PDA

View Full Version : Universal Studios

DNS
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
We have not been to Universal Studios since 2000. I'm told that if you don't stay on Universal property (we are not) you cannot get express pass and they lines are about an hour long. Is this what everyone is finding?

Rockstar Boyfriends
07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Actually, if you're not staying onsite, you can buy the Universal Express pass. You can buy a pass for 1 park or both parks during your visit. Depending on the time of year, Universal Express passes can cost $20 during slow times to around $50 for busy times. You can use the pass 1 time for each show and attraction that utlitizes Universal Express.

If you don't buy the Express passes or stay onsite, try to arrive early so you can get most of the rides done before noon. Arrive around an hour before the scheduled opening time. The gates may open 30 minutes before the scheduled opening time, if the rides are ready. Arriving early is particuarly critical if you are visiting Islands of Adventure. I've arrived early and did the Incredible Hulk Coaster, Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, and Dr. Doom's Fearfall within 30 minutes. The wait times for these rides grow very quickly. Two Saturdays ago, the Hulk coaster had a 125 minute wait by noon!

The fallacy that I've been seeing on different discussion boards is that if you visit Universal and don't have Universal Express passes, you'll be standing on a perpetually long line. I say "Bah humbug!" to that. If you arrive early and negotiate the park to avoid long lines, you can experience most rides and attractions with a minimal wait.

DNS
07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh my! I just found the price of an express pass for $45.99 for one day! Plus the $64 to get in. Unless I'm looking at something wrong, this is just too much. That would be $110 for one day. Am I figuring this right? If so, I've made my last trip to Universal.

Rockstar Boyfriends
07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Are you going to Universal Studios Florida or Islands of Adventure?

It sounds like you're buying the one day ticket. A one day ticket to any WDW park would be $60+. Also for the Universal Express passes, purchasing them is an option, but not a requirement. If you arrive early, you can do the major rides with a short wait before noon. Personally, I feel my $45.99 can go towards food and souvenirs.

If you want to spend more time at Universal, use the $85, 7 day pass. Even if you use it for 2 days, it's still the best deal in town.

cjb121879
07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure where this information is coming from, but it is completely untrue. As the previous poster said, you can purchase the Express Pass, HOWEVER, I've found that to be unnecessary. I went to Universal for two days this past June (got the $86, two park, seven-day pass) with nine other people. We waited in line less at Universal than we did at WDW- by far. I believe that may be due to the fact that Universal guests seem to do less research and planning for this park than the average Disney visitor does (possibly due to less websites like this one and others, less tried and true touring plans and the fact that it is often just a side trip for people whose main objective is WDW). Both days we got there a little after opening and were able to knock out most of the major attractions we wanted to see- in some cases, we rode them twice!

My advice is don't let the express pass scare you. Forget it. Get there early, get the biggies out of the way and enjoy yourself. Islands and the Studios are beautiful parks that shouldn't be missed;).

DNS
07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
We used to spend a full day at Universal Studios, but have not been there since 2000. We were wanting to go again, but we were told that they now have this express pass that is free to those staying at a Universal hotel (we will not be), but if I am understanding their web site, the express pass is an additional $45.99 on top of the $64 to get in. Correct, you don't have to buy. I wondered what, if anything, this does to the line waits if you don't buy the pass. Sounds like maybe it's not as bad as I had imagined.

atruman
07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Relatively few rides at Universal normally have an hour wait time -just the really big ones. At Universal Studios, that would be Mummy and Men In Black, I think. At Islands of Adventure, Spider-Man, Hulk and Dueling Dragons. And on particularly hot days, the Popeye water ride.

The parks really do start to fill up around 11:00 or so, so getting there early will not mean you have to rush through, it just means that you will get more done early than if you wait until later in the day.

Or at least, that has been my experience.

jusandnew
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
The lines are sometimes long. when they are some of the workers will play music or games to make it interesting.The afternoon and early in the am is the best time to go.:thumbsup: