PDA

View Full Version : Which mediocre ride has the most potential for greatness?

aprilshowers93
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I was just thinking about some of the rides already at disney world and DLR and I can think of a lot of rides that are okay, or good, or nice, but have real potential.

I think jungle cruise could be REALLY great with narrower passages, more of a canopy with trees and updated animatronics. The Great Movie Ride is also such a cool idea, but the movies are a little out dated and as a young adult, I just can't relate to some of them. But again, this ride could be FANTASTIC.

What are your thoughts?

fielin
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
funny, the two rides you mention are great because of the interaction with CM. I do agree that the Movie Ride could be updated, but I find Jungle Cruise perfectly alright.

Stitch, Universe of Energy or Space Mountain could benefit of some major tweaking that would make them fantastic rides, though.

LibertyTreeGal
07-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Star Tours should be updated, it could really be awesome again :) Though I like it lots as it is !

DisneyLuver91
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I definately agree with all those rides, but especially The Great Movie Ride. Some of the movies are old and dated. I personally love them (especially Casablanca) but for those visitors who haven't heard of them, its a good idea to update with more popular movies.

GrmGrninGost
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
The Great Movie Ride and the Jungle Cruise have no need to be updated or changed. They are wonderful, family friendly rides. Not everything needs to be scary or a thrill ride. As far as The Great Movie Ride, the whole idea is to introduce people to the classics. It would lose it's character if you traded out Casablanca for American Pie. I can go to any park in the world and get thrills, I go to Disney for atmosphere! I go for the magic! :mickey: Disney parks are the only ones I have been to where a family can spend the day together and not have to split up all the time so somebody can ride this and somebody can ride that. Almost everything is suitable for everybody! That is what Walt intended. Disneyland was to be a place for the family. To this day the Disney parks are the most visited parks in the world. Not for their thrills, but for their family friendliness.

IloveDisney71
07-25-2007, 07:14 PM
[quote=fielin;1367365]... Space Mountain could benefit of some major tweaking ...quote]
I agree that Space Mountain could use some major tweaking. While SM is one of my FAVORITE rides, I think it would be much better with new stuff to see. :) I love the giant chocolate chip cookies, :haha:but maybe they could add some Moonpies or Starcrunches. Okay - just kidding, but they could add some more real space stuff for us to see as we plunge into the darkness of "space".

LibertyTreeGal
07-25-2007, 07:18 PM
[quote=fielin;1367365]... Space Mountain could benefit of some major tweaking ...quote]
I agree that Space Mountain could use some major tweaking. While SM is one of my FAVORITE rides, I think it would be much better with new stuff to see. :) I love the giant chocolate chip cookies, :haha:but maybe they could add some Moonpies or Starcrunches. Okay - just kidding, but they could add some more real space stuff for us to see as we plunge into the darkness of "space".

So what are we really talking about here?

Hostess presents Space Mountain!

:D

SBETigg
07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I definately agree with all those rides, but especially The Great Movie Ride. Some of the movies are old and dated. I personally love them (especially Casablanca) but for those visitors who haven't heard of them, its a good idea to update with more popular movies.

The movies are classics. Even little kids know many of them. I think the movies represented are fine. I would rather see Journey into Your Imagination get some work. The whole pavilion could use a recharge, actually. But if we're talking mediocre, JIYI fits the bill.

IloveDisney71
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
[quote=IloveDisney71;1367450]

So what are we really talking about here?

Hostess presents Space Mountain!

:D

Maybe? :)My kids always get a kick out of looking for the "giant choc. chip cookies" and arguing over whether it really is a cookie or NOT. :)

jszczur5
07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
What I am about to propose will definitely offend some - but I vote for Haunted Mansion. I am so glad that this attraction is being refurb'ed this year, although I doubt that they will go far enough. I really enjoy the first half of the ride, but the seance scene and the cemetery scene are so lame. I hate those heads that pop out from the gravestones. It reminds me of a cheap carnival ride. Besides which, last summer when we were at MK, dozens of the doom buggies were out of order. It kind of takes away from the experience when you have to watch two or three buggies taped off with yellow tape, go by, before you can board one.
It's too bad the refurb will probably not be done before we leave (09/07/07) as I would like very much to see what they can do to spruce up this classic, but tired ride.
As for the Jungle Cruise, I love it just the way it is. It's supposed to be hokey. The CM patter is worth the trip alone.

Polynesian Dweller
07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
While I agree with JIYI, I'm not sure its good enough to call mediocore. For me it would have ot improve to get to that level.

I would nominate Tommorowland Transit Authority. TTA is enjoyed by a lot of folks but it could be rre-imagineered to give it some pop as it moves around. Things like more theming as it passes through Space Mountain and improved cars with displays (maybe interactive) to show you info about the park and the attractions as you move around could be added to modernize it.

snifflesmcg
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I think the ride with most potential is Ellen's Universe of Energy. It has so much room and the ride, quite frankly, is a bit boring and drab (with the exclusion of the dinosaur part). They could do SOOO much with this ride.

animalkingdomguy
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
The Indy Speedway. We habitually avoid this attraction. It's a glorified go-cart track. Wehat needs to happen is to reimagineer this attraction after a Pixar Cars theme. This attraction consumes a large land foot print and really deserves a complete rehab.

snifflesmcg
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
BTW, great thread!:thumbsup:

Mickey91
07-25-2007, 11:23 PM
The Great Movie ride is fine as it is. It is showing you the beginnings of Hollywood. Updated popular movies aren't the beginning. They are where we are now. To change it would be terrible!

The TTA is fine as it is. We don't need interactive entertainment on every ride.

Ellen's Energy could be better by getting rid of Ellen.

Honestly I don't think Disney has any mediocre rides except for the entire dino section in AK.

mttafire
07-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Jungle Cruise. With modern technology this ride has imho the MOST potential to build on its already legendary status.

RAIDER
07-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Stars Tours if they used the proper Star Wars characters and used something on the lines that were being chased by Darth Vader.

The Movie ride desperately needs to be revamped for me they have everything at their fingertips and its poorly used

The Speedway should have a makeover and the cars should be made into the characters from the film CARS ... I think that would have more appeal to the young uns

fielin
07-26-2007, 04:21 AM
JIYI doesn't fit the bill of being mediocre. It's just plain awful.

It is in dire need of a complete makeover.

PeterPanFan
07-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Star Tours and Indy Speedway but dont get rid of either.

Also maybe the people mover/blue line. My kids love it but some of the citys of the future displays are at least 20 years old maybe they can spice it up a pinch.

TuscanRaider
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Journey into Your Imagination with Figment is not horrible in my opinion. Yes, I would like to see the original version back but this one is better than the one before.

The TTA is also pretty much fine in my opinion. The model I think is a model that Walt Disney helped create for his vision of the future so I think it's fine.

I think Star Tours should be refurbed.

Indy Speedway should be refurbed as well. For one thing, it's in Tomorrowland yet it doesn't really resemble anything of the future. I think they should set up the cars not as the Cars from the movie but as like spacepods and future vehicles.

:mickey:

Stu29573
07-26-2007, 10:30 AM
The speedway needs a major overhaul. Actually, it's not as good as go-carts, since go-carts aren't on a track, go faster, and are more controllable.

Yep, the city you see in TTA is the first model for EPCOT (notice all caps) and as such, shouldn't be changed.

I know I am in the minority here, but I don't mind the "popping heads" at the HM. The ride starts dark and ominous, but as you progress along it gets lighter and more playful (this was on purpose- also, it was a compromise between imagineers who thought it should be scary and others who thought it should be funny) Viewed in that light, the silly popping up ghosts actually work. I DO think they should hide them a bit better, and quieten down the machinery noise when they pop up...:mickey:

gwfx1031
07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see an upgrade to the speedway. Like a previous poster said a "Cars" overlay would fit in. NASCAR is as popular as ever, that could work. Or how about making it a trip across the country with mini cities and sites kind of like Storybook Canal at DL.

jwallace378
07-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I think Spaceship Earth could use an updating. They kind of end the ride in the telecommunications of the mid-80's. They need to bring it up to speed to today's world of communications.

mttafire
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I think Spaceship Earth could use an updating. They kind of end the ride in the telecommunications of the mid-80's. They need to bring it up to speed to today's world of communications....................already in process.