PDA

View Full Version : question for those who practice "green living"???

Terra
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I have really been doing some major overhaul in my life as far as the environment is concerned and trying to do my part with "green living"...
Currently I have been cloth diapering my son since he was about 3 months old, I make my own babyfood to reduce waste and cost...I use the "green bag" [canvas bags] for shopping...I have just gotten rid of most of my chemical cleaners and started using natural ingredients such as lemons/lemon juice and baking soda for cleaning...and I buy recycled paper produts when I can [i.e.-paper towels/toilet paper] and I don't use any paper dishes...[we did for a long time and then when I started becoming more concious I stopped and we just use our regular dishes..]

Okay, sorry about the rambling..Yesterday I bought a biodegradable dish detergant, but it costs $3.50 for a small container [It's "Seventh Generation" brand]
Do any of you make your own detergant?? How do you do that?? Do you use essential oils to make it smell good??
Also I know I can buy biodegradable laundry detergant, but I have a feeling that it would be cheaper to make my own...any of you do that?? and how???

I did have a friend email the recipe for making my own soap and I want to try that eventually and she's also getting the shampoo recipe too.

Okay...add whatever you want as well to the topic about green living if you feel like it!! I'm always up for more ideas as well!!!

offwego
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Neat thread!!!

You know what I was shocked by? Lawn mowers. Gas mowers for one hour equal the average car for 160KM! Crazy! Poor DH has to put up with electric.

We have also switched to the new fangled light bulbs. Making sure to try to car pool and or take transit wherever you can.

Also there is a theory that trying to purchase food that is primarily local (and thus wasn't shipped using trucks etc) can also help.

Of course being dilegent about lights and timers on the furnance etc is a big help.

NJGIRL
07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Become a vegan. So much energy and natural resources are used in order to feed and kill animals for food. Not to mention the pollution that it causes.

ImagiAsh
07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the homemade recipes, I'm interested to find out if someone on here has any tips. As far as going green, one of the things I've really taken notice of is unplugging things. Even though an object is plugged in, but turned off, it is still generating power-- a complete waste of energy if you're not even using it! I realize that going around the house every night and unplugging everything is a bit annoying, so I have made things slightly easier by using those power strips. I have several objects plugged into one power strip and unplug the entire power strip at once.

Terra
07-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Become a vegan. So much energy and natural resources are used in order to feed and kill animals for food. Not to mention the pollution that it causes.

While I do agree with you I'm just not at a point where I'm ready to give up meat yet!
And I know right not DH would never ever go for it...I'm having a hard enough time with him to get him to put stuff in the recyle bin!

But great great point!!

Terra
07-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the homemade recipes, I'm interested to find out if someone on here has any tips.
I did do a little researching...just a little, then I had to run some errands...but I did find a website that told how to make natural laundry detergent!!
Now I'm looking for dishsoap..
don't know if I can post the links here...but if you're interested and PM me I can give it to you!

CleveSJM
07-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Cloth diapering... Hmmm. :confused:

I'm sure it's open for debate and whoever is funding the study, but I've read where cloth diapers are worse for the environment than disposables. Since the early 90's, disposables have been made to break down much easier in landfills. Also, the poo-poo in the diaper is good for the soil and environment (natural fertilizer).

The amount of energy you use to heat the water, the amount of water you use to launder, and the phosphates from the detergent you use to wash the diapers are worse for the environment than the disposables.

Now cloth may be a preference for skin sentitive,etc but from what I've read, it's not better for the environment.

Definitely pre-90's but not so much now.

Lisaj13
07-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I think it's great that you're making such efforts to "live green".

Both my kids had cloth diapers. Currently, I use a clothesline to dry my laundry, use fluorescent lightbulbs, take the bus to work and I collect rain water and use that water for my garden and flowers. I also am converting to powerstrips for appliances. I like the ones with on/off switches for ease of use.

Small things, but they add up!

Terra
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Cloth diapering... Hmmm. :confused:

I'm sure it's open for debate and whoever is funding the study, but I've read where cloth diapers are worse for the environment than disposables. Since the early 90's, disposables have been made to break down much easier in landfills. Also, the poo-poo in the diaper is good for the soil and environment (natural fertilizer).

The amount of energy you use to heat the water, the amount of water you use to launder, and the phosphates from the detergent you use to wash the diapers are worse for the environment than the disposables.

Now cloth may be a preference for skin sentitive,etc but from what I've read, it's not better for the environment.

Definitely pre-90's but not so much now.

Actually the "bio degradable" type diapers can take upwards of 500 years to biodegrade if they are not exposed to sunlight and air.
And of course most diapers are thrown into the trash so most are not exposed.
In addition, cloth is better due to the chemicals that are used in many diapers.
And while it's true that the waste in the diapers is good natural fertilizer, it does not good in a landfill because more than likely a landfill will never be farmed.

The chemical used to create the absorbent gel are and chemicals used in the dyes of diapers have been known to cause and linked to Toxic shock syndrome, nervous system damage and kidney/liver damage as well.

It's just a chance that I don't want to take personally...just my 2 cents...although I wasn't looking for a debate on it anyway...I was just asking a question for those that do "green living"

murphy1
07-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Terra, I'm totally impressed with your efforts!! The big thing we do is recycle here!! This is one thing I notice my hometown of St. Pete doesn't do and Florida in general, so I'm even more impressed that SOMEONE in Florida is at least doing something. I asked my dad one day where I should put an empty Coke can when I stayed with them and he said "in the trash". If everyone would just get a bin and recycle, it would reduce our waste soooo much.

Terra
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Terra, I'm totally impressed with your efforts!! The big thing we do is recycle here!! This is one thing I notice my hometown of St. Pete doesn't do and Florida in general, so I'm even more impressed that SOMEONE in Florida is at least doing something. I asked my dad one day where I should put an empty Coke can when I stayed with them and he said "in the trash". If everyone would just get a bin and recycle, it would reduce our waste soooo much.

ITA!!!
How are you???? I'm going to Animal Kindgom and MGM on the 4th of August! And I'm putting David in his cute little Romper you sent!!!! It's actually just a bit big, but not too bad!!

snifflesmcg
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I would love to live a "greener" lifestyle but some of it seems almost impossible. I am an avid recycler and have been for many years but for me, that's as far as it goes. As stated, the cost of dish detergent would cost a whopping $3.50 for a small bottle when I can buy Dawn for not even 25% of that. I wish it didn't cost so much for us to help the environment. I've slowly started to change my lightbulbs to the new florecent but for me to change them all would cost me almost $100. I wish there was a better way.

PS-I can't ever give up meat and I don't have children (with or without diapers). I guess it evens out.

Terra
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I would love to live a "greener" lifestyle but some of it seems almost impossible. I am an avid recycler and have been for many years but for me, that's as far as it goes. As stated, the cost of dish detergent would cost a whopping $3.50 for a small bottle when I can buy Dawn for not even 25% of that. I wish it didn't cost so much for us to help the environment. I've slowly started to change my lightbulbs to the new florecent but for me to change them all would cost me almost $100. I wish there was a better way.

PS-I can't ever give up meat and I don't have children (with or without diapers). I guess it evens out.

I love meat too! lol...
On the dish detergent. It does cost more sadly. But it doesn't take alot..
However I did run across a "recipe" [and I'm looking for more" to make my own...which turns out to be much cheaper!
When I was doing a bit of research on using the mainstream detergents I was just amazed and how much of it is not biodegradable...very sad...

BUT...every little thing you do helps...just by recycling and changing over the light bulbs is already reducing a great amount of waste!

I know with the diaper thing. On average 1 baby over his/her total diapering life makes 2 TONS of diaper waste!! Just 1 baby!!! That is crazy!!

Clotho
07-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Neat thread!!!

You know what I was shocked by? Lawn mowers. Gas mowers for one hour equal the average car for 160KM! Crazy! Poor DH has to put up with electric.

If you really want to live green, don't have a lawn! Plant local plants and groundcover that do not require undue extra care and resources, such as mowing and watering. Intersperse with rockery, and you have a lovely yard without a lawn.

I know a lot of folks have kids or dogs who need lawns. We do. So we are keeping the back lawn for the doggies and tearing up the front lawn.

Also, on the "green" cleaning products, I have found they do not work well at all. You have to work twice as hard and use 4X as much to get the job done. I personally prefer to use the less green products, but using less of it and having a better result.

Melanie
07-25-2007, 10:38 PM
I changing over the light bulbs is already reducing a great amount of waste!

Please be careful with those new bulbs (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=110244).

Terra
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
If you really want to live green, don't have a lawn! Plant local plants and groundcover that do not require undue extra care and resources, such as mowing and watering. Intersperse with rockery, and you have a lovely yard without a lawn.

Whenever DH and I get a house we want to do that with our yard...plant native plants to Florida. We have good friends that did it and it was just stunning!!!

I actually [concerning the cleaning products] use lemon juice and baking soda and it works great on about everything!

snifflesmcg
07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
I actually [concerning the cleaning products] use lemon juice and baking soda and it works great on about everything!

You know, I saw this on that tv show "How clean is your house" maybe a year or so ago and I have never tried it. Now you have my wheels turning. Also, I know vinegar works in some aspects too (but I don't know for what or how much).

Terra
07-26-2007, 08:00 AM
You know, I saw this on that tv show "How clean is your house" maybe a year or so ago and I have never tried it. Now you have my wheels turning. Also, I know vinegar works in some aspects too (but I don't know for what or how much).

I know I use vinegar on windows/mirrors [although you can use the lemon juice mixture on mirrors too. [It's 1 cup of lemon juice to 2 cups of water]. I actually read too believe it or not to boil like one cup of vinegar with a pot of water on the stove to deodorize the house...LOL..but shew...i don't know about that one!:sick:

And I *think* if I remember right as well, you can use the vinegar/baking soda bubbly mixture to clean silver.

Also vinegar on floors to mop!!

Mickey'sGirl
07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Cloth diapering... Hmmm. :confused: Definitely pre-90's but not so much now.Agreed -- processing raw sewage and washing extra loads of laundry each day do a lot of damage too....

Please be careful with those new bulbs (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=110244).Absolutely.... we have recently reconsidered the new bulbs

I actually [concerning the cleaning products] use lemon juice and baking soda and it works great on about everything!That's for sure (so does toothpaste by the way!!)

Also, I know vinegar works in some aspects too (but I don't know for what or how much).Vinegar is the wonder product -- especially on ceramics!!

But, as Natalie said -- where and how you buy and make your food is a great way to go green. Probably the greatest impact you can have is to make as much of your own food as you can from locally grown and produced food products.... not prepared or pre-packaged. Filter your own water, don't buy bottled stuff. Try a push mower instead of a gas or electric mower. It's a lot of work (for my husband :D), but it's good exercise too! Walk if you can...take a bike or public transit if you can't walk ... or if no other option is there, then drive.

Flower
07-26-2007, 09:32 AM

When I stay at my in-laws in Lake Wales FL I am amazed that they do not recycle there either. At home we have:

Brown Bags for yard waste (weeds and such) - we CANNOT recycle grass clippings in the bags as the clippings apparently are better for your lawn.

Blue Boxes for plastic bottles, cans, cardboard milk containers, drink boxes, papers, cardboards, and the list goes on.

Green bins - food waste, cotton balls, serviettes, dryer lint, paper plates, cups & cardboard drink trays from fast food locations, sawdust & pet bedding, tissues.

Regular garbage - pretty much everything else: diapers & wipes, styrofoam containers and packaging, plastic bags & liners, cat litter, light bulbs, etc.

We also have bag restrictions on our garbage. We are allowed up to 3 bags a week and our recycling is picked up every 2 weeks, green bins every week. If we have more than 3 bags (Which we rarely have more than 2), we can buy a special tag that allows us to throw out additional bags at $1.50 per bag.

The City next to us only allows 2 bags of garbage and they only pick up every 2 weeks. Their recycling gets picked up every week.

Other things I do: If I go to a fast food location I try not to get a drink tray, I also brings the food bags home to recycle them.

I have to admit, I thought about cloth diapering Bennie - they do not make them easy to find here though, and I like the ease of the disposable.

I also like my chemically convenient cleaners. I love the smell of the lysol lemon spray and concentrate, and I like the ease of the wipes (which I recycle!) Oh yah, and my swiffer for those quick clean ups with 2 kids, 1 cat & a dog!

We have switched most bulbs over to the new ones.

I will not run the air conditioning if it is not too hot.

I use tupperware instead of saran wrap on most things.

I only use cold water in my washing machine, infact the hot water knob is turned off.

MsMin
07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
My dd read an article the other day that says that a dish washer is more efficient than washing by hand, using less water and soap.
I don't know how you can do laundry w/o hot water b/c the hot water helps w/ killing most of the bacteria when combined w/ the soap. I know I have some cold water products but I want my dishtowels clean. I tried cloth diapers in the 80's and my dd got a horrible diaper rash. It seems the cloth hold more bacteria and my dd who is allergic to everything couldn't tolerate the cloth.
I do use vinegar on windows but also to deodorize when I mop.
We recycle here and produce more recycled goods than garbage. (now we have to work on reducing the pkging) We can recycle Styrofoam here as long as we wash it out. I didn't realize they had changed that (here, areas vary) until I read the new recycling rules.
We are too far out of the city to walk, bike or use public transit - our city is not planned for that; but, I do try to consolidate trips...

offwego
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Your correct...we have the dog issue and also have new construction..however we don't water the lawns (aside from spot watering the newer trees that have been planted).

It will take a few years to change that as our area is not at all rocky (sandy soil in fact) and thus doesn't convert too easy.

Mickey'sGirl
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
My dd read an article the other day that says that a dish washer is more efficient than washing by hand, using less water and soap.
I don't know how you can do laundry w/o hot water b/c the hot water helps w/ killing most of the bacteria when combined w/ the soap.
Especially if you use the EnergyStar appliances! :thumbsup: I agree with the laundry. We bought front loading machines when we moved to reduce the amount of hot water and energy etc that we use -- but I still need to use hot water for sheets and towels -- and filthy little boy socks too ;).

We have moved so far away from local stuff now that I need to drive far more often that I would like to.... so we consolidate our trips as often as possible ... and sometimes even MAKE DO with what we have at home!

CleveSJM
07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Not looking for a debate either, just want everyone to make the best GREEN choices they can. Just want everyone to know cloth diapers is not a no-brainer. HE detergents probably tip the scale toward cloth but environmentally conscious people shouldn't feel bad about disposables. It was an Iowa State University study I read when we were trying to decide for our babies. Search Iowa State University Diaper Dilemma for an interesting read.

Also, great ideas and efforts on the topic!

Go Green!! :ill::sick: (<- not that kind of green... ;))

Terra
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know how you can do laundry w/o hot water b/c the hot water helps w/ killing most of the bacteria when combined w/ the soap. I know I have some cold water products but I want my dishtowels clean. I tried cloth diapers in the 80's and my dd got a horrible diaper rash. It seems the cloth hold more bacteria and my dd who is allergic to everything couldn't tolerate the cloth.

I only wash my cloth diapers on hot...lol...and then maybe once a month I wash everything in hot...but I do, do the cold wash thing all the time...not only to save energy but to save money for us....my DH is the only one that works and we live on a VERY modest budget...lol...About $2500 a month..

Anyway...yeah, some babies have issues with cloth...and alot of it is the way the cloth diapers are made and the chemicals used to bleach them...so totally organically made is the way to go. My good friend had the same issue and when she switched to organic...no more rash...

murphy1
07-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Terra, I can't wait to see David in the outfit!! I'm working on our stuff for October trip, everyday a custom outfit for the girls LOL!

Terra
07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Terra, I can't wait to see David in the outfit!! I'm working on our stuff for October trip, everyday a custom outfit for the girls LOL!

Oh my goodness...that is awesome!!!!
If you get a chance, I'd love to meet up with you guys again! Plus with my annual pass I can come to any of the parks!

murphy1
07-27-2007, 06:33 AM
I'll email or PM you soon, trying to get it planned and all!

harlowandthemermaid
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
We use the Seventh generation brand in many of our cleaners, and also our diapers and baby wipes. Or we use the whole foods brand. Trader joe's has some comparable dish detergent and cleaners that are cheaper so we buy there too. We buy almost all organic produce(all of our food comes from WF or trader J's)and most of our bath and skin products are from "natural" lines like alba, avalon or similar. Needless to say this is where most of my money goes.
If you are trying to eat more natural I would definitely avoid the packaged foods at your more traditional grocery stores.
I just got an article that had some different suggestions for green cleaning using baking soda, vinegar etc. Was thinking of trying some of them out, are they working well for you?
Terra I think it's great that you are doing all of these things to provide a healthier environment for you and your family!:D

Terra
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
We use the Seventh generation brand in many of our cleaners, and also our diapers and baby wipes.

I love Seventh Generation! I have the dishsoap right now [until I can start making my own]...

On using it for the diapers...do you mean 7th Gen. makes diapers or you use their laundry detergent to wash cloth diapers in?
At our local grocery store they only carry the dishsoap and cleaning products...but I think I can order it online!

Do you make your own wipes Mel?? I'm thinking of doing it...I have alot of flannel recieving blankets that I never use anymore and I think I may cut those up and use it. I also have a couple of fleec blankets too i can use. I already use some of the fleece as liners for the diapers.

MsMin
07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry guys but that vegan statement has been bothering me so I checked into it. With one of my specialties in eating disorders I worry when people (esp. young women) get misinformation on sites claiming meat is bad.
The statement cows use more energy than plants is true HOWEVER the term energy is not referring to fossil fuels. The term energy refers to the amount of food consumed by a cow vs the amount of "food" consumed by a plant and the yield they produce. A farm uses more fossil energy for a vegetable crop than a cow. A cow or other grazing animal can reduce the need for "mowing" of course certain grasses must be limited and run off is another problem but w/planning can be controlled. However, you can say the cow is actually more green but it depends on the production site as well. Don't let these sites fool you.
I'm not against vegans or insist everyone eat meat, I'm just against sites that misuse info to frighten young girls into eating poorly and yes with a vegetarian diet it is more difficult to maintain a healthy diet without accurate info on proper nutrition.

Terra
07-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I agree MsMin!
Thanks for looking into that too and providing more info!

Personally I just can't do it...I do love red meat although I don't eat it too often because of price.

But I agree too about eating habits/disorders...so scary!

harlowandthemermaid
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Terra , we used the 7th gen diapers and wipes since I haven't sold Jeff on the cloth diaper system. No chlorine, chemicals etc, which is why we chose them. We found some brand for laundry detergent called Ecos that we like too, it is a concentrated liquid. Also found non toxic dryer balls to help with static cling. IMHO dryer sheets are evil:thedolls:

As someone who spent most of my adult life as a vegetarian(I'm no longer a strict vegetarian though I eat very little meat products) I think the big issue is our meat industry standards and the hormones. I know a lot of healthy vegetarians, but they aren't eating veggie burgers, french fries and a bunch of processed soy products. Just like the healthy meat eaters aren't eating fast food 5 days a week. You can have a healthy diet and be a vegetarian or a meat eater, you just have to make wise food choices.

BronxTigger
07-28-2007, 11:13 PM
IMHO dryer sheets are evil:thedolls:

Why?

disneydeb
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Arm and Hammer makes a laundry detergent called Essentials It comes in a green plasic bottle and is only 2.97 for about 32 loads. It contains no phosphates, and is derived from baking soda and plant products.

I was wondering what you might think of this if you've seen it in your area?

I think the worst thing about it is the container it comes in. What do you think?

:mickey:

RenDuran
07-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Wow....what a thread! I'm loving it, since we attempt to live green when we can.

One thing that my husband and I started recently is composting all our kitchen scraps! It's amazing how much stuff went into the trash. We bought a composter for the backyard....really, it's just a glorified big, plastic box. All vegetable and fruits scraps go in there. Soon I'll have compost for the yard....where I only plant drought-tolerant plants. I usually water the first year, but once a plant is established, it's on it's own. And I mulch like crazy....reduces water needs and keeps down weeds.

I use vinegar for washing all the floors in the house. 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water. It does a great job and I've read the vinegar has antifungal properties as well, which is one reason I like it. I have terrible allergies, and one is to mold.

I can't use the clothesline, due to severe outdoor allergies, but I've read that drying clothes in the dryer kills most bacteria, for those of you discussing whether to use hot water in the washing machine.

I just started using 7th generation products and love them. Their main premise is that most cleaning products are made with petroleum-based ingrediants. Their products are vegetable-based. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Good luck with the cloth diapers. I could never bring myself to use them, but I think it's a great idea. I wish more people would go green! In all areas of their lives!

Terra
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Arm and Hammer makes a laundry detergent called Essentials It comes in a green plasic bottle and is only 2.97 for about 32 loads. It contains no phosphates, and is derived from baking soda and plant products.

:mickey:
I didn't know that!! I'm so looking the next time I go to walmart! I do understand about the containers. I **think** you can recyle plastic containers though. They would go in your plastic bin!
Too bad they didn't make "refills" in a more paper/cardboard container, those could be recycled too and at least paper is a bit more biodegradable! Thanks for the tip!!!

Wow....what a thread! I'm loving it, since we attempt to live green when we can.

Good luck with the cloth diapers. I could never bring myself to use them, but I think it's a great idea. I wish more people would go green! In all areas of their lives!

I so want to compost too!!! I think I may buy one of those cheap plastic containers too! I read to drill some holes in the bottom.

Can you tell me how exactly you do yours? Do you just throw the food into it? And you said only fruits and veggies?

Thanks on the cloth diapers. It's really not as bad as people think...I promise! LOL...

Unless his waste is solid I don't really even rinse it. I just put it right in the diaper pail and then of course do a heavy duty wash with 2 rinses and I use vinegar in the final rinses.

It has saved us so much money!!! To date approx. $200

RenDuran
07-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Our composter has no bottom to it, so I didn't need to drill holes. And it has a little door at the bottom to retrieve our "black gold"! I'm sure it just depends on what sort you use.

You shouldn't put anything into your compost pile that contains animal products....so nothing with butter, fats, meat...you get the idea. You can even add small amounts of black and white newsprint. Garden and yard waste, such as grass clippings and leaves, can be thrown in too. Keeping out the animal products keeps the odor down and keeps critters from visiting! We haven't had any animals around, but the bees and flies do tend to collect around it, so put it away from living areas!

Truthfully, that's about as far as we've gotten. I have a book called "Let It Rot" that I've been meaning to read on the subject, but time is at a premium lately! I figure that it can't be too hard to throw stuff into my composter and just let it rot. But I do want to read a little more on the subject.

merlinmagic4
07-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Terra,

What kind of cloth diapers do you use? I am currently using all bumGenius but also loved Happy Heiny diapers (he grew out of the medium so now I need large ones).

Terra
07-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Terra,

What kind of cloth diapers do you use? I am currently using all bumGenius but also loved Happy Heiny diapers (he grew out of the medium so now I need large ones).

Yeah another cloth diaper mama!!

We're on a fairly tight budget so I just use the Chinese Prefolds with, believe it or not, the vinyl covers from Walmart...and it works great..
I do have 4 Bummis wraps and 1 bumkin wrap that I use as well.

I'm going to go ahead here soon though and purchase 3 AIO's for nighttime just so their is a little more absorbancy. The CPF's get pretty soaked by morning!

NJGIRL
07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry guys but that vegan statement has been bothering me so I checked into it. With one of my specialties in eating disorders I worry when people (esp. young women) get misinformation on sites claiming meat is bad.
The statement cows use more energy than plants is true HOWEVER the term energy is not referring to fossil fuels. The term energy refers to the amount of food consumed by a cow vs the amount of "food" consumed by a plant and the yield they produce. A farm uses more fossil energy for a vegetable crop than a cow. A cow or other grazing animal can reduce the need for "mowing" of course certain grasses must be limited and run off is another problem but w/planning can be controlled. However, you can say the cow is actually more green but it depends on the production site as well. Don't let these sites fool you.
I'm not against vegans or insist everyone eat meat, I'm just against sites that misuse info to frighten young girls into eating poorly and yes with a vegetarian diet it is more difficult to maintain a healthy diet without accurate info on proper nutrition.

I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with your statements. Most people I know of that have eating disoders are not vegetarians, they are meat eaters with mental problems. Eating disorders have nothing to do with not eating meat. I have been a vegetarian for 20 years now and I am very healthy, not over weight and find it very easy. Over the years I have read tons of reports and studies from both sides and find that usually studies made against vegetarians are made from groups that profit from the meat business. They have changed the food pyramid because of the benefits of not eating meat. It is proven that a vegetarian diet is a healthier choice. But the question was about living green. Slaughter Houses are huge polluters. The land it takes to raise a cow for food you can feed so many more people raising crops in that same space. Doing what is best for the envioment is not always easy but to say that the meat industry doesn't hurt the enviroment isn't true. I'm not looking for a debate either and if you want to eat meat that is your choice. The questioned was raised on going green and that is a definate way to go green.

harlowandthemermaid
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Why?

Dryer sheets and fabric softeners are some of the most toxic household products. You'd be suprised at what is in them and how they effect the home environment.

merlinmagic4
07-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah another cloth diaper mama!!

We're on a fairly tight budget so I just use the Chinese Prefolds with, believe it or not, the vinyl covers from Walmart...and it works great..
I do have 4 Bummis wraps and 1 bumkin wrap that I use as well.

I'm going to go ahead here soon though and purchase 3 AIO's for nighttime just so their is a little more absorbancy. The CPF's get pretty soaked by morning!

My MIL bought us 12 of the bumGenius diapers when I expressed an interest in using them. She heads a big environmental organization here so was all for it!!

I found that once my son stopped nursing all night, the nighttime soakings got much better:thumbsup: