PDA

View Full Version : Gotta see

pox24
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
We spent the weekend at SSR and had an opportunity to tour the new models being built at the AKL. The STudio and 1BR were fabulous. If you have any doubt about joining the DVC, these gorgeous accomodations will convince you.:thumbsup:

Horizon93
07-24-2007, 03:13 PM
That is one of the big reasons we chose AKV as our home resort. They are incredible. And I hear the actual ones very much live up to the model rooms and are even better. Can't wait to go!

TooGoofy
07-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Me, too!
I knew that we were going to buy DVC at AKV, but the rooms exceeded my expectations. And can you imagine how it will be with the animals wandering around outside? I can't wait!

Becky'sMom
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
lol, yes, I can imagine how it will be with the animals wandering around outside....SMELLY!
Especially in the hotter, more humid months....but I think I'd put up with it - after all, it's giraffe and zebra, not cows.
Lauren

TooGoofy
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
lol, yes, I can imagine how it will be with the animals wandering around outside....SMELLY!
Especially in the hotter, more humid months....but I think I'd put up with it - after all, it's giraffe and zebra, not cows.
Lauren

Actually there is no noticable smell from the savannah. We have been to AKL in June and July, and have never noticed any smell at all. The keepers are very good about picking up the waste, which is then composted and used by Disney's Horticulture Department.

pox24
07-25-2007, 09:46 AM
No way. We have stayed there on four occasions, all on the savannah and never got a whiff of animal. Only the aromatic smells of JIKO and BOMA.:thumbsup:

Becky'sMom
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
That's good to hear!
I love the idea of standing on my balcony and watching a savannah full of African animals, but I was concerned because while house hunting once, we looked at a beautiful home that happened to be across the way from a bison farm - it was a hot August day, we were down wind and the smell eliminated any interest we may have otherwise had in the house!
Lauren

dolphinmickey9170
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
We'll be checking them out in August. Can't wait. But I still will wait to add on (hoping the Contemporary rumor is true)!! We'll just have to wait and see.

pox24
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Ya know, we did see the construction up close last weekend and they are drilling for pilings right now. Pilings usually mean a structure with a displaced load. Hence , a high rise. Maybe there is a new DVC called the Magic Kingdom Villas in our future.

Horizon93
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
We'll be checking them out in August. Can't wait. But I still will wait to add on (hoping the Contemporary rumor is true)!! We'll just have to wait and see.
We were kind of thinking the same thing. But we also think that AKV will have the most distinct theming and will be in great demand. We are thinking of adding more AKV points at some point and maybe adding a small interest in BWV since we love F&W.

Can't wait to stay at AKV. Nothing was available there for our next trip, but I will be waiting for that 11 month window to open for the one after that!

pogo
07-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Actually there is no noticable smell from the savannah. We have been to AKL in June and July, and have never noticed any smell at all. The keepers are very good about picking up the waste, which is then composted and used by Disney's Horticulture Department.

No way. We have stayed there on four occasions, all on the savannah and never got a whiff of animal. Only the aromatic smells of JIKO and BOMA.:thumbsup:

Sorry to say this, but My DW and I went to AKL last April while we were staying at the Poly and the smell of the animals was very strong. My DW said to me, "why would anyone want to wake up to the smell of that when they can wake up to the smell of flowers" ? :confused:

We ruled AKL out at that time and as we toured DVC this past April we looked at the AKV models but we are not interested in buying into AKV. :sorry:

pox24
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Never heard that before. You're the first. All the animals are brought in every night and released again each morning by a special q. Except the birds of course. Least that's what the tour said. I guess trainers forgot to wash them behind the ears that time.:D

pogo
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I guess trainers forgot to wash them behind the ears that time.:D :funny:

Sorry to say ..... but it's true. :D

Becky'sMom
07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I used to run a pet sitting service...one of my clients was a dog breeder with 25 animals. She had a large fenced in area where the dogs could hang during good weather - they were brought into their runs at night.
We made 3 visits a day and cleared the yard of waste in addition to other chores.
Maybe in AKL they clean up more often than that, maybe the person who had a bad experience happened to be there just after one of the animals relieved themselves in just the wrong place with just the wrong wind....but, I can say that with 3 clearings a day, there was still a smell in August at the kennel....
I guess we'll have to hear from someone who stays at the Lodge facing the Savannah for a few days in August to be sure.
Lauren

TooGoofy
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Well, July is just as hot as August in Florida and I had no complaints. In fact, I was able to talk with one of the keepers as she was cleaning up the savannah in front of our room. It's an ongoing all day process of cleanup. I'm sorry that Pogo did not have the same experience I did.

DestinationWDW
08-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Sorry to come in on this late.....newcomer to DVC section at rate....Just got home from Disney today....did the DVC tour and DH and I are considering buying....AKL beautiful! Of course can't compare because we haven't seen anything else.....reading here brings to mind...Does Saratoga allow sleeping for 3 children like AKL 1 bedroom does? Thanks for taking "newbie" question!

WRWDisney
08-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Sorry to come in on this late.....newcomer to DVC section at rate....Just got home from Disney today....did the DVC tour and DH and I are considering buying....AKL beautiful! Of course can't compare because we haven't seen anything else.....reading here brings to mind...Does Saratoga allow sleeping for 3 children like AKL 1 bedroom does? Thanks for taking "newbie" question!

Nope, the sleeping arrangement on the one bedroom at AKL is unique for DVC. Also the additional bathroom is unique. Both make AKL a great choice for families of four (or five) that plan on using a one bedroom on a regular basis.