PDA

View Full Version : WDW tips needed

PAMOUSELOVER
07-24-2007, 04:18 PM
:mickey:
Hi, looking for all of you insider secrets, like rope drops, best places to watch the fireworks, parades, hidden mickey, etc.
Whatever you go, we will take it!

dinahvixen
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
My secret place to watch parades is on the sidewalk to the right of the firestation (looking at the station). It's right outside the Emporium doors and I like it b/c I don't like waiting forever for a parade and I can usually get there and find a spot and only wait 20 minutes. The parade starts right there.

grumpycajun
07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Whew! Tall order. There's so many. First, welcome to Intercot!:welcome: My best tip? Just keep logging on here and you'll learn all you need to know ... and then some!:mickey:

IloveDisney71
07-24-2007, 05:50 PM
My best tip when visiting WDW is to plan ahead and know in advance what you are dying to see so you can make those things a priority. Otherwise, you will probably be overwhelmed once you arrive because there is so much to see and do. :mickey:

mickey-mouse35
07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Just keep logging on here and you'll learn all you need to know ... and then some!

:ditto: This site has a wealth of info on the boards. Don't forget to check out Info Central!

My tip is to make ADRs for dining ahead of time if at all possible!

irish1967
07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Plan Plan Plan...

You can't do it all - don't try - our motto is "10 great hours with a 2 hour break in the middle"

Your library should have a whole shelf of books about Disney - go through all of them - you'll learn something different from each of them.

Also - check out Intercot daily - I've been to Disney probably 25 times and still learn something new every day!

DessertDivaFL
07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
One tip is to relax and have fun. Don't exhaust yourself by trying to get to everything. Schedule yourselves a break in the day.

You will walk your butt off so wear very comfortable shoes. If you are going in the summer wear sunblock.

As others have suggested, this website is awesome for great tips. Here is a link:
http://intercot.com/infocentral/misc/tips.asp

IrishMickey
07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Remember you can not see it all, it is just not possible. We went for 10 days and still did not see it all.
Here are the tips will tell others:
Plan as many ADR's as possible

No matter what they offer Planet Hollywood is just not a great place to eat.

Avoid the parks with the AM EMH, they are packed and so are the buses. PM EMH is great at AK.

The Breakfast at the GF is so yummy.

Use the Fantasmic Dinner Priority seating.

We usually get a yearly guide book (the official one is better than the unofficial one)

Ask all these lovely folks as many questions as possible, it helps so much and you really learn so much info.

Most important have fun, we really try to have as much fun as we possibly can and that makes the trip memorable. :mickey:

scootch713
07-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Avoid the parks with the AM EMH, they are packed and so are the buses. PM EMH is great at AK.

Can't say I agree with that unless fall is different than other seasons. For us... getting ot ANY park at opening time(or before with EMH) we have always gotten so much more done.

Take an afternoon break... even if your kids don't nap, just get out of the park.

Eat at odd times, saves alot of headache.

Go with the flow of the kids... my girls rode it's a small world over and over one late night... my sisterinlaw was with me and she thought I was nuts. Hey, there was no line, they were in "heaven" and when they are happy, so am I.

Don't miss Spectromagic at MK... my girls favorite thing of all times.

Burgers are huge at most counter... so we usually all split meals in some way. No way my 7 year old can eat a burger herself.

Buy autograph books ahead of time and even some souveniers if you find somethings on sale(example.. our dollar store has mickey paz despensers for a buch.. i got them and will pack them and they think they are getting a treat) ;)

Rent stroller for kid 7-8 and under... even if they are only in them a short time, well worth it.

if you plan to return.. and say you are only doing like 5 day this trip... buy a 10 day no expiration park hopper... saves you money and your next trip is paid for... plus saves you the inevitable price increase.

A character meal early on is nice, so your kids get their share of characters and you wont' have to stand in line at the parks for it.

As much as I HATe those ugly fanny packs, they do work great for keeping things organized.

Lastly.. as i could probably go on and on. Do as much "homework" before you get there. It will make all the difference in the world.

PAMOUSELOVER
07-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow thanks everyone!
I always thought the parade started at the other end, and ended there!

My secret place to watch parades is on the sidewalk to the right of the firestation (looking at the station). It's right outside the Emporium doors and I like it b/c I don't like waiting forever for a parade and I can usually get there and find a spot and only wait 20 minutes. The parade starts right there.

GhostHost999
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Just a few things to help you out.

1) My fave place for fireworks in MK is on the stairs or platform of the WDW railroad station...nice view from there.

2) To get to MGM, there's a boat the leaves from World Showcase in Epcot that not many know about. (It's between the Uk and France if memory serves right) and it beats taking a bus.

3) Many of the sit down restaurants have the same dinner and lunch menus only at different prices...have lunch at the sit down places and save yerself some $$.

4) A good time to hit big rides is during when the parades are on.

5) Take full advantage of the service that will ship souvenier purchases back to your room for you. Nothing worse than lugging huge shopping bags around WDW.

6) The other folks are right...Research will be your best friend. (probably should have put this first but you get the idea.)

LoriMistress
07-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Arrive at the parks before opening.

Using FP to your advantage.

Take breaks in the middle of the day.

Buzz_Burbank
07-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Just a note about the parades at MK. The daytime parade starts at Splash Mountain and ends on Main Street. Spectromagic (the nighttime parade) runs in the opposite direction. This holds true even when there are two showings of Spectromagic on the same day.

wdwfansince75
07-25-2007, 09:36 AM
For all groups of more than 1, but especially families....set a meeting place....make it one that is accessable, and where you won't be invisible. Best ones are ones with seating, like the Pavilion, lower level, or tables outside Pinocchio.

Line of Left is usually shorter

Park Hoppers are best solution to crowds!

Fast Passes for Must See's

Mid Day breaks for all!

Sometimes, breaks can be in Parks.....Ride the train around the park. Nap in Hall of Presidents or American Adventure. Pirates is always cool, and line is always indoors.

Have a plan, but don't carve it in stone! Stuff happens!

Some stuff is magic! At Disney World, sometimes there is a Pony in the Pile!

Maleficent's Dad
07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
The way you phrase the original post is a bit general! ;)

Best advice is to keep abreast of what's going on by checking here on Intercot! :rocks:

Be sure to make your dining reservations way in advance - getting into a restaurant (sit down) can be tough these days with the dining plan.

Slow down and smell the flowers (or take in the detail, or observe CM's at work) - you're on vacation in a magical place! It's not all about the parks! :mickey:

Darin M
07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Carry a poncho with you for those surprise sun showers that can last at 15 minutes long. My girlfriend and I did last year, and we were lucky as we got caught in one that seemed to last 25 minutes. We were at Epcot and ran from the Land Pavillion to the Universe of Energy. Fun times!!!

BMan62
07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
One more tip...

Pack me in your bag as a tour guide!!:D

dolphinmickey9170
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
My first tip - don't try to do it all in one day, you can't.

Use FP's as much as possible.

Use Fantasmic dinner package.

Stop and smell the roses; the sights, sounds, smells, everything.....phenominal.

Make your ADR's ASAP!! Don't wait. While there in May this year, so many people in the line to check into restaurants were turned away as there were no more seatings available.

Utilize the Dining Plan, if you are staying on property.

My final tip -- have a great time and enjoy!!

Fantasmic
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
This probably goes without saying, but drink lots of water.

If you're going to say, AK and go on Kali River Rapids, take a pair of flip flops to wear on the ride, and stash everything else in a locker before gettin in the queue. (I take this to the extreme and thow a bikini on with a poncho over it to minimilse wetness)

Utilise Fast Pass. It's a great time saver.