PDA

View Full Version : Please reassure me!

yasmina
07-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm starting to get really nervous. My girls 9 & 11 yo think we're going to Niagara Falls and Hershey for vacation. We've played along, telling them that we're staying in such-and-such hotels, we're eating dinner Friday eve. at the Skylon for my birthday, and so on. They're even planning their "fancy" outfits.

Well, they're going to get a call from "Donald" tonight between 5:30 & 6:00 PM. telling them they're going to DW.

I hope they'll be as excited as I think they will be, but I'm afraid they'll be disappointed not to be going where we originally planned.

At least dd11 will finally undedrstand why I've been reading Intercot so much! She keeps saying "Mom, why are you looking at that when we don't even know yet if we're going next year?"!

Keep your fingers crossed :thumbsup:

faline
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a wonderful surprise! Hope it all goes well!

tony2979
07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
It is SO going to be fine. I doubt Niagara Falls will even be on the radar screen after they get that call!!!

SBETigg
07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I think they will be pleasantly surprised. I can understand your nervousness, though. Try to relax. I know it would certainly make my day to be going to WDW instead of Niagara and Hershey. :cool: Not that Niagara and Hershey are bad- just that WDW is that much better.

mdearmas
07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
how did you make arrangements for that phone call? that sounds really cool! :goofy:

yasmina
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind responses. I'm sure you're right, that they will be so excited they won't even miss Niagara and Hershey!

yasmina
07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
how did you make arrangements for that phone call? that sounds really cool! :goofy:

I have a cousin In FL (!) who does a great Donald impression. :donald:

me...
07-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Let us all know how it goes : )

mdearmas
07-24-2007, 04:49 PM
lol that's hilarious! That would be such a great idea for disney to offer. :goofy:

PrincessCandaceMarie
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
how cool! be sure to post how it goes!:mickey:

caryrae
07-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I can't imagine any kid who would rather go to Niagara Falls instead of WDW. Man I wish my parents would have done that to me when I was a kid.

Will this be their first trip to WDW or have they been before?

yasmina
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
They've been the last 2 years, but they have absolutely NO idea about us going this year.

We told them that it would be at least next year before we go again.

I'm sitting here on pins and needles....

vamaggie
07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
How did it go? Were the girls excited?!? Would love to hear how it turned out!

yasmina
07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
How did it go? Were the girls excited?!? Would love to hear how it turned out!

Even better than hoped!!

They were SO excited! The 11yo had tears in her eyes. When I gave them their travel journals, it was even better. The little one - 9yo - said "you are the best parents in the world!"

Definitely no disappointment. In their words, Hershey is great, but Disney is, well, DISNEY!"

They screamed even louder when I told them we got a convertible for our drive to the beach on Sunday. Tween girls - go figure!

They did recognize their cousins voice, but that's OK. Even once they hung up, they still weren't sure it was serious. I showed them online photos of the hotel (had them ready), and they love the look of the POFQ - especially the pool (which is VERY important to them).

They swear they'll never be able to sleep tonight (which I was afraid of!:sleepin:), but that's fine!

I am so psyched! Can't believe we actually pulled it off! In their journals are several pages of Epcot questions and trivia. I told them that whoever finishes them - no competition - I will buy them a shell in Japan for their own pearl.Their eyes lit up at that - they are such girlie-girls :).

Well, gotta go finish packing. Sorry for the delay in letting you know how it went. First of course we had all the excitement, then I had to take the to Tamburitzans practice, then I came home to print our boarding passes and eat. So finally I have a moment.

To anyone with kids, I highly recommend surprising them once (I don't think you can get away with it more than that!). It is SO worth it!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I can't imagine that they won't be sooo excited. Let us know what happens.

SBETigg
07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
That's so great! I hope you have an amazing trip, and thanks for the update. You may want to have a backup plan in place for the pearls in case the Japan shopping area is down due to the restaurant rehabs in the pavilion. I think someone said they also do the pearl thing in Downtown Disney. Best wishes for a magical vacation!

DessertDivaFL
07-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Congratulations on pulling off a great surprise! :thumbsup: I know Hershey very well (I was born in Harrisburg and grew up in the area) but WDW is much more exciting.

HAVE A GREAT TIME! :minnie::mickey3:

Lizzie
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Congrats! And have a great trip. And yes they do the pearl in DTD I just don't remember right now.

steamboat willy
07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
You go Mom, hope you had help with this one.:thumbsup:
Have a great POFQ pool party. You the best!:cool:

Have Fun Girls!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-24-2007, 11:23 PM
So glad they were thrilled with their surprise..I figured they would be. :)

Have a great trip!!!

snifflesmcg
07-25-2007, 12:37 AM
That's great. I don't know where you live but if you live anywhere close to where I do, Niagra Falls and Hershey are only a few hours. You guys can do that anytime:).

Dsnygirl
07-25-2007, 03:41 AM
:mickey: Oh, I am so glad it went so well... I can't imagine that they wouldn't have been excited!! My girls would just think they'd died and gone to heaven.... I'm so glad they're thrilled! You've bumped up my enthusiasm for trying to pull off the same thing next year.... Have a GREAT time!! :thumbsup:

yasmina
07-25-2007, 07:30 AM
That's so great! I hope you have an amazing trip, and thanks for the update. You may want to have a backup plan in place for the pearls in case the Japan shopping area is down due to the restaurant rehabs in the pavilion. I think someone said they also do the pearl thing in Downtown Disney. Best wishes for a magical vacation!

Thanks for reminding me! I do remember now someone saying that.

We rented our car from Avis at the Hilton, so Monday, when we return it, our plan is to spend some time in DTD, so that works out perfectly!

yasmina
07-25-2007, 07:31 AM
That's great. I don't know where you live but if you live anywhere close to where I do, Niagra Falls and Hershey are only a few hours. You guys can do that anytime:).

I think we're on the other side of the state - near Pittsburgh. You're right, we can do Niagara and Hershey any time, within just a few hours.

yasmina
07-25-2007, 07:35 AM
:mickey: Oh, I am so glad it went so well... I can't imagine that they wouldn't have been excited!! My girls would just think they'd died and gone to heaven.... I'm so glad they're thrilled! You've bumped up my enthusiasm for trying to pull off the same thing next year.... Have a GREAT time!! :thumbsup:

I don't know how old your girls are, but oh man, it was torture for me. DD11 kept asking why I was looking all the time at the Disney World discussion board. She said "I don't know how you can look at that since we don't even know when we're going back!".

But it was SO worth it! I told dh last night that their reaction was worth every penny we have spent and will spend. It's definitely a trip they'll never forget!

:mickey:

TooGoofy
07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Just a little reassurance...the Pick a Pearl station in Japan is still open. I got a pearl there in early July.

Have a magical trip!

yasmina
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Just a little reassurance...the Pick a Pearl station in Japan is still open. I got a pearl there in early July.

Have a magical trip!

OH thank you!

DizNee143
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
that is sooo awesome!! im glad your girls were surprised!! hope you guys have a great time!! :mickey:

positive0negative
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Glad it worked out! I would have been really nervous too.
I remember one time my parents came into the room (I really specifically remember the rerun of Full House I was watching, don't ask me why.) and offered me and my sister either to go out for ice cream or to take what was in the box they had with them. I was thinking "what's so great that you can put in a box that small?"
Of course, a trip to Disney was in the box. SO MUCH better than ice cream.

angedeaile
07-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Glad it worked out! I would have been really nervous too.
I remember one time my parents came into the room (I really specifically remember the rerun of Full House I was watching, don't ask me why.) and offered me and my sister either to go out for ice cream or to take what was in the box they had with them. I was thinking "what's so great that you can put in a box that small?"
Of course, a trip to Disney was in the box. SO MUCH better than ice cream.

That is too funny! How badly would you be kicking yourself if there was just a penny in that box. If I were you, I would have picked ice cream and lost.

Then again, I was use to my parents messing with my head. One time, I was 5yrs old, I was giving my mom a hard time and didn't want to go grocery shopping with her. So the next day, she told me we were going to Disney World. She told me to get in the car and I remember saying, "we don't have anything packed!" When we stopped, we were at the grocery store parking lot. From that day forward, I knew anything involving disney from my parents would be a joke. *shakes head*

Glad it worked out for you though :p