids, 10,7 and 3. They really do not have a problem waiting in lines because it is what they have been taught. I won't say they are happy with it but, they know if they want to ride or see an attraction that they are waiting with everyone else.

Fast Passes are wonderful. They can be great for avoiding lines..especially with young children. Make sure you utilize them.

As for during the waits, I bring a small coloring book and a 4 pack of crayons for my DD and children's word searches for the boys to help with long wait times. Especially with shows like Festival of the Lion King. We also us that time to look through our Hidden Mickey book and see what ones are in the park we are visiting. We use that time to just talk to them about what they have seen and done that day. With all of that, they rarely complain. I am the mean Mom though...If they are having a rough day and complain too much, I take them off the line, whoever has been good stays with DH and the "problem child" and I go take a seat on the bench without riding the ride. Each of the boys has had to do that once...That is all it took. ;)

Good luck. I know it can seem pretty intimidating to think about the lines, etc, but they can really be managed easily.

Oh yeah, My DD 3 had to use the bathroom during a wait for Pooh last year. I asked the people behind us if they would mind if the rest of my family waited on line while I took her to the bathroom and came back. They were totally fine with it. That is the only time I have had to ask that and because we let the people around us know they were understanding. That is the only situation I would not remain on a line with the rest of my family.

Sorry this go so loooong!! :blush:

Mickey91
07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree that place holding is annoying and rude. It is also really obnoxious when people start crawling over top of you in a tight space. A potty break is okay, but with all the other tired kids and parents in line, there would be great resentment toward someone else having fun and then getting in ahead them. Best to come prepared with things to occupy while waiting.:mickey:

CleveSJM
07-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree, with the only exception if one of those children had to use the restroom. But at that point you would have been in line anyways and those around you would more than likely, at some point, heard a child say "I gotta go..." That would be the only time I would feel it would be ok.

I completely agree. Holding is a no-no but allowing a child to use the restroom and come back should be acceptable to everyone. No one wants to sit in a "wet" seat.

I'd also recommend the parent taking the child tell as many people behind them as they can, as they pass, "Sorry, my little one needs a restroom and I hope to come back to join my party in a couple minutes." I don't think anyone should get upset at that.

Sneaky Pete
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Although my question was limited to shows, the Nemo muscial to be specific, and I'm not sure that FastPass is an option for the Nemo Musical. If so, that would be a no-brainer for us.

We've been to Disney many times but haven't been to any shows that involved a 30 to 45 minute wait, at least not with a toddler, so that was why I thought it would be wise to ask for the acceptable protocol.

Based upon the replies, I think we would be fine if the 3 DDs and I waited in line with Mom and the 2 year old DS occasionally taking short walks to keep him occupied.

I'm probably a little more tolerant than most but I really haven't noticed many people cutting in line for shows but I have seen people doing things in lines for popular rides that was pretty annoying. Sorry if I stirred up any bad memories for some of you. ;)

mainemajor
07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
The nice thing about that queue is that it's wide and roomy! And I would hope no one would mind if you walked one child a little bit outside the queue, as long as you made it very obvious you were with people in line. It is hard for little ones to wait that long, especially when the line just flat doesn't move...

As I see it this would be the best way to handle it. But teaching your children how to wait their turn is a very important life lesson. Not just at Disney but every where in life. If you never teach your children how to wait their turn when they are young, they will grow up not knowing how and when to do so.

mickey-mouse35
07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
OK, this question was for lines. What about the same thing for parades? I typically will find a spot for the parade in MK (either day or night parade) while DH rides Space Mountain or something else I can't do. Is holding his place on the pavement a no no too? I'll usually wait for an hour and he'll come about 20 minutes prior to the parade.

DizneyRox
07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
OK, this question was for lines. What about the same thing for parades? I typically will find a spot for the parade in MK (either day or night parade) while DH rides Space Mountain or something else I can't do. Is holding his place on the pavement a no no too? I'll usually wait for an hour and he'll come about 20 minutes prior to the parade.

Same answer, it's rude to take up any number of spots when the people have no plan to return
until the last minute. Chance are they won't even get close enough to see you anyway, and be prepared for some of the nastiest looks you can imagine.

tyandskyesmom
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Now, I see a parade different than line jumping for a ride or show...

It is not ok to hold spots in a line but for a parade, you are not waiting in line for a seat. Anyone could show up as early as they felt the need to to get a good seat for the parade...but in a show (particularly) you are waiting in line for a seat and possibly the best seat. And at a parade, the people who chose to arrive early to get and save spots are not causing someone else to possibly not see the show or ride the ride...it is just a matter of how much time you are willing to wait.

I don't have a problem with people holding a seat for a parade but I do not like spot holding in a line.

K8screen
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
There are far more problems with parades as whole families turn up at the last minute and stand in front of whole families who have been waiting ages. This happens often and is VERY rude and annoying

CleveSJM
07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I think parades are a little different too. I think one person can hold one spot for a parade, not a whole section with bags or jackets or etc.

One person should be able to put their hands out to thier sides and not get squished by other people, they when the parade starts or their "other" shows up, there is plenty of room for two. So for 6 spots you'd need three wait-ers, etc...

Now showing up late and cutting in front of people is very bad. That is just classic cutting.

Seasonscraps
07-28-2007, 09:22 AM
For shows & rides, I think everyone should get on line together. If during that wait a child has a bathroom emergency, I think it would be ok for the child and one adult to leave the line to use facilities and return -- mentioning what's going on to people around you and on the way out so they will know to expect your return.

For parades, I think it's ok to save a spot for one person but not whole sections of the curb for a large group of people that come swarming in shortly before the parade start time. Last time we waited for a parade there were 3 of us and over the course of the hour or so we waited, we took turns stretching our legs, getting cookies (it was during the Christmas party) or using the restrooms but it was clear there were three of us doing the actual waiting.

Everyone is trying to do the same thing -- maximize their experience but it shouldn't be at the expense of some one else's fun.

LudwigVonDrake
07-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a problem with people saving spots in line for ANYONE. Sorry but get in line together and stay there.

jszczur5
08-01-2007, 01:09 AM
There is no acceptable protocol for holding places in line. It just isn't fair to the people behind you. Also, many rides post "wait times" which is mainly calculate on the number of people currently standing in line and the "load time" of that particular attraction. If even 1 in 5 people standing in line is holding a spot for 4 or 5 other friends/family, that will totally skew the wait time. Imagine how you would feel if you thought the wait time for Winnie the Pooh was 20 minutes, but you ended up waiting 40 because everyone kept cutting. You would probably not be happy.
You will encounter very little "crowd rage" at Disney, but the two sure ways to tick people off are to cut in line/hold places for others to cut, and to be in such a rush to get where you're going that you forget to watch out for the little ones.

Goes4FastPass
08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah, My DD 3 had to use the bathroom during a wait for Pooh last year. I asked the people behind us if they would mind if the rest of my family waited on line while I took her to the bathroom and came back. They were totally fine with it. That is the only time I have had to ask that and because we let the people around us know they were understanding. That is the only situation I would not remain on a line with the rest of my family.:blush:Such a completely rational approach!

pook@wdw
08-02-2007, 07:05 PM
There is NO protocol for saving places in line! Either all stand or none (unless toddlers have to go potty) As long as some guests wait in line, it would be in extremely poor taste to hold a place for someone not willing to wait like everyone else. But 95% of all WDW guests already know that, and I personally have not experienced alot of that (thank goodness).:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Such a completely rational approach!

Thank You! ;)