PDA

View Full Version : Disney Introduces Dual-Screen Mobile DVD

Figment!
07-24-2007, 11:40 PM
First look: Disney Dual-Screen Mobile DVD

By Dean Takahashi
Mercury News
7/24/2007

Watching movies in the minivan is never easy with three kids. We used to prop up a combo TV-VCR in the middle. Inevitably, one of the kids would have to crane a neck to get a proper view.

But the Disney Dual-Screen Mobile DVD system enables all the kids to watch more easily. It comes with two separate DVD screens with 7-inch liquid crystal display screens. The white players come with a carrying handle and a Bungee cord that wraps around seat head rests. You can also strap them down with a Velcro strap to make sure they stay in place. The screens come with customizable sleeves with Pirates of the Caribbean or Tinker Bell images.

You plug one of the displays into the car cigarette lighter. Then you connect the display via a 7-foot cord to the other display in the back seat. We had no complaints from the kids about being able to see the screens, but the movies made our 7-year-old lose her lunch during a long car ride. Still, it's a great way to avoid the "are we there yet?" questions.

disneyfan328
07-25-2007, 09:01 AM
any idea on how much these retail for?

TheRustyScupper
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
1) Such have been out for a LONG time.
2) The kids/grandkids have had them for 3-4 years.
3) Just not with a Disney-brand tie-in.
4) It will be interesting to see the price premium.

Some Current Dual-Screen Portable DVD's Available:
. . . Emerson 7" Screens - $120
. . . Audiovox 7" Screens - $150
. . . Coby 7" Screens - $156
. . . RCA 7" Screens - $189

Figment!
07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
any idea on how much these retail for? SRP is $179.99

magicofdisney
07-28-2007, 08:53 AM
We have a 7" that hangs from the top, center area. It's not OEM, we had it installed at Circuit City a couple of years after we got our van. My kids (all 4 or them) don't "strain" their necks trying to watch it. And why would someone want cords running all over their van anyway? I've never quite understood the fascination with these dual screen setups. It seems to me they'd be less safe in an accident if they "accidentally" came lose.