PDA

View Full Version : Disney Ships Possibly Leaving Port Canaveral?

Ed
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
From OrlandoSentinel.com

Disney ships may drift away from Brevard port
Jason Garcia

Sentinel Staff Writer

July 24, 2007

Nearly a decade after first setting sail, Disney Cruise Line executives are considering moving some of their operations away from Port Canaveral.

The company's inaugural contract with the Canaveral Port Authority is set to expire next summer, meaning its two ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder, could become free agents.

Representatives on both sides say they have begun negotiating a possible extension.

"We are having some discussions about the longer term," said Stan Payne, Port Canaveral's chief executive officer.

Disney officials say they have been pleased with their tenure at the Brevard County port, which sits just 60 miles from Walt Disney World and where the company waded into the industry by packaging three- and four-night Caribbean cruises with stays at its mega-resort.

But with fuel prices surging and the company planning to double the size of its fleet to four ships by 2012, they say Canaveral is no longer the only port that makes sense for their growing cruise line.

Tom Wolber, Disney Cruise Line's senior vice president of operations, said competing ports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale "are obviously other alternatives to be considered."

"As we are in negotiations, we look at all the potential opportunities that are out there. And our business model has changed over time," Wolber said. "There are pros and cons to each one."

Disney's flexibility

Disney's original deal with Port Canaveral included a number of perks.

Agreed to in May 1995, the terms required Port Canaveral to build a $26.2 million terminal to Disney's exact specifications -- Disney representatives had the right to inspect and order changes to blueprints at multiple points throughout the design stage.

Disney paid about $7.5 million last year to the port in dockage, parking and other fees. Port officials also say Disney and other big cruise lines bring millions in related spending, creating everything from concession sales to jobs.

What's more, the contract also gives Disney exclusive access to the terminal provided its ships make at least 150 calls a year, an obligation it has so far met. That prevents rival cruise ships that call on Canaveral from using Disney's terminal. It's the only time Port Canaveral has made such made an arrangement with a multiday cruise line.

Disney is likely to seek similar concessions as it discusses new terms with the port.

Payne said preliminary talks have focused on what improvements Canaveral must make to accommodate the company's two new ships -- 122,000-ton liners that will each be two decks taller and about 45 percent larger than the Magic and the Wonder.

The work will almost certainly entail millions of dollars' worth of upgrades around Disney's terminal, Payne said, from widening gangways to expanding parking lots.

"It's just a matter of planning both shoreside for a larger ship and landside for more passengers," Payne said.

Payne also expects Disney to seek a lower number of minimum visits its ships must make in order to maintain its exclusive terminal access and give the company more flexibility.

Disney appears in no rush to announce its plans. Its current deal with Port Canaveral includes options -- at Disney's sole discretion -- to extend by one year for each of the next 40 years. And the company has tacitly signaled its plans to extend at least once by accepting bookings for cruises out of Canaveral throughout 2008.

Maintaining ties

Analysts say there is almost no chance Disney would move completely out of Port Canaveral. It is, after all, the closest port to Walt Disney World.

But they do say there is a possibility the company could choose to move at least one of the ships and that it is unlikely, when the two new vessels arrive in 2011 and 2012, that they would position three at Port Canaveral.

Sailing out of Brevard County has its drawbacks. At about 200 miles north of Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades and even farther from the Port of Miami, Port Canaveral is much farther from the Caribbean, where Disney owns an island dubbed Castaway Cay.

"With fuel prices what they are, it's a significant cost to sail that extra couple hundred miles on every cruise," said Robert LaFleur, a tourism-industry analyst with the Susquehanna Financial Group. "You're probably talking thousands and thousands of dollars on every cruise."

Others say that as Disney has become more established in the cruise industry, it is catering more to sophisticated cruisers and less to customers who want to couple short cruise trips with visits to Disney World.

Indeed, Disney Cruise Line has already experimented with itineraries on the West Coast -- near Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. -- and in Europe. The Magic is spending this summer sailing 10- and 11-day Mediterranean cruises out of Barcelona, Spain.

"The Disney brand and franchise is clearly international in scope, and, as they have become more experienced in their operating of a cruise line and a fleet, this would translate very nicely to Europe and, at a point down the road, Asia," said David Leibowitz, an analyst with Burnham Securities.

Top officials at both the Port of Miami and Port Everglades say they have not seriously discussed hosting a ship with Disney.

Marilyn Green, the former cruise editor at Travel Trade magazine, said many industry watchers expect Disney to initially station its new, larger ships at Port Canaveral -- at least until a widening of the Panama Canal is completed -- while the two older ships are deployed to the West Coast and Europe. {emphasis added}

Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for Disney Cruise Line, said Port Canaveral will remain an important base for the company.

"We think it's one of the best terminals in the world," she said, though she added, "We're always in discussions with Port Canaveral on how to raise the bar."

Sentinel staff writer Beth Kassab contributed to this report. Jason Garcia can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5414.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's important to note that this is coming to light at a time when Disney is beginning negotiations with the port authority over a new contract; it could just be that Disney is making noise to get the port authority's attention. Personally, I can't see them leaving their present ideal location.

I found the one paragraph interesting - both new ships operating out of Port Canaveral, one of the older ships out of California, and the other older one operating in Europe. Sounds very possible. Stay tuned........

ElenitaB
07-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for posting this, Ed!

This is interesting and, indeed, the West Coast cruises have been very popular but I'm not so sure I wholeheartedly agree with the following:

Disney has become more established in the cruise industry, it is catering more to sophisticated cruisers and less to customers who want to couple short cruise trips with visits to Disney World.
Many do combine 3, 4 and 7 night cruises with a trip to the World (including me), and I'm not so sure they would be too happy with then going to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to embark on a cruise, incurring either a long-ish drive or another airfare and transfers, as per the following:

"With fuel prices what they are, it's a significant cost to sail that extra couple hundred miles on every cruise," said Robert LaFleur, a tourism-industry analyst with the Susquehanna Financial Group. "You're probably talking thousands and thousands of dollars on every cruise."

So what's more important... keeping your established client-base happy or saving thousands (which are distributed among the passengers)?

I agree that it sounds like posturing on DCL's part in advance of negotiations.

As for one of the older ships being deployed to California, lots of people have been asking for a DCL cruise to Alaska. Without a rather extensive retrofit, however, neither the Magic nor the Wonder could make that voyage. (We'd gladly take one of the ships up here in the Northeast.)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-27-2007, 11:25 PM
I hope they don't move all their ships. Getting to the port from WDW was so easy and convenient.

RobWreck
07-28-2007, 01:38 AM
I really can't imagine DCL moving the ships too far away from WDW (and I consider Miami to be too far away). Look at how many people put together a WDW/DCL combo vacation, whether booked as a DCL land & sea package or done on their own... I think that DCL would see a decrease in the ratio of new first-time cruisers vs repeat cruisers if they relocated too far away from WDW for a land & sea vacation to work.
Rob

TexasPrincessAurora
07-29-2007, 12:33 AM
For anyone who has made that drive from WDW to Miami on vacation you'll quickly realize just how long a drive that is. To keep DCL tied to WDW I don't see how they can move it from PC.

ElenitaB
07-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I've been thinking about this (yes, I have no life :blush: ) and I'm really wondering if DCL is ready to throw their hat into the more competitive southern Florida cruise market. We pay a premium to sail with DCL for Disney quality and I'm wondering just how successful they would be in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale market if they continued to charge substantially higher fares. Just a thought...

Ed
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Ellen, I seriously doubt they'll be leaving Port Canaveral any time in the foreseeable future. They've got it too good there. They have their own very nice building and dock (not shared with other cruise lines), they're conveniently located within an acceptable driving distance from both WDW and the two major airports (Orlando International [MCO] and Orlando Sanford International [SFB]), and there's not nearly as much competition at Port Canaveral as there is in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Less local competition and more convenient location equates to an ability to make more $$$ by charging their historically higher rates, and having their customers readily accept those rates.

Again, I really think this is just posturing on the part of DCL to try to get the Port Authority to panic over the possible loss of their best customer and sweeten the deal, possibly by offering some amenities such as improving the dock area to accomodate the new larger ships, perhaps a better deal with parking, stevedoring, security, baggage handling and all the other ancillary services required to support the operation.

I tend to believe that ultimately DCL will base both of the new ships at Port Canaveral, sending one of the older ships to Los Angeles and the other to Europe (possibly Barcelona) based on the very favorable reception of DCL at both locations. As the Magic (1998) and the Wonder (1999) approach the end of their service life, I suspect more new DCL ships will come into service and their placement will depend on which areas are the most heavily utilized. Few cruise ships are older than 20 years; for example, Carnival's oldest ship was launched in 1996.

Bottom line: I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I suspect that DCL will be pretty much a permanent fixture at Port Canaveral for many years to come.

ElenitaB
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
That said, I certainly wouldn't mind if one of the ships made a stop somewhere in New York harbor once in a while. It sure would be a nice second job for me to work at the terminal and also I'd love to walk down the block and the half to the harbor to watch a DCL ship sail by! :cloud9: