PDA

View Full Version : Going to DL and never been there HELP!

3kingeryboys
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Pixie Dust Greetings,

I am taking my family to DL in Nov 08 and I need help with everything. I know nothing other than DL is in CA. Please advise me on everything Disney.

My boys will be 8, 6, and 5. Just the right ages and they cannot wait to go.

I just love Intercot and all the members they are so helpfull with everything.

Thanks in advance for all your help.:mickey:

GoofyGuy75
07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Your right.. just the right ages.. alot to do.. and a wonderful place to go.. Are you staying on resort or off.. eather way it will be a magical time.. The best thing to do is make a plan on how to attack the park.. We always go to adevtire land and work around the hub. we also have a little family tradition of going to dtd and getting benias at the jazz kittion and watch as the people get ready to go into the parks.. You'll have a blast and i know it.:mickey::party:

3kingeryboys
07-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the wishes. After reading all the posts we will have to stay at DLH. We might try and split up the stay as well. My boys have never been to CA so we will want to see the normal spots to see too. I have a lot of work to do planning this trip.

Do you know where to stay away from the parks that is safe and around the other hot spots? :confused::thumbsup:

Again thanks for replying to my thread.:cloud9:

2Epcot
07-26-2007, 11:43 AM
We might try and split up the stay as well. My boys have never been to CA so we will want to see the normal spots to see too. Do you know where to stay away from the parks that is safe and around the other hot spots? :confused::thumbsup::cloud9:

I guess to choose another place to stay, it depends on what else you want to do. Are you going to Universal or Sea World ... both are in opposite directions from Disneyland ... or do you think you want to be near a beach?

Enjoy the planning, your first trip to Disneyland should be wondeful. Disneyland has a lot of things you won't see at WDW. Between Disneyland and California Adventure, there will be a lot your boys will enjoy.

One thing that will be taking place during your visit will be the change over for the Huanted Mansion. Between Halloween and Christmas, the mansion is completly transformed inside with different characters and music from the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas. If your kids have seen the movie they will recognize the characters, if not, you may want to watch it before then.

ChipDale
07-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I am taking my family to DL in Nov 08 and I need help with everything. I know nothing other than DL is in CA. Please advise me on everything Disney.

My advice is to read, read, read these forums for your best tips on what to do (and when) in the parks, which restaurants to choose, which hotel etc. You can learn a lot in the Trip Reports forum too.

Then, post your specific questions in the appropriate forums (i.e., Accommodations, Dining, etc.).

You've got plenty of time to plan and learn! :mickey:

tdhiatt
08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
We love DL. We try to go as much as possible. Anyway my advice begins with hotel. We stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn. (there are other best westerns around though that are farther away DONT STAY AT THEM). The reason is, that the park place inn is directly across the street from the park. The motel is O.K., but who hangs out there all day. Next bit of advice, when it gets like 1 month to going click on the disney web site and click on calender. You can print the entire schdule of parades and such. That will help you make decisions on where you want to be. I suggest Orange County airport if you are flying, it will make for a less stressful trip, then LA X. Thats all I have for now.

Marilyn Michetti
09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
We're taking our first trip to DLR this Dec., and I'm just totally in the dark. We started by booking a standard at Candy Cane, (on the advice of Intercotee's), and a flight into John Wayne. (Was that a mistake? -Nobody else is talking about it.) Anyway, after 12 trips over the years to WDW, I'm just going through a Birnbaums, and starting to get really excited.

What I'm reading is that only three restaurants take reservations, and those are the old, "priority seatings". Same day. No busses to deal with, and our room is right next door.

Everybody on Intercot has nothing but great things to say about the experience, sooooo.., we're all going to report on this one!:)

Melanie
09-27-2007, 11:50 PM
and a flight into John Wayne. (Was that a mistake? -Nobody else is talking about it.)

Not a mistake in my opinion. Definitely my airport of choice. So conveniently close to the resort, and a cozy atmosphere.

What I'm reading is that only three restaurants take reservations, and those are the old, "priority seatings".

Not sure if you are reading this in Birnbaums, but that is incorrect. All the full service restauarnts will make priority seating arrangements.

Marilyn, trust me. You can relax! I think you will find out very quickly after you arrive that everything is much more laid back at Disneyland compared to what you are used to at WDW. It's quite refreshing actually.

Carol
09-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Priority seating at restaurants can be made 60 days in advance by calling(714)-781-3463

I usually have 2 set up per day. Some of the Downtown Disney restaurants have a different number. The cast member can connect you.

Happy Planning. I was just there last month and have 188 days until I return. I cannot wait to go back.

Definitely my airport of choice. So conveniently close to the resort, and a cozy atmosphere.It would certainly be my airport of choice - but my carrier doesn't fly into John Wayne without a layover somewhere. :unsure:

BrerGnat
09-28-2007, 12:21 PM
As an Orange County resident for several years, and a frequent visitor to DL, I can offer up this major advice:

-Fly into Orange County (SNA) airport if you can, even if it means a layover!!! The trip to DL is about 10 minutes from there. Can't beat that when you have to deal with the traffic down here.

-Stay on property. We like doing this so much that we do it EVEN THOUGH WE LIVE 15 MIN from the parks! We will be staying 3 nights at the Grand Californian in just about 3 weeks from now. :) This will be our 4th stay on property.

-Don't sweat PS arrangements for dining. The dining situation at DLR Is NOTHING like that at WDW. You can walk up to most any restaurant (excluding Blue Bayou on busy days) and be seated within 15 min as long as you don't try to dine at the classic hours (noon, 6-7pm). If you want to eat at the Blue Bayou, make a reservation, but if you change your mind, try walking up. I have done walk up 75% of the time I've eaten there and it's possible.

-First time visitors to southern CA with kids should visit (in this order of priority)
1. Legoland
2. San Diego Wild Animal Park
3. San Diego Zoo
4. Sea World (if you have been to FL's, skip Sea World...the San Diego one is lame by comparison)
5. Aquarium of the Pacific (good way to also see the beach---this is in Long Beach)
6. The Beach (but ONLY in the warmer months)

I would skip any trips into Los Angeles, Hollywood, or Universal Studios. More trouble than they are worth, TRUST ME!!!

-If you plan to visit San Diego, plan at least 2 days for this and stay in a hotel closer to that area. My recommendation if you will be visiting Legoland and/or SD Wild Animal Park is to stay in a hotel in Oceanside or Carlsbad (the Hilton on the beach in Carlsbad is particularly nice!)