PDA

View Full Version : Line jumping vs. Holding a place

Disney Babe
07-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Just curious. What does DLR consider line jumping to be? This topic came up in conversation recently. I thought it was perfectly acceptable to hold a place in line for someone while they go to the restroom or even go over to get food for the group in a long line. Am I wrong?

I can see that some people probably take advantage of place holding and allow others in their group to go do another ride with a shorter line while waiting in a long line. But, what if someone in your group really needs to go and can't hold it? :blush:

Seasonscraps
07-25-2007, 06:39 AM
But, what if someone in your group really needs to go and can't hold it? :blush:

We wait for everyone in our group to go and get on line together.

I think line jumping/place holding creates awkward situations for the both the people coming back to the line and the people that were already waiting.

I can see doing it for an emergency situation regarding a infant/toddler/small child but not for adults to get food or something like that.

me...
07-25-2007, 07:11 AM
I always see it this way. If it's one or two people coming back from the bathroom/getting drinks it's okay but once it's a whole group cutting in front of people thats just wrong and won't be tolerated.

NY GOOFY
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I must confess. I am a place holder. My wife or I will get on a line while the other takes the kids to the bathroom. I was not aware this was frowned upon as I thought this was was common practice with kids.

mrp4352
07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
:thumbsup: NY Goofy - to me, what you do is perfectly acceptable. It's hard for little ones to stand in line anyway, and I would much rather they be happy, quiet and not needing a potty in the middle of the ride!

Belle619
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
No matter where we are, Disney or the real world, I think that if it is just one or two people coming into the line, then that is fine. But, if you are in line and a group comes and joins someone ahead of you, then that is different because that adds considerably to your estimated wait time.

Marla
07-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Here's my:twocents:If your entire party get's in line, and then a child annouces they need to go to the bathroom, it's okay for one adult to leave with that child. But, if an adult or child get's in line while the rest of your party (the amount of people in the party is not a concern, 1 or 8.) leave to take care of whatever kind of business, be it a drink or a bathroom break that is wrong.:nono:We go to the DLR often, and we have a friend that takes off ahead of us and always arrives in line a few people before us. We never jump the line and stand with her. She usually comes back to us. We believe that would be line jumping, cuts, whatever you want to call it and it's just plain rude.:tink:

2Epcot
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Because not everybody wants to do the same rides, sometimes we get seperated for certain attractions (especially with young kids). Often we will meet up at another attraction, where who ever gets there first is already in line. Usually this is just a couple of people coming into the line. Almost anytime I'm in the park, I will see this in whatever line I'm in. I'm never bothered by this because two or three people in front of me, has no measurable difference in my wait time. Of course a large group entering a line is a different story. As long as the people getting ahead of me are meeting someone who they know already in line, I don't have a problem. If someone is just cutting in, to beat the line, that's whan I have a problem.

IrishMickey
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I have to agree with 2Epcot, if they are meeting family/friends, it is ok. We usually travel as a small pack anywhere from 7-12 people, all ages, and we have never had any problems when are group gets seperated and rejoins us later in line. When they reopened POTC, it was virtually impossible not to be seperated from your group if you had to get in line and park a stoller, the Pirate CM even helped me find my family in the line. If you are not rude, you generally are allowed these little liberties. :mickey:

Chescat
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I have to agree also. We also let the people around us know, we got "X" amount of people coming. When we were in that 2 hour line for Nemo, you got to know the people around you. We'd hold places for them also when their kids wanted a churro or bathroom run. What I don't like was when there is a break point, there are always people that play dumb and seem to find the cut spot. Then we have a near riot. We notify the cast members but nothing ever seems to be done to the offenders.

I never did find out what started that big fight at the Mad Tea Party a while back, but hitting people in the face is a bit extreme.

Clotho
07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm never bothered by this because two or three people in front of me, has no measurable difference in my wait time. Of course a large group entering a line is a different story. As long as the people getting ahead of me are meeting someone who they know already in line, I don't have a problem.

Sure if only one person did this, no biggie. But if we're talking about this being "okay", then it's okay for everyone. Which means any number of people may choose to do this and add up to 20+ people to the line ahead of you on a busy day. Believe me, that will make a difference!

I think if the kids suddenly have to go potty, then leaving the line and coming back is fine. But purposefully putting someone in as a placeholder while you run to do potty or snack errands is wrong. Finish your errands THEN get in line.

teamblackwell
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi all,
I really don't have a problem with someone leaving line and coming back to their group. What I have a problem with is when someone(or many someones) join a group that was never in line to begin with. That makes me:mad:
For me, potty or churro runs are perfectly acceptable.
See y'all,
Teamblackwell

BrerGnat
07-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, apparently Nemo is the exception to this rule.

I was in line for the subs last Friday night. About 10 people ahead of us was an older teenaged girl, waiting alone, it seemed.

Just as we approached the loading area, a HOARD of family members swarmed into the line. First it was one small child, her younger sister, I presumed. Mom, dad, another little girl, and a sleeping toddler were outside the line, trying to convince the other girl to go ahead and join the other two. She finally decided to get in line. I deduced that the girls were cousins...THEN, the second girl's parents showed up, tagging with them a set of grandparents, and 4 teenaged boys. I kid you not when I tell you that everyone EXCEPT the mother with the sleeping toddler jumped right into line. This infuriated me to no end, and this all happened with about 4 CM's standing right there, who did nothing. I can honestly say that this probably DID prolong my wait by a measurable amount.

I found that to be excessive. We let them know it too, with some not so nice comments uttered (not really) under our breath...:blush:

JRocker
07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I typically don't let this bother me when I am at the parks.
However, no amount of excuses changes the fact that holding a spot in line for someone who is not there, is rude.
If you someone in your group needs to take care of some important business before they get in line, then the whole group waits for that person, outside of the line.

Holding a spot in line is rude. Sugarcoat it all you want, it is rude.

If you want to be rude....hold a spot in line for your buddies.

It's rude....but I don't let it bother me. I have better things on my mind.

meldan98
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
This last post has really struck a cord with me and not a good one! Don't call me rude if my 3 year old, who despite the fact that we take to the "potty" prior to getting in a long line has got to go while we are standing in a really long line, like Nemo. I mean, come one...have SOME compassion!!! We are going next week and we are going to do what ever we can to get in line so we don't have to wait more than an hour for Nemo, because I know my DD might not be able to wait an longer than that.

Disney Babe
07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes, it's unreasonable to expect no one is going to have to use the facilities once in line. It's hardest on kids, but even adults have trouble sometimes with waiting for an hour and a half or two hours in line! We all should be drinking water when it's hot. That water has to go somewhere! (Besides sweating it away.) And the fact is that most people are a bit off their normal diets when visiting an amusement park and some are guzzing down sodas! It's only natural that some folks are going to need to get out of line for a while, get into another line in the rest room, and then return.

tinkwest
07-27-2007, 11:28 PM
MODERATOR ALERT:
This is a topic that is bound to get individual opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in this case. There is no right or wrong answer. Please do not take things too personally or point fingers of blame at others. Discuss on a friendly basis.

DonaldDuck1117
07-28-2007, 02:15 AM
I can't stand line jumping for any reason. Don't care if you have to go to the restroom, get to the end of the line. Don't care if your 4 year old has to go to the restroom, get to the back of the line. It is called a line for a reason. If you can't hold it for 2 hours then do Fast Pass, THAT is the line reservation concept, it doesn't apply to the stand by line. If I see line jumping being done I alert the nearest Employee, complain and point the individual(s) out.

I would LOVE to know Disney's official policy on line jumping, considering that every other amusement clearly has their policy posted, usually with the consequence being removal from the park.

Clotho
07-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Funny, I was just about to chime in that I didn't know of anybody who would argue against needing to go or take a child once you are pretty far into a line (like a 45 minute-2 hour line), and just ducking out and coming right back. After all, most of the people in line behind that person would have gotten in knowing the length of the line. If it changes by ONE PERSON for 10 minutes that is no big deal. Then the post above came in and I was genuinely surprised.

It's those people who PLAN to come later, or duck out for most of the wait, that are the ones taking advantage. I just cannot see it as fair, in the other direction, for a family to wait for an hour when suddenly, unplanned, little Susan needs to go to the restroom, and you expect them to dive out of line and start all over? No no no....that would be cruel. (edited per TOS)

I think intentional taking advantage is one thing. A child or even adult's unexpected need should be sympathized with. We're human!!:confused:

NotaGeek
07-28-2007, 01:04 PM
MODERATOR ALERT

As tinkwest mentioned, this topic is always heated. Posts are to be directed to the topic ONLY. Please, do NOT address posts by individual and single them out because they do not share your views. This family is allowed to have different views, it's what it's all about, and our Terms of Service do not allow mean spirited or argumentative posts. Line jumping is a gray area. No one has specific rules, and lots of people don't have kids and feel differently than those people with families in tow.

Respect please. Now back to the fun.

DonaldDuck1117
07-28-2007, 05:13 PM
As I said above I would really like to know Disney's official stance on line jumping i.e. what is and what is not considered line jumping and what the consequences are for the violation.

I am a well traveled Amusement Park goer, I've been to hundreds of parks through out the country and almost all of them have their line jumping policy posted in writing for everyone to see, a lot actually print it on the back of their tickets.

But Disney doesn't do this, perhaps this calls for an e-mail to the Disney Company.

NotaGeek
07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
As I said above I would really like to know Disney's official stance on line jumping i.e. what is and what is not considered line jumping and what the consequences are for the violation.

I am a well traveled Amusement Park goer, I've been to hundreds of parks through out the country and almost all of them have their line jumping policy posted in writing for everyone to see, a lot actually print it on the back of their tickets.

But Disney doesn't do this, perhaps this calls for an e-mail to the Disney Company.

I agree, here's the Email For Disneyland Guest Services (https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage). When you get a response, please let us all know so this topic gets a final word! :thumbsup:

teamblackwell
07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi all,
NotaGeek, I've seen the MOD warning on this thread and I'll try to stay within the TOS on this post. The only time you notice someone leaving and getting back into line, is when they are ahead of you. The only time you see a CM is then your either entering a line or at the actual attraction, and the "line jumper" is long gone. So if someone is getting out of line to report others :whisper:, you might as well report yourself for line jumping too. RIGHT?
Just a thought.

p.s. have you ever been to a theme park in Europe? WOW! There are no lines, just a mob scene, the strongest get to the front of the line.